NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: NEW POWERS!

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I am not sure I understand Spacial Extensions, and reading it was making my head hurt. It creates the semblance of a tunnel in sidereal space or something?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I am not sure I understand Spacial Extensions, and reading it was making my head hurt. It creates the semblance of a tunnel in sidereal space or something?

Yep....exactly...I should break up the Wall of Text, no?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I am not sure I understand Spacial Extensions, and reading it was making my head hurt. It creates the semblance of a tunnel in sidereal space or something?

I think that would help a great deal in terms of readability.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Better? Now we only have the mechanics to worry about.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

RGG wrote:This is a bit off topic - But since alot of people are viewing this thread I'd like to give a
Here is a free toy...

Here it is!

It is by no means perfect - I'm not a professional editor by any stretch. I would say 80% of all typo issues are resolved in this final version.

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/rifte ... r/12107498

Features....

Palladium books links... If you see the word Palladium- It will link back to the Palladium Books site in most cases. This makes the document a little more interactive.

A basic Book Mark structure is offered for a quick jumping to a section. Since Adobe reader offers page views on a side panel it is easy to move through pages with that.

Characters submitted are kept as close to the original as the submitter intended. So I left a few inconsistencies in place to keep the flavor of the creators character.

Finally Some of my art and design - Which might not be such a great feature - Heck it is free. This inclusion is a bit more work then I thought it would be.

Limitations....
There are some Errors in spelling that I may have missed.

FYI for those who just try to click on the link: you'll need to copy/paste the first part and the second part that's separated by the ellipsis. Just a heads up to avoid the momentary confusion I experienced.

Also, I'd like to say that I think he did a great job with this.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Better? Now we only have the mechanics to worry about.

Yeah, it is reading much better. Where do you feel the mechanics are weak?
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Yeah, it is reading much better. Where do you feel the mechanics are weak?

Interaction with outside forces like people stepping into it. I wasn't sure if I'd left gaping holes in the illogic or not.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Transmission (Major)

"Hear me, citizens of New Utopia!"

A quasi-psionic ability that allows the hero to broadcast his aura, transmitting his image over great distances to deliver messages and proclamations.

1. Whisper. A means of subtle communication, Whisper allows the super being to transmit his voice to a specific location or person, as well as hear what is happening there through a kind of clairaudience. The character can choose to make his voice audible to either a single individual or everyone in the vicinity.

At every third level of experience (three, six, nine, etc) the hero learns to transmit the Whisper to one more location or person simultaneously; at level three, he can transmit to two targets at once, three targets at level six and so on. Note that the hero can still only transmit to areas within his maximum range (see below).

Chances for a successful transmission: There is a chance that the character may accidentally direct the power to an unwanted destination, depending on his familiarity with the target.

When transmitting to a familiar location/person or a target that is clearly visible from the hero’s position, there is no chance of missing.
When transmitting to a place/person that he has seen/met only a few times: 88%
When transmitting to a place/person seen/met only once: 60% + 1% per level of experience.
When transmitting to a place/person never seen/met, but described in detail: 40%
When transmitting to a totally unfamiliar place/person: 15%

If the super being does send his broadcast to the wrong destination, he will instinctively realise this and may try again, but there is a cumulative penalty of -10% for every additional attempt, e.g. a second attempt suffers a penalty of -10%, a third attempt means a penalty of -20% and so on. Multiple failed attempts may make further tries impossible, indicating that the super being is simply not familiar enough with the target to reach it and must visit/meet it again before further transmissions can be attempted.

Range: 5 miles (3.2 km) + 5 miles (3.2 km) per level of experience.

Duration: Indefinite - as long as the hero concentrates.

Attacks Per Melee: Activating the ability uses up one attack/action. Maintaining it requires total concentration, preventing the use of any other attacks or actions for as long as the power is in use.

Limitations: This power cannot be used in conjunction with a Mind Block or the power of Alter Aura; the character must drop his psychic defences and open his mind fully in order to transmit his aura.

Beings with the ability to see auras will be able to perceive the character’s presence even if they were not the intended target of the transmission and can read the hero’s aura as if he was physically present.

2. Proclamation. A step-up from Whisper, the character can project a image of himself to a given location or person and interact with those present as easily as if he was in the room; through his projection, the super being can see and hear as he normally would. Unlike the Whisper sub-ability, everyone present will be able to perceive the hero’s image.

The super being can choose to make his projection semi-transparent/colourless (i.e. obviously a projection) or completely convincing, potentially fooling people into believing he is genuinely there.

At every third level of experience (three, six, nine, etc) the hero learns to broadcast to one more location or person simultaneously; at level three, he can transmit to two targets at once, three targets at level six and so on. Note that the hero can still only transmit to areas within his maximum range (see below).

Chances for a successful transmission: The same as for the Whisper sub-ability, detailed above.

Attacks Per Melee: Activating the ability uses up one attack/action. Maintaining it requires total concentration, preventing the use of any other attacks or actions for as long as the power is in use.

Limitations: This ability cannot be used in conjunction with a Mind Block or the power of Alter Aura; the character must drop his psychic defences and open his mind fully in order to transmit his aura.

Beings with the ability to see auras will be able to read the hero’s aura as if he was physically present, and because of this can not be fooled into thinking a projection is the real super being.

