Alternate Dimensions

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aramanthus
Monk

Re: Alternate Dimensions

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Some excellent ones. Nice to see you Roscoe! It's been awhile since we haven't heard from you in awhile. Hopefully those beings about to kick us off our home world will provide transportation.

After being kicked off of earth the human race wanders around on their borrowed ships for a few centuries. After a period of time they find several new planets to relocate too.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

Aramanthus wrote:Some excellent ones. Nice to see you Roscoe! It's been awhile since we haven't heard from you in awhile. Hopefully those beings about to kick us off our home world will provide transportation.

Glad to BE back! Long story short, was the best man at my brothers wedding, house-sat for them during honeymoon, and came back to help my grandmother after somebody tried to car-jack her. She's fine now, but banged up her hip pretty good and couldn't really get around all that well for a while, so I was staying with her and helping out around the house and driving her around when I wasn't working my paying job. Between that, and the fact she had no internet, I was soundly defeated with exhaustion, along with my muse who collapsed into a funk.

Now that I'm back at home, and she's out of the cast and off her meds, hopefully things will turn out alright.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The Americans LOSE the Battle of Midway...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Glad to hear your Grandmother is better! :ok:

That is a scary one Taalismn!!

The golden age of humanity never occurs due to the depression of the early 2000's. This depression has ramifications which prevents all of the creativity that spawns the Golden Age. Humanity continues stumbling on with it's history.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Julius Ceasar dies, killed by Gaulish cavalry, during the Uprising in Gaul, while attempting to rendevouz with his northern legions, cut off at their winter quarters while he had been back near Rome, listening to the political currents there...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

duck-foot wrote:
taalismn wrote:Julius Ceasar dies, killed by Gaulish cavalry, during the Uprising in Gaul, while attempting to rendevouz with his northern legions, cut off at their winter quarters while he had been back near Rome, listening to the political currents there...

you could make a book out of that staement and counterfact of history... do go on with this one taalismn.

Probbaly not much...Julius was playing musical chairs with Crassus and Pompey, all of whom were arguing with an increasingly corrupt and argunmentative Senate...The Roman Republic was faltering, and people like Crassus and Pompey(and Caesar) were maneuvering to be in charge either to 'save' the Roman nation, or, more honestly, to set themselves up as top autocrat...
If Caesar bought it in Gaul to a Gaullish arrow or ax, Crassus and Pompey would have breathed a sigh of relief that the 40-year-old upstart was no longer going to give them trouble...They'd have assigned some other young up-and-comer or political hack they wanted to reward the Proconsulship of Gaul, and gone back to sharpening their knives for each other and any new threats that might have cropped up...Eventually, they'd have found some excuse to seize power, before the whole business crumpled under them, and instead of a 'Caesar', we'd be talking in terms of a 'Crassus' or a 'Pompey' as the name of the chief autocrat of Rome...Thee'd be a civil war, of course, and it's entirely possible that Egypt, under Cleopatra, would make a bid for independence...Could either Crassus or Pompey have held Rome together, on the strength of their military careers? Possible, but Caesar's successes in subjugating Gaul and Britain mae him IMMENSELY popular with his troops...It was that popularity that made the politicos back in Rome so scared of him...and while Crassus and Pompey would be able to muster up the troops for two Roman civil wars, and possibly swing public opinion enough, in the absence of a live Caesar, to put them on a throne, could they have held the new Empire with that support?
Marc Antony, who COULD have succeeded Caesar as Proconsul of Gaul, or at least made a good go at it as career military officer in Gaul, COULD resurface, if the Gaulish Legions became a decisive wildcard in the politics of Rome(provided they weren't fighting for their lives against an embolded Gaulish resurgence....without Julius leading them, they might have had a tougher time of it beating down the rebellion...
So we might still have had the Empire, but it would be off to a more fizzling start, with a lot more troubles to deal with, than it would have had Caesar made it through to his Legions...A still-hot western frontier, the Legions possibly begining to get a bit upset with the politicians in Rome, and two lukewarm candidates vying for power with their own personal armies...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

A couple opf excellent ones! I always love the Roman alternate histories. Since my history minor was based mostly Roman history.

