Northern Gun 1 & 2

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Re: Northern Gun 1 & 2

Unread post by gaby »

Well I hope they have a Map of Upper Michigan.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Mmmm, yeah that would be nice. It annoys me that a lot of books, sometimes that even deal with specific geographic areas are extremely thin on the ground when it comes to maps of the area.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I could always use more detailed maps myself.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
earthhawk

Unread post by earthhawk »

Maps for Rifts have always been a point of contention; when there are maps published in books, they are usually sketches, a few lines drawn, several boxes and rectangles, and maybe a compass pointing north. On a positive note, being that this is Rifts, you can always grab a map real-world map and use that instead. Not only is this easier than than trying to interpret the piblished map, it's also more immersive to the for the GM and players.
Icefalcon
Champion

earthhawk wrote:Maps for Rifts have always been a point of contention; when there are maps published in books, they are usually sketches, a few lines drawn, several boxes and rectangles, and maybe a compass pointing north. On a positive note, being that this is Rifts, you can always grab a map real-world map and use that instead. Not only is this easier than than trying to interpret the piblished map, it's also more immersive to the for the GM and players.

I would love love a full color, full detail map for Rifts. It would be incredibly useful to have exact positions of cities and ley lines as well as determining how much the terrain has changed all over North America.
earthhawk

Icefalcon wrote:
earthhawk wrote:Maps for Rifts have always been a point of contention; when there are maps published in books, they are usually sketches, a few lines drawn, several boxes and rectangles, and maybe a compass pointing north. On a positive note, being that this is Rifts, you can always grab a map real-world map and use that instead. Not only is this easier than than trying to interpret the piblished map, it's also more immersive to the for the GM and players.

I would love love a full color, full detail map for Rifts. It would be incredibly useful to have exact positions of cities and ley lines as well as determining how much the terrain has changed all over North America.

A map of Rifts earth would be awesome... but I don't see that happening soon if ever. Maybe they'll do a Megaversal Insider for it, lol...
Icefalcon
Champion

earthhawk wrote:A map of Rifts earth would be awesome... but I don't see that happening soon if ever. Maybe they'll do a Megaversal Insider for it, lol...

Even if they did, I would not participate. I am disappointed in the present Insider delays.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Icefalcon wrote:I could always use more detailed maps myself.

Check out Mobuttu's map.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
azazel1024
Champion

What would be really cool is if at some point PB created the map and just hosted it through their website for one and all. It would make pushing out updates easy when new books came out and new sections of Rifts get detailed.

Just a thought.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

azazel1024 wrote:What would be really cool is if at some point PB created the map and just hosted it through their website for one and all. It would make pushing out updates easy when new books came out and new sections of Rifts get detailed.

Just a thought.

That would require palladium to be more tech inclined.... We could do something with google earth though.
azazel1024
Champion

Daeglan wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:What would be really cool is if at some point PB created the map and just hosted it through their website for one and all. It would make pushing out updates easy when new books came out and new sections of Rifts get detailed.

Just a thought.

That would require palladium to be more tech inclined.... We could do something with google earth though.

Not really. They have a cutting room floor section. Easy enough to just post a decent sized JPEG or a couple of them detailing some maps of Rifts Earth (and/or other locations, like PFRPG, Three Galaxies, etc) and then if/when the occasion calls for it, just update the JPEG and repost it.
earthhawk

azazel1024 wrote:
Daeglan wrote:

Just a thought.

Not really. They have a cutting room floor section. Easy enough to just post a decent sized JPEG or a couple of them detailing some maps of Rifts Earth (and/or other locations, like PFRPG, Three Galaxies, etc) and then if/when the occasion calls for it, just update the JPEG and repost it.

Well according to the latest post they don't have the time, money, or personel to do much of anything.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

earthhawk wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:
Daeglan wrote:

Just a thought.

Well according to the latest post they don't have the time, money, or personel to do much of anything.

And the first sticky thread in this forum has a map in it that is very good.
Icefalcon
Champion

Well, as of today's Press Release, these books have been pushed back another month.
earthhawk

Icefalcon wrote:Well, as of today's Press Release, these books have been pushed back another month.