3. Broadcast. This aspect of the ability allows the super being to project a giant-sized version of his image into the open air, to address and intimidate mass audiences. The image can be between 20 feet (6 m) to 100 feet high (30.5 m) and can display the hero’s entire body or just his head, whichever the character chooses. It can be made to appear anywhere between 50 feet (15 m) to 500 feet (152 m) above the ground.

As with the sub-ability of Proclamation, the hero can see and hear through his projection, but the range of his sight and hearing is doubled. When the super being speaks through the Broadcast, his voice is automatically amplified, up to about 90 decibels - not quite deafening, but certainly loud enough to guarantee the attention of the masses.

Additionally, the super being gradually learns how to add special effects to his Broadcast. At experience levels three, six, nine and twelve, the hero may select one of the effects from the following list:

Alter Appearance: Normally, the character’s broadcasted image exactly resembles him, but this effect allows the super being to alter the look and sound of his Broadcast in any way he wishes: he can make simple cosmetic changes to his own appearance, or appear as an angel, a demon, an alien or any specific item or individual he can recall or imagine. To appear as another, existing person, the hero must make successfully roll against his Disguise skill (if the character lacks that skill, his chance of success is 15% +3% per level of experience); failure indicates that the image is not quite convincing.

Awe/Horror Factor: By channelling psychic energy through his Broadcast, the hero can bring his force of will to bear against an audience. His Broadcast has an Awe/Horror Factor (player’s choice) of 10 +1 per every other level of experience. When used on a mass audience of ordinary humans, this effect is likely to cause widespread panic and disruption, and will certainly add weight to anything the super being has to say.

Focus: When the super being’s image appears, observers cannot look away! Through sheer strength of will, the character can force an audience to pay attention to his every word. To resist this effect, an observer must successfully save vs. psionics (16 or higher, M.E. bonuses applicable) or be transfixed. If an observer is under attack or would otherwise be put in harm’s way by focusing on the Broadcast, they gain a bonus of +6 to the saving throw.

Polyglot: All observers will hear the super being speak in their own language, regardless of whatever words the character is actually using. This effect does not grant any actual knowledge of foreign languages, rather it is a psychic trick that alters the perception of an audience to bypass linguistic barriers.

At every third level of experience (three, six, nine, etc) the hero learns to transmit the Broadcast to one more location simultaneously; at level three, he can broadcast to two places at once, three locations at level six and so on. Note that the hero can still only transmit to areas within his maximum range (see below).

Chances for a successful transmission: The same as for the Whisper sub-ability, detailed above.

Limitations: This ability cannot be used in conjunction with a Mind Block or the power of Alter Aura; the character must drop his psychic defences and open his mind fully in order to transmit his aura.

Beings with the ability to see auras will be able to read the hero’s aura as if he was physically present, and because of this can not be fooled by the Alter Appearance effect.

When the super being uses this aspect of the ability, the sheer expenditure of exotic energy makes him incredibly easy to spot or track, for individuals with the ability to perceive such things. Beings with Scan Powers can determine the hero’s abilities with just a glance, instead of the usual 1D6+1 minutes of study, can do so from three times their normal range, and, even if the hero is psychic, can not be prevented from doing this - no saving throw allowed. Beings with Abnormal Energy Sense can detect use of this ability from three times their normal range and can track the character effortlessly (no chance of failure) - such a being could actually find the hero by following the trail of energy all the way back from his projection, if it was sustained for long enough.

And now, to prove that the quickest way to come up with a new power is to take an existing one and turn it 180 degrees...

Mundane Aura (Major)

"Just ignore me, I'm not even here."

The super being projects an air of utter inconsequentiality; as far as the casual observer is concerned, he’s about as worthy of notice as the average dust particle. This ability to blend into the background grants several useful bonuses.

1. Unnoteworthy. The super human possesses the minor powers of Unnoteworthy - Forgettable (Powers Unlimited 1, page 48) and Gunrunner.

2. Aura of Irrelevance. When the super being fully focuses this power, he seems to disappear altogether, fading from the attention of all those around him. This is not true invisibility, but in some ways is actually better: as this power affects the minds of observers, the Aura renders the character undetectable by sight, hearing, scent and/or superhuman senses such as Radar or Sonar.

Technically, the super being will show up on thermo-imaging systems, CCTV and other electronic means of surveillance, but an observer using such devices will not be able to perceive this (though the character’s presence could be recorded in this manner, for later viewing).

Range: Self.

Duration: Indefinite - the effect lasts for as long as the hero maintains concentration.

Attacks Per Melee: Activating the aura takes just one melee attack/action. Sustaining it uses up two attacks/actions per melee round, due to the concentration involved.

Saving Throw: None - unless the hero performs an action prohibited by the power (see Limitations below), even psychics will be fooled by the Aura.

Limitations: The downside of this ability is that the hero cannot do anything that might draw attention to himself, or the effect is ruined. He cannot talk to, physically interact with, move to attack or even make eye contact with those around him. Even opening a door or moving large objects will give him away, though items small enough to be palmed can still be manipulated or handled, as long as no one else is paying attention to them at the time. Mostly, all the character can do is move (at a rate no greater than 20% of his Speed) and observe. Additionally, the character cannot use this power if someone is actively watching him; he needs a few seconds of privacy to employ the ability.

The Aura does not affect machines or other automatons: robots, golems and automated defence systems can see the hero just fine.

3. Blame Thrower. So unimportant is the character in the eyes of those around him that even when caught in illicit activity, he can potentially displace the responsibility for his actions onto someone else. He simply indicates a bystander, mumbles a quick accusation and passes the buck; the super being is then ignored as an irrelevance and the target of the power must now defend himself against the unfair allegations of wrong-doing.

