Alternate Dimensions

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aramanthus
Monk

Re: Alternate Dimensions

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Cool idea! I like it!

The world as we know it seemingly continues as normal until a minor alignment of the planets. This event sparks a major release of dimensional energy. The energy tears the fabric of space open between our earth and another planet in a distant dimension. Which it turns out is inhabited by humans. Although they human are far more advanced and fighting a war. Because of the war going on over there the humans from earth sudden;y find themselves joining the war against the inhuman beast their fellow humans are fighting. This connection allows the new tech to be duplicated by our planet. We as a planet begin to gear up for a cross dimensional war.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The atomic bomb is dropped on Hiroshima...and doesn't go off...
Days later, another weapon is dropped is dropped...It too appears to be a dud...
Yet bombs exploded in the desert test ranges work just fine.
Just weapons deployed on the battlefield.
Is it sabotage, or something else?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

taalismn wrote:Preston Tucker exposes the allegations against him as a heavyhanded attempt by the established American automotive industry to crush him and his Tucker Torpedo...the resulting scandal pushes orders of the triple-headlighted car to become a new American favorite, and catapults Tucker Automotive into the limelight...continued good sales, and a defection of talent from Ford and other manufacturers keeps Tucker Automotive in the forefront of innovation...
However, by 2009, TA is one of the companies, having grown stagnant, that is asking fro money from Congress...The 'Tucker Miracle', however, continues to inspire smaller firms to challenge the big companies...For instance, in Puerto Rico, a small start-up firm proposes to build a cheap, multi-purpose transport plane that can compete with such designs as the C-130...when it is sandbagged under suspicious circumstances, their lawyers invoke the 'Tucker Corporate Transparency Law' that reveals the investigation to be politically motivated, at the behest of mainland American industry....with the dogs called off, the company begins manufacturing its aircraft using semi-skilled labor on Puerto Rico, laying the groundwork of a high-tech economic boom on the island...

I should note that the aircraft in this example was the Ahrens AR-404---In reality, this four-engined aircraft(looking like the illegit offspring of a C-130 Hercules and a Short Skyvan) got kiboshed just as the program was gathering steam...just like Preston Tucker's dream...only two flyable examples of the aircraft were built...one flying back to Nevada where it was scrapped, and the other left to rust away, sans engines, on a stand in the jungle(possibly as an ad sign for a snack bar?)...Like the Canadian Avro Arrow and the Tucker Torpedo, one wonders what might have come of these projects if they hadn't been killed prematurely...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Western Europe (West Coast of Ireland to the Eastern German border)and North Africa (West Coast of Morocco to the middle of Libya) have been turn in one on Night into some out of Palladium Fantasy.

All Technology going into the area,das not wokr ever guns,but Magic can wokr outside the area.

How would you think the world would react?
taalismn
Priest

After the Mexican-American War, Texas sez: "Thanks for the assist, United States, but we'll be going our own way now."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Aum Supreme Truth's terrorist attacks in Tokyo are far more successful and extensive than actually transpired, with an attack on the Diet wiping out much of the leadership....This terrorist attack is initially blamed on foreign agents, much as the cultists originally planned, but as the scale of the disaster, and the true perpetrators, becomes apparent, it sends shockwaves through Japanese society....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Excellent new alternate dimensions!

In a recent medical journal it is revealed that there is a general cure for cancer, but most people find it too gross to eat in any form. The cure is black licorice. Now I'll be fine, since I love it, but what about you.....

The earth ends up spiraling down into a recession that will never end. It consumes humanity and causes the downfall of the entirity of modern society. The world launches multiple short but extremely voilent wars to try and spark the various economies. All these do it to destroy the infrastructure. Which leads to more economic woes. Finally a new dark ages begins. Our societies is left in ashes and it remains this way for many centuries. Finally almost a thousand years later it begins the arduous climb out of the dark ages into a new time of wonder. Where wonders will surpass any previously.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