You won't see any books until late spring early summer.
Icefalcon
Champion

earthhawk wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:Well, as of today's Press Release, these books have been pushed back another month.

I already figured that.
earthhawk

Icefalcon wrote:
earthhawk wrote:

I already figured that.

Personally I've stop caring about Palladium, and Rifts in particular. Instead, I've started playing Iron Kingdoms; easy system, great support, well thought out lore, and fun to read. I'm more eager to see the reaction to the next Megaversal Insider, now that will be interesting.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

earthhawk wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
earthhawk wrote:

I already figured that.

Personally I've stop caring about Palladium, and Rifts in particular. Instead, I've started playing Iron Kingdoms; easy system, great support, well thought out lore, and fun to read. I'm more eager to see the reaction to the next Megaversal Insider, now that will be interesting.

Figures they did unspeakable things with the canid. :roll:
Yup; once again PBooks... delaying product to ensure "quality" -_-
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

More like delaying the books because they have unrealistic expectations of themselves and should learn to just say coming soon and not promise a date till it gets to the printer. Sure say what phase you are at but they need to stop lying to themselves and everyone else about the dates books are coming out. Just be honest and only promise a date when the book goes to the printer.

Every other publisher seems to have figured this out.
earthhawk

Daeglan wrote:More like delaying the books because they have unrealistic expectations of themselves and should learn to just say coming soon and not promise a date till it gets to the printer. Sure say what phase you are at but they need to stop lying to themselves and everyone else about the dates books are coming out. Just be honest and only promise a date when the book goes to the printer.

Every other publisher seems to have figured this out.

I agree 100%. If they would just be upfront about dates, I think you would have fewer fans upset when the release dates are pushed back, especially if you participated in the Insider. Then again, if you've followed Palladium for any length of time you already know that release dates don't mean anything at all. Books come out when they come out.
Icefalcon
Champion

It is all fine and well to say that if you have followed Palladium for any length of time, you should expect delays and shouldn't be surprised that release dates are pushed back. But, what about new customers? All of these broken promises and unrealistic Murmurs just drive them away after Kevin breaks promise after promise and misses release date after release date.
Icefalcon
Champion

I bounce back from day to day in feelings towards the delays in this book. On the good days, I just want them to get these books done and in my hands. On the bad days, I feel like withdrawing my money and support from them.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Icefalcon wrote:I bounce back from day to day in feelings towards the delays in this book. On the good days, I just want them to get these books done and in my hands. On the bad days, I feel like withdrawing my money and support from them.

I sympathize and understand your frustrations and concerns, but I ask of you to "please..." bare with us as we are cranking out NG as fast as we can now, with quality in mind & heart. We want this to be an auto-buy for GMs & adventurers. It's the type of thing where We want to give you all the best stuff I wished I had in or for a campaign, but the deadlines have wrung the bell and now we are racing to the class before the professor's door shuts to turn in my dissertation.
Icefalcon
Champion

Premier wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:I bounce back from day to day in feelings towards the delays in this book. On the good days, I just want them to get these books done and in my hands. On the bad days, I feel like withdrawing my money and support from them.

I sympathize and understand your frustrations and concerns, but I ask of you to "please..." bare with us as we are cranking out NG as fast as we can now, with quality in mind & heart. We want this to be an auto-buy for GMs & adventurers. It's the type of thing where We want to give you all the best stuff I wished I had in or for a campaign, but the deadlines have wrung the bell and now we are racing to the class before the professor's door shuts to turn in my dissertation.

I am trying to be as patient as I can for this book. Some days it is hard. One of the reasons I have not withdrawn my support is because I really, really have been waiting for a book about Northern Gun since I started the game. I am looking forward to owning them. The problem comes from having money tied up in books I do not have in my hands. I cannot, in good faith, buy anything else from Palladium until they can deliver on something they already have my money for. I do not have the kind of money to keep buying book after book, especially with Palladium's shipping prices, every month. I can afford to spend the $120 (+shipping) that I have tied up in these books every three to four months. Because I play other games, from other companies, I have to try to keep up with their releases as well. If they can keep releasing a book a month and I have all of my money tied up in Palladium, I cannot afford to play those other games. Therefor, I have to spend my money where it will do the most good (in this case, the company that is actually releasing books) so that I have something to show for my spending.