Range: The target must be within 10 feet (3 m) plus one foot (0.3 m) per level of experience.

Damage: None, directly, though the target of the power may end taking a whuppin’.

Duration: Instant.

Attacks Per Melee: One attack/action.

Saving Throw: 14 or higher (M.E. bonuses applicable), and it’s the accuser/accusers who must successfully save, not the actual target of the ability. If there are multiple accusers, the person with the highest M.E. must attempt to save against the power; if successful, the entire group is unaffected. At the fourth level of experience, the saving throw increases to 16 or higher (M.E. bonuses still applicable).

Limitation: The super being must have someone to transfer blame onto, and for obvious reasons, it cannot be his accuser. Equally, the character must be given a chance to employ the ability; if his accuser has a ‘shoot first, ask questions later’ attitude and attacks on sight, the power is useless.

This ability may only buy the hero a few moments to slip away, depending on the intelligence of the accuser and the persuasiveness of the target: if anyone realises that the facts don’t quite add up, the super being might soon find himself being hunted down by an angry mob.

4. Limitations & Penalties. The downside of this power is that the hero finds it hard to hold the attention or interest of an observer even when he wants to: reduce M.A. by 1D4+2.

This power can not be combined with either Invisibility or Cloaking.
Crazy Lou
Hero

I'm not a big fan of how it treats projectiles and magic/psionics differently as to whether the person is treated as running stationary or having moved down virtual space. I think it ought to be one or the other. Either the previous spatial extension should be treated as distance through which psionics/magic must also consider for range, or incoming projectiles ought to get to ignore it too. It seems too confusing and less logical if they're different. Or at least I haven't realized the reasoning yet. (Or I misunderstood what you meant by the magic/psionics note). I would vote for magic/psionics having to travel through the space too.

Also, I'd like to know: what happens if you drop something or try to measure the length of where you're walking? If the user of the ability is walking with you and continuously making more extensions, eventually the duration of the old ones will expire. Will you walk past things you dropped at that point, or will you have to wait to get out of the extension to retrieve it?

Also, does it work duplicating any space within range? Even a space of solid rock underground? Or a body of water? (That's generally quite plain/ not detailed). Beings like water or earth elementals who can travel through these mediums (and some element-based classes via spell or power) would then be able to be affected even underground. Would this work with the power?

Also, it says that it can clone a VOLUME of 40 cubic feet, but it didn't state the dimensions or shape of the cloned space. Can the user choose the dimensions and shape as he wishes? In that case, with the nuclear blast attack example, he could potentially have used only one spatial extension to avoid the attack by making it a much narrower and very long cloned area (of course obviously he couldn't make it longer than the total distance between himself and Atomizer). If you think that being able to immediately clone any shape is too powerful, you could do one of those percentiles for success like a buster has for its fire eruption power, and a failure means that he wasn't able to produce the needed shape in one action, and instead it defaulted to a cube.

Also, on that note of defaulting to a cube/rectangle: you realize that as a cube, each side would only be ~3.42 feet to a side? and that attempting to clone a space of an average hallway (4' wide and 8' tall) would only allow you to clone a length of hallway that's 1.25' long? That takes less than 1 step to get out of. On the other hand if you were thinking up to a space 40'x40'x40', that'd be a total of 64,000 cubic feet. That's an average 4' wide 8' tall hallway being cloned for a maximum of 2000' feet in length (of course, you can't clone longer than the full length of the existing hallway, so that's a mitigating factor, but in open space, say on a larger battlefield, the power could have a HUGE impact, especially considering their duration (and how confusing/complicated the battlefield would become if he really went to town with his extensions -- which would also be EXTREMELY fun to mess with).

Also, with the use of hallway type areas: What happens when you cross/overlap spatial extensions? (Ie: make a + sign with 2 hallways?).

Also, can the user of this power cancel the spatial extensions early if he wishes? And does he automatically remember/know all the existing extensions he's made, or does he have to mentally/consciously keep track of all of them. Can he see them for what they really are/perceive the distortion?

I think that's all for now. :D I really really love this power, especially if you take it as the 64,000 cubic feet version with the ability to control its size. That would just make it so extremely versatile!

I'm just imagining a 6th level character in a building/base making rounds on guard patrol every 30 minutes and duplicating corridors (potentially many times) behind him, and otherwise messing with the layout to make things harder for potential intruders. Especially since if he wasn't consistent with his pattern of duplication, he could create the effect of having a constantly shifting layout of the base (and you'd have "walls" that looked like doors since they're just a phantom copy, and windows that are solid, etc). Think how much more fun it'd be when you started messing with mirrors on walls.

A crazy variant that would almost surely require GM approval and probably count as more than one power, would be to allow the user of the power to change the orientation of the duplicated space upon creation. :lol: :twisted: :lol: Especially if it allowed changing angles of elevation!
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

Crazy Lou
Hero

With the Mundane Aura, using the "Aura of Irrelevance" sub-power, if the power is activated, can he intentionally negate its effects upon select people prior to moving out into a larger/different area with different people? IE: he could be in a locker room with his 2 buddies, have them turn around, activate the aura, then grab their attention so they can see him, but no one else will once he leaves the locker room?

taalismn
Priest

Crazy Lou wrote:I'm not a big fan of how it treats projectiles and magic/psionics differently as to whether the person is treated as running stationary or having moved down virtual space. I think it ought to be one or the other. Either the previous spatial extension should be treated as distance through which psionics/magic must also consider for range, or incoming projectiles ought to get to ignore it too. It seems too confusing and less logical if they're different. Or at least I haven't realized the reasoning yet. (Or I misunderstood what you meant by the magic/psionics note). I would vote for magic/psionics having to travel through the space too.

