TSAW 3.0 ... The REF and Third Robotech War.

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

:::Continues to take notes and pays attention to what is going on around him in the lecture.:::
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

*Looks at WO1 stokes chin and smiles* okay I can see I'm wrong but some of you now how hard it is to give up your first love.*mutters out loud* Not that the enforcer knows what love is.Any way LT what are your thoughts on the VF-1X and the Beta fighter.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

batlchip wrote:*Looks at WO1 stokes chin and smiles* okay I can see I'm wrong but some of you now how hard it is to give up your first love.*mutters out loud* Not that the enforcer knows what love is.Any way LT what are your thoughts on the VF-1X and the Beta fighter.

"(Jerks thumb at Enforcer next to him) You know, she can hear you; not that I'm going to share what she thinks of -you-....Ah, the Beta, an Invid squadron's worst nightmare next to pilots named Bernard Corgslayer...Again, I'd heard rumors we were working on our own version of that particular mecha...The VF-1X? Never heard of it, but then again your numerical designations tend to be rather confusing anyway..."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
batlchip
Hero

*looks calmly at the front row* You mean Scott Benard, yeah he's pretty good read some reports of the stuff he did I was mildly empressed.*thumbs nose at enforcer*You know if your people weren't so hard up on killing us you might be treated better.Both Regis and Regent failed to understand that.Although, there are some who are willing to just lay down and die.The REf and the RDF are filled with fighters and we will not just lay down and die.

ooc:The VF-1X is in Strike Force which is both a Palladium Book and a RPG.I thought that GB can describe it.:
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

A squadron leader under my command after the occupation, use to pilot a Super VF-1S with the VWC pods attached to the hardpoints. He used the gun pod VWCs. Three on each wing plus the one underneath. Seven gun pods firing at once! That was a sight. He called it the "Grim Reaper".
Aramanthus
Monk

:::Pulling notebook out of coat pocket and joting several different notes in it.:::
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
batlchip
Hero

*looks hard at Admiral*I used to know a couple of pilots who used the VWCs.One of them used a sensor pod to get over the alpha's sensor problem.There where 2 major drawbacks to the VWCs.One was the pods could jam if fired for more the five minutes.You had to give them a break after every 2-3 minutes.If you used the gun pods you could only fire strait ahead they where fixed foreward.Targets moving faster than 75-100 mph needed a called shot to hit.*smiles*If I used them I'd go with the enhanced combat computer,radar,2 short range mpods and 2 GU-XXs
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
taalismn
Priest

"mmmm...they actually trusted you with ordnance? Actually the VWCs were a fairly common piece of hardware encounted among the Resistance...The Southern Cross made enough similar podded weapons for their various non-mecha aicraft and the Eastern powerbloc of your world was apparently quick to copy them...Many of them were cached in various field depots, enough that they quickly ended up in the hands of Resistance, local militias, and the few remaining Malcontents and their Stingers...Of course, after the Battle of Reflex Point, some of our evolved Scientist caste were quick to see the potentials in the idea and managed to adapt, under the pressure of being hunted simply for the color of their blood, some of them quite effectively to our own mecha...
In my own opinion, the VWC was quite an interesting idea....and I've wondered why more provision for carrying similar units wasn't made in more of the REF mecha..."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

AdmTolval wrote:A squadron leader under my command after the occupation, use to pilot a Super VF-1S with the VWC pods attached to the hardpoints. He used the gun pod VWCs. Three on each wing plus the one underneath. Seven gun pods firing at once! That was a sight. He called it the "Grim Reaper".

"I remember him....enough tracer we thought he was carrying energy weapons at the time...Whatever happened to that madman anyway? Last I saw of him, his VF-1 and my Gorse were hunting each other on foot in a canyon system after our ammunition racks ran dry...I always presumed he slipped past me in the river somehow..."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

*Admiral looking thoughtful for a moment*

Major Muldoon died after the war back in 2050. There still things our science can't cure. Muldoon led the 13th squadron after the war based out of the New Phoenix space station in orbit of Jupiter. He was a survivor of the Invid Genesis Pits and a good friend. Muldoon didn't hate the Invid like some and had actually worked with a stage 5 after the war on a joint covert action.