Besides, my wife will not let me buy from Palladium until the books I have already paid for arrive.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

My wife doesn't 'forbid' me to buy anything new from Palladium till NG 1 and 2 come out.

She ---does--- rather snarkily ask me any time I want to buy anything else.... if I've received my NG books yet. *Twitch*

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Icefalcon wrote:
Premier wrote:

I am trying to be as patient as I can for this book. Some days it is hard. One of the reasons I have not withdrawn my support is because I really, really have been waiting for a book about Northern Gun since I started the game. I am looking forward to owning them. The problem comes from having money tied up in books I do not have in my hands. I cannot, in good faith, buy anything else from Palladium until they can deliver on something they already have my money for. I do not have the kind of money to keep buying book after book, especially with Palladium's shipping prices, every month. I can afford to spend the $120 (+shipping) that I have tied up in these books every three to four months. Because I play other games, from other companies, I have to try to keep up with their releases as well. If they can keep releasing a book a month and I have all of my money tied up in Palladium, I cannot afford to play those other games. Therefor, I have to spend my money where it will do the most good (in this case, the company that is actually releasing books) so that I have something to show for my spending.

Besides, my wife will not let me buy from Palladium until the books I have already paid for arrive.

Clearly understandable and the best I can do to assist your concerns is to be sure that I turn in everything as speedily as possible, as most is already turned in. NG shouldn't be much longer in the wait though as I too have been stoked about the release of this title. Your support and patience won't be taken lightly.

Thanks,
Chuck
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Premier wrote: Clearly understandable and the best I can do to assist your concerns is to be sure that I turn in everything as speedily as possible, as most is already turned in. NG shouldn't be much longer in the wait though as I too have been stoked about the release of this title. Your support and patience won't be taken lightly.

Thanks,
Chuck

I'm very much looking forward to your work and the books. The teaser images we've seen look great. Both new and 'classic' stuff done extremely well there. :ok: Keep up the good work man.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Icefalcon
Champion

Premier wrote: Clearly understandable and the best I can do to assist your concerns is to be sure that I turn in everything as speedily as possible, as most is already turned in. NG shouldn't be much longer in the wait though as I too have been stoked about the release of this title. Your support and patience won't be taken lightly.

Thanks,
Chuck

Thanks for the kind word Chuck. I am looking forward to your work. Most of your stuff is redefining the look of Rifts in my eyes. It is inspiring and appreciated.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Perez, Mumah, and Walton.

They visually define Rifts for -me-.

Icefalcon
Champion

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Perez, Mumah, and Walton.

They visually define Rifts for -me-.

I have always like Perez and Mumah. I liked Breaux's visuals of weapons, armor and vehicle. However, Chuck is introducing me to new looks that are appealing to me.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Do us a favor though and avoid including a super secret organization that is hidden at the heart of NG. That no one notices. Has unlimited resources. Lead by a nutcase who is willing to sacrifice anything and everything including NG. Rifts has enough of those imo.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Ninjabunny wrote:Just saying keep an eye out for your favorite long eared ninja on NG2 :P

The one from Rise of the Guardians? I got him as a McDonalds toy today. :) Throws a boomerang and all!

Icefalcon
Champion

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:Just saying keep an eye out for your favorite long eared ninja on NG2 :P

The one from Rise of the Guardians? I got him as a McDonalds toy today. :) Throws a boomerang and all!

Yeah, he is all cool and stuff. Until he becomes small and cute that is. :lol:
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Icefalcon wrote:

Thanks,
Chuck

Thanks for the kind word Chuck. I am looking forward to your work. Most of your stuff is redefining the look of Rifts in my eyes. It is inspiring and appreciated.

