NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crazy Lou
Hero

Re: NEW POWERS!

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:Suppose a character wanted to take Twenty Questions (second major version) and Magic 8-Ball both. Is this ok, since it's just giving them more questions to ask the object? It seems okay to me, but since you always are clear to specify that can't take the power again for more questions, would you still consider it okay to spend another power to increase the number of questions in that way? Same question goes for Question of the Hour (I think that's a really cool variant concept btw) and 20 Questions (original major version).

No, because I consider that to be too much. The questions are limited to avoid abuse.

I guessed you'd say that but wanted to be sure of your intentions. Thanks for the clarification and the cool powers!
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Sorry if this one's been done before...

Insert Insanity (Minor)
And people say I'm crazy...

With this power, the hero can literally give somebody an insanity that they did not previously have. Targets are allowed a saving throw vs. mind control (at a target of 15) to avoid the effects. Should a target fail, they will have to roll 1 time on the insanity table to determine the insanity they receive. The effects of the insanity last for d4 melee rounds per level of the hero.

Optionally, the hero can choose the specific insanity that the target receives. In this case, the target number for the saving throw is 10 due to the hero attempting to insert a specific insanity.

It may seem like giving someone an insanity is next to useless, but this is far from the case. The target immediately begins to act in accordance with the insanity, with behavior changing to reflect this. And yes, viriginia, this includes how they would act in combat. Furthermore, those insanities where withdrawal can strike are the worst to receive as the target immediately goes through full-blown withdrawal. This can be seriously delibitating in combat with the target getting penalties to just about every dice roll.

Keep in mind that the effects are only temporary, and that once the time limit is up the target reverts back to his or her normal self. Furthermore, only targets that do not have an insanity can be affected. If the target already has an insanity - either inserted or received otherwise - they cannot be targeted by this power. Range is line of sight to 100 feet.

A side effect of this power is that the hero himself (or herself, as the case may be) gets to roll 1 time on the insanity table for an insanity that they themselves have. This insanity cannot be cured except by divine intervention.

This power bestows the following benefits:

• +2 to MA
  • +2 to ME
  • +2 to Save vs. Mind Control
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Crazy Lou wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:Suppose a character wanted to take Twenty Questions (second major version) and Magic 8-Ball both. Is this ok, since it's just giving them more questions to ask the object? It seems okay to me, but since you always are clear to specify that can't take the power again for more questions, would you still consider it okay to spend another power to increase the number of questions in that way? Same question goes for Question of the Hour (I think that's a really cool variant concept btw) and 20 Questions (original major version).

No, because I consider that to be too much. The questions are limited to avoid abuse.

I guessed you'd say that but wanted to be sure of your intentions. Thanks for the clarification and the cool powers!

Usually when I write variants, it is an either/or situation where you have basically the same powers but they are manifested differently between characters so as to avoid having a bunch of characters with the same exact power. In the case of Twenty Questions, it is the major version of Magic 8-Ball, and I usually do not allow characters to have a major and minor version of the same power.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Crazy Lou
Hero

Ah, gotcha. Useful clarification to have as I've been going over the powers in the thread and pulling out the ones I like most. I'll make a note of that for all the variants from now on.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Zone(Major)
“You’re on MY homeground now, Destructo! There’s no WAY I’m going to lose to you HERE!”

Range: 50 ft radius+50 ft per level of experience
Effects:
This power allows the superbeing to designate a particular area as a place of power for them, by creating a ‘powerpoint’ at its center. Within this area(it cannot be a vehicle) the superbeing feels particularly comfortable and in control, his or her powers amplified as long as they remain within its boundaries. Inside the invisible perimeter described by this power, the superbeing enjoys enhanced capabilities; outside it his powers revert to normal values. The Zone is typically centered around a place of importance or sentimental value to the superbeing; his childhood home, his residence, headquarters, laboratory, family gravesite, etc. This power lends itself well to homebodies and people who prefer the security of having ties to a particular area.
Within the Zone, the superbeing has the following bonuses:
-Increase range and damage of powers by 25%
- +1d6 Initiative
- Fatigues at HALF the rate
-Automatic Dodge(or +1 to an existing Automatic Dodge)
- +10% save versus Coma/Death
-+3 save versus psionic attack, insanity, and Horror Factor
-The superbeing will be automatically alerted whenever another superbeing enters the Zone
The ‘powerpoint’ doesn’t have to be something obvious like a glowing ball or shaft of energy; it is typically something as innocuous as a coin, folded piece of paper with a few drops of the superbeing’s blood on it, a clipping of hair, a fingertail, or other personal object concealed(hidden or buried) at the center of the Zone. If another superbeing can sense or find the ‘powerpoint’, they can remove or destroy it(the actual object is unlikely to have more than a dozen SDC points), the Zone is lost.
Penalties:
If the superbeing loses their Zone, or has to move their Zone, they can start afresh elsewhere, but having lost their original Zone, they suffer the following penalties until they can re-establish a new Zone:
-Decrease range and damage of powers by 50%
- -1d4 Initiative
- Fatigues at DOUBLE normal rate
-HALF bonuses to Dodge and Parry
- -5% save versus Coma/Death
- -3 save versus psionic attack, insanity, and Horror Factor
-Generally feels listless and depressed
Even after establishing a new Zone, the superbeing will still suffer the above penalties for the the first 48 hours, after which he regains the normal values and bonuses for his powers. It will take a full WEEK for the Zone bonuses to come into play, as the superbeing grows up comfortable and confident with his new Zone.
Only one Zone can be established at a time.
Last edited by taalismn on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Crazy Lou
Hero

I really like that power taalismn! I'm definitely giving it to the next grouchy old NPC hermit I need. :D

taalismn
Priest

Crazy Lou wrote:I really like that power taalismn! I'm definitely giving it to the next grouchy old NPC hermit I need. :D

Thanks. I figure it's a good homebody power for people who don't like to move around much, settle down, establish roots. They may go out, go heroing/villaining, and give it their all, but deep down inside, their heart's in one spot, and when they get there, they don't expect to be bothered there. Trouble intrudes on their private place at its own risk.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

I am trying to work out a power called Tooth and Nail, whereby the character can bite into wood and have his teeth pull out and serve as nails. Is this unique enough or does it need to have more applications, such as spitting the teeth for projectile damage? Any opinions?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I am trying to work out a power called Tooth and Nail, whereby the character can bite into wood and have his teeth pull out and serve as nails. Is this unique enough or does it need to have more applications, such as spitting the teeth for projectile damage? Any opinions?