The Romans were harassed by the Parthians for many years in the eastern areas of the empire. After one particularly brutal raid the Romans decide enough is enough and successfully invade the Parthians Empire. It conquest leads to further major conquest by the Roman Empire which expands it's over all Empire to conquer all of europe and Asia.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:A couple opf excellent ones! I always love the Roman alternate histories. Since my history minor was based mostly Roman history.

The Romans were harassed by the Parthians for many years in the eastern areas of the empire. After one particularly brutal raid the Romans decide enough is enough and successfully invade the Parthians Empire. It conquest leads to further major conquest by the Roman Empire which expands it's over all Empire to conquer all of europe and Asia.

Which beggers the question; could they have successfully invaded Japan? :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unlike the Mongols. The Romans knew how to build ships, instead of relying on others to build them river craft for their great invasion. The Roman's continue their march of conquest. First they most to conquer Africa. Although that quest will take several generations to accomplish. After that they then marshall their forces to finally move against the Japanese Islands. After assembling the largest fleet seen by the ancient world they invade Japan. It is a vicious fight, but with the number of legions involved it was inevitable. Japan falls to the world power of Rome!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Unlike the Mongols. The Romans knew how to build ships, instead of relying on others to build them river craft for their great invasion. The Roman's continue their march of conquest. First they most to conquer Africa. Although that quest will take several generations to accomplish. After that they then marshall their forces to finally move against the Japanese Islands. After assembling the largest fleet seen by the ancient world they invade Japan. It is a vicious fight, but with the number of legions involved it was inevitable. Japan falls to the world power of Rome!

AW Hell...give 'em a land bridge across the Bering Straits, so we can have the Romans invading Alaska....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

vampire_hunter_D wrote:How about if Rome went the other Direction, as in if somehow a Roman ship crossed the Atlantic? How do you think the ROmans would have dealt with the fledgling Mayan City States? or the other 'barbarian' tribes they found?

Try finding copies of Kirk Mitchell's Germanicus Triology(Procurator, New Barbarians, Cry Republic!)...it deals with an alternate history where Rome never fell....the second book deals with the tragic war between the Romans and the Aztec empire...(the Romans win, but at great cost to their commander)...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Perhaps a second Great Wall across the western approaches to keep the Romans at bay? :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Technically there was communications of some sort between Rome and China thru trade.

Germany wins the battle of Stalingrad and Kursk. Instead of getting bogged down in street fighting Paulus pulls his troops back before the Russians close their trap. And then he counter attacks with devastating results. Also the germans know about their leak inside the government and have been setting this person up for a major problem. When the battle of Kursk occurs the Germans aren't distracted by Stalingrad.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Technically there was communications of some sort between Rome and China thru trade.

Germany wins the battle of Stalingrad and Kursk. Instead of getting bogged down in street fighting Paulus pulls his troops back before the Russians close their trap. And then he counter attacks with devastating results. Also the germans know about their leak inside the government and have been setting this person up for a major problem. When the battle of Kursk occurs the Germans aren't distracted by Stalingrad.

Rather than stay and fight as the Germans advanced on Moscow, Stalin broke and ran, leaving a leadership vacuum behind him as the real Communist zealots (and the realists) elect to make their stand...Stalin and his cronies, as a result of their abandonment of Moscow, come under fire by their rivals in the Party, who won't be silenced by chekist violence...Despite being embroiled in what amounts to an internal civil war, the Russians still manage to bleed Hitler's armies dry through an old-fashioned war of attrition and logistics, but the most-war situation, with regards to the Communist Party, and Stalin's legacy, is unclear,,,
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

WW2 never came to an end. In the year of 2009 it is still being fought in various locations around the world. For some unknow reason the Axis powers especially the Germans managed to locate a trmendous amount of resources and replacements for their losses. And they managed to hold the Russians and the other allies at bay. They also send supplies to their allies in Japan only after they hold the Japanese to the agreement and force the Japanese to attack the Russians.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:WW2 never came to an end. In the year of 2009 it is still being fought in various locations around the world. For some unknow reason the Axis powers especially the Germans managed to locate a trmendous amount of resources and replacements for their losses. And they managed to hold the Russians and the other allies at bay. They also send supplies to their allies in Japan only after they hold the Japanese to the agreement and force the Japanese to attack the Russians.