I think that's all for now. :D I really really love this power, especially if you take it as the 64,000 cubic feet version with the ability to control its size. That would just make it so extremely versatile!

I'm just imagining a 6th level character in a building/base making rounds on guard patrol every 30 minutes and duplicating corridors (potentially many times) behind him, and otherwise messing with the layout to make things harder for potential intruders. Especially since if he wasn't consistent with his pattern of duplication, he could create the effect of having a constantly shifting layout of the base (and you'd have "walls" that looked like doors since they're just a phantom copy, and windows that are solid, etc). Think how much more fun it'd be when you started messing with mirrors on walls.

A crazy variant that would almost surely require GM approval and probably count as more than one power, would be to allow the user of the power to change the orientation of the duplicated space upon creation. :lol: :twisted: :lol: Especially if it allowed changing angles of elevation!

Thanks...that's the sort of analysis I was looking for, and I hadn't considered the tape measure trick. I'll think it over in that light with regards to reformating and revising teh power.

And I agree; I had some vague thought beforehand of a skill precentage for duplicating particular terrains, but this would work better on reshaping the Extension with regards to size and dimensions, so that a truly profficient user could create an Extension the width of a saran wrap box, but MILES long, for the purpose of defeating lasers and other distanced attacks!

As for the Magic/Psionics? I thought that would be a quick Limitation, something that could blast through the Extension and defeat the apparent aura of invincibility(or un-hittabilit) that hiding in an Extension seems tp give. BUt if that doesn't seem reasonable, I'll drop it.

Just think, though, of combining this power with something like an illusion-generating power!

Thanks for the extensive in-depth commentary!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

It could use a bit of clarification and description as to what the victims of this experience. I thought it a bit vague.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:It could use a bit of clarification and description as to what the victims of this experience. I thought it a bit vague.

Have you seen Inception by any chance? I think that the scenes where the girl "architect" is messing around with the "dream world" with mirrors and stuff helped me visualize the kind of effect the power would have from an outside and inside perspective.

I basically figured that it's like you're in a dimensional circle in the sense that when you are about to leave from the real space (that was cloned, but this is the first time, which would be before entering the cloned space), you are basically just walking into the beginning of the space you just walked through (like how you can go across the screen in Ms. PacMan, as you go out the right side of the screen you instantly re-enter the left side (the same space you just left, but at the beginning again). Depending on the area that's cloned, you'd be more or less likely to notice you're in a "loop." A long mostly featureless hallway would just give the viewer a very few nearby details to notice with a long and noticeable vanishing point at the end, and if it's long enough, you wouldn't notice that your approach rate to the "vanishing point" / end of the hallway has halted, or that you're apparently suddenly farther away than you were before. However, it'd be much more noticeable in NY city because you'd keep walking past your same favorite cafe. You also might notice that the periodically spaced garbage cans all have the exact same graffiti every time. I think that a useful distinction would be (correct me if I'm wrong here taalismn, this is just my understanding of the power) that while there's only a certain volume that's cloned, the background area that's outside the cloned space looks the same too.

So for instance if you cloned a 4' wide by 8' tall by 50' long area on a NYC city block sidewalk while parking meters and cars parked on the street side are not inside the cloned space, it appears to victims/people within the cloned space that they are passing these same items again, provided they notice this fact. However, if a victim goesto steal that nice Ferrari that's parked on the street, as soon as he steps outside of the cloned volume, he's back where he first entered, halfway down the block some 30' away from the Ferrari, even though he thought he was only 3 feet away.

That's I believe how it'd work as currently written/defined, but I'd also like to note that I don't really like the idea that no matter where you exit from the cloned volume that you're going to end up just where you entered, regardless of how far you think you've traveled. I'm not completely sure how I'd do it instead, but here are 2 ideas:

1) Maybe you'd exit where you would think you are. To clarify, using the Ferrari example, the car thief would exit right next to the Ferrari, regardless of how far parallel to the car he thought he'd walked (maybe he had passed the Ferrari 50 times already, but since he's at that point within the cloned space, he exits from the point where he is in that space. I hope that made sense -- I'd be a lot easier to explain this in person and with diagrams.

2) Maybe the direction you exit from the cloned volume matters. Now, this is even trickier to explain. The idea came from the comment about "open-ended dimensional pocket." Essentially, the volume cloned has an intended direction of travel for the victim. With the example of a hallway, it's intended/expected that the victim will enter in one end, and exit out the opposite one. So if the victim exits out the intended end (and back into real space, not another cloned space), he winds up at the opposite end of the space because it's the "intended exit." However, if he exits from another direction (flies up and out, goes out a side, etc) he winds up back where he entered (or a nastier way would be that you can only exit from the way you entered &/or the intended exit, and any other direction of escape makes you pull a Ms. PacMan and wind up having just looped around the cloned space (ie if it's a rectangular prism viewed top down as a rectangle, and he entered the bottom, the top is the intended exit, but he tried to leave somewhere out the side, he winds up at exactly the the same angle, relative to the side that he left, at the same distance "up" the rectangle, but coming in from the right side -- again I hope that made sense).