I think the spitting nails thing is cool, and that you should use it.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Severus Snape wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I am trying to work out a power called Tooth and Nail, whereby the character can bite into wood and have his teeth pull out and serve as nails. Is this unique enough or does it need to have more applications, such as spitting the teeth for projectile damage? Any opinions?

Seconded. I like the clever use of a cliche as inspiration for such a specific power.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Crazy Lou wrote:
Severus Snape wrote:

Seconded. I like the clever use of a cliche as inspiration for such a specific power.

Ok, cool. I will work on it and try to get something up fairly soon.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:
Severus Snape wrote:

Ok, cool. I will work on it and try to get something up fairly soon.

Hmmm...if you got teeth that serve as nails, do you also have eye-teeth that double as eyelet-screws?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Diamond skin [Minor]
'I'd feel better about this if they wern't using such big guns'

The character can crystalise his flesh, turning skin and muscle into defensive plating.
at the cost of 20 SDC, the character gains an AR of 8. Every 10 further SDC expended, raises the AR by one until it reaches 16 (100SDC total spent) as the character does this, he becomes covered in spiky growths of crystal.

at AR 8, the character's spiky growths add +2 to HTH damage
At AR 12 the growths inflict 2D4 damage as melee weapons (add the +2 damage from AR 8)
At AR 14 and above the growths inflict 2D6 damage, and 2D4 damage to anyone foolish enough to try to grapple, tackle or grab him.

The character can retract the growths, returning SDC to him if he needs it. The character takes half damage from lasers as long as he has some AR derived from this power.

Electric Assertion: [Major]
'Oh Gawd.....I can't control my hand! please somebody, anybody, I've got a gu.>BANG!<'

The character can force a target to perform actions by manipulating their body's electrical signals, forcing their bodies to perform deeds against their will, and increasing their body's store of bio-electricity

The target of this power must be within 60 feet and clearly visible to work. The character expends two actions. The target must make an immeadiate saving throw of 14+ (PE bonuses apply). If he succeeds, he takes 2D4 damage as electrical energy surges through him, but he is otherwise OK. If he fails, he Takes 3D6 damage, and performs a single action against his will.
The target regains control immeadiately, and loses no actions by complying. He may fight the character's commands by performing other acts (typically a dodge) to throw off the reflexive commands. This is resolved by rolling a parry or a dodge (depending on circumstance), contesting a D20 roll by the character, who gets to adds a bonus equal to his PE score as if it were his PP score. Add also a bonus of +1 for every three levels.
[EG: Sparkchilde forces a cop to gun down a civilian. The cop fails his saving throw and attempts to grab his own hand The cop has a parry bonus of +2, sparkchilde with a PE of 16 and being 5th level, also has a +2.]
Notes and other abilities: targets with resistance to energy (specifically to electricity) take the normal reduced damage, and gain a +4 to the saving throw and to any attempt to resist (adds to a parry or dodge). Outright energy immunity (electrical specifically) renders the target immune to this power.
+1D4 to PE and ME
+6D6 to SDC
Resistant to electricity (half damage)

Muscle drain: [Minor]
'The bigger they are, the harder I hit'

The character instantly drains energy and momentum out of a target upon impact. In combat, whenever the character is hit by an unarmed attack, or hits a target (not his armour) the target makes a saving throw (16+ PE bonus applies) or loses half of His PS score. The character gains this much PS upon the point of impact. the duration is a pittance, but it is enough to reduce the damage of incoming melee attacks, and to amplify his own strikes.

The power works through clothing, even heavy clothing, but metal gauntlets bypass it, as do ceramic ones. likewise, full body armour with an AR over 14 also blocks this power (though this is a thickness issue. Miracle fabrics, and bulletproof silk will not stop this power no matter how much AR they may provide) Of course force fields will stop this power, but invulnerability will not.

targets will also see their strength category reduced for the duration, which will dramatically alter the damage of targets with supernatural PS.

Prolonged contact will also see a disparity in strength. after one melee round, the strengths are exchanged as descibed above. if the character is not restrained fully after that time, he will surely have the power to escape a while later.

Clairvoyant senses [Minor]
'I tasted your arrival Clarke. You should not use that aftershave again'

The character can turn off his senses. sight, smell taste, touch and sound all vanish, leaving the character, for all intents and purposes insensate.
when he does so, he gains a kind of clairvoyant view of his surrounds, feeling, tasting, seeing and hearing all around him.
While in this state, the character cannot feel pain, or nausea. he cannot be blinded, deafened or disorientated by noise.
He has an area sense extending for 10 feet per level in all directions. he is acutely aware of all that goes on, able to extend his senses (any and all) to all points within his range. He can taste the coffee on the table in front of him, read the newspaper of the guy behind him, and listen to the phone conversation at the next table.
He has a +2 to initiative, and +2 to strike parry and dodge and is immune to suprise attacks originating from within his area of awareness, and he gains the ability to auto dodge. His resistance to pain is complete, and he can fight until dead, though injuries may prevent him from doing so. he enjoys a +8 to perception checks and a +20% to skills requiring a fine touch or keen perceptions.
He is completely insensitive to any effect outside his range though. He is unable to dodge attacks that come from outside his range. The senses are not suphuman in nature through. He cannot 'see' though walls, nor could he taste a sugar cube at the bottom of a cup of coffee. In darkness he would still be blind per se, but he can touch everything in range to know where things are (no penalties for combat, though he may need to identify his foes) Likewise in a room filled with smoke, he would be able to smell the smoke, but might not pay attention to the fact that that same smoke may be choking him.
The character's other superhuman senses function in this state as well, but only for the proscribed range.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Tooth and Nail (minor) by Stone Gargoyle

The character has razor sharp teeth which can be left in wood or similar surfaces to serve as nails. Said teeth regrow after one hour.

1. Puncturing Bite: The character bites into armor and Natural AR as if it were -2 to the AR. The teeth are nine inches long and give the character a bite which does 4d6 damage. A single tooth will do 1d6 damage.

2. Projectile Teeth: The teeth can be dislodged by the character and spit as an attack, using 2 melee attacks/actions to do so. The teeth can be spit up to 40 feet and do 1d6 damage each, with the character only able to spit a single tooth at a time.