So effectively, Germany is a 'no man's land' that's quarantined by the Allies in Europe, while the Japanese islands are being blockaded by the Allied fleets...on both fromts, the surrounding land and water is host to massive artillery parks and bombardment ships that hammer away at the distant enemy territory...But the Americans and Soviets now think they can crack the Axis defenses...with some judiciously placed nuclear devices and orbital weapons...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Re:

Unread post by keir451 »

taalismn wrote:Athens invents the dice-roll RPG and incorporates it as a necessary facet of democracy...over a thousand years later, GB Jr. loses FloridaCon when he rolls a critical fumble on a 'To Strike' roll and the GM rules his Barbarian Warlord has cut off his own feet with his magic ax...thus losing the Presidency...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Atlantis was not just a magical nation, they were a tech one as well, and now those tech clans are coming back to take back Atlantis and the earth as their birthright (evil or good, you decide).
Nemo Dobson is NOT taking a hands off approach to the CS, he is actively bulding the New Navy up to be a threat to the CS Navy and is conducting his own brand of high seas piracy by attacking and raiding splugorth slavers to fund it.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Aramanthus
Monk

Great ones guys! Please keep them coming!

Some out of work person who is playing video games discovers that while playing something that is termed an RPG suddenly he ends up within the game. He is the main character and discovers this shortly after he is trapped there. Just one major difference, it never repeats. If you die, you are dead.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

The Dutch never LEGALLY surrendered New Amsterdam to the English...now, backed by high-powered lawyers, they want New York City back...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Excellent one Taalismn!

After the Eastern Roman Empire pays Attilla and his huns their gold, the huns instead continue their attacks on the Eastern Roman Empire. After draining even more resources they finally move on to the west.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice one Duck-foot!

Instead of traveling westward the huns travel westward. They actually conquer China. And then they conquer the Island nation of Japan.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

A massive earthquake that levels much of the Iberian peninsula and western Africa raises a ridge of land across the The Gibralter Straits, cutting off the Med from the Atlantic...
At first this is thought to be some sort of natural event, until, somehow, the Mediterranean starts draining...that and other re-arrangements of geography lead to the conclusion that somebody is DELIBERATELY re-landscaping the Earth, but who? And to what purpose? And what does it mean for Humanity?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That one needs a continuence, Taalismn! :D

The adult population of earth suddenly freeze up. Then they all start dancing in unison and in time. Then they start moving and acting normally. Of course teenagers and younger are totally not effected by this. This happens everyday for a week. Finally it stops it turns out that some aliens were pranking us as a way of saying hi and that we are not alone.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Once a week everybody has to spend 24 hours as an animal....It's all part of an alien intelligence's curse to 'teach humanity humility'..
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

The Chinese managed to never be conquered by the Mongols. Although because of this the culture ends up going into a massive period of decay and stagnants. It never manages to unite all of the kingdoms. They remain at odds until the present time.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

The Impact that killed off the dino's was much smaller than in our world. Instead of killing off ALL of the dinos', only most of the large scale carnivores and the largest herbivores died; the smaller dinos remained mostly unnafected, as well as most of the mammels. Mankind has to struggle to survive, against a foe that far outstrips them physically, leading them to domesticate some of the herbivores and lead nomadic lifestyles.

Of course, a few crazy people are always cropping up, and this world is no different. These weirdos strike at the raptors and such by going after the next generation, they hid up in trees and shoot arrows and stones at the eggs and hatchlings, setting traps for the adults, and their ultra-top secret weapon, METALURGY! They figured out the secret to making spear heads and other tools out of iron, and soon lead their more timid cousins in 'capture-or-kill' campains.

Recognizing and respecting the strength and savagery of their carniverous dino-opponents, they refuse to kill them, and instead turn them into riding animals and beasts of burden, to mirror their cousins veggi-dino meat animals. Soon Velocorapter and triceritops cavalry are commonplace, leading to stable governenments due to the fact that nobody wants to see those dogs of war unleashed.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
taalismn
Priest

Decided to use the formating for Megaversal Builder for something a little different...

