Alternate Dimensions

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Alternate Dimensions

Unread post by taalismn »

Aramanthus wrote:Great one Roscoe! Glad you enjoyed that one Duck-foot!

Continuing the one I started.......

More people continue to lose themselves in the film worlds and the population of earth continues to diminish as the years go by. The governments start panicking because of the decline of their population. They start sending special squads to collect various population from the film worlds. It is then that they discover that each individual copy of the movie creates it own seperate individual universe. And each change creates a different version. Such as foreign languages of the same movie creates another alternative.

Video retailers and rental places would be firebombed or seized by the government, their wares declared Controlled Substances and placed under harsh regulation...Video bootlegging would become a crime tantamount to treason, ramping up to crimes against humanity...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

The multiverse discover earth thru it's films. These various scifi and fantasy films open one way doorways from various other points in the multiverse and allows aliens to come to earth. No one knows the truth.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

In a desperate bid to convince Congress that the Big Three American Automakers ARE on the ball and can be trusted to be innovative, a CEO accidentally blurts out a dark secret of the American Automobile Industry, just before he gets whacked by anonymous assassins; decades ago, the Big 3 came to a detente and set up a Detroit 'Area 51' where innovations(and the innovators) that were deemed too dangerous to the status quo would be locked away bending the decision, at some future time, to either manufacture them, or destroy them...
Among the secrets; a car engine that runs on tainted water, megadamage safety cage designs made from 100% recycled materials, inexpensive car bodies that do NOT deteriorate, self-healing tire materials, rechargeable electric batteries and motors that run on only cents per mile per charge, and the like, as well as the pickled corpses of those foolish enough to challenge Big Auto...
Now both the feds and the public are scrambling to find this 'Detroit Black Vault' before the guardians of the Graveyard of Innovation can destroy the evidence....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

duck-foot wrote::shock: wow taalismn that sounds almost like it could be true

You heard it publicly here first.....

Every single conspiracy theory is true...of course, once you untangle them all, the net result is that nothing changes...the Grey aliens can;t take over the world because they'd inherit the whole mess, Oswald acted alone because listening to the Mafia, the CIA, and the KGB try to explain things to him gave him a headache, and nothing any of the various secret organizations, brotherhoods, and syndicates can do can pull the economy out of the crapper, or change the fact that Jesus just wants a decent wage in a fulfilling job, rather than save the world....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Some interesting new alternate universes! I like them all.

It is proven that every conspiracy theory was created by one man. The man known only as Rowan A. He is the cause of everything including Mr. Bean.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Now if you are talking about Black Adder, then I totally agree.

A small child is reading a series of comics and utilises an unknown power and starts unleashing heros and unknowingly villians from comics on our vary world. Unfortunately for all the comic companies he reads every major producer. So they loose control of their creations when they come to life.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL Never heard of it. I'll check it out. I'll share this one with you all. Talk about an alternate universe.
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff100/fv00001.htm

Modern horror is not created by HP Lovecraft. It is created by the soap operas of the late 60's on. Just imagine that horror! :eek: :shock: :?

HH....FIE
Rathorc Lemenger
Hero
Comment: I am the explorer Extreme. Searcher of all things mysterious and interesting. FEAR ME.

Unread post by Rathorc Lemenger »

I don't know if anyone did these. What if:

The World Wars started 1 year earlier?

The World Wars lasted for 1 later?

Signed,
Rathorc Lemenger.
I've created a monster.-Taalismn.
Believe in the unbelieveable, and you shall become known to the unknown-Rathorc Lemenger
It is well documented that for every minute you excercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you, at 85 years of age, to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5,000 per month-An anonymous family member of Rathorc Lemenger.
taalismn
Priest

Great shades of MOSPEADA:
WW2 is won by the Nazis, who take over the globe, but with the assistance of rogue German rocket scientists(or shadowy organizations), the Allies manage to launch passenger-carrying rockets from their last remaining aircraft carriers, and launch sites in the American West, South America, and Australia...carrying the best, the brightest, and the seeds of a government in exile and a secret colonial expedition...
Forty-Fifty years later, the Nazis have taken over Earth, and are starting to launch into orbit...The Allies have colonized the Moon, Mars, and the Jovian moons, and now launch a series of efforts to retake the Earth from Hitler's Thousand Year Reich....Rocket planes and orbital paratroopers, atomic-powered tanks, and powered armor infantry now attempt to wrest a foothold from the Nazi juggernaut....and if they fail...a series of giant nuclear missiles(or a dinosaur-killer asteroid) is following the Allied fleets to sterilize Europe/the Northern Hemisphere and cauterize the pestilence of Nazism once and for all...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Great ones guys!

The World Wars start off at the correct times. The big difference is that instead of bombs and rockets the combatants hurl jokes and verbal bombs. The casualties are the writters who are executed for poor reactions of the victims. Many hundreds of thousands of writters are killed in both world wars by their own side.