Thanks again Icefalcon, much appreciated and love the support and confidence. I am also very humbled with your vision of Rifts being inclusive of my contributions. I am simply pushing myself artistically?creatively to not only draw something that I think looks cool, but I really want it to be a part of the setting and function as it should belong to that setting or manufacturer aesthetic in the case of NG. NG stuff should look like NG stuff, Triax should look Triax, Free Quebec should look and feel FQ and CS, well, we all know who they are...

It can get weird when you begin to take into account the various levels of technology, resources, restrictions and manufacturer hierarchy when you have to draw something. Super advanced or alien technology can be pulled off with nearly miraculous designs without drastic needs for believability for it to function. But when it comes to things that require it to look like it actually functions and works based on the level of technology, resources, restrictions, etc., that the manufacturer utilizes, then the gears have to get rolling to fit what has been described by the Writers. NG is a heavy hardware resource that gamers should have had many years back, lol. I think we would all have respected the other goodies much better, but I'm betting NG will help give a healthy dose of reality for gaming.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Thanks,
Chuck

I'm very much looking forward to your work and the books. The teaser images we've seen look great. Both new and 'classic' stuff done extremely well there. :ok: Keep up the good work man.

Why, Thank You Kindly Pepsi Jedi,
I am humbled and glad to be a contribution to the production of NG and the setting. When you mention classic, I have to chuckle (punt intended) as I didn't know how I was going to revamp a few things, especially with crotch guns as in the NG Hunter(ARGGHH. :x :? ..It was a major: scratch-your-head-askin-yourself, "why did I say I would do that one again" kind of stuff goin on. As to the new, that's the easier stuff. It was items like the new that I wished we had in campaigns or that I could give to my players to toss them around more. :lol:
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Are you meaning to tell me that there is a sleek NG stealth power armor with enhanced sensors and jamming equipment built into the retractable ear modules, armed with vibro sabers, springer jump jets and forearm firepower running around in the North? I know that's not what I was just thinking, was it?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Premier wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Thanks,
Chuck

I am humbled and glad to be a contribution to the production of NG and the setting. When you mention classic, I have to chuckle (punt intended) as I didn't know how I was going to revamp a few things, especially with crotch guns as in the NG Hunter(ARGGHH. :x :? ..It was a major: scratch-your-head-askin-yourself, "why did I say I would do that one again" kind of stuff goin on. As to the new, that's the easier stuff. It was items like the new that I wished we had in campaigns or that I could give to my players to toss them around more. :lol:

LOL Yeah the crotch gun bot was exactly the one I was talking about when I mentioned classic ones. I even had shown it to my wife the other day pointing out that you some how made that one look good, -inspite- of the crotch gun.

Icefalcon
Champion

Premier wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

Thanks,
Chuck

Thanks again Icefalcon, much appreciated and love the support and confidence. I am also very humbled with your vision of Rifts being inclusive of my contributions. I am simply pushing myself artistically?creatively to not only draw something that I think looks cool, but I really want it to be a part of the setting and function as it should belong to that setting or manufacturer aesthetic in the case of NG. NG stuff should look like NG stuff, Triax should look Triax, Free Quebec should look and feel FQ and CS, well, we all know who they are...

It can get weird when you begin to take into account the various levels of technology, resources, restrictions and manufacturer hierarchy when you have to draw something. Super advanced or alien technology can be pulled off with nearly miraculous designs without drastic needs for believability for it to function. But when it comes to things that require it to look like it actually functions and works based on the level of technology, resources, restrictions, etc., that the manufacturer utilizes, then the gears have to get rolling to fit what has been described by the Writers. NG is a heavy hardware resource that gamers should have had many years back, lol. I think we would all have respected the other goodies much better, but I'm betting NG will help give a healthy dose of reality for gaming.

Have you ever tried to convince Kevin to include "interior" art of any of the vehicles or robots? The only interiors I can ever recall seeing were ones of the original Rifts Main Book Glitterboy and the Triax and NGR Jager. Even those drawings were limited. I would like to see a vehicle cockpit or interior layout of an APC or something. That is, if you are taking suggestions. ;)
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Premier wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Thanks,
Chuck

LOL Yeah the crotch gun bot was exactly the one I was talking about when I mentioned classic ones. I even had shown it to my wife the other day pointing out that you some how made that one look good, -inspite- of the crotch gun.

