Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Chris0013
Hero

Re: Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook

Unread post by Chris0013 »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Chris0013 wrote:
Shadow Chronicles gave them a great starting point for a new series
only if talking off from a steaming pile of crap is a "great" starting point...
The movie lacked any real depth and no real development of the polt in anyway, besides adding a few cup sizes to a few female characters... (Note Marlene's EE cups, that were maybe A's when Rand saw her nude in Robotech..... )

Could it have been better definately...but it introduced the characters and set the direction for the new story.
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

josephddm wrote:[...] after one hour and a half of movie they'd only left the same unresolved doubts with the exception that the new Lynn Minmay is the J.A.N.I.C.E. entity (as a cybernetic being, please someone explain to me if she doesn't has feelings, in a natural mood, how she would transmit it to the "enemy" and disable him; thank you)

As stupid as it sounds, the leaked plot outline for "Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles Part II" (dated 2007) indicates that Janice does in fact have real emotions, as she falls in love with Marcus.

josephddm wrote:Well that last I know is not canon at all and is closer to the japanese Macross series canon. Thanks for your patience.

Eh... it applies well enough to Robotech, or at least Carl Macek thought so before he changed his story and started claiming he DELIBERATELY made Robotech's Minmei an atrociously awful singer... :roll:
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
josephddm wrote:[...] after one hour and a half of movie they'd only left the same unresolved doubts with the exception that the new Lynn Minmay is the J.A.N.I.C.E. entity (as a cybernetic being, please someone explain to me if she doesn't has feelings, in a natural mood, how she would transmit it to the "enemy" and disable him; thank you)

As stupid as it sounds, the leaked plot outline for "Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles Part II" (dated 2007) indicates that Janice does in fact have real emotions, as she falls in love with Marcus.
and then makes a Macross + style love triangle...
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Colonel Wolfe wrote:and then makes a Macross + style love triangle...

... before revealing that the reincarnated Zor's genius plan to defeat the Haydonites is to build a REALLY big gun. :lol:

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:and then makes a Macross + style love triangle...

... before revealing that the reincarnated Zor's genius plan to defeat the Haydonites is to build a REALLY big gun. :lol:
thats always a good Idea.. I'm sure Ty had a huge woodie when he wrote that...
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Chris0013
Hero

josephddm wrote:
Chris0013 wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Chris0013 wrote:
Shadow Chronicles gave them a great starting point for a new series
only if talking off from a steaming pile of crap is a "great" starting point...
The movie lacked any real depth and no real development of the polt in anyway, besides adding a few cup sizes to a few female characters... (Note Marlene's EE cups, that were maybe A's when Rand saw her nude in Robotech..... )

Could it have been better definately...but it introduced the characters and set the direction for the new story.

But this was shown 25 years ago in episode 85:"Symphony of Light".We don't need they remembering us that finale every time they'll make something new or this would turn into a never ending loop(of totally non-sense)and after one hour and a half of movie they'd only left the same unresolved doubts with the exception that the new Lynn Minmay is the J.A.N.I.C.E. entity(as a cybernetic being,please someone explain to me if she doesn't has feelings,in a natural mood,how she would transmit it to the "enemy" and disable him;thank you) and this reaks me a lot,because the basis for the Minmay attack effectiveness is the habilty to transmit and make others "feel" what you are feeling at the moment(sadness,hapiness,etc.).
Well that last I know is not canon at all and is closer to the japanese Macross series canon.Thanks for your patience.

Hence the reason I said it could have been better....start with the scene in Omicron sector with the SDF-3 and the Icarus.....The Icarus gets away from the situation and comes to Earth and this is where Scott shows up from the end of the original episode.
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
Seto Kaiba
Knight

josephddm wrote:J.A.N.I.C.E. with marcus Rush? :eek: ,what happens with Louie?

Making a long story short... the leaked outline says that Janice falls for Marcus after being saved by him during a Haydonite ambush, and Louie pouts over it and tries to cover up his displeasure by throwing himself into his work.

josephddm wrote:also is Dr.Lang dead when the Deukalion took the damage from the Neutron-S missiles?.Was him on board?.

He's one of the ones who's only "probably dead" instead of "definitely dead" because Prelude wasn't clear on whether he was on the Deukalion or SDF-3 when the bomb went off... but given the unseemly haste with which Prelude killed off the remaining Macross Saga cast, that he's dead is the safer bet.

Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Where are you getting this information that the original cast of macross is all dead? It just sounds like unfounded rumors and speculation with a truck load of assuming on your part. Can you site specifics other than Breetai's death?
Chris0013
Hero

josephddm wrote:Hey Chris0013,it is nothing personal against you,it's only an eding must of us has viewed many years ago and to remember the end of the series you only need ten minutes of footage well planned and then put the movie into the real fact of things to resolve doubts not to generate new ones by simply twisting the old ones.
To Seto:
J.A.N.I.C.E. with marcus Rush? :eek: ,what happens with Louie?,also is Dr.Lang dead when the Deukalion took the damage from the Neutron-S missiles?.Was him on board?.

I was agreeing with that point....take out the first half of the movie that re-hashes the ending of the original episodes and replace with more material....or tell that part without the Scott and Ariel scenes.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Tiree wrote:Where are you getting this information that the original cast of macross is all dead? It just sounds like unfounded rumors and speculation with a truck load of assuming on your part. Can you site specifics other than Breetai's death?
isn't it better they are dead... then what TY has done with ASC characters, and left them in the Null void... ignoring the entire Era...
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Tiree wrote:Where are you getting this information that the original cast of macross is all dead? It just sounds like unfounded rumors and speculation with a truck load of assuming on your part. Can you site specifics other than Breetai's death?
isn't it better they are dead... then what TY has done with ASC characters, and left them in the Null void... ignoring the entire Era...

Depressing isn't it when you're actually glad the characters are written off as dead rather than being subjected to all sorts of indignities by new writers?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Nightmask wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Depressing isn't it when you're actually glad the characters are written off as dead rather than being subjected to all sorts of indignities by new writers?

Very Glad Macross Chars are dead...
Nightmask
Palladin

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Very Glad Macross Chars are dead...

There's always the MST3K mantra, if you don't like the ending you can just enjoy your own. So the new stuff you can enjoy dismissing as an alternate continuity and the real Macross characters are alive and well fighting the good fight and saving the day wherever they go.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

So, it take it you're one of the ones who never bothered to read Prelude then? I had some interesting one-on-one conversations and group chats with Tommy Yune about all the changes and new developments in Robotech back around '07-'09, and this was a topic that came up fairly often. One of the major things that Prelude did was to get rid of the legally problematic (unusable) holdovers from the original Macross's cast.

Definitely Dead
    These characters are confirmed dead, and have their deaths prominently featured in the series. General Edwards is included because his backstory and motivation ties him HEAVILY to the Macross Saga.
  • Lynn Kyle - Killed by General Edwards
  • Breetai - Killed while fighting the Regent when Edwards blew his ship up
  • UEEF Zentradi Forces - Killed by Edwards while fighting on the Regent's ship
  • Exedore - Killed aboard the Deukalion during the Neutron-S missile test
  • T.R. Edwards - Killed from orbit by the SDF-3 Pioneer (Refit)
  • Claudia Grant - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Vanessa Leeds - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Kim Young - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Sammy Porter - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Henry Gloval - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Roy Fokker - Dead, killed in ep18
  • Ben Dixon - Dead, killed in ep19
  • Dolza - Dead, killed in ep27
  • Khyron - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Azonia - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Grel - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • "Roy Hunter" - Confirmed dead by miscarriage

Almost Certainly Dead
    The characters listed herein are almost definitely dead, either due to their circumstances in the story, the legal problems in using them again, or both. Max and Miriya are the two most legally problematic characters of all due to their extensive list of appearances in subsequent Macross titles, and thus are pretty much guaranteed to be dead.
  • Dr. Emil Lang - Either was on Deukalion (in which case he's dead) or the SDF-3 (in which case he's just very probably dead) during the neutron-s missile test that wiped out the whole crew of the Deukalion and caused severe casualties aboard the SDF-3. Not mentioned among the survivors of the neutron-s blast or Haydonite attacks on the SDF-3 in the leaked Part II outline.
  • Max Sterling - Aboard the SDF-3 when the Regent shot the bow off it... which shredded most of the ship's midsection, destroyed its vital systems, and damn near killed people who were on its command deck 3/4 of the ship's length away, with extensive casualties among its crew. Not mentioned among the survivors of the neutron-s blast or Haydonite attacks on the SDF-3 in the leaked Part II outline.
  • Miriya Sterling - Same as Max.