3. Tooth Nails: The character's teeth are indestructible and can be removed and used as nails , or he can bite into objects and leave teeth behind to serve as nails.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Tooth and Nail (minor) by Stone Gargoyle

The character has razor sharp teeth which can be left in wood or similar surfaces to serve as nails. Said teeth regrow after one hour.

1. Puncturing Bite: The character bites into armor and Natural AR as if it were -2 to the AR. The teeth are nine inches long and give the character a bite which does 4d6 damage. A single tooth will do 1d6 damage.

2. Projectile Teeth: The teeth can be dislodged by the character and spit as an attack, using 2 melee attacks/actions to do so. The teeth can be spit up to 40 feet and do 1d6 damage each, with the character only able to spit a single tooth at a time.

3. Tooth Nails: The character's teeth are indestructible and can be removed and used as nails , or he can bite into objects and leave teeth behind to serve as nails.

I have this image of a supervillian with a tied up superhero, smacking him on the back of the head as he uses him like a stapler to help in fixing up the Cave of Villiany:
*SPATAK*CHUNK!* "Measure another foot..... *SPATAK*CHUNK!*....another... *SPATAK*CHUNK!*....Gotta admitt, this is going a lot faster with your help, man! I really appreciate it! *SPATAK*CHUNK!*....You do carpets, too?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Tooth and Nail (minor) by Stone Gargoyle

I have this image of a supervillian with a tied up superhero, smacking him on the back of the head as he uses him like a stapler to help in fixing up the Cave of Villiany:
*SPATAK*CHUNK!* "Measure another foot..... *SPATAK*CHUNK!*....another... *SPATAK*CHUNK!*....Gotta admitt, this is going a lot faster with your help, man! I really appreciate it! *SPATAK*CHUNK!*....You do carpets, too?"

Stupid villain. He should know that he should be measuring every 16" on center, not 12". He would know this if he watched the DIY Network!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
taalismn
Priest

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:[Stupid villain. He should know that he should be measuring every 16" on center, not 12". He would know this if he watched the DIY Network!

The television cabinet and entertainment center comes next. THEN he'll realize what he's done wrong and have to do it all over again.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Darkechilde wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Magic 8-Ball (minor) by Stone Gargoyle, with thanks to Papa Mambo

The character possesses the power to glean answers from an object by asking questions and getting a "yes" or "no" answer. The object may be anything the character owns (decided upon creation) and will only respond to the character himself. Since the power derives from the character himself, destruction of the object will cause him to get the power back once he assigns a new object as his focus. He can only use the object eight times per day.
Range: Touch; the character must be holding the object.
Duration: Instant
Uses and Limitations: Limited to eight times per day. Power cannot be taken twice to increase this number. The object answers the question as asked so a "no" answer might come about if even one word is off. The question must be spoken out loud.
Effect: The object speaks to the character only, so no one in range of the character will hear an answer.

Police Captain "so, your having trouble with this case?"
Detective "yup"
Captain "and, you called in a specialist?"
Detective "yup"
Captain "and this guy is the specialist?"
Detective "yup"
Captain "And, he is going to figure this out for you by talking to his hat?"
Detective "yup"

Be grateful it wasn't Mister Squeaky Toy that was the focus. That can lead to credibility issues.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Darkechilde wrote:
You should have a version of this power for specific environments. Like the Downtown area of major cities, or in sewers, or copses of trees, and places like those. But they would have to be specific areas. Nothing with too big a range, like the ocean, or plains. Or, they could be geographic areas, like specific seas, bays, forests, mountains... So, if a guys zone was the Black Hills of North Dakota, he wouldn't have any bonuses in any other mountains.

Specific locales can be taken care of by the mechanics of the power. But, yes, I'd consider a Major power that amplifies other powers and is tied to very specific environmental conditions, as opposed to simply taking a weakness for the opposite condition(i.e., lose a Major power choice to be boosted when in conditions of extreme cold and have normal powers elesewhere, or keep a Major slot open and take a Weakness/Vulnerability to Heat that applies anytime).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Darkechilde wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Magic 8-Ball (minor) by Stone Gargoyle, with thanks to Papa Mambo

The character possesses the power to glean answers from an object by asking questions and getting a "yes" or "no" answer. The object may be anything the character owns (decided upon creation) and will only respond to the character himself. Since the power derives from the character himself, destruction of the object will cause him to get the power back once he assigns a new object as his focus. He can only use the object eight times per day.
Range: Touch; the character must be holding the object.
Duration: Instant
Uses and Limitations: Limited to eight times per day. Power cannot be taken twice to increase this number. The object answers the question as asked so a "no" answer might come about if even one word is off. The question must be spoken out loud.
Effect: The object speaks to the character only, so no one in range of the character will hear an answer.

Police Captain "so, your having trouble with this case?"
Detective "yup"
Captain "and, you called in a specialist?"
Detective "yup"
Captain "and this guy is the specialist?"
Detective "yup"
Captain "And, he is going to figure this out for you by talking to his hat?"
Detective "yup"

Be grateful it wasn't Mister Squeaky Toy that was the focus. That can lead to credibility issues.

Dude, that whole set of powers has credibility issues.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Dude, that whole set of powers has credibility issues.

It's all in presentation...all in the presentation. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Darkechilde wrote:
So, if Mega Muscle Man hits a guy with this power, and he has a SN of 100, the guy with this power gains 50 PS, and Mega Muscle Man loses 50 PS, and now has Superhuman strength. This lasts for one melee? Or one attack?

Just for the moment of impact. MMM strikes the character. at point of impact his PS drops to 50. for that instant, the character gains that. The damage is calculated on MMM's new Strength of 50 superhuman.

Likewise, if the character (say, PS 15) strikes MMM, his strength jumps by 50 (65) for that single strike.

Does the guy with this power go up a notch in strength category to match the loss from his attacker?

His strength category does not shift.

And what is with the last paragraph? If they are grappling, it takes one melee round for this power to work, instead of the instant the attack happens? I don't understand the reference about the character being fully restrained, or else, either.

That is correct. the power relies on a very large drain for a very short time. Grappling a character with this power is an effective means of bypassing it. BUT!, the character will periodically have access to some of his grappler's enhanced strength, and after the first melee round, he can time his espcapes to when he is strong, and his opponent is weakened. By this point (one melee round) if the character has not been 'subdued' (Damaged into submission, restrained with handcuffs, or incapacitated by another power etc) then he has the general escape advantage.