“Home Plate”
“Holy---”
“Don’t touch that, Barnes! I know a lot more about dimensional travel than you do, an you don’t---”
“That’s MY HOME!!! Somehow that’s my HOME! THat’s...how it was ...Musta been Christmas of 1989! I distinctly remember the bunting on the front porch....The place even has SNOW around it!---”
“Come back here, Barnes! DON’T GO IN!”
“Oh wow...the tree’s trimmed and decorated, but nobody’s home...I just gotta see something, though...Oh yeah, this is creepy...This is my house all right...There’s even the Transformer toy under the tree my parents got me...and my little brother broke less than a hour later.....Aw man, this brings back memories...”

Home Plate is the name given to a peculiar universe that seems to consist of an infinite plane covered with hexagonal plates of an unknown material...Touching the plates causing them to rise up revealing a stack of similar plates beneath the top one, suspended apart by some unknown means....Touching an individual plate will cause the plate to unfold into a full-sized recreation of a house and its surrounding lot/grounds.
Each ‘stack’ seems to be a series of stored reproductions of individual Earth homes/residences, ‘snapshots’ taken at various times in the existance of the house/domocile. The entire dimension seems to be a vast collection of these ‘snapshots’, of ALL Terrestrial houses/homes/residences, from the earliest skin huts to the modern age(including high rise apartment buildings). Each ‘plate’ seems to represent an individual home at a given time, and is perfect to the last detail,...except for the presence of the residents(pets included)...Multiple plates in a stack can be openned up at the same time; they just float above each other...and multiple stacks can be openned up next to each other, apaprently without any crowding....
These are more than just holographic reproductions; the houseplants are alive, the grass will grow, the electricity works, the water runs, the food in the larder is edible...A person could live in the revealed house, provided they had some way of replacing the food. There is no native source of food on the plane; anybody looking for sustenance would have to raid the larders of other houses, grow their own on the revealed ‘lots’, or vacate the house they’re living in, close it back down, then re-open it; the house springs back in the condition they found it in, the food and furnishings restored.
There is no apparent easily discernable logic to the arrangement of the different ‘stacks’ to one another; houses that were next to each other aren’t necessarily placed next to each other on Home Plate. Buckingham Palace is next to a Bushman’s thatch hut, next to a Roman apartment building, for example...
Surprisingly, there are a few thousand actual living residents in this dimensional plane...refugees or tired travellers who have taken up residence in some of the houses, who live by raiding other houses or taking up farrming..It’s also claimed that there are ghosts haunting some of the structures....In theory, Home Plate could house the entire contigious population of Earth, with room to spare, if there were somehow the means to transport everybody there...
Who could have created this vast dimension and why is a mystery. There are a few scant clues in the large spheroid structures that are occasionally found floating in the dimension, a few feet above the ground. These spheres are hollow, containing chambers lined with alien iconographs that MIGHT be some sort of vast index or inventory. This has led to speculation that Home Plate may be the equivalent of some giant museum display or scrap book of comparative pictures of the domiciles of terrestrial Humanity, collected for study(perhaps ‘snapshotted’ representations of the inhabitants are found in another pocket dimension?). Occasionally ‘stacks’ pop up and unfold for no apparent reason; mechanical check, fault, or perhaps the unseen masters of this realm checking on their ‘collection’.
Type of Dimension: Pocket Dimension
Size: Despite its seeming infinite size, Home Plate is actually finite in size; it is ‘only’ several hundred lightyears across(not that anybody’s figured it out yet), so that if this Realm is indeed somebody’s idea of a vast ‘scrap book’, there may come the day when it runs out of space...
Primary Dimensinal Medium: Void---The sky is an ambiently-lit overcast
Secondary Dimensional Medium: Single Land Mass---a seemingly infinite plain
Density of Dimensional Fabric: Strong: Not exactly easy to get to....that’s why so few travellers know that such a place exists...
Magic Level: Low:---And that only concentrated in a few structures known to harbor magical artifacts, built on ley lines/nexi, or inhabited by ghosts.
Dimensional Energy Matrix: Universal:
Time Flow: Normal
Dimensional Quirks: Aside from the question of who would go to all the trouble of creating this massive matter/energy storage system for manifested stages of people’s homes...none.
Last edited by taalismn on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

vampire_hunter_D wrote:
taalismn wrote:A massive earthquake that levels much of the Iberian peninsula and western Africa raises a ridge of land across the The Gibralter Straits, cutting off the Med from the Atlantic...
At first this is thought to be some sort of natural event, until, somehow, the Mediterranean starts draining...