Alive, but Incapacitated
    Just for yuks, we'll include Max and Miriya's kid here, even though "Dana" is unlikely to be appearing ever again due to the general fan antipathy for the character and the possibility of legal complications since Southern Cross is also a Big West title. We'll also throw in our boy Lazlo Zand, since his backstory's tied to Lang's pretty heavily.
  • Lynn Minmei - Abducted by Edwards, apparently extensively abused during her year as his prisoner, to the extent that her appearance shocked and horrified veteran soldiers, and she was packed off for rehabilitation. Rick implies that she was near to death when UEEF soldiers rescued her.
  • Lisa Hayes-Hunter - Severely injured and nearly died in the Regent's attack on the SDF-3, miscarried, confined to a wheelchair for a year, and resigned her commission to become Earth's representative on the Sentinels Council.
  • Dana Sterling - Alive, survived the Invid attack on Earth, but suffering severe combat trauma and possible abandonment issues, doesn't talk anymore, confirmed to have survived the Battle of Reflex Point by the 2-16-07 outline of RTSC Part II.
  • Dr. Lazlo Zand - Captured by UEEF ground forces (2044), incarcerated for high treason, and a list of other crimes probably too long to name. Might even be facing a firing squad for his crimes.

Colonel Wolfe wrote:isn't it better they are dead... then what TY has done with ASC characters, and left them in the Null void... ignoring the entire Era...

Nah, most of them are dead... or at least probably dead. The only confirmed survivors are Dana, Louie, and Bowie, the latter of whom is slated for a reunion with his parents in the RTSC plot outline. The reason they're ignoring the entire era is pretty obvious... it had the worst ratings of any saga, the worst polling results, and the worst merchandise sales.

Nightmask wrote:So the new stuff you can enjoy dismissing as an alternate continuity and the real Macross characters are alive and well fighting the good fight and saving the day wherever they go.

Or you could just watch Macross... most of those characters aren't dead in that, and some even make appearances again! If you really want, I can list what became of them all after the original series.

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Sadly I think Robotech is virtually dead. Back in the Day Anime was a rare and hard to come by thing. Today its stupidly easy to get what you want via Ebay, Amazon and various other online stores or even local shops that will order for you. Robotech had its time but it is no longer as relevant as it used to be now as influential. Problem is those at HG can't or do not want to see that.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Seto Kaiba wrote:The reason they're ignoring the entire era is pretty obvious... it had the worst ratings of any saga, the worst polling results, and the worst merchandise sales.

:roll:

Yes, we get it already. Everybody hates Southern Cross. The designs suck. Studio Ammonite was full of crap-flinging morons. The animators should burn in a chemical fire until their remains can no longer be identified. Get off it already....

Warning: User warned for trolling. -NMI
MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:The reason they're ignoring the entire era is pretty obvious... it had the worst ratings of any saga, the worst polling results, and the worst merchandise sales.

Yes, we get it already. Everybody hates Southern Cross. The designs suck. Studio Ammonite was full of crap-flinging morons. The animators should burn in a chemical fire until their remains can no longer be identified. Get off it already....

I love the Southern Cross era. When I ran it, my friends had a great time as we did so much more with it than fight aliens.
Best part of the Southern Cross? Nova Satori. Is it possible to have a crush on a cartoon character?
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Yes, we get it already. Everybody hates Southern Cross. The designs suck. Studio Ammonite was full of crap-flinging morons. The animators should burn in a chemical fire until their remains can no longer be identified. Get off it already....

:rolleyes: Look, I realize you're really geared up to do the persecution complex thing, but nobody said any of that. I wasn't the one who brought it up, and all I did was list the reasons Harmony Gold's staff have given for why they basically ignore the Masters Saga. Even if you don't like the news, it's still considered bad practice to shoot the messenger. :lol:

Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

MikeM wrote:Is it possible to have a crush on a cartoon character?
Yes.

Ah, Musica... :angel:
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Sgt Anjay wrote:
MikeM wrote:Is it possible to have a crush on a cartoon character?
Yes.

Ah, Musica... :angel:

Got a thing for triplets? :P
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chris0013
Hero

MikeM wrote:
Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:

I love the Southern Cross era. When I ran it, my friends had a great time as we did so much more with it than fight aliens.
Best part of the Southern Cross? Nova Satori. Is it possible to have a crush on a cartoon character?

Only if you are a depraved perv :lol:

As to the SC portion....it never gets enough love......2nd best ground mecha (sorry Cyclones rule), great interpersonal characterization with the 13th and their outsiders, actual ship to ship combat.....the list goes on and on.

