Literacy in the Coalition States

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

CombatMedic
D-Bee

Re: Literacy in the Coalition States

Unread post by CombatMedic »

RE: Grunts, how many come from the Burbs, wilderness and rural communities, etc?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd say you're probably looking at 40-50% from the Burbs (serving to get citizenship), 30-40% from the cities, and the last 10-30% from wilderness communities. The wilderness and rural folks don't provide nearly as many, because there's more opportunities for work out there. In the Burbs, joining the CS Army is a great way to get money and maybe a chance to get loved ones inside the cities. In the cities themselves, its a form of work, and one that gains prestige and pays well enough.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
CombatMedic
D-Bee

Mark Hall wrote:I'd say you're probably looking at 40-50% from the Burbs (serving to get citizenship), 30-40% from the cities, and the last 10-30% from wilderness communities. The wilderness and rural folks don't provide nearly as many, because there's more opportunities for work out there. In the Burbs, joining the CS Army is a great way to get money and maybe a chance to get loved ones inside the cities. In the cities themselves, its a form of work, and one that gains prestige and pays well enough.

Sounds good to me.
Thanks!

I imagine sitting all day in your crappy warren-like block apartment, eating soylent teal , and watching loads of propaganda (there's not much else on the screens; even kids shows and music videos are all state-created brainwashing stuff) will indeed drive many lower class city-dwellers straight into the arms of the military. Excitement! A chance to get outside with a las gun and kill some stuff. Respect. More attention from the opposite sex.
And if you bite the dust, at least your next of kin gets a bonus on his/her welfare payments.
CombatMedic
D-Bee

CombatMedic wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:I'd say you're probably looking at 40-50% from the Burbs (serving to get citizenship), 30-40% from the cities, and the last 10-30% from wilderness communities. The wilderness and rural folks don't provide nearly as many, because there's more opportunities for work out there. In the Burbs, joining the CS Army is a great way to get money and maybe a chance to get loved ones inside the cities. In the cities themselves, its a form of work, and one that gains prestige and pays well enough.

Sounds good to me.
Thanks!

I imagine sitting all day in your crappy warren-like block apartment, eating soylent teal , and watching loads of propaganda (there's not much else on the screens; even kids shows and music videos are all state-created brainwashing stuff) will indeed drive many lower class city-dwellers straight into the arms of the military. Excitement! Opportunities for advancement. Better chow. A chance to get outdoors with a las gun and kill some stuff. Respect. More attention from the opposite sex.
And if you bite the dust, at least your next of kin gets a bonus on his/her welfare payments.

That's assuming they aren't simply conscripted.

No doubt one of the books makes it clear if there is a draft.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

There's not a draft. The CS Doesn't need a draft. They've got people living in what we'd call tent cities or hovels around their Megacities, waiting years for the chance to join the CS via military (or other) Service.

The newest book says that after the Minion war gears up on Rifts Earth (While also saying it's been going on for 300 years) That the Emp put out a speech and one million people from out side the CS joined the military. Poof. One speech and the CS which already had 2.5+ Million troops, just signed up another million flat.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
CombatMedic
D-Bee

Pepsi Jedi wrote:There's not a draft. The CS Doesn't need a draft. They've got people living in what we'd call tent cities or hovels around their Megacities, waiting years for the chance to join the CS via military (or other) Service.

The newest book says that after the Minion war gears up on Rifts Earth (While also saying it's been going on for 300 years) That the Emp put out a speech and one million people from out side the CS joined the military. Poof. One speech and the CS which already had 2.5+ Million troops, just signed up another million flat.

Thanks for the info.

This makes sense. The incentives to join up are pretty strong for a large number of people.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Before that they got so many to sign up for the tolkeen war, that at the end of the war, even with all their losses, the CS broke "even' on troops.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

CombatMedic wrote:

Sounds good to me.
Thanks!

I imagine sitting all day in your crappy warren-like block apartment, eating soylent teal , and watching loads of propaganda (there's not much else on the screens; even kids shows and music videos are all state-created brainwashing stuff) will indeed drive many lower class city-dwellers straight into the arms of the military. Excitement! A chance to get outside with a las gun and kill some stuff. Respect. More attention from the opposite sex.

"Would you like to know more?"
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
CombatMedic
D-Bee

Mark Hall wrote:
CombatMedic wrote:
"Would you like to know more?"

Indeed.

Just what for the great campaign against the Xiticix (or however the word is spelled).

Return to “Rifts®”