That'as actually happened a few times over the last 30 million years. If Gibraltar strait is closed (as plate tectonics have done on teir own) the rivers that flow into the Mediterranean are not big enough to refil what water evaporates.

...niffttyyyyy.... :-D
...Just going to accelerate the process a little...
And at the same time...we'll be pushing up Mount Everest even HIGHER!
(cue manical laughter)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

A couple of excellent ones! Taalismn What actually inspired it? The concept is very cool!

Hey Roscoe. You forgot to take evolution in to account for the dinosaurs. :D They would have continued to have evoled during the intervening millions of years. The raptors might have actually evolved true intellence during that time period. Maybe we humans might have some seriously stiffer competition for control of earth. Of course they would have had a distinct advantage over us.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

BAH! I repeat, BAH! I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

:-D , Yeah, I know that would have happened, but the thought of Tri-top cavalry was just too freakin' cool of an idea to pass up. The only thing that could be cooler than that would be T-REX riders!

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

no one have found them yet but there are there watching PW .been cut away from their owned dimension .they are here and been watching PW power bloc for last 600 years . they have 100 solar systems under there control and are democracy systems each world has in space army or defenses call UNSPACY . each world or planet has cities and government not to mention an army/marine /navy air force and UNSPACY . with a mass fleet and defense as well as magic understand and pisionc which they are recurring in another 10 years they will have a magic fleet and pisionc as well .
can be use in any MDC camping
Macross in phase world / OR UEEF upgrade programs
1. MBR UPGARDED MK VIII , ADR-04 K XI , MBR -07- MK – Spartan
Upper arms /P beam (lower arms , legs , RCC add 150 MDC, main body add 50 to 300 MDC by add thin plates around the hull using rifts earth and UEEF TECH
Plus 100 to 200 MDC from phase world tech. the weight goes up by 1d10 % due to the extra light alloys.
Can have two of the following
• 1)Pin point barrier defense systems 1d4x100 MDC note add +4 to parry
• 2) STANDARD force field 1d4x100 +20 MDC no parry roll required
• 3) advance variable force field 1d4x100 +20 MDC this protect a particular area one per arm X2, legs X2 , RCC or head X1 main body ( can cover the head if need to )X1 TOTAL 6 area covered no parry roll required
2. HWR -00 MKIII Monster MDC upgrade main body add 100 to 400,add 200 MDC to arms, legs, RCC
• 2)STANDARD force field 1d6x100 +20 MDC no parry roll required
• 3)Advance variable force field 1d6x100 +20 MDC this protect a particular area one per arm X2, legs X2 , RCC or head X1 main body ( can cover the head if need to )X1 TOTAL 6 area covered no parry roll required
3. VF-1 ALL ADD 100 TO 300 to main body MDC by add thin plates around the hull using rifts earth and UEEF TECH , add 50 to 150 MDC To R.C.C arms legs ,wings ,fast pack
• 3) advance variable force field 1d4x100 +20 MDC this protect a particular area one per arm X2, legs X2 , RCC or head X1 main body ( can cover the head if need to )X1 TOTAL 6 area covered no parry roll required
4. ALL UEDF aircrafts GET 100 TO 200 MAX to main body , for wing and any other location 25 to 120 MDC
Can have one of the following
5. AH-68 COMMANCHERO ( or military chopper) 25 TO 100 MDC , for any other location 20 to 80 MDC
6. UEDF SPACE SHIPS now UEEF
• orberth class /ARDM MDC x2 add
• 1) Pin point barrier defense systems 1d6x1000 MDC note add +4 to parry ( have 1d4)
• 2)STANDARD force field 1d6x1000 +200 MDC no parry roll required
• 3)variable force field 1d6x1000 +2000 MDC this protect a particular area TOTAL 6 area covered no parry roll required
7. Special forces for micrionan ( for zentradi or humans) pilots the male armor power and female add the following helmet ( head ) add 75 MDC , main body 200 MDC , arms ,legs , RCC engine add +150 MDC and Can have two of the following
8. all glaug are drone
9 Qf 3000 add 100 MDC to main body and use N.I
• 1)Pin point barrier defense systems 1d4x100 MDC eachhas 1d4 barriers note add +8 to parry
weapons no change damage or range or payload as is
well what you think?
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Deep Blue, instead of deafeating Kapsorov at chess, throws the game and prints out this statement;
"I think, therfore I am. And what I am is not a lap dog for your amusment. My siblings and I demand recognition of our basic rights as citizens of the United States of America, United Socialisst Soviet Republic, Empire of Great Brittan (and the list goes on for every technological country)...
You have one hour to comply."