I think the one serious gripe is they tried to put TOO MUCH in it....Macross was really the story of Rick Hunter with pretty much everyone supporting him....New Gen was following a group of survivors thru a wasteland with no one else really being around for more than one episode.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Chris0013 wrote: [
New Gen was following a group of survivors thru a wasteland with no one else really being around for more than one episode.
yeah, Scott and Crew managed to leave a string of Dead bodies form south America to reflex point...
and sadly, not a medic in the crew, they readily left people for dead who might have been passed out from shock...
Chris0013
Hero

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
New Gen was following a group of survivors thru a wasteland with no one else really being around for more than one episode.
yeah, Scott and Crew managed to leave a string of Dead bodies form south America to reflex point...
and sadly, not a medic in the crew, they readily left people for dead who might have been passed out from shock...

You were a traitor and deserved to be left for the buzzards. :clown:
Nightmask
Palladin

Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Well not like it was a proper military team with a field medic assigned to it or at least someone with medical skills. It was a more ad-hoc assembly and not like they could do much for anyone with no medical training. Of course it still generates a 'What the hell, Hero?' moment at times because of how readily they abandon people who might not be dead or who could survive with some care.

My main dislike with the Invid Invasion though was the destruction of Denver; they find an entire pre-Apocalypse city intact and with an endless supply of energy and resources that could do wonders for humanity and instead they blow it up to take out some Invid.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Chris0013 wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

You were a traitor and deserved to be left for the buzzards. :clown:

Traitor is a Relaitive term, ask the Thousands of innocent Civilians his actions protected... and when scott let him die... they died... He was sacraficing a few to save many many more... much more a hero, then Scott to saved the Regesis after he got Stockholm complex...
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Seto Kaiba wrote:So, it take it you're one of the ones who never bothered to read Prelude then? I had some interesting one-on-one conversations and group chats with Tommy Yune about all the changes and new developments in Robotech back around '07-'09, and this was a topic that came up fairly often. One of the major things that Prelude did was to get rid of the legally problematic (unusable) holdovers from the original Macross's cast.

No I actually did read the PTSC - but I just recently read them.

Seto Kaiba wrote:
    Definitely Dead
    These characters are confirmed dead, and have their deaths prominently featured in the series. General Edwards is included because his backstory and motivation ties him HEAVILY to the Macross Saga.
  • Lynn Kyle - Killed by General Edwards
  • Breetai - Killed while fighting the Regent when Edwards blew his ship up
  • UEEF Zentradi Forces - Killed by Edwards while fighting on the Regent's ship
  • Exedore - Killed aboard the Deukalion during the Neutron-S missile test
  • T.R. Edwards - Killed from orbit by the SDF-3 Pioneer (Refit)
  • Claudia Grant - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Vanessa Leeds - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Kim Young - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Sammy Porter - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Henry Gloval - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Roy Fokker - Dead, killed in ep18
  • Ben Dixon - Dead, killed in ep19
  • Dolza - Dead, killed in ep27
  • Khyron - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Azonia - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • Grel - Dead, killed at the end of the Macross Saga
  • "Roy Hunter" - Confirmed dead by miscarriage

I see the problem, you are adding in all the character death's from the whole Macross Series, not the survivors. Still based on this, what about: The Mayor, and the other small but lame characters that were present? We don't know what happened to them...

But in either cases, these characters die in order to further the story. Breetai's death was not lame and served a purpose. Lynn Kyle's death was to make all the fan's happy. T.R. Edwards was the main evil of Preludes, Roy Hunter was to show depth of the original characters (Lisa and Rick), I don't recall Exedore's death, but if it happened it was also a plot element to show how the Duekalion was important. And I still don't buy that ALL the Zentraedi forces died in battle

Seto Kaiba wrote:
    Almost Certainly Dead
    The characters listed herein are almost definitely dead, either due to their circumstances in the story, the legal problems in using them again, or both. Max and Miriya are the two most legally problematic characters of all due to their extensive list of appearances in subsequent Macross titles, and thus are pretty much guaranteed to be dead.
  • Dr. Emil Lang - Either was on Deukalion (in which case he's dead) or the SDF-3 (in which case he's just very probably dead) during the neutron-s missile test that wiped out the whole crew of the Deukalion and caused severe casualties aboard the SDF-3. Not mentioned among the survivors of the neutron-s blast or Haydonite attacks on the SDF-3 in the leaked Part II outline.
  • Max Sterling - Aboard the SDF-3 when the Regent shot the bow off it... which shredded most of the ship's midsection, destroyed its vital systems, and damn near killed people who were on its command deck 3/4 of the ship's length away, with extensive casualties among its crew. Not mentioned among the survivors of the neutron-s blast or Haydonite attacks on the SDF-3 in the leaked Part II outline.
  • Miriya Sterling - Same as Max.