OCC In memory of Durant, a good friend and a great role-player. June 19, 2000.
batlchip
Hero

You know according to my reports the REF stil uses themLooks right at the admiral and clenches his fists*I do not hate the Invid. I just take the killing of my comrads very personaly*unclenches fists and sighs*Look I came in here to listen to a class not open scars.So,I'm gonna make nice and even give you a clue. As to why I look like I do. Wrong place during a screw up.

ooc:I think where not being fair to Glitterboy I mean this is his forum.I would like to read what he has to say :oops:
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

OOC Nobody is stopping GB from posting or slowing anything down. I always thought these classes were a good place to share ideas for our own games and a chance to role-play characters with each other.
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Lt. Isle, what have you found out about the capabilities of the VWC in your research?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

for those of you that are interested, i was in the 23rd squadron when flying for Jupiter Division. operating off the Yorktown, an Ikazuchi class carrier variant. before that i was shuffled around several squadrons, mostly because our squadrons would be depleted by attrition and the survivors merged into temporary units. by the time the new recruits filled in the TO&E holes, i would find myself transferred to yet another unit. i always wondered why. maybe there was a bug in the assignment system.

as for the VF-1X and the VWC pods, the Colonel covered those in depth in course TSAW 2.1, Reconstruction period.

i'm not sure why the VWC pod capability was not implimented in the Alpha or Beta, but i suspect it was space issues. the Alpha's stubby wings and small size would mean that only a single pod would fit per wing and that pod would not only take up the entire wing, but would have very little ground clearance. it would also interfere with the firing of the leg mounted missiles and the transformation routine. on the Beta the wings needed ot be able to slid into the arm grooves for battloid mode and to reduce storage space, which likely kept any hardpoint system from being added.

(OOC: the VF-1, by the time we are setting this little RP session in, would be 60 years old. and this is no B-52. while i'm willing to accept a 40 year service life for the VF-1, i can't see it seeing much use invid invasion and beyond, due to the age of the design and the fact that both the REF and ASC have other designs that do the same jobs just as well or better)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

OOC: In my old campaign, we had followed the timeline on the Third Invid War website. Earth was the only planet still using VF-1s but they were no longer produced. In a new campaign I'm putting together, the year is 2085 and only modified Super VF-S fitted with a extra chair are used for special missions. Even then they are being mothballed for the Delta (Super Alpha from Masters Return, rev.).
Aramanthus
Monk

:::Continues taking notes. Then stops suddenly! His head comes up dramatically and he again reaches into his boundless pockets, his hand comes out with and small palm sized item. He slides a stylus out of it and begins typing at an incredible rate. (figure about 250 words per minute) He smiles broadly.::: "Found them!" uttered very loudly in class. :::Then realizes he shouted after a few seconds and after everyone is looking at him. He smiles sheepishly.::: "Excuse me! And pardon me I'll be right back my lunch seems to be coming back on me." :::Departs room leaving his stuff on the table. Less than three minutes later he returns to the classroom. He walks up to the Lt. he has several items in his hands. He offers them to the Lt. running the class room, then returns to his seat and continues taking notes after the classroom returns to normal.:::

The objects are a long weather beaten silk scarf with the intials RH. There is a picture taken a long time ago (say about 2020) with Rick and Lisa and the stranger who just handed the Lt. the material in the picture. On the back is the it say Thanks for the Wedding present Xavier! Love Rick and Lisa. The third object is a data crystal which has a green post it note on it saying SDF3 galac loca MGPA -235.345.534, 130.356.012, 012,190.287.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

AdmTolval wrote:OOC Nobody is stopping GB from posting or slowing anything down. I always thought these classes were a good place to share ideas for our own games and a chance to role-play characters with each other.