:lol: OK, not sure if that's helping my name or not with all the crotch gun associated talk :eek:. Thus I suggest a limit of 3 posts per month on crotch gun talk. Everything else should be treated with CS discretion. Nothing to see here move along, carry on now, move along...

Now I dread when that book hits the hands of people who will quickly point out, oh... he kept the crot... nevermind.. nothing to see here.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Icefalcon wrote:
Premier wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

Thanks,
Chuck

Have you ever tried to convince Kevin to include "interior" art of any of the vehicles or robots? The only interiors I can ever recall seeing were ones of the original Rifts Main Book Glitterboy and the Triax and NGR Jager. Even those drawings were limited. I would like to see a vehicle cockpit or interior layout of an APC or something. That is, if you are taking suggestions. ;)

Have you been peeping in my portfolio?
Icefalcon
Champion

Premier wrote:Have you been peeping in my portfolio?

I wish.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Premier wrote:

Are you meaning to tell me that there is a sleek NG stealth power armor with enhanced sensors and jamming equipment built into the retractable ear modules, armed with vibro sabers, springer jump jets and forearm firepower running around in the North? I know that's not what I was just thinking, was it?

Just look at the cover art :wink:

:-D Yeah I see ya, and J-Z did a fantastic job! I must admit though, I'm actually considering doing a NG Bunny PA based on the above description now that I think about it. Wonder if I could sale it to Northern Gun? hmmm....
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Premier wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:
Premier wrote:

:-D Yeah I see ya, and J-Z did a fantastic job! I must admit though, I'm actually considering doing a NG Bunny PA based on the above description now that I think about it. Wonder if I could sale it to Northern Gun? hmmm....

HAHA that plus the arzno technobunny power armor plus an NG bunny power armor would make for a hilarious basis of a group. Killer bunnies indeed.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Premier wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:
Premier wrote:

Give him a vibro boomerang!!

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Premier wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
Sureshot wrote:Possibly yet the books have not made it to print yet. They do occasionally look through these forums. So who knows. Maybe they might take my suggestion. Probably not. I see no reason not to suggest it. They might surprise me.

+1

Thank You guys for the positive critics, compliments, votes of confidence and suggestions!

Indeed some of us are taking heed. I can't make promises as we are assigned our workloads, but I will see what I can do to get your words passed around among the Artists. I am a huge fan of "Function begets form" philosophy when designing things and I seek reference and understanding for a great deal of design work. This is not to mention that Palladiumbooks actually has a plethora of old to modern to future military books on weapons, vehicles, etc. I think some of you might be surprised at the library. However, we sometimes have to contend with design constraints based on the the actual setting & game balance. I wanted to take numerous designs and revamp them sort of speak, but if only so many years have transpired from one design aesthetic production release to another, and there aren't major changes in the manufacturer via designers, technological breakthroughs, resources & or political stances/restraints, then these elements provide limitations as well.

So in "some" cases, I have to build off of previous designs versus new introductions and see where there is feasible room for creative deviations, interpretation & or innovations that still looks like they can actually function and belong to that manufacturer (in the case of NG). Some of us also base illustrations on what is written, so that also can limit what we can and can't do. I will do my VERY best however to deliver the best I can for NG books 1 & 2. I will also strive to get word to the other Artists as stated so that they are aware of your expectations and suggestions.

Thanks for the support and ideas and keep em flowing! That way we can strive to produce the best quality for you all.

Looking forward to your work Mr Walton!! Very much so.

If you need "In world reasoning" For new stuff. Remember NG has that "under the table" Deal with the CS now to produce their gear, and the tech boost from both them, and the influx of traix stuff in NA is fully acceptable 'Reasoning' for NG to be pouring out 'New models' onto the market to keep competitive with other weapons manufacturers.

Every gun company that's still in existence puts out new models most every year to keep fresh and on the cutting edge.

So give us YOUR VERSION Of NG stuff. I know it'll be awesome!