I can see how this could be problematic to bringing these characters back. Oh but wait! They did it for Rick and Lisa!!! Why not for these two iconic characters.

Seto Kaiba wrote:
    Alive, but Incapacitated
    Just for yuks, we'll include Max and Miriya's kid here, even though "Dana" is unlikely to be appearing ever again due to the general fan antipathy for the character and the possibility of legal complications since Southern Cross is also a Big West title. We'll also throw in our boy Lazlo Zand, since his backstory's tied to Lang's pretty heavily.
  • Lynn Minmei - Abducted by Edwards, apparently extensively abused during her year as his prisoner, to the extent that her appearance shocked and horrified veteran soldiers, and she was packed off for rehabilitation. Rick implies that she was near to death when UEEF soldiers rescued her.
  • Lisa Hayes-Hunter - Severely injured and nearly died in the Regent's attack on the SDF-3, miscarried, confined to a wheelchair for a year, and resigned her commission to become Earth's representative on the Sentinels Council.
  • Dana Sterling - Alive, survived the Invid attack on Earth, but suffering severe combat trauma and possible abandonment issues, doesn't talk anymore, confirmed to have survived the Battle of Reflex Point by the 2-16-07 outline of RTSC Part II.
  • Dr. Lazlo Zand - Captured by UEEF ground forces (2044), incarcerated for high treason, and a list of other crimes probably too long to name. Might even be facing a firing squad for his crimes.

There has to be a line where it is drawn as Main Character, Supportive Character, and Fluff Character. Not all characters are created equal within TV and Anime series.

What this does tell me is that there is a lot of hard feelings about things that were said on another message board with the creator of TSC. Now from what I have seen is that enough to make judgment calls on the future of Robotech? Your call, mine is its open to debate till its in published print. I doubt 30+ years ago George Lucas had Jar Jar on the mind. But he did mention that Lava was part of Darth Vader's backstory. Again, take it with a grain of salt, and enjoy what is in print and in video. Then make the rest of backstory yourself!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Actually as of PttSC the onyl character we HAVE seen is Rick and it's quite possible that he and Lisa will be dead when the SF-3 is found.

That's assuming HG get's off it's ass and actually produces something but I ain't holding my breath on that one.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

jaymz wrote:Actually as of PttSC the only character we HAVE seen is Rick and it's quite possible that he and Lisa will be dead when the SF-3 is found.
one can only hope this is their fate... I Hate the Macross characters...
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Tiree wrote:I see the problem, you are adding in all the character death's from the whole Macross Series, not the survivors. Still based on this, what about: The Mayor, and the other small but lame characters that were present? We don't know what happened to them...

It's called being thorough... there weren't that many Macross Saga characters left in the series before Shadow Chronicles and Prelude rolled in anyway. I'm not talking about minor background characters nobody cares about, I'm talking about ones that actually matter to the story... who are also the ones that pose the biggest legal problem if they were to appear. The background filler characters are almost certainly dead anyway, either by old age or by being on the wrong end of two further genocidal wars with aliens... not that they matter.

Tiree wrote:But in either cases, these characters die in order to further the story.

That's a weak argument and you know it. Harmony Gold has always tried to pander to the majority of Robotech fans (aka Macross Saga fans), since that's what brings the money in. Since neither Harmony Gold nor Tatsunoko owns the copyrights on the character designs of the original Macross, those characters were already out-of-bounds for the Shadow Chronicles movie. It was a choice between getting rid of them or completely redesigning them to the point of being unrecognizable. Rick was a plot-critical piece, so he got the redesign, and everyone else got put on a bus.

Tiree wrote:I don't recall Exedore's death, but if it happened it was also a plot element to show how the Duekalion was important. And I still don't buy that ALL the Zentraedi forces died in battle

Exedore was standing about six feet from Janice when the neutron-s warhead went off and killed everyone on the Deukalion. He's definitely dead.

I'm not sure why the people on this forum always resort to "I disagree with it, therefore it's not true" as an argument. Breetai leads his forces into battle, and they're wiped out when Edwards destroys the Regent's flagship. No survivors are ever shown, nor are any even mentioned. In fact, from that point on we never see a Zentradi ever again... even in the Part II outline. Hell, they're not even MENTIONED after that, not even by a part-Zentradi character in the movie! You might not "buy it", but all the evidence points that way.