And just to clarify, this power DOES happen BEFORE the intial attack, right? So Mega Muscle Man would figure up his damage based on having a superhuman strength of 50 for his initial attack, or does he do his normal damage?

Yes. The drain happens at point of impact (otherwise, with such a short duration, t would be pointless.) The attacker does damage based on his new score.

Cool powers, man!

Why thank you.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
Epically
Explorer

Unread post by Epically »

Not sure if it's been done, and I couldn't be bothered siphoring through 100+ pages.

Knowing
"Know it all!" "Why yes, yes I am."

Base %: 35% + 5% per level of experience.
Limitations:
  1. The charactor does not know the answer to questions regarding the future.
  2. The charactor can only be asked any one question once per day. If a roll is failed, the charactor canno't answer that same question for 24 hours.

When the player is asked a question, any question, if he/she passes his roll, he/she automatically knows the answer. This power is limited to the player's own imagination. Examples are;
"What is the combination to that safe?" "What is this person's weakness?" "Where is this person's base of operation?" "How do I perform neuro surgery?" "What was that girls name that I slept with last night?"
Severus Snape
Hero

This one came to me while I was in the airport on Sunday.

Control Baggage
My bags? Why, they're right here...

The character has the ability to control, manipulate, open, close, move, etc., any piece of luggage. This includes suitcases, backpacks, briefcases, duffle bags, and any other container used for storing or shipping luggage. While this may include boxes and shipping crates, it does not include things such as envelopes, cardboard tubes (like those used for architectural drawings), or anything smaller than a carry-on bage (such as a purse) or larger than one of those metal containers used to transport vehicles on boats.

Characters, as stated above, have the ability to move the baggage move on its own accord, walking or bouncing or shuffling from one place to the next. Range is line of sight to 500 feet.

Characters can also have the luggage open or close on command, which can be used as a way to frighten people or make people believe that the baggage is possessed. Range is line of sight to 500 feet, and has a base horror factor of 10. If this is used in conjunction with making the baggage move, the horror factor is 12. Note that the character cannot make the luggage pack itself unless the character has another power (such as fabric manipulation) that allows for this. Speed for movement is equal to the ME of the character for those items that roll, and 1/2 ME for those items that don't. Any applicable penalties or bonuses for terrain should also apply.

Characters cannot make the baggage fly through the air. Moving is only done on the ground, by whatever means is available. That is, if the baggage has wheels, it will roll. If it has no wheels, then it will slide/shuffle along the ground.

The power bestows no additional abilities to the player.
Last edited by Severus Snape on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Control Baggage
"This is how I control my ex-girlfriends!"
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Re: Control Baggage:

What is the movement rate along the ground for the baggage? Perhaps rolling at the character's ME attribute in feet per melee round, and half that for sliding?
I also see no justification for the Horror Factor of the power.
Severus Snape
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Re: Control Baggage:

What is the movement rate along the ground for the baggage? Perhaps rolling at the character's ME attribute in feet per melee round, and half that for sliding?

Good point on the movement thing. I'll update the power to include that. Good catch!

As far as the horror factor thing, I was thinking that if you are making the luggage open and close consistently, as well as potentially making it move at the same time, this would be akin to a poltergeist or other type of ghostly possession of an item. Normal people freak out when they see stuff like this, hence the HF.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Severus Snape wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Re: Control Baggage:

Good point on the movement thing. I'll update the power to include that. Good catch!

What makes or breaks a power in terms of playability are ultimately the details of the mechanics underlying the power.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Severus Snape wrote:This one came to me while I was in the airport on Sunday.

Control Baggage

Do we want to know what other ones; good, bad and dark; that came to mind while being around the airport? Does anyone else have any? Not just airport but any transport base ones.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

There have been some done like that in the past, but I have nothing like that currently in the works.

Misspell (Major) by Stone Gargoyle

The character with this power has a form of contagious dyslexia. It causes any books he touches to get misspelled and blocks the use of magic.

1. Misspell Touch: Any book being touched by the character will become misspelled, its pages being filled with errors as the character touches it. This effectively rewrites pages to become less legible. Affects an amount of paper equal to the character's ME attribute number in pounds is used to affect a stack of newspapers, etc., but will affect an entire book at one time. This effect is instant and permanent. The character may also target any book within 40 feet of him (line of sight) and cause it to misspell simply by looking at it, but this takes one full melee round, whereas touching a book will only use one melee attack/action. This will affect ALL books, even ones magically protected by spells to prevent tampering.

2. Misspelling Magic: The character is immune to the effects of magic, and any magic bolts or attacks will transmute into a harmless form (fire becoming flowers, etc.) when entering a radius of 40 feet around the character. Also, any spellcaster within this 40 foot radius will be unable to focus and therefore unable to cast magic, also.
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

abtex wrote:

Control Baggage

Do we want to know what other ones; good, bad and dark; that came to mind while being around the airport? Does anyone else have any? Not just airport but any transport base ones.

Traffic surfing. Carhop. Time flies. Hitch.

Details pending

Batts
taalismn
Priest

Iczer wrote:
abtex wrote:

Control Baggage

Details pending

Batts

Spacial Extension(major)---still working on it, but it essentially allows the superbeing to telescope a given volume of space, subjectively making it larger/longer than it really is...Great for making a sprint distance into a marathon run, adding runway length, or putting person JUST outside that energy bolt's effective range.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Severus Snape
Hero

Iczer wrote:
abtex wrote:

Control Baggage

Details pending

Batts

I've got a couple more thoughts based on the airport. Nothing written down yet, though.

Security Check - could be used to mess up security systems, or the character IS a security system
Boarding - I get this image of wood shop...
Taxi - Not sure, but I can probably come up with something
Crazy Lou
Hero

Darkechilde wrote:
Epically wrote:Not sure if it's been done, and I couldn't be bothered siphoring through 100+ pages.

Knowing
"Know it all!" "Why yes, yes I am."

Base %: 35% + 5% per level of experience.
Limitations:
  1. The charactor does not know the answer to questions regarding the future.
  2. The charactor can only be asked any one question once per day. If a roll is failed, the charactor canno't answer that same question for 24 hours.

