Unbreaking Rifts Earth - would like your thoughts.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kaid
Knight

Re: Unbreaking Rifts Earth - would like your thoughts.

Unread post by kaid »

Yes getting people to let you build them is the big problem but it seems like the most solid plan that is pretty well established in cannon to retame rifts earth.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Here's an idea that isn't well-established in canon: deplete the ley lines.
While there is nothing I know of stating directly that ley lines are finite resources, we do know that the lines on Rifts Earth are supercharged, which means that their power levels are variable.
When a bunch of people died, their PPE went into the lines.
That's the root problem.
So find a way to take that energy back out.

One way might simply to keep using the lines for energy. Craft TW devices that run automatically, taking PPE directly from the lines. Have mages suck energy out as fast as the can.

Another way might be to breed/create more and more psi-stalkers, and have them feed on the ley lines.
Ideally, find a way to make it more palatable.

Or the answer might be as simple as breeding a lot.
IF the PPE of living creatures goes into the ley lines after death, it MIGHT come from the lines in the first place. In which case making more babies could deplete the lines eventually.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Here's an idea that isn't well-established in canon: deplete the ley lines.
While there is nothing I know of stating directly that ley lines are finite resources, we do know that the lines on Rifts Earth are supercharged, which means that their power levels are variable.
That's the root problem.

One way might simply to keep using the lines for energy. Craft TW devices that run automatically, taking PPE directly from the lines. Have mages suck energy out as fast as the can.

Another way might be to breed/create more and more psi-stalkers, and have them feed on the ley lines.

IF the PPE of living creatures goes into the ley lines after death, it MIGHT come from the lines in the first place. In which case making more babies could deplete the lines eventually.

All of which is predicated of course on the idea that the ley lines are not actually self maintaining.
Which is... to be honest, a bizarre notion.
-Regardless of the number of mages tapping them they can not be depleted, even a Ley Line Storm will only temporarily deplete the energy in a local area.
-And the lines are connected to the rest of the multiverse via the constant network of dimensional portals (and quite possibly other things if Rifter 73, TtGD, and BTS1 are to be believed) which,
-Then there is the fact that the various other 'hyper level worlds' have been at it for thousands of years
-And the fact that the last time anyone was able to affect the energy level of a planet was the Atlantian Cataclysm...
all of which suggest that simply using up PPE is not going to do anything at all.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Here's an idea that isn't well-established in canon: deplete the ley lines.
That's the root problem.

All of which is predicated of course on the idea that the ley lines are not actually self maintaining.
Which is... to be honest, a bizarre notion.

Wouldn't want to add anything bizarre to Rifts.
:)

-Regardless of the number of mages tapping them they can not be depleted,

Source?

even a Ley Line Storm will only temporarily deplete the energy in a local area.

So ley lines can be at least temporarily depleted.

-And the lines are connected to the rest of the multiverse via the constant network of dimensional portals (and quite possibly other things if Rifter 73, TtGD, and BTS1 are to be believed) which,

Rifts seem more like something that uses energy than something that transmits it.
Don't know what other things you're talking about, so I can't comment there.

-Then there is the fact that the various other 'hyper level worlds' have been at it for thousands of years

Not sure what information you're assuming based on that fact.

-And the fact that the last time anyone was able to affect the energy level of a planet was the Atlantian Cataclysm...

I'm pretty certain that the Nuclear-triggered magic apocalypse affected the energy levels.

all of which suggest that simply using up PPE is not going to do anything at all.

Not so much, IMO.
How much do you want to argue about this one...?

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The danger with "depleting" ley lines is you may put them dormant like precataclysm rifts which is just setting the volcano to blow again at some future time. Probably better to bleed it off and cap it in a controllable way than risking going back into an unstable dormant cycle.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

kaid wrote:The danger with "depleting" ley lines is you may put them dormant like precataclysm rifts which is just setting the volcano to blow again at some future time. Probably better to bleed it off and cap it in a controllable way than risking going back into an unstable dormant cycle.

One world in the Phase World setting managed to seal all its ley lines (it was said to be even more active than Rifts Earth at the time) but it took a massive, one of the kind ritual by everyone on the planet and it somehow sealed the entire species so as to never be able to work magic again and have almost no PPE. Doesn't seem like the best solution, plus you'd never get enough people on Rifts Earth to cooperate with something like that anyway.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

kaid wrote:The danger with "depleting" ley lines is you may put them dormant like precataclysm rifts which is just setting the volcano to blow again at some future time. Probably better to bleed it off and cap it in a controllable way than risking going back into an unstable dormant cycle.

I think that the CS would be good with putting them back to precataclysmic Rifts.
It did take a nuclear attack + a certain rare cosmic alignment in order to set off the first cataclysm, so as long as nobody killed masses of people at the wrong time, it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, they lines might be able to be sapped down below pre-Rifts levels. Just keep draining them constantly.
(assuming that they could be drained in the first place)

Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

I think that the CS would be good with putting them back to precataclysmic Rifts.
It did take a nuclear attack + a certain rare cosmic alignment in order to set off the first cataclysm, so as long as nobody killed masses of people at the wrong time, it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, they lines might be able to be sapped down below pre-Rifts levels. Just keep draining them constantly.

Well the back story on Atlantis was that they did some ritual/accident that drained the level of PPE resulting on a loss of magic.
So by cannon it can be done. We just are not told a way to do it.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Well the back story on Atlantis was that they did some ritual/accident that drained the level of PPE resulting on a loss of magic.

And that the process of doing so involved breaking the dimension :lol:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest

eliakon wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

And that the process of doing so involved breaking the dimension :lol:

Details!

Return to “Rifts®”