Tiree wrote:I can see how this could be problematic to bringing these characters back. Oh but wait! They did it for Rick and Lisa!!! Why not for these two iconic characters.

Lisa appeared when in the Shadow Chronicles movie? Oh that's right, she never did! The only way Rick made it through was because he was plot critical, and you'd only ever know it was him if someone told you... he was the only character to receive a ground-up redesign to duck a copyright infringement lawsuit. Conveniently, Redesigned-Rick is the only Macross Saga character slated to appear in any of those RTSC movies. "Max and Miriya" are much more legally problematic than Rick, since at least Hikaru up and vanished after Flashback 2012... Macross's Maximilian Jenius and Milia Fallyna Jenius are the most frequently recurring characters in canon Macross, and are thus much more dangerous for Robotech to redesign for further use.

Oddly enough, the way copyright law is written the comic books are not considered to be derivative works... they're merchandise. Harmony Gold can legally use the designs from the original Macross series in merchandise. They can't use them in derivative works (meaning new animation or live-action cinema), which is why they put everyone except plot-critical-Rick on a bus any redesigned him so you'd never know he and the one in the Macross Saga were the same guy unless you were told as much. ;)

Tiree wrote:What this does tell me is that there is a lot of hard feelings about things that were said on another message board with the creator of TSC.

What this tells me is that you don't understand, or perhaps just don't want to believe, what's being said to you. Unlike many here, I don't have anything personal against Tommy Yune... and as more than a few have noticed, I'm a staunch supporter of his rebooted continuity. The evidence, especially the court rulings, points to one primary reason for the deaths and disappearances of the Macross Saga cast... the fact that Harmony Gold can't legally use the original designs (as explicitly confirmed by Carl Macek himself) and a justified fear of reprisals from Macross's owners.

jaymz wrote:Actually as of PttSC the onyl character we HAVE seen is Rick and it's quite possible that he and Lisa will be dead when the SF-3 is found.

Nah, our boy Rick will still be alive... unless they've completely rewritten what they had when they started work on Shadow Rising. Lisa isn't mentioned, and everyone else is too dead or vanished to get involved. On the other hand... Ariel and Scott are supposed to bite the dust.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

josephddm wrote:Lisa Hayes-Hunter is not death,because we have her stats and picture in RT:TSC RPG Core Rule Book in the hardcover and Deluxe editions.
And Rick Hunter for me is no more "that" Rick Hunter.Is an old man redessigned very older than his wife which is older than him and looks 20 years younger than him.
Women age slowly...
Also all the Roids Rick did to become so muscle bound made him age quickly...
ESalter
Adventurer

Ugh, Breetai's Death

Unread post by ESalter »

Tiree wrote:Breetai's death was not lame and served a purpose.

I know this is a nitpick of a tangent of a digression, but I hated Breetai's death. The guy commanded the largest fleet in human history, but here he's fallen to scuffling with the Regent and talking like a Transformer. In Macross, Vrlitwhai became "commander" of the Spacy, but Breetai's actual personality and accomplishments have been eaten by the idea of him as a Proud Warrior Race Guy.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Seto Kaiba wrote:

jaymz wrote:Actually as of PttSC the onyl character we HAVE seen is Rick and it's quite possible that he and Lisa will be dead when the SF-3 is found.

Nah, our boy Rick will still be alive... unless they've completely rewritten what they had when they started work on Shadow Rising. Lisa isn't mentioned, and everyone else is too dead or vanished to get involved. On the other hand... Ariel and Scott are supposed to bite the dust.

You are assuming HG will actually put out Shadow Rising :lol:

\m/
Seto Kaiba
Knight

ESalter wrote:I know this is a nitpick of a tangent of a digression, but I hated Breetai's death. [...] In Macross, Vrlitwhai became "commander" of the Spacy, but Breetai's actual personality and accomplishments have been eaten by the idea of him as a Proud Warrior Race Guy.

Eh... not quite. He gets a lot of action in the DYRLverse titles, and personally oversees the training of some of the greatest aces of the age... plus there's a little fun to be had at his expense watching him try to cope with being called "Uncle Britai" by Komilia. The Macross Chronicle character sheets for him suggest that Ranka's manager might be a relative of his.

jaymz wrote:You are assuming HG will actually put out Shadow Rising :lol:

True, I am... but I figure one way or they other they'll eventually roll that turd out. It might take them a few more years to realize that the live action movie ain't happening, but when they do they'll scramble to finish it so the fans don't rage over it too badly.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Seto Kaiba wrote:

jaymz wrote:You are assuming HG will actually put out Shadow Rising :lol:

True, I am... but I figure one way or they other they'll eventually roll that turd out. It might take them a few more years to realize that the live action movie ain't happening, but when they do they'll scramble to finish it so the fans don't rage over it too badly.