When the player is asked a question, any question, if he/she passes his roll, he/she automatically knows the answer. This power is limited to the player's own imagination. Examples are;
"What is the combination to that safe?" "What is this person's weakness?" "Where is this person's base of operation?" "How do I perform neuro surgery?" "What was that girls name that I slept with last night?"

What is this heroes real name? What are the access codes to the U.S.'s nuclear arsenal? Just a few reasons why this power is way OP for my games. Cool power, but the application is scary, to say the least.

That was exactly what I was thinking. I'm satisfied with the eight-ball/20 questions powers farther above. And even those have plenty of potential for abuse, especially the open questions that don't require the answer to be only yes/no.

Crazy Lou
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Misspell (Major) by Stone Gargoyle

The character with this power has a form of contagious dyslexia. It causes any books he touches to get misspelled and blocks the use of magic.

1. Misspell Touch: Any book being touched by the character will become misspelled, its pages being filled with errors as the character touches it. This effectively rewrites pages to become less legible. Affects an amount of paper equal to the character's ME attribute number in pounds is used to affect a stack of newspapers, etc., but will affect an entire book at one time. This effect is instant and permanent. The character may also target any book within 40 feet of him (line of sight) and cause it to misspell simply by looking at it, but this takes one full melee round, whereas touching a book will only use one melee attack/action. This will affect ALL books, even ones magically protected by spells to prevent tampering.

2. Misspelling Magic: The character is immune to the effects of magic, and any magic bolts or attacks will transmute into a harmless form (fire becoming flowers, etc.) when entering a radius of 40 feet around the character. Also, any spellcaster within this 40 foot radius will be unable to focus and therefore unable to cast magic, also.

I really love this power. The first power has plenty of potential for amusement, mischief, and worse, plus it's really different. And the second half of the power is just the kind of power for which I've looked for an anti-magic power/character.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Crazy Lou wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Misspell (Major) by Stone Gargoyle

I really love this power. The first power has plenty of potential for amusement, mischief, and worse, plus it's really different. And the second half of the power is just the kind of power for which I've looked for an anti-magic power/character.

Glad you liked it.
taalismn
Priest

Darkechilde wrote:Here is one that just came to me while reading another post about an organization based on "holy warriors", and the powers they would have.

In Harms Way (Minor) by Darkechilde
"No, you will NOT harm an innocent, fiend!"

Nice power....I can see a modification of this; 'Designated Hittee', which allows the superbeing to fix their power on a single person...for the duration of the application of this power(say, 1 hour per level of experience), any (obvious) life-threatening situation to the target of the power causes the superbeing to be swapped into the place of the endangered person.
If set up as a major power, I'd also give the Designated Hitte an SDC bonus for each level of experience.
Great power for a bodyguard, unless you're bonded to a total klutz, suicidal depressive, or just an adrenaline junkie idiot with delusions of invincibility("Hey, watch this! I'm actually in the bullfighting ring! Come on, Ugly!" "Sir! Get out of there! He's-*SWAP* damn...that thing IS uGGLARGH!*")
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Crazy Lou
Hero

A major version of that power would be cool too. Another version of it might be something like you're swapped with anyone not hostile to you within a radius? Or you could designate several people at once, as long as you're in a radius. It'd be very tough to survive a serious assault, but it would be a really cool power for a super-bodyguard.

taalismn
Priest

Crazy Lou wrote:A major version of that power would be cool too. Another version of it might be something like you're swapped with anyone not hostile to you within a radius? Or you could designate several people at once, as long as you're in a radius. It'd be very tough to survive a serious assault, but it would be a really cool power for a super-bodyguard.

"Took a board to the shoulder for Mister Reynolds, went down a flight of stairs for old Mrs. Greely, skinned my knee in the street and rolled out of th way of a semi for little Cindy, then skied into a tree for Alice...that last one HURT."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Crazy Lou
Hero

Haha, YES! Exactly what I was thinking.

Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Masochism: [Minor]
'Oh yeah...that ht the spot'

The character gets stronger when hurt or injured. When down to half his normal SDC total, he gains a bonus of +4 to PS and +10 to Spd. at this point the character cannot become fatigued
When down to zero SDC he gains an AR of 12 and a further +4 to PS and +10 to Spd
When on half HP or less his natural AR shoots to 14 and he gains a further +4 to PS
When down to his last 10 HP, he gains a sudden burst of 30 bonus SDC and begins healing 1D4 HP per melee round until he reaches 10 or higher HP.
The character can continue working and acting up to negative his PE score. during this time he has half his attacks and combat bonuses. He does not die until reaching a point below zero equal to double his PE score.

Diminish other: [Major]
'Here's a weight loss tip....keep messing with me'

The character can tuck an object's mass away, making it smaller and frailer.
The character must spend 2 attacks to perform this, and must be designating a target within 60 feet, the target cannot be more massive than 200lbs per level of experience, and no larger than 12 feet (on any side)

The target may make a saving throw if living, and requires a 16 or better and may add his appropriate PE modifiers to do so. If he fails, then he suffers the reduction as outlined below.

A diminished target suffers a reduction of 20% to his normal dimensions, and a weight loss of 50%. He suffers a reduction to his SDC and HP (current and total) of 50%, and loses 3 points of AR as well as finding all damage he inflicts reduced by 50% (Energy attacks are reduced only by 20%) creatures reduced in this manner will find their effective lifting and carrying capacities reduced by half as well

The target remains reduced for 2D4 melee rounds (Plus 1D4 more at levels 3,6,9,12 and 15). a reduced target may not be further reduced, but may have his duration extended.

A target consists of a whole object. this power does not affect secured parts of objects or only chunkc of a target. a door could not be reduced (it is securely fitted to the wall) nor could a section of wall or a target's head be selectively reduced. a held object could be reduced and worn armour could (Inflicting damage to itself and the wearer by 1D4 per level, plus one point per point of AR it posessed) clothing would just tear apart and be uncomfortable. (-2 to initiative and -10% to skill performance if squeezed into tight armour or clothing).

Entropic armour: [Minor]
'Yeah..break out the big guns. Like that's going to work'

The character generates a field that disturbs incoming projectiles and attacks.
High speed projectiles, such as bullets, inflict half damage and suffer a -8 to strike the character. Lower speed projectiles suffer a -4 to hit and inflict only 75% damage. thrown weapons suffer a -2 to strike and inflict normal damage. leap attacks, high speed rams and very heavy objects (thrown automobiles, falling boulders etc) are treated as thrown weapons.