That we certainly are....I originally wasn't intending to do much with the 5th stage Invid beyond a cameo, but he's starting to grow on me, as well as give me some ideas for perspectives 'from the other side'.... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

OOC. That sounds pretty reasonable Taalismn!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

"If only we had the same record with older designs....Our 'Gurab' was our equivalent of your VF-1...our first truly effective multi-purpose mecha....but it was nowhere near as effective in aerial and deep space combat as the Ligaa, which suffered terribly from light armor, a lack of versatility, and a lack of space for substantial modification...Whereas the Gurab had its share of experimental models that the Humans never saw...That's what I did mostly, working my way up as a test-pilot equivalent from Ligaa to Gurab, then to the Gamo...our first real attempt to create a multi-weaponed mecha in the human model... and the Gosu...even tried my hand at a Speeder the Regis had lugged along for some reason....
Then again, that way of development seemed appropriate to us at the time...since becoming a Stage Five, though, I seem to suffer from a 'need for speed', as well as a 'need for armor' and a 'need for big freakin' guns'....Seems like something inherent in the form...

But teh Gurab ended up fitted wqith a variety of different weapons fitouts, including the first missile systems we ever used, before they got finalized as part of the Gosu...and we kept the standard Gurab around for much longer than your VF-1s...so I'd hardly consider the design 'ancient' by our standards...but by your own fast-paced ever-must-be-improved norms, it apparently was."
Last edited by taalismn on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

:::Continues to take notes. while listening to the various questions.:::

HH....FIE
batlchip
Hero

*Leans back and puts both feet on the emty chair in fornt of him.*I don't use my old VF-1S super anymore nor do I use an Alpha.I'm the best at what I do.Heck,I had to be Fokker was my squad leader so was Max at one time.It doesn't matter if a veritech is 40 or 60 years old. If the brass wants to use it will be there.*Looks at bespectacled man*If most of my missions weren't classified I could tell you what mechs I used.

ooc:Okay just trying to be fair that's all.As for the old VFs still being around read the back of the REF field guide it notes that there is a squadron of RDF mecha.This book also mentions the REF/Sentinels.so if ther is one squadron of RDF mecha there's gonna be more and kevin himself said that the RDF mecha could hold up in combat against the Invid and the Masters:
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

There are very few Missions that command would want a VF-1 for that a Alpha Beta team could not do as well or better. the Valkyrie is one of my favorites, and i would love to see it continue in service, but the design is more than 50 years old, and hasn't seen an updating in 30 years. the remaining planes are old, and while well maintained, are getting hard to keep operating.

OOC: the reason the VF-1 wouldn't see much use beyond the master's era is the same reason the F-14 got retired in reality. still a great plane, but the design was getting old, the planes themselves were getting worn out, and the missions it was flying could be done by more recent, cheaper and easier to maintain craft, so it got phased out.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

:::Continues taking notes, then one hand reaches into another pocket and pulls out a little wallet which is then flipped open and reveals a certificate that indicates ownership of an old valkyrie with pics of it and the man taking notes.::: (Date on photo indicate a date 20 years in the past.)

HH....FIE
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Major Fury wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:There are very few Missions that command would want a VF-1 for that a Alpha Beta team could not do as well or better. the Valkyrie is one of my favorites, and i would love to see it continue in service, but the design is more than 50 years old, and hasn't seen an updating in 30 years. the remaining planes are old, and while well maintained, are getting hard to keep operating.

OOC: Is it just me or is GB starting to sound like Silvie Gina from Macross 2? :lol:

OOC: i don't whine enough...
i'll see what i can do about getting the next session up soon, it's final week for the summer semester so things are a bit busy.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

Take your time GB! Study so you get great grades for your finals!

HH....FIE
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

OOC: I know what you are going through GB. I started back to college this summer after being out for 12 years. I've got two exams and a paper this week.
Aramanthus
Monk

That can make for a busy and very short summer!