Finally, this further rumination on the power has brought up some other questions: can the volume cloned be curved, can it have "L" shapes, etc? And imagine the crazy results if you made a bent shape like an "L" and then interpreted the volume as having an entrance point and intended exit, but they entered from a side? Or even if you made a rectangular prism, and viewed top down, they entered from the left and its intended exit was the top. It'd be super confusing, but it also would mean that characters could create pseudo-dimensional mazes in open space, which would be mind-boggling, but also awesome.

Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Temporary surge: [Minor]
'We have to defeat him quickly before he gains too much power'

By tapping into an undisclosed source of energy, possibly extradimensional, the character can swell to full power and then taper off.

Round one: Nothing happens when this power is activated, though doing so requires an action, though the character gains a few pounds of muscle for the round.

Round Two: In the second round, the character gains a +2 to PS, and +10 SDC, as well as healing 2D6 HP or SDC. His normal weight is increased by 20%

Round Three: PS bonus rises to +6 and SDC becomes +30(Gains 20). Character heals 2D6 HP or SDC again. His weight rises by 50%

Round four: PS bonus becomes +10 and SDC bonus rises to +50 (Gains 30). he heals 2D6 in this round and gains an additional action per melee round. He is double his normal weight by now.

The effects of round four last for one round initially. From round five, the character must make a saving throw (14+ PE bonuses apply) to maintain the swell. he has a -1 on the sixth round, and another -1 every round afterwards. Eventually he will fail. After this point, he goes into reverse (drops to round 3's bonuses, then round 2) and his prodigious healing ceases.

on the final round, the character becomes tired (loses one action per round) and groggy (-2 to combat rolls -10% to skills) for 1D4 minutes.

Brain scourge: [Major]
'Let us see how daft you really are'

By touching a foe (can be parried) and spending 2 actions, the character can debilitate even the brightest of foes.
The target must make a saving throw (16+ ME bonuses apply). if he succeeds, the target simply loses 1D4 to IQ, ME or MA (target chooses) attributes cannot drop below half their normal rating in this method.
If he fails, then the conditions are much worse. One selected attribute (IQ ME or MA. Chosen by the character) drops to 4.
IQ: Non physical skills drop to half their immediate levels. Physical skills drop by 10%. HTH combat drops to 1st level proficiency. There is a 30% chance every melee round that the character must stop what he's doing and work out what he's supposed to do. Normal tasks take three times as long to perform.
ME: Target suffers a -6 to all saving throws vs HF, insanity, Illusions, psionics and any other ME based saving throw. He treats all combat as having a HF of 8 (which given his penalty is severe). if psionic, he loses half of his current ISP
MA: Target loses the ability to communicate with others. He knows what the words are, he just cannot bring himself to use them effectively, instead relying on impulse words and phrases that are, in his mind, a 'best approximation'. (A character afflicted with this, for instance, might want to tell a team mate to 'look out behind you!' but it may come out as 'Clubbing....Hurts!' which is hardly effective. if a spell caster, he can no longer find the words to simply speak any spell above first level.

Diminished attributes last a relatively short time. 5 minutes per level is the normal duration, but it can be lengthened by 5 minutes per level for multiple touches (or one minute per level for a successful saving throw), even if the targetted attribute is different each time.

Targets with much lower than normal attributes, are already a little innured against this power. having an IQ, ME or MA score of 8 or less provides a +1 to the saving throw vs this power (and having all three would provide +3).

Glass shadow: [Minor]
'Yeah..cool power, pity your aim ain't worth a damn'

The character can generate a virtual clone, a copy of himself made of nothing but intangible mental energy. The clone acts as a bodyguard, stepping in to absorb harmfull effects in your place.

It takes 3 actions to generate this clone, which follows the character while it lasts. whenever the character is targeted by a non physical effect (most psychic or pseudo-psychic effects included) the effect strikes the clone instead (it's a virtual copy of your psychic imprint) The glass shadow makes any saving throws you would make, but if it fails, then it shatters. if it succeeds, then it remains.

The glass shadow can be sensed by appropriate powers and abilities (Presence sense, life sense etc) but is not physical in nature (it cannot stop the character from being 'touched' or fired upon by purely physical powers.

Field shatter
: [Minor]
'That wall's not going to help you'

The character can affect force fields, causing them to ripple and fracture, harming those it should be protecting.

The character needs to specify a force field within his range (80 feet) to use this ability, and expend three actions. Force fields include those generated by the power force field, as well as create force objects and force field like effects generated by technology, psionics or magic.

The targeted force field loses 20% of its SDC (and in cases where it has an AR, such as force aura, loses 3 AR) and shatters outward or inward, inflicting 3D6 +1D6 per level to all targets within 5 feet per level of the force field. If the character is targetting his own force fields, he may reduce his own Loss to 10%, and can 'aim' the force effect away from allies, and out to a range of 10 feet per level.

The character takes half damage from force damage (as dealt by force fields and EE: force) but not from shockwaves or normal blunt kinetic attacks)

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler

Crazy Lou wrote:With the Mundane Aura, using the "Aura of Irrelevance" sub-power, if the power is activated, can he intentionally negate its effects upon select people prior to moving out into a larger/different area with different people? IE: he could be in a locker room with his 2 buddies, have them turn around, activate the aura, then grab their attention so they can see him, but no one else will once he leaves the locker room?