The character has +4 to roll with ranged and blunt attacks, and +2 to dodge them.

Energy weapons see their damage halved when passing through the field.

Nightmare summoning: [Major]
'Yeah..I'm going to turn your own weakness against you'

The character can utilize a target's ambient psychic energy to create a drone or figment that obey's his (general) commands. the target must be clearly visible and within 80 feet to de this, and doing so requires the use of 2 actions. The target makes a saving throw of (16+ ME bonuses apply). if he succeeds, then the target feels a little lethargy, but is otherwise unnafected. If he fails, then he the figment spawns.

The figment has the following statistics:
Natural AR of 10, and an SDC of 10 per level of both the character and the target.
No HP. Despite appearances, it is not alive.
PS equal to the target's ME, +1 per level of both the character and the target. PP equal to the MA of either the target or the character.
Speed is equal to the sum of the character's and target's ME scores.
has 2 attacks per melee, but can be loaned attacks by the character (as in on the character's action, he may use the body of the created figment).

In addition to the above, the figment has a HF of 8 (14 to the 'donor' as it is from his own fears and nightmares) and has +3 to strike/parry and dodge the donor and may perform an auto dodge (at +3) vs the donor's attacks. The creature inflicts 2D4 damage with it's natural attacks, but a further +6 vs the donor.

People do not posess enough psychic energy to generate more than one figment per day. a figment lasts for up to 20 minutes (plus 5 minutes per level) before fading. keeping a figment in place requires that the character expend one action per round in concentration. the character can maintain one figment, plus one more at levels 3,6,9, and 12.

The character can also wear a figment like a suit. this acts as a type of power armour. The character can use something from his own nightmares when doing it this way. The suit has double it's normal SDC bonus (provided only by the character) and while piloting this suit he may use his MA score in place of his PP score if it is higher.

The character can create 'friendly' figments, ones from the target's psyche that do not embody their darkest nightmares. these figments have no special bonuses when battling their donor.

Targets with bonuses to save vs fear (aside from thise provided by their ME attributes) may use those bonuses as a damage bonus vs thier fears. if a target is immune to fear, then his figment has no special bonuses against him.

Other bonuses: +1D4 ME and MA

Energy Avatar:[Major]
'I AM'

The character can slip into a coma like state and form a shield over himself. this shield provides protection, transportation and power.
1) duration: the energy sphere lasts for as long as the character requires, or until broken. It takes a full melee round to create and start using the characters extra powers.
2) Shield SDC: the energy shield has an SDC of 80 plus 20 per level and an AR of 14. energy attacks inflict half damage when they strike. the shield is a sphere some 6 feet across. the shield protects the character from being touched, or seen, as well as from gasses and poisons.
3) senses: the character inside the sphere can see in all directions for 50 feet, and can see both heat and electromagnetic energy. he can hear within his normal capacity, but cannot use his normal senses.
4) Movement: the sphere floats at a Speed equal to his PE score times 5. this can be any direction including straight up with an upper ceiling of 15,000 feet
5) combat: The sphere has 4 attacks per melee (regardles sof how many the character has). It can neither parry (no limbs) and it dodges at -4 (it's fairly large). It can let loose streamers of energy as attacks, inflicting 1,2,3,4,5 or 6D6 damage (Bio-energy) with a bonus of +2 per level. It can split this into multiple attacks (3 2D6 bolts or a 5D6 and a 1D6 blast for instance) where each blast gains the +2 damage bonus per level. These attacks have +4 to strike and have a range of 200 feet. Touching its surface will inflict 3D6 damage unless properly shielded (a weapon for instance). In addition, it can maintain a disruptive field around itself for 30 feet by expending 2 actions per round. anyone in this field must make a saving throw vs stun (14+ PE bonuses apply) or have halved attacks and combat bonuses (and speed) for the round. the field also will wipe most electronic data and destroy unshielded electronic equipment. the Sphere can also be used to Ram targets (+4 to strike 2actions required. if the target does not dodge he takes the 3D6 damage, + half the character's PE score and may be knocked down (if the damage is higher than the target's PS then he is knocked down and loses 2 actions as well as initiative)
6) drawbacks. the sphere can communicate with difficulty. It cannot pick up items (no manipulators) nor can it navigate spaces smaller than itself. If the sphere is destroyed it is gone for 1D4 hours. Lost SDC can only be regenerated at a rate of 3D6 per hour, but only when the sphere is 'down'. lastly, the character has access to no other powers while 'comatose' inside the sphere, execpt those that work internally (heightened ME or IQ for instance)

Loan speed: [Minor]
'Hey guys..enjoy the gift'

The character can lend out his own Speed attribute to others, heightening their reflexes and mobility.
The character loans 20 of his Spd to a target. this boost takes a single action, and requires that he strike his target with a blast of his own 'speed energy' (+4 to strike 30 foot range +20 feet per level)
The recipient gains an extra attack per melee and a +2 to initiative and dodge scores when he recieves this speed boost.
The character can reclaim his lost Spd at any time. otherwise his gifts last 5 minutes per level. a target can gain extra Spd but the combat bonuses apply the once.

As a more offensive measure, the character can 'gift' a target more maliciously, suddenly speeding them up and dropping them down again can cause havoc on their cardivascular system. used this way the blast inflicts 2D4 damage and the target must make a saving throw (16+ PE bonuses apply) or lose an action and a further 3D6 damage from the shock of sudden and unwanted accelleration and decelleration. the character can also gift held projectiles (Thrown or fired). the attack inflicts an extra D6 damage and has double normal range.