HH....FIE
batlchip
Hero

*A tall female LT Commander with an eye patch walks in followed by 2 MPs.She walks over to the RDF LT and whispers in his ear.The LT gets up and walks out with the guards.*Sorry for the disruption folks but the Lt isn't supposed to be in here.*She takes the now empty seat*I heard what you were saying about the old VFs Lieutenant.I use to use the old VF-1S super.Than I switched to the VF-1X as well as the Vindacator.I never liked not having the radar range that the VFs had.I also like the fact that you can use the VWC with the VF-1X.

ooc;I understand why the military is phasing out the F-14,Anyway time moves on for all things even for the old VFs.According to the SFB the VF-1X was a direct predecessor to the Alpha.I'm sure there are at least some of them around I mean there not that old.:
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Aramanthus
Monk

:::Still taking notes. Noting in another note book about the switch in people within the meeting.:::

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Congrats on your promotion!

HH....FIE
batlchip
Hero

You know I once got ambushed by a pair of Invy speeders I was in a VF-1X all I had to do was change to Jet mode and boost up.I than pulled a hammer head move and blew them both away.If I had been in a alpha I would've been toast,because the Invy speeders are a just as fast as an alpha.Have any of you ever tryed to fight enemy FPAs,fighter pods,or master assault carriers.these things are bloody fast. Way to fast for the slow alpha.*She crosses her arms and leans back in the chair*Now I know the Legios is cheaper but you have 2 trained pesonel as well as 2 mecha to lose.If the squad is a buch of VF-1Xs you only lose 1 pilot and to me that means less losses in combat.*Looks at WO1 and gives her a puzzled look*

OOC;I have to agree with ya Dracurian this is alot of fun.I haven't talked with my fellow peers in 2 years.Oh,and congrats Fury on your new rank :D
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
taalismn
Priest

batlchip wrote:You know I once got ambushed by a pair of Invy speeders I was in a VF-1X all I had to do was change to Jet mode and boost up.I than pulled a hammer head move and blew them both away.If I had been in a alpha I would've been toast,because the Invy speeders are a just as fast as an alpha.Have any of you ever tryed to fight enemy FPAs,fighter pods,or master assault carriers.these things are bloody fast. Way to fast for the slow alpha.*She crosses her arms and leans back in the chair*Now I know the Legios is cheaper but you have 2 trained pesonel as well as 2 mecha to lose.If the squad is a buch of VF-1Xs you only lose 1 pilot and to me that means less losses in combat.*Looks at WO1 and gives her a puzzled look*

"The speeder was one of those pieces of hardware even Hive-linked Invid Enforcers wanted...why the Regis didn't approve their wholesale manufacture on Earth, I do not know...save perhaps that they were an affectation of her unmissed mate the Regent...That it was the Elite Enforcers who piloted them was another sign of the Regent's equal infatuation with elite formations like he saw the Masters using....The Regis only brought a few to Earth and allowed her Science caste to test them, then promptly mothballed them, and made Liguaa units do the same jobs that speeder-equipped Enforcers would have done....A real pity...I found them fast and responsive as an Enforcer AND as a Stage-Five...Certainly fast enough to run down Bioroids....and even adapted to run with Human-manufactured protoculture cells, the performance hasn't suffered any...Trust me, humans, racing in a Cyclone down a roadway has NOTHING on cruising in a speeder nape of the earth, whoch suggests to me why the Elite wanted these things all to themsleves....
Now if only I could find a good autoshop and mechanic to re-detail the exterior so the old Hive-drab color scheme didn't stand out so much ..."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

*Nods and smiles at the new Lt. Col.*

OOC Congratulations! Does your group do anything special for high rank promotions like this? We always did alittle in of character and some out of character stuff.
Aramanthus
Monk

:::Smiles as his listens to the other speakers. Continue note taking. Makes a specific note about a date for tea with someone with the intials L&RH, M&MS appears on the top of his note pad that he is taking note on. The date is for three years in the future.