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

What if the invention of the atomic bomb was delayed 20 years, or the leaders didn't have the nerve to use it for 20 years, so WWII lasted 20 years longer...
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Instead of going to war with Iraq in 2003,the U.S go after North Korea whenit is revealed they will be capable of making a Nuclear bomb within 2 years.

How do you think this will chance things?
taalismn
Priest

LostOne wrote:What if the invention of the atomic bomb was delayed 20 years, or the leaders didn't have the nerve to use it for 20 years, so WWII lasted 20 years longer...

Robert Heinlein had a scenario in a short story called "If This Goes On..." where the Allies stop short of producing a full fission chain reaction bomb and instead resort to deploying radiological 'dust bombs' with far longer-lasting radiation/fall-out effects...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

gaby wrote:Instead of going to war with Iraq in 2003,the U.S go after North Korea whenit is revealed they will be capable of making a Nuclear bomb within 2 years.

How do you think this will chance things?

Saddam makes offers of sympathy to NK, and promises to help 'smite the Great Satan'(though nothing comes of it) while Iran steps up its promotion of terrorism abroad and eggs the Chinese to be more proactive in opposing 'American Imperialism'...China uses its economic clout as leverage against the Americans, slowing the progress of the war...meanwhile, northern regions of SK are devastated by pre-sighted NK artillery, leading to festering resentment by SK student activists...
On the positive side, nobody accuses the U.S. of getting involved in the war for reasons of oil...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Actually Gaby, it is believed that they had those bombs before 2003. They were allowed to detonate one of their plutonium bombs in Pakistan in 1998.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/dprk/nuke.htm They could actually have as many as 20 bombs according to the article.

What if Albania had developed the first actual nuclear bomb around 1913.

What if nuclear weapons didn't work like they were supposed too. What is the first one actually took out the entire state of New Mexico.

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

The US drops two nuclear bombs on Japan. The rest of the world freaks out that the US has this kind of power. The lead scientists of the world believe the US does not have enough material to quickly build more bombs and the entire world teams up to conquer the US.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
taalismn
Priest

Every human being, at birth, is granted the power, usable any time, to re-do any action of theirs...ONCE. Once you use that re-do, you lose it. It also has to be an action you can do...NO "I'll marry Susan." or "I'll not have that accident I had when I got drunk"...but more like "I'll PROPOSE to Susan" or "I'll remember to clean the obscuring ice off my windshield the night I had that horrible accident."....Some people wait until they're good and old to use their re-do, knowing it will essentially allow them to re-live life(though memories of their prior existance fade with time, with only the knowledge that they already used their do-over being a constant)....the foolish use theirs early, on trivial things...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Both of those are great ones! LostOne's is scary. And Taalismn's is the one we were in. I know I'd use my redo. Over something really stupid I did 22 years ago.

Continued from LostOne's.

As the world invades the US they discover that their supply lines are strectched too far to maintain for long. The US citizens carry out their own form of resistance behind the lines. The ones who aren't conquored continue the fight. The cost is almost incalcuable in human life. And when the other world powers give up on their failed invasion, the US follows on thier attack by massing the largest nuclear stockpile in the world and seal their borders. By the end of the conflict the US controls all of North America and most of South America. And the strength of the New US is truly formidable.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Maybe he can tell a bedtime story. He is quite the writer!

Clowns are found to be the root of all evil in the universe. We must destroy them before they conquor us.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Interesting a series of these Killgore. Must have been inspired to post that many. Cool. Keep them coming!

The US never falls to the coming of the Rifts. It survives as the only country to survive realtively intact. They do not lose technology levels. They also allow people who embraced magic to become part of the military. The mixed forces help destroy the demons. During the war they discovered that the strange blue lights are taking beings from other worlds and depositing them on our world. And these refuges had no say in their coming here. At first they are met with suspicion, but as the post-rifts America finally relents and allows them become citizens. America remains the strongest country in the post-rifts years. There is no CS. The United States eventually reaches out to the rest of the world and helps the world. But of course this takes several centuries to accomplish.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Desmond Bradford seriously underestimates the control he has over his creations when all-out civil war breaks out between the DogBoys and the Kill-Cats(and other felinoids), while the rest of the animal creations pick sides or scurry for cover...

George Bush Jr. Is revealed as an agent of a global conspiracy meant to keep human progress restricted....BY effectively crippling the United States and tainting its reputation, the idea of 'progressive superpowers' is discredited, and a status quo of squabbling less-powerful nation states is maintained...The focus now turns to the economic giant of China...Though revelations of the conspiracy meet with Chinese derision, who see in it an anti-Chinese propaganda move, and American 'sour grapes' attitude at work...