Unless Triax actually opened factories in north america I don't see them ever being that much of a threat to NG as a competitor. Unless the splugorth just up and vanish no shipping method would ever be efficient enough to out compete a native company the size of NG. Sure they may nibble away at your margines for some of the high tech goodies but not really to any large degree.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

kaid wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Premier wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
Sureshot wrote:Possibly yet the books have not made it to print yet. They do occasionally look through these forums. So who knows. Maybe they might take my suggestion. Probably not. I see no reason not to suggest it. They might surprise me.

+1

Thank You guys for the positive critics, compliments, votes of confidence and suggestions!

Indeed some of us are taking heed. I can't make promises as we are assigned our workloads, but I will see what I can do to get your words passed around among the Artists. I am a huge fan of "Function begets form" philosophy when designing things and I seek reference and understanding for a great deal of design work. This is not to mention that Palladiumbooks actually has a plethora of old to modern to future military books on weapons, vehicles, etc. I think some of you might be surprised at the library. However, we sometimes have to contend with design constraints based on the the actual setting & game balance. I wanted to take numerous designs and revamp them sort of speak, but if only so many years have transpired from one design aesthetic production release to another, and there aren't major changes in the manufacturer via designers, technological breakthroughs, resources & or political stances/restraints, then these elements provide limitations as well.

So in "some" cases, I have to build off of previous designs versus new introductions and see where there is feasible room for creative deviations, interpretation & or innovations that still looks like they can actually function and belong to that manufacturer (in the case of NG). Some of us also base illustrations on what is written, so that also can limit what we can and can't do. I will do my VERY best however to deliver the best I can for NG books 1 & 2. I will also strive to get word to the other Artists as stated so that they are aware of your expectations and suggestions.

Thanks for the support and ideas and keep em flowing! That way we can strive to produce the best quality for you all.

Looking forward to your work Mr Walton!! Very much so.

If you need "In world reasoning" For new stuff. Remember NG has that "under the table" Deal with the CS now to produce their gear, and the tech boost from both them, and the influx of traix stuff in NA is fully acceptable 'Reasoning' for NG to be pouring out 'New models' onto the market to keep competitive with other weapons manufacturers.

Every gun company that's still in existence puts out new models most every year to keep fresh and on the cutting edge.

So give us YOUR VERSION Of NG stuff. I know it'll be awesome!

Unless Triax actually opened factories in north america I don't see them ever being that much of a threat to NG as a competitor. Unless the splugorth just up and vanish no shipping method would ever be efficient enough to out compete a native company the size of NG. Sure they may nibble away at your margines for some of the high tech goodies but not really to any large degree.

except for the part where Triax has submersible super-carriers that can carry an entire field army. (Well, one, so far, but they also have half a dozen smaller, modern-day-aircraft-carrier-size submersible carriers.

They can move a LOT of hardware without being seen, really.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
except for the part where Triax has submersible super-carriers that can carry an entire field army. (Well, one, so far, but they also have half a dozen smaller, modern-day-aircraft-carrier-size submersible carriers.

Well Traix does sell in the US, and my point wasn't always just "For sale" as much as it was as I'd stated, being accessible. FQ worked extensively with them on their glitter boy armies, the CS is working with them and NG is right up there near Canada and the CS. They can reverse engineer with the best of them. Traix stuff has been for sale legitimately (( not just black market like CS stuff)) Since some of the first books.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

Well Traix does sell in the US, and my point wasn't always just "For sale" as much as it was as I'd stated, being accessible. FQ worked extensively with them on their glitter boy armies, the CS is working with them and NG is right up there near Canada and the CS. They can reverse engineer with the best of them. Traix stuff has been for sale legitimately (( not just black market like CS stuff)) Since some of the first books.

Even with that you are talking about a huge super expensive to make super expensive to maintain and crew transport they can move goods but they would never be real competitor for the NG in anything other than high end gear. You are unlikely to ever see Triax toasters and triax lower end consumer goods gain much foot hold in North america. There simply is to much involved in shipping to warrant anything but the bigger ticket items. I can see triax doing well with advanced power armor/robots/higher end weapons but that is about it.

Northern gun is centrally located in the US with access to some of the major shipping methods in the US. With pretty close access to the Mississippi and the great lakes they can easily trade large quantities of materials with the CS/free quebec and pretty much every other nation state in the central part of the US.