OOC::: I hope it doesn't take you 16 more years to achieve your goal of full bird colonel.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Lt Colonel Fury wrote:
AdmTolval wrote:*Nods and smiles at the new Lt. Col.*

OOC Congratulations! Does your group do anything special for high rank promotions like this? We always did alittle in of character and some out of character stuff.

OOC: We roleplayed it, but truth be told it was an excuse for him to enter semi-retirement as he was the longest lived character in our group having first been rolled up about 16 years ago. Now he'll be a part time PC/NPC. He's also the first PC to reach a senior officer position in any of our games. Thanks guys for the congrat posts. Now he only has 1 rank to go to be same rank as his namesake the famous comic book character Nick Fury. :D

We'll start polishing up an Ikzachi Carrier in anticipation...unless you'd rather like an ARMD with Zentraedi anti-grav drives installed?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

"mmmm....That does raise some interesting thoughts....Is THAT what that extra control pad on my dashboard does? Glad I haven't played with it in a populated area then...." :D

(Meanwhile the Enforcer looks down at the scattered seeds by its feet...and does a remarkable imitation of a double-take for a being with no apparent facial features...)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

:::Pulls a device out of his pocket and offers it to the spherian. He speaks into the device and it translates his language to hers.::: "This is a translater Lt. Please feel free to use it and keep if you want. I've got several of these somewhere nearby all of the time."

HH....FIE
batlchip
Hero

*The RDF guy walks back in and sits next to the tall woman.She looks at him*I told you I'd make sure you went to the ceremony.*he gives her a weird look then leans back and puts a toothpick in his mouth.So what I miss?*The woman looks over at the new light bird * I always thought the Invy were smarter than what most people think.

ooc:The RDF guy is a character I have had since I first started playing Robotech thought I'd bring him back in.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Aramanthus
Monk

:::Takes the translator back while smiling at the spherian. Who was babbling incomprhenisbly a few minutes before. scribbles a note in another notebook.:::

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

OOC... Sorry I missed the part about her readjusting her language to english. :oops:

HH....FIE
batlchip
Hero

*Tall woman sits up and looks at the LT* I heard that Col.Wolf was allowed to have hover tanks in his squadron.But,I also heard there where more than that in the REF.Is this true
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
taalismn
Priest

(Meanwhile the Enforcer has caught the attention of its Stage Five companion and is showing him some of the seeds that dribbled down from the rear seat tiers....The Stage 5 roosters an eyebrow at the small thing, then risks a quick look over his back at the man in the spectacles...)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
batlchip
Hero

*RDF LT Cmd. spits out toothpick and pulls out a cigar and puts it in his mouth.T-woman looks at him and lifts an eye brow.*I assume that everyone in this class has seen the white elephant.So,my next question would be how many of you have fought the Invy organics?*She looks at the enforcer*Did killing any of them hurt your collective or were they just non-feeling drones?

ooc:Louie was a cool character.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
taalismn
Priest

Dracurian wrote:
taalismn wrote:....The Stage 5 roosters an eyebrow at the small thing, then risks a quick look over his back at the man in the spectacles...

::Bespectacled figure appears not to notice the stage 5 quickly looking & seems content to continue taking notes whilst finishing off the seeds.::

8-)

(The Invid takes another look at the seed in his hand, sniffs at it..."Columbia...before the rains." he concludes, and flips it into an ashtray before turning his attention back to the lecture...)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Lt Colonel Fury wrote:I've fought the Regent's inorganics especially the Odeon and the Regis' RCBs and no offense meant to our Invid friends here but I'd rather fight the RCB. No matter how much it seemed you hit the Odeon that SOB would just keep coming. At least with stage 5 Invid at the controls of a RCB, unless they were total nutjobs like Corg, they had some sense of self-preservation and would pull out of a fight if they took enough damage. You want to talk about something frightening try leading a squad of Cyclones on the battlefield with 20 Odeons bearing down on you and a very small avenue of escape behind that could close at any second. The only reason why I'm even here right now is due to the speed and agility advantage the Cyclone has over the Odeon.