A cure for (all)cancer is discovered...there's just one catch...there's a one in three chance that recipeients will lose most of their memories, save for their basic skills...Would years of continued healthy life, beginning anew as it were, be worth losing what you already have, perhaps your very self, or is it better to die with full possession of your faculties adn the sum of your experiences? That's the moral dilemma facing thousands of cancer patients...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

duck-foot wrote:
taalismn wrote:A cure for (all)cancer is discovered...there's just one catch...there's a one in three chance that recipeients will lose most of their memories, save for their basic skills...Would years of continued healthy life, beginning anew as it were, be worth losing what you already have, perhaps your very self, or is it better to die with full possession of your faculties adn the sum of your experiences? That's the moral dilemma facing thousands of cancer patients...

only you taalsimn could put a phylisophical question in an alternate universe

Thank you...See, you don't need to take all those philosophy courses in college to come up with the sort of questions that make others wonder "what the HELL is wrong with you, man?!" :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Interesting addition Duck-foot! Hopefully we get more. Nice one Taalismn.

In the distant future it is found that we went up a societal dead end. The world need to self destruct in order to allow us to advance again. So the world carries out the most violent non-WMD war ever. Civilazation crashes and burns. Mankind ends up back in stone age levels for about one thousand years. Then slowly climbed out of dark ages.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

A world where the President's Address to the Country highlights the 'Three Most Pressing Matters of Our Time'....The Exploration of Space, Proper Enjoyment of Leisuretime, and the Addition of All Those New States to the Union and the Debate to Revize Our National Flag...'
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Interesting addition Duck-foot! That was funny Taalismn!

During a surprise turn about in the 2012 election Richard Dean Anderson is written in as a canidate for President of the US. He sweeps the election in a landslide the United States has never seen before. The election takes place before the big change that occurs on 12/21/2012 the date the Mayan calendar ends. The world really does significantly change as the rifts show up early and over night the world we knew was gone. But the US survives to see RDA take the presidency and the US leads the world out of the potentially disasterous time of the Rifts!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Jimmy Carter gets killed by the rabbit that attacked him in 1979....becoming the only President to be killed by a feral animal...
Discuss the domestic and international ramifications of this...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Don't knock the redemptive powers of duct tape.... :)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Ouch...and what if the whole thing's simply a cover-up for forced globalization?(there are no aliens)
Or worse yet, it's a global coup, but the superweapons are fake...and aliens REALLY do appear?
Could be the genuine article: invaders...or peaceful types who try to make contact, get blown away by trigger-happy Earthlings, and THEN decide to get medieval on us(can't fly away, Earth is last option for their survival, they have an honor system that demands payback for injury, etc...)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

in july 4,1863 ten U.S Western,s territories,get replace by Fantasy Realm,where Magic is real.

What do you will be the Reaction of the Union and the Confederacy?
taalismn
Priest

gaby wrote:in july 4,1863 ten U.S Western,s territories,get replace by Fantasy Realm,where Magic is real.

What do you will be the Reaction of the Union and the Confederacy?

"Are they pro-slavery or not?"
"Are they God's creatures or not?"
"Well, are they Injuns or not?"
"Is the gold still there?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

INteresting alternate universes gentlemen!

In a funny sort of strangness Doctor WHo becomes the most watched TV show on Earth. And shortly after this it is revealed that this is acutally has been a reality TV show following a bloke who really is a Time lord and his companions. (who are from earth mostly) The only reason it got pulled from TV originally was that the Doctor was involved in the time war. And it's now back on because he's back. All of the organizations on Earth such as UNIT actually exist. And all of the plots which could have ended with Earth either being destroyed or captured were true. The Dalaks, the Cybermen and all of the Doctor's enemies are real and they exist out their in the Universe! Our world is a lot smaller then we realized. And of course far more vulnerable to dangers.

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

In 1600 England,wales,Scotland and Ireland is Exchange with the Inlands that would have been New Found Land and Nova Scotia,What do you think the effect will be?

How big a Different do you think this will make?
Aramanthus
Monk

I think that might give the people a little larger area to control. The reources would be different. It might stunt the overall growth of their society, especially if certain resources are not present, such as iron, copper and the like.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

gaby wrote:In 1600 England,wales,Scotland and Ireland is Exchange with the Inlands that would have been New Found Land and Nova Scotia,What do you think the effect will be?