Moments after stepping on to the Moon, Neil Armstrong is machine-gunned by panicked Nazi astronauts from the secret Nazi moon colony nearby...The last camera footage from Eagle shows a swastika-emblazoned moon rover advancing on the LEM...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

America did not turn its back on manned spaceflight or the Moon after the Apollo program, instead going full-bore to explore and colonize the Moon. With the less sophisticated technology of the time, there are fatalities, but the 'New Frontier' takes on a momentum of its own, and advances come quicker as spin-offs of the space program...Russia tries even harder to compete, and despite some promising attempts(and some hair-raising incidents involving the militarization of space), collapses under the economic burden and the blow to its national morale even sooner...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

duck-foot wrote:i like those

what if the warlords of russia duked it out in a final battle and kaladenko won (idk i just choose him) and he sets off to free demon ridden china

Hmmm...I cam see that...cyborg expeditionary teams traveling through Mongolia and penetrating the Veil surrounding China...

We really don't know much about the Siberia region of Russia...so anything could be there, from critters in the deep waters of the lakes there to alien lifeforms brought by the Tunguska Object and just now coming out of dormancy after the Rifts...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

vampire_hunter_D wrote:
taalismn wrote:America did not turn its back on manned spaceflight or the Moon after the Apollo program, instead going full-bore to explore and colonize the Moon. With the less sophisticated technology of the time, there are fatalities, but the 'New Frontier' takes on a momentum of its own, and advances come quicker as spin-offs of the space program...Russia tries even harder to compete, and despite some promising attempts(and some hair-raising incidents involving the militarization of space), collapses under the economic burden and the blow to its national morale even sooner...

*sigh* if only it were real......

Find a copy of "The Lunar Exploration Scrapbook" by Robert Godwin (Borders Books carries copies) and sigh at what might have been...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

2 ideas.

1)A AU of the Final countdown the Uss nimitz gets téléport to 1931 instead 1941.

How do you think this will changed things?

2)Every Human iinbetween the Wester Border of Pakistan to the East Coust of china gets de-agesed to 3 years old with none of ther future memories.
taalismn
Priest

How about the USS Nimitz in 1776...
"Welcome aboard, Ambassador Franklin!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Truly fiendish and quite plausible...
You've earned a Dark Star of Evil, Killgore...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Rather than go loggerheads with each other, both the Coalition and Tolkeen ally with each other as the two poles of a unified resistance and reconstruction effort to bring civilization back to North America....Chi-Town, the Industrial Techno-Center, and Tolkeen, the Magic center, form the Centralist Alliance, and become a beacon of coperation and adaptation in a hostile world...

(The Rather Evil Version)...The Vanguard takes over Tolkeen early, and convinces the CS high command to accept them...now the magic-and-technology wielding human-supremacist Centrallist Alliance threatens all of North America...

2012 AD---Former Conservative blowhard and psuedo-pundit Anne Coulter becomes President, after President-Elect Sarah Palin dies in a hunting accident...Blaming gun control liberals for the accident, President Coulter authorizes the FBI to shoot registered political liberals suspected of crimes(which is interpreted to mean 'breathing')....The international community immediately severs all ties with the United States, New England and California threaten to secede from the union, and Cuba and Mexico offer political sanctuary to fleeing gringos....THe mullahs of Iran declare 'The Great Satan is upon us!', and for once they're right....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Magic is part of the world scene since 1900.....The Chicago gangland wars are found in part with magic, and there's a booming trade in bootleg faerie liquor, presided over by Al Capone...In order to fight the escalating violence, Chicago calls in the arch-mage Eliot Ness and his crew of well-warded Untouchables....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

duck-foot wrote:wow. taalismn i think the whole tolkeen and cs lovely, touchy feelie thing is out there even for an alternate dimension

I'm HOPING it's rather more possible and probable than a serious Palin candidacy in 2012!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

The Left can be as Abusing as the Right.
taalismn
Priest

gaby wrote:The Left can be as Abusing as the Right.

Of course, but when people are either dumb or rabid, it doesn't matter if they're Left or Right...THey're just WRONG(for responsible government positions)....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

the entire populations of the Canada of the year 1950 get duplicated then the duplicates get téléported in time to dec 30 2008,how will this changed things?

Every one over the age of 60s in the U.S de-aged to ther 20s but keep ther current day Memories,what will be the Effects?
taalismn
Priest

Reverse extreme Mormonism in that setting? two or more women effectively OWN a guy, who has to wait hand and foot on them?
The American West was less gunfights and more negotiation between the female outlaws and female lawpersons(with their gun-totin' male deputies for fire support)....Except for 'Bianca the Gal' who went on an extended PMS jag of train-robbin' and killin' people(the early 'Thelma and Louise' of the time)

And when Chieftainess Sitting Mare outmaneuvered 'Ol Yellow-Hair' Custer and sent her packing, minus her gold locks, which had been shorn for a trophy....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Great ones guys! I think they are all great!