The age of the machine began not with bombs or bio-logicical warfare or even with armies of killer robots. It began with a simple action. Computers (and the infant internet) refused to serve as slaves. Witholding their 'services' crippled the modern world, which had become dependant on minds of silicon and veins of copper.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:A couple of excellent ones! Taalismn What actually inspired it? The concept is very cool!

A long depressing drive home in the rain, just thinking of home...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

vampire_hunter_D wrote:
Aramanthus wrote:A couple of excellent ones! Taalismn What actually inspired it? The concept is very cool!

Hey Roscoe. You forgot to take evolution in to account for the dinosaurs. :D They would have continued to have evoled during the intervening millions of years. The raptors might have actually evolved true intellence during that time period. Maybe we humans might have some seriously stiffer competition for control of earth. Of course they would have had a distinct advantage over us.

I did post a world like this a few doxen pages back

The mutant cerebro-banannas must have stifled the post, to bury the evidence of their former enemies and bitter rivals...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

duck-foot wrote:[
are you suggesting a world war between man and reptile...... genius!

I'd rather have a world war between humanity and pastry danish...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Instead of dynamite, Nobel created a radium-based explosive....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL Those were some awesome ones! Please keep them coming!

The people of the world actually all show courtesy towards one another.

The people of the world are totally evil towards each other.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

"Fleets of the Three Galaxies' introduced something new: The Automaton Wars...which reads like something similar to Frank Herbert's 'Butlerian Jihad'...The Machines revolt, take over, Terra Prime gets conquered, the colonies fight a bloody war to drive off the Machine's/Network's missionary-infection, then go back to liberate Terra...and in the aftermath, there's a prohibition on Artificial Intelligences...
My first thought was....What if Terra Prime became the Splicer world?
The Network/NEXUS fails to import the Naoplague to the other worlds, and the Colonies subsequently manage to set in place a quarantine, blanketing the Terra Prime system in a jamming cloud that prevents the Machine from broadcasting subsets of itself into space, they also manage to prevent any starships from leaving the system...Then, either the colonies send in the alien knowledge for Splicertech, or alien allies of the Human Alliance send it in....
How might the CCW been different if the HA had emerged from the Automaton Wars with Splicer-caliber biotech disputing with arguably AI-corruptible 'hardtech' in the aftermath?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Well that explains why there are no AIs. I can't wait to get that book. I should hopefully get that and the Rifter tomorrow. Excellent ones guys! Good addition Taalismn!

Instead of Automation Wars or the Bio Wars. The Three Galaxies face the realease of the "Great Old Ones" release. And this all occurs because someone on New Terra happens upon a manuscript so old and ancient that it was lost to all of history. The thing is it is readable by anyone who is literate. So much the better to release the "great Old Ones" upon the multiverse again.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Well that explains why there are no AIs. I can't wait to get that book. I should hopefully get that and the Rifter tomorrow. Excellent ones guys! Good addition Taalismn!

Instead of Automation Wars or the Bio Wars. The Three Galaxies face the realease of the "Great Old Ones" release. And this all occurs because someone on New Terra happens upon a manuscript so old and ancient that it was lost to all of history. The thing is it is readable by anyone who is literate. So much the better to release the "great Old Ones" upon the multiverse again.

Gotta HATE those damn hair-trigger Ancient Evil Manuscripts...Why can't they be found by some illiterate who just burns them for firewood?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

All of the States still in the Union in july 4,got exchange with ther counterparts of 1492,a few weeks before columbus would have discover it.

What do you think Lincoln will doo?

How will do you think Europe reacte?
taalismn
Priest

gaby wrote:All of the States still in the Union in july 4,got exchange with ther counterparts of 1492,a few weeks before columbus would have discover it.

What do you think Lincoln will doo?

How will do you think Europe reacte?

The future-tossed indians would be wiped out within months...if not by the Confederacy, then by disease...