No: if the character deliberately does anything to draw attention to himself, it negates the power, so grabbing his friends' attention is a no-no, though he would still benefit from the Unnoteworthy power once they left the locker room. Basically, if anyone knows for sure that he's there, it ruins the effect.

If he wanted to use the Aura, he'd need to agree where to meet with his buddies later on, then power up and move out by himself. It's kind of a loner's power. :)
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Icer, I am confused why you called the mental clone power Glass Shadow. To me, the name conjured images of a character able to create reflections of things behind him in the shadows.
Would something like I'm describing be a made into a minor power, and if so, what other benefits would it have? Anybody want to write this one up?
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Gryphon Chick wrote:To me, the name conjured images of a character able to create reflections of things behind him in the shadows.
Would something like I'm describing be a made into a minor power, and if so, what other benefits would it have? Anybody want to write this one up?

I might be able to come up with something if noone else wants to take a crack at it. I am also curious about what other benefits it would have.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Gryphon Chick wrote:Icer, I am confused why you called the mental clone power Glass Shadow. To me, the name conjured images of a character able to create reflections of things behind him in the shadows.

in all honesty I was just waxing poetical. I first wrote it as 'mental copy' on the post, and when i got to writing it out it came out as 'glass shadow'

as a side note, it's also a (woeful) angelina Jolie movie (Cyborg 2: Glass shadow)

Most of the image projection powers seem to be stuck in the majors section so....

'Glass shadow' [Minor: reduex]
'OK Baron Glass..which one is the real Turkish Diamond?'

The character can create facsimilies of nerby objects, creating a solid, but fragile projection of that object. Target objects must be within 20 feet, and the copy appears within 20 feet. the character can copy any object roughly the size of an automobile. the copy looks realistic, but a perception check (14+ reveals a fake) no matter the size, the copy has no more than 1 SDC per ME point posessed by the character. copied objects are useless weapons (inflict half damage of the normal object, cannot have moving parts and will take as much damage as they inflict) but they can be made to deflect attacks or slow attackers. Roll a D20 and add +4. treat this as a parry attempt. if higher than the incoming attack, then the glass shadow sprang into being in time to intercept the attack. Ranged attacks are -4 to strike through a glass shadow, and absorbs damage until it's SDC is depleted. anyone running into a glass shadow will take 2D4 plus any speed modifiers (and will probably stop moving, though they may destroy it in the process)
Dropping a copied item on a target can also be done, and inflicts 4D6 damage out to normal range with no bonus to strike.
Glass shadows last until no longer needed, are destroyed, or the creator moves out of his normal range (it persists for 2D4 melee rounds). a created object can support the character's ME x5 in pounds (which, if strong willed enough, could act as furniture)
The character can create only one copy at a time, but could create many over time, subject to the above durations.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I was envisioning something more like this:

Reflective Shadow (minor): The character can cause shadows to reflect images nearby, much like glass. Inversely, they can also cause mirrors and reflective surfaces in range to go blank.
Range: Affects surfaces within 40 feet of the character. Must be within sight of the character.
Duration: Concentration; uses one melee atack/action per melee round per each shadow or reflection.
Attacks: Uses one melee attack/action per shadow or reflection targeted. Can affect a number of surfaces equal to his number of attacks, line of sight.
Effects: Can be used to either blank out a refection from a mirror or to cause a shadow to act as a mirror, allowing those nearby to use it to perform trick shots or perform surveillance on others.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler

Cubby-Hole (Minor)

The hero can summon what is effectively a tiny pocket dimension that overlaps our reality. This strange little compartment is barely big enough to hold the character within its confines, and is visible and tangible only to him. So it cannot be used to hide (the super being can be clearly seen while inside) and does not shield against any attack (projectiles, people, forces and weapons pass straight through it). However, attuned as it is to the character who summons it, for him it is both perceptible and as solid as a brick wall, which provides some interesting advantages.

The Cubby-Hole is a transparent, rectangular box, its exact dimensions determined by the super being’s size. It is always two inches (5 cm) larger than the hero at his tallest, widest and deepest point; for example, a character six feet (1.8 m) tall would have a Cubby-Hole that was six feet and two inches (1.85m) high. As the Cubby-Hole conforms to the character’s dimensions, he can adjust its volume by simply positioning his body correctly, e.g. holding his hands above his head before summoning the pocket dimension would add approximately 18 inches (45 cm) to its height, or holding his arms straight out to the sides could add up to 4 feet (1.2 m) or more to its width. The floor of the Cubby-Hole is relative to the character; if he is stood up or sat down, the floor is directly beneath his feet, if lying down, it is right under the full length of his body. The super being can summon or dismiss the Cubby-Hole with just a thought, so quickly as to be effectively instantaneous.

Access to this miniature dimension provides the following benefits:

• The super being cannot be moved from his location once the Cubby-Hole is in place, its walls preventing his removal; opponents will discover that they cannot pull, push or lift the hero more than a couple of inches in any direction, no matter how strong they may be.
  • The character cannot be thrown or tripped in combat. As the hero begins to fall, he can instantly summon the Cubby-Hole, brace himself against its wall and right himself immediately, a manoeuvre that will catch a lot of opponents off guard.
  • The hero cannot fall uncontrollably: he simply summons the Cubby-Hole as he begins to drop and lands safely on its floor. Using this trick, he can safely lower himself down from any height - fall a couple of feet, summon the Cubby-Hole, land, dismiss it, fall a couple of feet and so on - until he is safely down on the ground.
  • Using this same technique, the character can jump over dangerous obstacles (deep chasms, mine fields, lava flows, etc), using the Cubby-Hole as a series of stepping stones; jumping, summoning, landing, jumping just as he dismisses the compartment, summoning, landing and so on. He can even employ this method to jump up to great heights, but this is painfully slow: raising himself up in this way, the hero can only travel at 5% of his normal Speed.
  • The Cubby-Hole can be maintained indefinitely, even while the super-being is asleep or unconscious, giving him a resting place or vantage point even in uncertain or unsafe terrain.
  • While other people cannot be contained by or even touch the Cubby-Hole, they can hang onto the hero as he is held by the strange compartment, benefiting from his immovability.