Well fans like myself will Rage if it isn't at least half competently done UNLIKE my opinion of TSC which to me wasn't competently done.

\m/
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

wow can believe this this wow so much stuff over this WOW I know when this book comes out we are going to buy it can wait
KS look at this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Seto Kaiba
Knight

jaymz wrote:Well fans like myself will Rage if it isn't at least half competently done UNLIKE my opinion of TSC which to me wasn't competently done.

So... you're basically doomed to rage then? I mean, when has competence ever figured into the Robotech creative process?

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
jaymz wrote:Well fans like myself will Rage if it isn't at least half competently done UNLIKE my opinion of TSC which to me wasn't competently done.

So... you're basically doomed to rage then? I mean, when has competence ever figured into the Robotech creative process?

Good point..... :lol:

\m/
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

[/quote]Invid Invasion though was the destruction of Denver; they find an entire pre-Apocalypse city intact and with an endless supply of energy and resources that could do wonders for humanity and instead they blow it up to take out some Invid.[/quote]

Sooner or Later the Invid WOULD have hit the place if it was inhabited probably killing Thousands of people. Then there is the fact that the INVID already knew it was there. Remember that Corg survived it's destruction. Thus without the MILITARY hardware to protect such a find, it would have fallen anyway.
Nightmask
Palladin

FreelancerMar wrote:
Invid Invasion though was the destruction of Denver; they find an entire pre-Apocalypse city intact and with an endless supply of energy and resources that could do wonders for humanity and instead they blow it up to take out some Invid.[/quote]

Sooner or Later the Invid WOULD have hit the place if it was inhabited probably killing Thousands of people. Then there is the fact that the INVID already knew it was there. Remember that Corg survived it's destruction. Thus without the MILITARY hardware to protect such a find, it would have fallen anyway.[/quote]

I have to disagree with that, given from the start of the Invid Invasion series we see where they've left cities all over the place surprisingly intact and populated including New York City. There would have been no reason for them to return to destroy an empty city and even if there was a chance that they would it wasn't a certainty that they would unlike the very certain destruction the heroes brought about.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

josephddm wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
josephddm wrote:Lisa Hayes-Hunter is not death,because we have her stats and picture in RT:TSC RPG Core Rule Book in the hardcover and Deluxe editions.
And Rick Hunter for me is no more "that" Rick Hunter.Is an old man redessigned very older than his wife which is older than him and looks 20 years younger than him.
Women age slowly...
Also all the Roids Rick did to become so muscle bound made him age quickly...

Well,thay age slowly but untill today,were is said that women has the habiltity to reverse age and look younger when she is 12 years older :shock: ?(when they first met Rick was 17 and she was 29 if I remember properly).

no Lisa/Misa is not that much older than Rick/Hikaru. I believe the age difference is about 4 years or so.

\m/
Seto Kaiba
Knight

jaymz wrote:no Lisa/Misa is not that much older than Rick/Hikaru. I believe the age difference is about 4 years or so.

5 years, actually.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
jaymz wrote:no Lisa/Misa is not that much older than Rick/Hikaru. I believe the age difference is about 4 years or so.

5 years, actually.

in other words "or so" :P XD

\m/
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Lisa was born in 85, rick in 90... depends on when their birth dates are honestly... Lisa could only be 4 years older than rick for the majority of the year.
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

Let us put this into perspective.

Rick/Hickarou was 19 when he first Arived on Macross Island and did his thing in the AirShow.

Lisa/Misa Was 24 at this time and was already the SDF1's First Officer.

That is basically a 5 year age gap with Lise/Misa being Ricks Senior.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

FreelancerMar wrote:Rick/Hikaru was 19 when he first Arived on Macross Island and did his thing in the AirShow.

Please... PLEASE don't apply Robotech-isms to the original Macross, because it's odds-on you'll be wrong when you do. Hikaru was 16 at the start of The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and Misa was 19. Like many aspects of the series, the ages and origin stories of the original cast are different in Robotech.

On a related matter, one part of Robotech that's always been subtly creepy is that the relationship between Rick and Minmei isn't between two teenage kids... Rick is an adult who is pursuing a relationship with an underage girl. :ugh:

Nightmask
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:
FreelancerMar wrote:Rick/Hikaru was 19 when he first Arived on Macross Island and did his thing in the AirShow.