"Tactically the Inorganics were brilliant...cheap, expendable, unstoppable...not having a large and bulky life support system to protect they could be built like a brick and concrete waste disposal structure....and so what if they were slow? March enough of them, and we could overrun a Bioroid base camp...keep them from keeping a foothold on a planet...Bioroids can fly only so long before needing someplace to refuel, re-arm, and their pilots to eat, sleep, and relax for maximum efficiency...Yes, even the Class One clones, because they were based on essentially human material, needed to slow down and rest, and that wasn't ideally possible out in the field...
Strategically the Inorganics were a mess...They were controlled by an Invid Brain, which was typically located right in the heart of the nearby Hive...which was almost always the biggest and most obvious structure around...and which would attract the most fire. Once the REF figured out the way to knock out the Inorganic force was to go after the Brain, they'd only deploy enough troops to draw out the Inorganics, then slip in a commando team to kill the Brain...or if they were less concerned about taking the Hive intact, bombard it from orbit until the shields collapsed...
Only late in the Regent campaign did some of his more independent -minded commanders figure out how to hide the controlling Brain in less obvious locations...like already bombed ruins, or under a lake, or other location...but by that time the Regent had pretty well lost the war...

Sure, an RCB with a self-realized pilot would be easier to intimidate than an Inorganic, but did you also notice that if you nuked the RCB's mother Hive, the RCB and other mecha didn't all go dead or into 'zombie-stupid' mode? Chain of command dropped to the independent minds, and more often than not the Stage Fives could rally the troops and at the least direct a fighting fallback..."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

batlchip wrote:*RDF LT Cmd. spits out toothpick and pulls out a cigar and puts it in his mouth.T-woman looks at him and lifts an eye brow.*I assume that everyone in this class has seen the white elephant.So,my next question would be how many of you have fought the Invy organics?*She looks at the enforcer*Did killing any of them hurt your collective or were they just non-feeling drones?

"They were drones in the truest sense...Without the Brain directing them, they had limited independent action....A Stage One could out-think them when they were on their own...Which made them so attractive to us as a weapons systems....

As unstable as he was, the Regent did do one thing right....He cared enough about the wellfare of his own people that he had the Inorganics developed to soak up enemy fire in the expectedly brutal task of planetary ground fighting....The whole Regis/Regent split wasn't simply about her being unfaithful to him, or what form the Invid were going to take, or how best to kill the Masters...it was also a custody battle about who best could protect and take care of the Invid people, insuring their safety...The Regent wasn't going to score points by crushing the Masters and driving hs race into extinction in the process...Combat with the Zentraedi and their own experience fighting for survival taught the Regent and his Invid that the Masters and their allies would fight their fiercest on their home ground, so the usual tactics pioneered under the Regent and Regis when they were still cooperating with each other would not work...The effect would be akin to your own American tribe's Operation Olympia and the invasion of the Japanse home islands during your Second Global Conflict....We'd have won, but the losses would have been atrocious...

Interestingly enough, the Regent might well have taken a page from the Masters and tried his hand at developing space-based drones if the war with the Masters had continued on...whereas when the Regis reached Earth, she'd have used the same tactics as always with crewed mecha....And if Humanity hadn't have been so beaten down by the Masters, it would have been an Invid Operation Olympia...The Regis might have gained control of the surface, but her Invid would have been so depleted, the future of the species might well have been jeopardized...."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
batlchip
Hero

*T-woman looks right at the bespectaled man taps her eye patch and smiles.She then looks at the LT COl.*I once was assigned a LRV-588.On a support mission of cyclones.I recall we lost alot of good people because we couldn't outrun the Invy.We had to call in a squad of Legios to save us.After that I refused to use any of the mecha under 16 feet tall.
Almost all of the Invy mecha fly faster then the cyclone.So ya better hope your in a forest or a cave.