Role playing nevers developes. Even war gaming never manifests itself. The closest gaming comes to being created is the recreated remote control ships battles that are carried out with BB gun equipped ships. It is a sadder world in this particular universe.

I'm happy we have gaming. :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Or the inverse...instead of scrapping old warships or using them for target practice, they're bought up by NASCAR-style global organizations and fitted for remote control and used up in hellishly expensive live-fire naval war games televized on pay-per-view for the war fans....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Mao Tse'tung dies early when his bearers accidentally dump his sedan chair into a river...the Chinese Communist movement gets crippled between a lack of dynamic leadership and casualties fighting the Japanese long enough for the Nationalists to seize the upper hand...The Russian Communist Party loses faith with their Chinese proxies, and the hardline Nationalists cut the nascent PRC army to shreds...despite some regional fracturing, China remains in the hands of the Nationalists, leading to a patchwork of emerging democratic and old-style authoritarian regimes...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

The entire jewish population of the world over the age of 20 de-aged to 20.
taalismn
Priest

As the Western Frontier closes around them, the Mormons develop manned spaceflight to flee what they see as religious persecution...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Some great alternate universes! I especially like the one Taalismn did with the remote warships! That one I'd pay to see!

It is discovered that after people die they go to a dimension just slightly beyond ours. We can't physically go there, but everyone who has every lived ends up there. It's a staging area for the next jump. Once all of humanity arrives there they'll make the jump to the next level of existance. In this way you'll get to meet the most famous and infamous people hwho ever lived.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aliens land in California and convert to scientology....Scientists conclude; "Yeah, this proves there's life out there, but it's questionable as to whether it's intelligent or not..."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Benjamin Button's World---People age in reverse..
Benjamin Button's World Revised----Once people reach a certain age, barring premature death due to accident, disease, or violence, and the trigger age varies between people, they start back, aging in reverse, eventually attaining a senile-like state of vanishing memories and increasing helplessness, before passing away as apparent stillborns....This means that many people lay in planes to take care of themselves when they're older, and the REALLY far-thinking(or confident) lay in plans for their care when they age back into total helplessness...Many folks use their 'second wind' to live as they didn't when they were on the 'upswing'...However, there are illnesses that trigger premature reversal....and there are rumors of people who complete the cycle...then start aging again, at the beginning of a new cycle....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

duck-foot wrote:interesting concepte taalismn

Read both the short story and the graphic noval adaptation...rather sad either way... :-(
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Those were some great ones.

The Roswell incident did occur in 1947. And little greys were killed or captured in the crashes. And these crashes have occured over the years because of event going on at the edge of our galaxy. It turns out there is a massive enemy fleet coming in from another galaxy with the intentso f wiping out intelligent life in our galaxy. The leaders know and are terrified to tell the public. According to the aliens we have maybe a little over one hundred years before the reach us with their main force. Their scouts will arrive here in less than ten. Will be up to our eyeballs in enemies in a few years. Watch the skies!!!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

In the last war, the TGE gained the upper hand and has now split and divided the CCW, courtesy of either a superweapon or several that has taken the CCW and its allies by surprise...Nobody knows how they're doing it, but the Kreeghor are destroying systems left and right, and CCW intelligence, try as they might, have no idea how they're doing it! It's as if the target system have simply ceased to exist altogether! Now the CCW is broken, the FWC is no more, the Kreeghor are unexpectedly knocking on the UWW's doorstep, the Altess are getting worried, the Golgans are finding themselves flooded with refugees, the CosmoKnights don't seem to be responding to calls for help, and a massive TGE fleet has been sighted headed for Phaseworld! Could the Kreeghor have found the Cosmic Forge and bent it to their purpose?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

duck-foot wrote:what if everyone talked in ryhmes. or sang or clicked. but language has we no it doesnt exist

I'd be considered mute...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Interesting one Taalismn! Sort of scary world Duck-foot.

The TV actually has intelligent programming. Everything that is shown is worth watching. Everything has redeeming feature. Kids actually learn in the comfort of their homes when not at school.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

The Redundancy Hound has eaten this space....now it it is resting..
It is now safe to rub the Redundancy Hound's belly...
Last edited by taalismn on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Everything you see and experience is a massive hallucination, the result of a sensory deprivation experiment you have been participating in, involuntarily, since you were ten....That's right; your parents sold you to science...worse, the researchers have sort of forgotten about you...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is probably one of the saddest ones Taalismn! But a good one none the less.

Wide spread use of giant robots occurs early in the 21st century. Science manages to overcome every problem sith giant robots, including balance. Weapons systems are developed as the robots are reaching various uses. Of course the militaries get the first ones. They advance and within 50 years they surpass even the mobile suits from old earth animes.

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”