How big a Different do you think this will make?

The Irish take over Massachussets and New England even quicker...The French colonists in Canada realize that while having upset Irish as neighbors of the Brits is all very fine and dandy, having them as YOUR neighbors is a different thing entirely...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Comedy creates near immortality for the people watching it. Laughter has been called the best medicine. It's proven by various studies. It can cure everything.

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

1920 25 meteors fall around the world,10 in North America(6 in the U.S,3 in Canada,1 in Mexico) 7 in Europe (2 in U.k,1 Spain,1 in France,1 in Italy,1 in Norway,1 in Germany)3 in Africa (1 in south africa,1 in Madagascar and 1 South West Africa)
5 in Asia (1 in Russa,2 in India,1 in China,1 in Japan)

A Few Days After the Impact people still alive within 10 miles of the Impact,Manifested super-powers,the Superpowers are different from impact to impact.

the People who have the Powers,can not have Children with people who were not within the 10 miles of the Impact.

How will you think the world will reacte to this?
taalismn
Priest

World War 1....Having discovered the dangerous effects of radiation from medical notes on the Curies, the French unleash a radiological weapon(radium dust) on the German trenches, effectively rendering the region deadly to any long term occupany...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Hmmm. I'm not sure Gaby! I think there might be severe fragmenting of society. Maybe a society where those who have powers get privledges and the rest who don't will become slaves. Or maybe the whole world will go nuts and self destruct! Or yet maybe everyone who has powers will leave the earth behind. I'm sure there are others.

That was an interesting and messy one Taalismn! Pretty scarry too. Because then the use of radiological weapons becomes useable during later wars.

Great addition Duck-foot! Please keep it coming! I like how you've got it set up like a journal! Please keep it coming!

I large asteroid approaches earth. It is on a collision course with us. The experts try everything they have at their disposal to either divert it or destroy it. These efforts fail completely. People panic at first. As the days count down the panic generally dies down as most of the people accept their fate. Some people commit suicide as their time runs out. A large number of people listen to the final messages from their various leaders. The people on the continent which is to be hit by this dinosaur killer sized asteroid decide to go out and watch the end. As the asteroid penetrates the atmosphere it changes into something totally unexpected, a titanic planetary rift. Pulling the planet into another dimension. A dimension where the rules are slightly expanded allowing science and magic to exist at the same time. A peaceful version of Rift's earth has begun.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Hmmm. I'm not sure Gaby! I think there might be severe fragmenting of society. Maybe a society where those who have powers get privledges and the rest who don't will become slaves. Or maybe the whole world will go nuts and self destruct! Or yet maybe everyone who has powers will leave the earth behind. I'm sure there are others.

That was an interesting and messy one Taalismn! Pretty scarry too. Because then the use of radiological weapons becomes useable during later wars. .

Well, the thought of Hitler dying of radiation-induced cancer changes things for one...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I know. Still it's a scary one.

A deer hunter is recovering a successful kill in the fields of Iowa. He happens to bag the largest deer he's ever seen. It turns out to be an irish elk. The largest member of the deer family ever. Although according to the experts they went extinct around 5 to 10,000 years ago. The arthorities fine the hunter initially. But as other extinct creatures start to show up across the world. Thing s are changing. And no one is sure why!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

The Las Vegas Police just shot Jesus Christ...the REAL one....oboy, there's some serious rumblings going on....

Worse yet, he was last seen in the company of Elvis...and nobody recalls having seen that impersonator before...

Just to be fair, though, some guy appeared in a Middle Eastern region out of a ring of light, angrily claiming that he wanted to have a few words with the guys who'd completely screwed up his message...unfortunately, at the rally he formed to speak publicly of what he meant by that, he gets wiped by a car bomb driven in by extremists...
Yeah...there's some more rumblings going on there...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

The peoples of the Western Hemisphere prove far more resistant, if not outright immune, to the smallpox, typhus, and cholera brought to the New World by the Europeans...The Indians of Meso and South America do NOT suffer the massive die-offs they did in the aftermath of contact with the Spanish, allowing them to retain cultural cohesion and greater numbers....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

1938--Adolf Hitler, while inspecting his yacht, accidentally falls in the Rhine and drowns before his bodyguards can get to him... Nobody pushes him, just his own damn carelessness(and perhaps a little too much schnapps)...
Now who's in charge?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Who ever it,is may force the Jews just out of Germany and the countries they control.