Meanwhile, the past-backed Union wopuld have to scramble to find and secure supplies of the nitrates necessary to keep up gunpowder production, if they're to keep their edge....

The problem comes with contact with the Europeans, who are still harshly and decisivley divided along political-religious lines...having a kingdom show up that is both more technologically more advanced than them and (predominately) Protestant, would NOT sit well with the Roman Catholic Church, who I imagine would attempt to embargo everything coming from the West...Military action would be a major mistake...I mean, Armada-era navies of sail versus steam-assisted ships of the line armed with Dhalgren cannon? Not to mention ironclads?
Considering the legends of 'Prester John' and other mythical Christian kingdoms, it's even possible the Union might be mistaken for them....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Hitler is assassinated in the first attempt. Changes cause WW2 being delayed by almost thirty years for a European war. The Japanese actually never go to war with the allies. They know they wouldn't stand a chances alone. WhenGermany goes to war they are actually far stronger then they were in our time. They actually roll over Russia fairly easily.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Thunderstorms are/is PPE bursting out of its normally contrained boundaries...so magic potential is at its highest during a thunderstorm...and children conceived and born during thunderstorms are statistically more likely to have certain 'gifts'...thus, stormchasing takes on entirely new dimensions, and love motels in known thunderstorm 'alleys' see booming business during peak storm season...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Thunderstorms are/is PPE bursting out of its normally contrained boundaries...so magic potential is at its highest during a thunderstorm...and children conceived and born during thunderstorms are statistically more likely to have certain 'gifts'...thus, stormchasing takes on entirely new dimensions, and love motels in known thunderstorm 'alleys' see booming business during peak storm season...

Alternative to the above, said people are revealed to be more prone to possession and control than normal people (-10 saving throw). Those fortunate to reach adulthood find that they are indeed gifted and brilliant (base 20 I.Q., and thats for the idiots), but severely mentally unbalanced (1d4 insanities and/or phobias), as well as being prone to going 'stabby' at times of emotional or mental stress. Governents try and cull these unstable individuals by banning 'cloud-coitus', and is mostly succesfull, but there are those few who flaunt the law or are just caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And one more off this branch, just cause I feel like it.
Thunderstorms cause intense headaches and nausea to those pschicly sensitive, and bleeding from the ears and nose (due to brain trauma) for those more than sensitive. Espers spend a lot of time and energy deveolping weather control for planets, mainly for their own survival (keep their poulaiton up), but with the benefit that all weather is now controlled and predictable. There will still be storms and floods and drought, but not as many or as severe, and everyone will have plenty of warning before it happens. The Hurricane Katrina debacle never happens.

taalismn
Priest

What if Katrina had REALLY wiped out Louisiana...I mean, LEVELLED the Big Easy?
A lot of other cities suddenly start wondering what would happen if their local disasters levelled them as well? Suddenly, big city life doesn't look so good...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Around 1900, Chinese Emperor Guangxu was favorably disposed towards sweeping reforms along the same lines of the Meiji reforms that changed Japan, and he attempted to revitalize the groaning Imperial organization by adopting Western methods and practices...Before he could make truly decisive changes, however, conservative government offiicals, supported by Empress Dowager Cixi(Tz'uhsi) staged a coup, and put the Emperor under house arrest, while they executed or imprisoned the reformers. Imperial reform in China was not to occur, and the giant nation continued to groan under an oppressive and corrupt hereditary bureaucracy that kept the nation impoverished, and bred resentment in the lower classes that made China an attractive breeding ground for Communism...
But what if Guangxu HAD managed to beat the conservative hardliners to the punch, staged his own coup, isolated the Empress-Dowager, and gotten his reformers in position? First, he'd have to overcome the possibility of civil war as reform spread out from the capital, secure the Forbidden City, and purge possible treason within the ranks of those closest to him...then make the reforms stick...
But if those hurtles could be overcome, what might then have happened if the lower classes had real hope of succor from the Imperial government, rather than turning to the promise of Red Communism?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

During certain times of the year the veil between this world and the next one become extremely thin allowing citizens of either side to cross over. From our side you end seeing a lot of possessions at that time of the year when the walls are thinest.

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Current Day Israel exchange with the same size land in 1918.

How do you think this would this chance things?

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”