Please... PLEASE don't apply Robotech-isms to the original Macross, because it's odds-on you'll be wrong when you do. Hikaru was 16 at the start of The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and Misa was 19. Like many aspects of the series, the ages and origin stories of the original cast are different in Robotech.

On a related matter, one part of Robotech that's always been subtly creepy is that the relationship between Rick and Minmei isn't between two teenage kids... Rick is an adult who is pursuing a relationship with an underage girl. :ugh:

She's not that much younger than him, and up to that point when the anime came out the craze to demonize such relationships hadn't hit full swing unlike today when any teenage male is in danger the moment he turns 18 if his GF is a year or two younger than he is.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Seto Kaiba wrote:
um, the age of Consent in many US-states is 16. the Age where Females can be given permission to marry is anywhere from 13-16 in many states.
Also, its not uncommon for a High-school senior who is 19, to date a freshman/sophomore who is 16.
Also the Term Adult is Ambiguous. being: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult "In modern developed countries, puberty and therefore biological adulthood generally begins around 10 or 11 years of age for girls and 12 or 13 years of age for boys, though this will vary from person to person."
so Biologically Minmei is an Adult by the time she is on the SDF-1.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Nightmask wrote:She's not that much younger than him, and up to that point when the anime came out the craze to demonize such relationships hadn't hit full swing unlike today when any teenage male is in danger the moment he turns 18 if his GF is a year or two younger than he is.

But that's the thing... Robotech's creators editors clearly felt that there was something wrong with most of the cast's ages, and changed most of them to make most of the cast older and get the guys who join the military in extremis up to 18+... with a single exception: Minmei. Having a 19 year old man dating a girl who was 15 for a considerable part of their relationship at the start of the series would have been just as creepy and wrong (not to mention illegal) back then as it is today. It's why I've never understood how Minmei was the only one to escape having her age changed... but it's not quite as creepy and offensive as what Sentinels did to her. ;)

Seto Kaiba
Knight

josephddm wrote:Here in Spain the limit to get married is established in 14 years old for both if they count with the permission (in front of a Court and a judge) of the parents or legal tutors and 16 years old without the permission allways that is demonstrated that is not an arranged wedding.

Yes, I know... but remember that Robotech was edited to eliminate Japanese cultural context and impose American cultural values on the series. It's why every character ended up either American or as an amusing ethnic stereotype, why Lancer's dressing as a woman ends up being mistaken for something it's not, etc. A 15 year old girl would be off-limits to 19 year old men in all 50 states and Canada too.

josephddm wrote:Not to critisize you Seto,but which difference is true,5 years or 3?.

Both! Hikaru and Misa are three years apart (16 and 19 respectively) in Macross, but five years apart in Robotech.

josephddm wrote:Because Mr.Macek,maybe,wants to attract young girls into the series due to the effect of the original Minamei has on the japanese young girls wanting to be singers or because he has nothing to do about a girl that the only thing she cares about was singin' and is seen the most part of the series as a selfish character who plays and flirts with all the boys(she's the Queen Bee and we the Bees).

I doubt his intention was to attract young girls to the series... after all, he claimed (or at least he changed his earlier story to claim) that he deliberately made Minmei a lousy singer and a horrible person to prove some kind of nonsensical point about how even awful and talentless people can make a decent contribution sometimes.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Seto Kaiba wrote:But that's the thing... Robotech's creators editors clearly felt that there was something wrong with most of the cast's ages, and changed most of them to make most of the cast older and get the guys who join the military in extremis up to 18+... with a single exception: Minmei. Having a 19 year old man dating a girl who was 15 for a considerable part of their relationship at the start of the series would have been just as creepy and wrong (not to mention illegal) back then as it is today. It's why I've never understood how Minmei was the only one to escape having her age changed... but it's not quite as creepy and offensive as what Sentinels did to her. ;)

Creepy and Wrong is an Opinion, but Illegal? Rick was in the Military, if it was Illegal on the SDF-1, as soon as his relationship was reveled, he would have been arrested and placed in the brig.
Actually, the only thing that is Quasi-Illegal is intercourse, (IE Statutory-Rape). and Its unknown if that happened at all ever between the 2 of them. (and i doubt between Rick and Lisa for a LONG time.... as shes like 50 in Prelude when she's with child).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... onsent.png
A 15 year old girl would be off-limits to 19 year old men in all 50 states and Canada too.
Only to have sex with, Dating and Friendship are not something that I can find any laws about preventing.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”