They will see the Biger Danger from the U.S.S.R and wokr with the England and France Against them.

ther will be no alliance with Japan.

That how I see it,What do you think?
taalismn
Priest

The Soviet invasion of Finland proves successful, and Finland becomes a conquered territory of the Soviet Union...
With a Soviet satellite on their north flank, the Germans now feel even more threatened, and work to promote a pro-Nazi, Anti-Soviet resistance movement in occupied Finland, and have to figure in a second, northern front to the initial Operation Barbarossa planning, leaving less attention to the subjugation of western Europe, buying France and England vital time to re-arm.
Alternately, Chamberlin figures the Slavs and the Germans will find it out among each other, insuring peace for the West, and actually promotes support for the Germans, when France and England SHOULD be re-arming as fast as possible, and fortifying Norway...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Some great ones guys! I think it would be cool if you (Taalismn) and Duckfoot continue both of your topics. I'd like to see more about those two.

It is discovered by a study that gamers who play paper and pen RPGS are almost 200% more fertile than any other human being on the planet. Sudden;y it becomes very much the thing for women who want to have children to find and marry gamers. It also turns out in yet another study that these marriages from the gamer study are longer lasting and potentially changes the stats on marriage by more people staying married. Oh yes those women marrying the gamers were former porn stars!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Yeah, but what if it turns out RPG-players are 200% more susceptible to hostile alien possessio--forget what I just said. Be calm. Continue doing what you have been doing. Everything's fine here...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I agree with Taalismn! He is correct in his appreciation of the situation! There is nothing wrong with this situation. Please be at peace! ;)

There occurs an alignment of galactic porportions. Thing of course happen on earth. Like the sudden end of all reality TV shows. Fast food restaurants suddenly become abandoned. And SciFi becomes the most watched TV shows. And America looses enough weight to straighten the planets overall alignment.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Gravitic gradiants on Earth change, causing all the skinny people to fly off to impact against distant objects or into space altogether...Earth loves fat people, holding them close(regular gravity applies)...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL That was a good one!

The speed of sound can not be broken after accidently broken. This is caused by changed in the compostion of the atmosphere after aircraft start disrupting the normal patterns of air movement. Rocketry is able to force it's way out of the atmosphere due to sheer brute power. But until mankind understands the way the atmosphere actually functions, no one can break the speed of sound. It is over one hundred years after we did it.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Planetary atmospheres are really akin to bubbles in a thick syrupy medium...open space is actually a thick, liquid medium that refracts light...spacecraft would have to be more like submarines, and can only move effectively slower than sound...or be supercavitating to move at any sort of speed...in order to move faster, some alternate propulsion or travel form(like teleportation) must be found if Mankind is to reach the stars at anything other than a snail's pace...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Columbus's expeditionary fleet sails into an Atlantic hurricane....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

duck-foot wrote:
taalismn wrote:Columbus's expeditionary fleet sails into an Atlantic hurricane....

i dont see how that would change history much. the new world would still have been found

Yeah, but by WHO? The Spanish? The Brits? The Porteguese? And after the debacle of three ships sailing into the West never to be seen again,,,how long before somebody launched a major(and expensive) effort again? Those years might make a difference...
Admittedly, we don't have any records of the 'also rans'...other peole who had the same idea, went off, and vanished in the Atlantic...