For triax they have to run the gauntlet past atlantis and then they wind up on the east coast of the US. I am uncertain how navigable the St Lawarance seaway is but I am assuming with the raise in water levels its at least partially navigable but even with that I doubt you could get one of the super carriers through that way into the great lakes. Without that you would wind up either having to make a trade outpost on the east coast dealing with splugorth/shemmarian/archie or you have to boot leg all the way down towards texas avoiding the bermuda triangle to try to reach the markets from that direction. To be worth that kind of risk I doubt triax would try for much other than the highest in biggest margine products.

It is not to say that triax stuff is not available it clearly is but it won't be the competitor to NG's marketing style of selling pretty much everything from boots to bullets to power armor. Triax has to settle for big ticket items like power armor/ robot vehicles/high end weapons. NG goes for quantity and good enough durability. Triax is aiming for quality and high end high tech appeal.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

kaid wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

Even with that you are talking about a huge super expensive to make super expensive to maintain and crew transport they can move goods but they would never be real competitor for the NG in anything other than high end gear. You are unlikely to ever see Triax toasters and triax lower end consumer goods gain much foot hold in North america. There simply is to much involved in shipping to warrant anything but the bigger ticket items. I can see triax doing well with advanced power armor/robots/higher end weapons but that is about it.

Northern gun is centrally located in the US with access to some of the major shipping methods in the US. With pretty close access to the Mississippi and the great lakes they can easily trade large quantities of materials with the CS/free quebec and pretty much every other nation state in the central part of the US.

For triax they have to run the gauntlet past atlantis and then they wind up on the east coast of the US. I am uncertain how navigable the St Lawarance seaway is but I am assuming with the raise in water levels its at least partially navigable but even with that I doubt you could get one of the super carriers through that way into the great lakes. Without that you would wind up either having to make a trade outpost on the east coast dealing with splugorth/shemmarian/archie or you have to boot leg all the way down towards texas avoiding the bermuda triangle to try to reach the markets from that direction. To be worth that kind of risk I doubt triax would try for much other than the highest in biggest margine products.

It is not to say that triax stuff is not available it clearly is but it won't be the competitor to NG's marketing style of selling pretty much everything from boots to bullets to power armor. Triax has to settle for big ticket items like power armor/ robot vehicles/high end weapons. NG goes for quantity and good enough durability. Triax is aiming for quality and high end high tech appeal.

I'm not saying they're compeating man. lol I'm saying NG can reverse engineer Traix stuff and use it in their OWN stuff. Putting out new things, so Chuck could be able to draw new stuff that's appeared in the last 7 to 10 years of in game time. lol I'm not talking about Traix tosters, but justification for UPDATED and NEW Northern Gun stuff.

Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

kaid wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

Couple of notes: The Free Quebec Navy can traverse the St. Lawrence easily. It is one of the ways they dominated the CS Navy in that short lived war. Triax, already a trading partner of FQs, wouldn't have to go any further than that, and then let their trading partners in FQ move the goods on further.

And of course Triax isn't going to be importing toasters. I thought we were talking about like.. gear that matters.

NG doesn't have to worry about Triax over that market - in fact, NG doesn't have to worry about NG taking over that market.. since it is stated pretty explicitly in one of the books i just read (ill look tomorrow for a "for sure" source, but im pretty sure it was SB1 Revised) that Wilks makes 75% of the basic consumer goods on the entire continent, either by actually making them (they personally produce almost all of the high end electronics systems on the continent) or by creating parts - parts even the CS, NG, MI, and FQ industries use in 80% of their own construction (they have a number of seemingly unrelated subsidiaries that manufacture these electronics and high-end manufactured parts and then sell them on to be assembled by NG and the like).

Wilk's owns the consumer market and is stinking rich because of it... so it isn't Triax that NG has to be worried about... it's Wilks and the very likely scenario that they will never break Wilks' hold on the market since even they (even if it is unknowingly) use Wilks manufactured electronics and engineering components in virtually everything they make!
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.

Return to “Rifts®”