Vulnerabilities: The super being cannot summon the Cubby-Hole if unconscious, meaning he can fall or be moved around normally. Equally, he cannot dismiss the Cubby-Hole if he loses consciousness, which could be a problem if he requires medical attention but cannot be moved beyond the boundaries of his pocket dimension.

When the Cubby-Hole is summoned, it is fixed in place - combine this with the fact that its sides are, for the super being, as solid as a rock, and this makes it very dangerous for the hero to summon the compartment while moving at high speed, as he will slam straight into the immovable wall. For the same reasons, the character may prefer not to use this power if grappling with a superhumanly strong opponent, who can slam him against the walls of the Cubby-Hole with enough force to be damaging or even fatal.

Flesh and Bone (Major)

With this freakish ability, the character can separate his flesh from his bones and exist as two beings - one a boneless and impossibly flexible contortionist, the other a walking skeleton!

It takes one full melee round for the two parts of the hero to separate from each other, or merge back into one being. While apart, both bodies have the same skills and memories and the same mental/physical attributes (unless otherwise indicated below), though S.D.C., Hit Points and any I.S.P. or P.P.E. are split equally between the two. When separated, the two bodies can sense each other’s basic state of health (fine, injured, dying) and general location (over that way, near/far).

Both halves of the hero retain all of their other powers (though some may not apply - Hold Breath is useless to the Skeleton and the Flesh body will not benefit from Indestructible Bones). Beyond that, each has radically different capabilities.

The Skeleton has the following abilities:

• Horror Factor of 9 (or a bonus of +3 if he already has the power).
  • Takes half damage from cutting/piercing/slashing attacks.
  • The character is immune to pain and suffers no penalties due to fatigue or injury. His wounds do not bleed.
  • Cannot be stunned and not vulnerable to death blows or critical hits.
  • Impervious to extremes of temperature.
  • The character’s exposed bones are sensitive to vibration; in addition to the hero’s normal sense of hearing, the Skeleton has the minor power of Motion Detection.
  • Immune to psionics (not including physical psionic attacks, like Mind Bolt and Psi Sword), illusions and mind control.
  • Immune to poisons, drugs and toxins.
  • Does not need to eat, drink or breathe.
  • +10% to Speed.

Penalties:

• The Skeleton cannot pass for human.
  • No sense of sight, smell or taste.
  • Cannot speak.
  • Sense of touch is crude; about 50% that of a normal human.
  • Cannot swim; no buoyancy.
  • While it may appear to be undead, the Skeleton is alive and therefore vulnerable to powers like Bio-Ghost and Life Leech, or attacks that target the soul.

The Flesh Body has the following abilities:

• Retains human appearance and speech - can pass for normal
  • Incredibly flexible: +8 P.P. +3 to auto dodge, +5 to roll with punch, fall or impact.
  • +35% to Escape Artist skill and +25% to perform the manoeuvres offered by the skills of Acrobatics and Gymnastics.
  • Blunt force causes one half normal damage.
  • Contortionist: can flatten his entire body or fold into a condensed ball. Same as the sub-abilities of Stretching/Elasticity (HU main book, page 292).
  • +10% to Speed.

Penalties:

• While sleeping or unconscious, the boneless body will lose all cohesion and slowly collapse into a fleshy puddle, giving away its strange nature.
  • The Flesh Body, due to a lack of rigidity, is twice as vulnerable to the effects of great pressure, high gravity and the weight increase power of Weight Manipulation. Any penalties incurred by exposure to such forces take effect twice as quickly, cause twice the normal damage and last for twice as long.

Vulnerabilities: The two separate bodies cannot survive without each other for long: they must rejoin within one hour per level of experience or both will start to weaken, losing 1D4 Hit Points per minute. This damage cannot be healed until the two halves of the hero reunite, irrespective of any regenerative powers the super being may possess. If one body is killed, the other will not immediately perish, but will lose 1D4 Hit Points per minute until death.

The two halves of the hero only have a basic sense of each other (location and general state of health) and must therefore use mundane means if they wish to communicate. While the Flesh Body can speak normally and the Skeleton can hear him, the Skeleton can only mime or write messages for his meaty counterpart. Once the two bodies go beyond the range of hearing, neither will know the details of what the other is experiencing, so prior planning is advisable.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Senator Cybus wrote:Cubby-Hole (Minor)

The hero can summon what is effectively a tiny pocket dimension that overlaps our reality. This strange little compartment is barely big enough to hold the character within its confines, and is visible and tangible only to him. So it cannot be used to hide (the super being can be clearly seen while inside) and does not shield against any attack (projectiles, people, forces and weapons pass straight through it). However, attuned as it is to the character who summons it, for him it is both perceptible and as solid as a brick wall, which provides some interesting advantages.