It's like what if during the formative years of the Nazi Party and the gathering of those who'd become Hitler's inner circle, Hitler had accidentally done a Cheney during a hunting trip and killed one of his power-brokers....If Goering's head had been blown off, Hitler might have had a less egomaniacal officer step up to become head of the Luftwaffe...however, in the early days of the re-armament of Germany, it may well have taken an egomaniac like Goering to get things accomplished...
What if Goebbels had intercepted a shotgun blast and dropped dead like a skeeted quail at Hitler's hunting lodge? The effect might be more dramatic...without his spin-doctor telling the Big Lies, would Hitler have been less effective in rallying popular support? Could he have found an equally smoothtalking, slimey-souled publicist to fill Goebbels' place? Might somebody like Speer have had to take a more active role in public relations?
World War 2 would very well still be on, but Adolf might have had a harder time getting all the pieces into place, and might have had a harder time of holding things together...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Nicoli Tesla's experiments in transmitted power pay off, and his company begins emplacing transmission towers all over the country, while electric cars with receiving gear are adopted(no batteries---sucks power straight from the charged ionosphere)....problem is, radio requires higher frequencies and modulation to cut through all the static, and years later it's discovered that the added EM radiation poses a health hazard, when it becomes evident that something is sapping American vitality and health...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are some great ones! I'm still around just busy because of RL. Very interesting additions! Please keep them coming!

The earth and it's many countries continue down the economic and societal down turn. It continues this until a person rises from obscurity to help turn everything around with their brillance. They lead the world back in every catagory in which it's lacking. The turn around is later revealed to be thru magic. And not black magic.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

The current woes in the economy are traced to a cabal of bankers who made a REAL pact with the Devil for power, wealth, and fame...turns out they didn't read the microscopic print written in paper-toned ink backwards in the grain of the paper, in an obscure calligraphic dialect of a long-dead branch of Urdu...because that contract has now come up...wealth is fleeting, power corrupts, and they now have lasting fame...or infamy....for their greed...
Of course, their hubris also destroys a whole heckuva lot of other people as well...a plus for the infernals...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I believe that would make for a truly terrible world. Let's hope ours isn't really that world.

It turns out that the oil crisis will be solved in a decade. The US Government has had a secret dimensional travel project for almost 3 decades. On one of the trips the teams of special forces locate a veritable ocean of oil in one dimension. The US starts piping it back to the US and prices drop dramatically. There is no mention in the news as to where the cheap oil is coming from. It later turns out that the oil from this alternate dimension is actually the life blood of that dimension.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

A form of serial immortality is found that allows the transferral of a dying human body into a new body..however, the new body is that of a domestic animal, like a dog, cat, horse, cow, parrot, etc...Though the animal has its normal lifespan, the human consciousness can be continually transferred to a new animal host body once the current animal host reaches expiration age...apparently indefinitely...the technique CANNOT be used to transfer to a new human body(since current state of the art doesn't allow for fully body cloning, brain-damaged bodies cannot hold the complete working consciousness, and the presence of an existing consciousness prevents the infusion of a new one...
Naturally, the Hindus either HATE or LOVE this, since they already have the cycles of reincarnation as part of their belief system, but it plays havoc with modern inheritance laws...leading to a number of 'beastly millionaires' who refuse to cede their fortunes upon transferal...resulting in a number of estates being run for their owners in animal bodies...'Petnapping' takes on a new seriousness as a felony crime...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Interesting one Taalismn! Hopefully someday you think technology would allow for the creation of a body for those souls.

The opposite is actually in our world. Actually it is the animal souls which are inhabiting the human bodies. And this has happened from the beginning. Maybe that explains the levels of human aggression. Serial Immortality the other way round.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

MImes are really an elder order of silent assassins, part of an elaborate 'End of Days' cult far surpassing any Dan Brown potboiler, hidding in plain sight...THey await the prophecized Great Deafness when they will rise up and strike down the vulgar Noisey and assert the Quiet in its place...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

The Tunguska Event takes place some four hours later...with the object instead exploding over more heavily populated Europe...
Remember; this was at the cusp of WW1...if Saint Petersburg had been obliterated, or a portion of central Europe struck...how might events have turned out differently?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I think Russia will not be in World war 1 that fo shur.
taalismn
Priest

gaby wrote:I think Russia will not be in World war 1 that fo shur.

And the Romanov dynasty ends on a BANG...(well, it did anyway, but that was in basement...getting whacked in the open by a meteor/comet fragment/malfunctioning alien spacecraft is a helluva lot different in irony and historical footnotes...)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”