At third level, the character can attempt to bleed off unwanted speed (mostly to the environment) in the case of a fall or unwanted collision. this adds +6 to the appropriate roll with punch/fall/impact and damage becomes halved (Quartered if successful)

PPE control: [Major]
'You have potential my boy. you should use it'

The character can modfy and utilise PPE in his surroundings and in others.
1) Magic resistance. the character has +4 to saving throws vs magic and effects that target him are halved. Effects that target him alone cost 50% more PPE to use. Furthermore, he may draw away the PPE of a target (both parties roll D20. the character adds his PE while the target adds his ME. if the character wins, the target loses 2D6 PPE, plus 1D6 per level)
2) Evoke potential: The character can cause a target's PPE to become more focused. Living beings often posess a higher PPE score when young, representing their untapped potential. The character can force that potential to manifest in ways of his own liking. Evoking potential requires a minute of concentration per PPE point to be moved, and a target must be left with 2 PPE.
1 PPE can be used to add +5% to a single skill
2 PPE can add a +1D4 to PS, PB or Spd or +1 to PP or PE
1 PPE can add +1 to IQ, ME or MA
3 PPE can generate 2D6 extra SDC or 2D4 HP
5 PPE can add a level to a target's effective HTH skill or 2 levels to a WP.
6 PPE can turn a target into a mutant or experiment (3 minor powers or one major. random)

The changes take 2D4 days per PPE point to take effect. A target affected once becomes immune to this ability thereafter (his potential has been 'spent') it requires twice as much PPE to affect most non humans (mutant's experiment's, aliens,) and characters with artificially bloated PPE scores (Most spellcasters) are immune.

3) warp nature: The character can use ambient PPE in the environment as weapons and shields. He can generate 2 blasts per melee round which inflict 4D6 damage with +3 to strike and can generate a shield with an SDC equal to his PE plus his ME (Regenerates 2D6 per melee round). In 'dead environments' (GM's call as to exactly what areas have lower PPE than normal) the damage and shield strength is halved and only one bolt may be produced per round. In High PPE environments (Once again..GM call but where there is rich, abundant life there should be more to call upon) the character adds +2D6 to his blasts (and can perform 4 per melee round) and the shield strength is doubled. It takes an action to set up and maintain the shields (which can be a force field around the character or a wall 10 feet long and high +2 feet per level) and an action to use any of the bolts. The presence of magical creatures, ongoing magical effects or a powerful spellcaster should alway be considered 'magic rich'
4) Live on PPE: In PPE rich environments (GM call) the character is unaging, and requires a mere four hours of sleep per night and needs neither food nor water, and a quarter as much air and heals 2D6 SDC per hour.

Batts
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I especially like Energy Avatar and PPE Control, but all the powers in this set are awesome.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

VR Dragon wrote:Okay recall reading around here someplace about people asking for powers to be made. So I figured I could give it a try. So if those of you who want to wait for something official to come along in anther book or some such, then lets lay a foundation for them. So if you would all be so kind as to post what you would like to see added to the line up just post it. Please also any info you could provide about what the ability should have.

I am glad for PU and PU2, now with some creative work we might just get the PU 3.

I look forward to your ideas.

There was a cool Super Power/Ability printed in one of the first Rifters that allowed you to draw a creature and 'spend' a Drawing Point (I would have changed that one) and suddenly the drawing comes to life!
taalismn
Priest

Machismo... :D :D :D :ok:
"Com'on, hit me! You only make me more MANLY!!! Hit me harder! These aren't tears of pain, they're MANLY TEARS!!!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Quadraped(Minor)
“You may think of going to all fours as a step back, but I think of it as four steps forward!”

Range: Self
Effects:
This power allows the superbeing to drop to all fours and run effortlessly. Being lower to the ground, the superbeing is more stable and less vulnerable to being knocked off his feet.
Of course, the superbeing cannot be holding anything in his forelimbs/hands(must put them down, carry them in a bag, or in his mouth).
Note also that the superbeing’s spine and neck will re-orient allowing them to look forward from their lower, horizontal position without pain or neck strain.

*Increased Speed---The four-legged superbeing can now run at his normal bipedal running speed x4

*Increased Leaping Distance---Increase the superbeing’s normal distance on a RUNNING leap by 20%.

Other Bonuses:
+1d6 to P.E.
+4 to roll with fall, kick, or impact
+4 to maintain balance(lower center of gravity)

Matter Expulsion: Chain(Major)
“Feel the embrace of Mistress Misa’s love, linking you to her! Hear the clink of her chains of love as they wrap around you, and know that no stronger bond has ever been forged by mere mortal hands!”

Range: 50 ft +20 ft per level of experience
If fired as bolo-like projectiles, they have a range of 80 ft +20 ft per level of experience
Duration: Detached from the superbeing, chains last 1 hour per level of experience
Effects:
The Superbeing can produce and project lengths of superhard metal chain from his or her limbs. These chains can be manipulated to act like tentacular extensions of the superbeing’s limbs, fired like entangling projectiles, or separated to use to bind objects/people. The chains can be used like whips, and can wrap around objects, but are not agile enough to do fine manipulation. Chains are conductive and can be used to carry an electrical current (either way!) unless otherwise specified at the time this power is taken.

*Single (Heavy) Chain---The superbeing can generate a single thick chain (50 ft +20 ft per level of experience in length, and weighs in at 5 lbs per 20 ft of length) The chain is also +1 to entangle and has 400 points of damage, + 10 per level of experience. At levels 3, 6, 9, and 12, the superbeing can generate an additional Heavy Chain (can be extended from the limbs, or shoulders, or even mouth).

*Multiple (Light) Chains----The superbeing can produce multiple shorter lengths of chain from their fingers(up to 5 per hand) that are thinner and not as strong, but have a better chance of entangling(Range: 15 ft +5 ft per level of experience, weigh 1 lb per 5 ft of length, +4 entangle, and have 50 points of damage each, +5 per level of experience)

*Chain Flail---Used as a flail or whip weapon, a light chain does 1d4 pts of damage, + any P.S. bonus, a heavy chain does 3d6 + P.S. bonus damage.

*Handcuff----If so desired, the superbeing can generate a handcuff/shackle or pair of such on the ends, that can snap shut on hitting a target. +2 to entangle, and the cuff itself has 100 +5 pts per level of experience of damage.

*Chain Swing---if there’s enough overhead, the superbeing can use their chains to swing from point to point at a speed roughly equivalent to the superbeing's P.P. x3.

*Chain Armor---By wrapping lengths of chain around a limb or the torso, the superbeing can acquire some measure of protection; not as much as properly fitted armor, but it does add some stopping power. Use the SDC/MDC of the chain for its protective value(and multiple chains can be used), and the chain wrap has an Armor Rating of 10. Wrapping also will cause some loss of agility: -1 to strike and parry if the arms are wrapped, -1 to strike, parry, roll, and -1d6 to speed if the torso/legs are wrapped, plus any encumberance from weight. Also, wrapping chain around an arm will add +1 to damage from a punch.