ooc:I'm not really bashing the cyclone I think its a awsome design I just wish it was alot faster that's all.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
taalismn
Priest

Dracurian wrote:::Bespectacled figure raises an eyebrow, & mumbles::

"Did not know the Regent had Human-form Invid, Interesting,"

::Makes a very specific note on the clay tablet he has been using all seminar::

8-)

"He didn't...however, he did make rather more use of more independent-minded Stage Fours...Tesla being the most infamous example...than the Regis did. Remember, the Regent had no grand evolutionary ambitions consuming his attention, but he did have to reign over a considerable volume of space....and even with the vaunted telepathic abilities of my people..the 'hive collective'...communicating telepathically over interstellar distances was problematic...and communications hold empires together...So more often than not, the Regent didn't exercise direct control over his forces in the field, but delegated it to select Stage Fours...'Stage Four-and-a-Halves' if you will, since they typically acquired a more individualistic mindset than the average Stage Fours...prsent company accepted(nods at the Enforcer next to him)..
They still weren't up to the same degree of self-actualization as a human commander of equal rank, though...that wouldn't be seen until the Stage Fives, like myself, would be evolved, and thus they tended to lean heavily on the crutch provided by the Hive Brains...though sometimes that relationship became strained with the Stage Four's evolving consciousness coming to odds with the programmed doctrine of the Brain...the Regent's 'commissar', if you would... This meant that in some cases, the REF would be surprised by Regent field commanders who deviated from the standard Invid tactical norms...THe REF often took advantage of the communications lag between Invid outposts in their 'star-hopping' campaign strategy, but it also meant that relative isolation could result in some rather independent-minded Invid individuals appearing on the scene, born of necessity.

On Earth, of course, the Regis was only concerned with maintaining control of a single planet, and with her grand evolution project, which required concerted effort of ALL her Children, so telepathic lag wasn't a problem, and all the Invid on Earth could act as extensions of her will....
She was also much better at telepathic communciation than the Regent...perhaps it's a female trait...even to the point, I've heard, that she could reach into human minds and take partial control of them, at least when they were in a receptive unconscious state...so individualistic Stage Fours won't stand a chance of retaining their isolation from the collective...
UNLESS you were one of the ones that got re-assimilated from the Regent's old forces....With a few noticeable exceptions, the Regis had the most trouble with her own people with integrating some of the older high-stagers from her Regent's forces back into her portion of the race...Some readily re-embraced the maternal collective, but a few never did wholly re-assimilate...Most of these Invid ended up getting killed early on to Human Resistance due to carelessness on their part..or perhaps an unconscious rejection on the part of the Regis-Collective...but a few ended up as her field-commanders and future Stage Fives...

...So you could say the Regis's problems with her own Children started well before she created Invid in the Human form. "
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Lt Colonel Fury wrote: I've also witnessed on the battlefield what appeared to be a Red Enforcer seem to be able to give limited orders to a group of Inorganics after the nearest Brain was apparently dealt with, ie the closet hive went BOOM! I can only conclude that this was somehow due to the Invid "Collective Intelligence" in some way.

"As I've mentioned...some of those older Stage Fours were EXPERIENCED...The Regent may have lacked the finesse at evolving Invid that the Regis did, but he could still 'promote' Invid...and many Stage Four field commanders once served as Red Enforcers..."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Dracurian wrote:
taalismn wrote:[
(The Invid takes another look at the seed in his hand, sniffs at it..."Columbia...before the rains." he concludes, and flips it into an ashtray before turning his attention back to the lecture...)

::unnoticed by anyone, the carelessly discarded seed rolls itself out of the ash-tray, up the tiers, & floats in to the bespectacled figures waiting hand. the bespectacled figure is pleased that there are no Garudans who witnessed it::

8-)

(The Stage Five patently ignores the spectacle of a floating seed...if the Human wants to show off, it's his problem....)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”