*Automatically gets W.P. Chain

*Other Bonuses: Tossed/Thrown Chains are +1 to entangle

Rate of Fire: The superbeing can generate as many chains as he has Actions Per Melee, and shoot/project them, but can only wield as many connected to themselves as listed above under each respective chain type; five Light Chains per hand, or a single Heavy Chain, +1 at levels 3, 6, 9, and 12

Save: Dodge!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Matter Expulsion: Chain is pretty awesome. Well done.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Matter Expulsion: Chain is pretty awesome. Well done.

Thanks. I'm rather surprised it hadn't been done before. :-?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Darkechilde wrote:Hmmm... so, above, there is a guy that can move at Mach 4 on all fours. Thats great. However, there is a bit of a problem with all that. How does anyone have the reaction time to deal with moving that fast? And are they somehow immune to the friction of the air and what not? Wouldn't hitting a bug at Mach 4 do some pretty serious damage? I have hit a June Bug while racing on a bicycle, and that left a bruise.

I figure in Sonic Running, friction protection and enhanced reaction time is part of the package. And as for hitting things at uber-high speed? I'd use the same rules as for Sonic Running. But yes, a trip or fumbled roll while blitzing like this would SERIOUSLY suck...you could tumble across entire COUNTIES and, depending on the local topography, do a Wiley E. Coyote.
A GM could have fun with that sort of blunder. :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Okay...this is so experimental it's giving me headaches....please look over and see if what glaring holes of illogic may exist in it? :?

Spacial Extensions(Major)
“Aw man! It’s been like we’ve been walking down this airport hallway for MILES!!!”

Range: 100 ft +20 ft per level of experience. The volume duplicated as an Extension is 40 cubic feet per level of experience. The superbeing can create as many Extensions per melee as he has actions/attacks per melee.

Duration: Lasts 2 minutes per level of experience for crowded environs like a city street, 5 minutes per level of experience for simple hallways, trails, roadway.

Effect:
This power is a combination of illusion and space/time mamipulation. It allows the superbeing to designate a volume of space and matter and ‘clone’ it, then add the duplicated volume onto the end of the base volume, but slightly out of phase with regular space/time. If so desired, this can be done multiple times, to create a ‘tunnel’. The effect is that of an open-ended dimensional pocket, though another example is of a conveyor belt made of roller-logs, which is extended by taking up rollers that have passed under the moved object, and running them back to the front again.

To anybody caught in the volume of cloned space/time, they perceive it as if they were moving much farther than they really are; as if the path they are walking has suddenly somehow become longer. A sharp perception may notice, depending on how many cloned extensions are created, that they are passing the same landmarks by the side of their course, or by 'blurring' of objects along the direction of the Extension(this is easy in detail-crowded settings like a city street, but less obvious in open desert or a concrete tunnel with fairly uniform sides) . If they perceive this, they may be able to escape the Extension by reversing course or moving perpendicular to the direction of the Extension(though, if the creating superbeing is vigilant, they can quickly create new Extensions oriented in the new direction of the targets’ travel). It is also possible to ‘outrun’ a Spacial Extension, reaching its far end and pass through it before it can be extended.

Energy weapons and projectiles can easily penetrate the sides of an Extension, unless the size of the Extension exceeds the range of the attack. It is entirely possible, if the superbeing is fast enough in constantly creating new Extensions, and the Extensions he generates long enough, for him to trap bullets, missiles, and energy blasts in mid-flight, until they drop, run out of fuel, or dissipate.
(Example: Atomizer is standing 200 ft away from first-level Paradox when the former launches his Nuke Blast attack ---range of 300 ft---at the latter. Paradox has enough warning and dumps all his APMs for that melee into generating a series of four forty-foot Spacial Extensions ahead of the Blast. The Blast travels 160 feet inside the Extensions and fetches up 60 ft short of incinerating Paradox, who has thus managed to remain just out range. If Atomizer had a SECOND attack, like a rocket launcher with a range of 4,000 ft, Paradox, unable to create enough Extensions fast enough, would be in trouble!).

When the Spacial Extension’s duration runs out, or is canceled, those within it will find themselves right back where they started, regardless of now far or long they may have traveled in the Extension.

To outside observers, those in the Spacial Extension seem to be running/moving in place. Anybody entering the same volume of Spacial Extension will appear to enter, then join those already inside in ‘running in place’, though those already inside will perceive tha newcomers to appear behind them the same distance as they themselves have alreadytravelled in the Extension. Thus, it is not possible for a Spacial Extension to be ‘stuffed’ with more real material/persons than the original source volume can hold. This also holds true for attacks fired at people in the Extension; the attacks, even those coming in from the sides, will be treated with regards to accuracy as if those in the Extension are where they have ‘moved’.
(Example: Paradox has trapped a fleeing bandit in a series of Spacial Extensions. Paradox’s bloodthirsty vigilante partner FJ-Final Judgement- decides to kill the robber by shooting him as he is apparently running in place. FJ takes aim with his rifle and fires a burst. HOWEVER, the fleeing bandit has already run fifty feet down what he thinks is merely a very long alley. FJ’s gun fire passes harmlessly fifty feet behind him).

The volume of space/time/matter duplicated is typically as uncluttered as possible; a stretch of open road, a length of hallway, a stretch of trail, in part to reduce the amount of effort needed to duplicate it, and to better maintain the illusion. The matter duplicated in the Spacial Extension cannot be picked up and used; for instance, if the source volume of space contains water or food, weapons, or vehicles, these items, even if duplicated in the Extension, cannot be picked up, used, drunk, eaten, etc. Spot analysis will show them to be inert ‘phantom’ matter. When the Extension is canceled, the material will vanish into thin air.
Animals and people CANNOT be duplicated as part of a Spacial Extension, though plant life like trees and grass CAN.

Note: Magic and Psionics are UNAFFECTED by Spacial Extension. In either direction, magic and psionic attacks will act as if the caster, be they in or outside the Extension, was standing still with regards to range and accuracy.
Last edited by taalismn on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Darkechilde wrote:
taalismn wrote:Quadraped(Minor)
“You may think of going to all fours as a step back, but I think of it as four steps forward!”

So, add in Sonic Speed and... yeah. Thats really freaking fast.

Can we add to Roller skates, an oil slick and film crew to Sonic Speed as well? :D
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”