The Cubby-Hole is a transparent, rectangular box, its exact dimensions determined by the super being’s size. It is always two inches (5 cm) larger than the hero at his tallest, widest and deepest point; for example, a character six feet (1.8 m) tall would have a Cubby-Hole that was six feet and two inches (1.85m) high. As the Cubby-Hole conforms to the character’s dimensions, he can adjust its volume by simply positioning his body correctly, e.g. holding his hands above his head before summoning the pocket dimension would add approximately 18 inches (45 cm) to its height, or holding his arms straight out to the sides could add up to 4 feet (1.2 m) or more to its width. The floor of the Cubby-Hole is relative to the character; if he is stood up or sat down, the floor is directly beneath his feet, if lying down, it is right under the full length of his body. The super being can summon or dismiss the Cubby-Hole with just a thought, so quickly as to be effectively instantaneous.

Access to this miniature dimension provides the following benefits:

• The super being cannot be moved from his location once the Cubby-Hole is in place, its walls preventing his removal; opponents will discover that they cannot pull, push or lift the hero more than a couple of inches in any direction, no matter how strong they may be.
  • The character cannot be thrown or tripped in combat. As the hero begins to fall, he can instantly summon the Cubby-Hole, brace himself against its wall and right himself immediately, a manoeuvre that will catch a lot of opponents off guard.
  • The hero cannot fall uncontrollably: he simply summons the Cubby-Hole as he begins to drop and lands safely on its floor. Using this trick, he can safely lower himself down from any height - fall a couple of feet, summon the Cubby-Hole, land, dismiss it, fall a couple of feet and so on - until he is safely down on the ground.
  • Using this same technique, the character can jump over dangerous obstacles (deep chasms, mine fields, lava flows, etc), using the Cubby-Hole as a series of stepping stones; jumping, summoning, landing, jumping just as he dismisses the compartment, summoning, landing and so on. He can even employ this method to jump up to great heights, but this is painfully slow: raising himself up in this way, the hero can only travel at 5% of his normal Speed.
  • The Cubby-Hole can be maintained indefinitely, even while the super-being is asleep or unconscious, giving him a resting place or vantage point even in uncertain or unsafe terrain.
  • While other people cannot be contained by or even touch the Cubby-Hole, they can hang onto the hero as he is held by the strange compartment, benefiting from his immovability.

Vulnerabilities: The super being cannot summon the Cubby-Hole if unconscious, meaning he can fall or be moved around normally. Equally, he cannot dismiss the Cubby-Hole if he loses consciousness, which could be a problem if he requires medical attention but cannot be moved beyond the boundaries of his pocket dimension.

When the Cubby-Hole is summoned, it is fixed in place - combine this with the fact that its sides are, for the super being, as solid as a rock, and this makes it very dangerous for the hero to summon the compartment while moving at high speed, as he will slam straight into the immovable wall. For the same reasons, the character may prefer not to use this power if grappling with a superhumanly strong opponent, who can slam him against the walls of the Cubby-Hole with enough force to be damaging or even fatal.

Flesh and Bone (Major)

With this freakish ability, the character can separate his flesh from his bones and exist as two beings - one a boneless and impossibly flexible contortionist, the other a walking skeleton!

It takes one full melee round for the two parts of the hero to separate from each other, or merge back into one being. While apart, both bodies have the same skills and memories and the same mental/physical attributes (unless otherwise indicated below), though S.D.C., Hit Points and any I.S.P. or P.P.E. are split equally between the two. When separated, the two bodies can sense each other’s basic state of health (fine, injured, dying) and general location (over that way, near/far).

Both halves of the hero retain all of their other powers (though some may not apply - Hold Breath is useless to the Skeleton and the Flesh body will not benefit from Indestructible Bones). Beyond that, each has radically different capabilities.

The Skeleton has the following abilities:

• Horror Factor of 9 (or a bonus of +3 if he already has the power).
  • Takes half damage from cutting/piercing/slashing attacks.
  • The character is immune to pain and suffers no penalties due to fatigue or injury. His wounds do not bleed.
  • Cannot be stunned and not vulnerable to death blows or critical hits.
  • Impervious to extremes of temperature.
  • The character’s exposed bones are sensitive to vibration; in addition to the hero’s normal sense of hearing, the Skeleton has the minor power of Motion Detection.
  • Immune to psionics (not including physical psionic attacks, like Mind Bolt and Psi Sword), illusions and mind control.
  • Immune to poisons, drugs and toxins.
  • Does not need to eat, drink or breathe.
  • +10% to Speed.

Penalties:

• The Skeleton cannot pass for human.
  • No sense of sight, smell or taste.
  • Cannot speak.
  • Sense of touch is crude; about 50% that of a normal human.
  • Cannot swim; no buoyancy.
  • While it may appear to be undead, the Skeleton is alive and therefore vulnerable to powers like Bio-Ghost and Life Leech, or attacks that target the soul.

The Flesh Body has the following abilities:

• Retains human appearance and speech - can pass for normal
  • Incredibly flexible: +8 P.P. +3 to auto dodge, +5 to roll with punch, fall or impact.
  • +35% to Escape Artist skill and +25% to perform the manoeuvres offered by the skills of Acrobatics and Gymnastics.
  • Blunt force causes one half normal damage.
  • Contortionist: can flatten his entire body or fold into a condensed ball. Same as the sub-abilities of Stretching/Elasticity (HU main book, page 292).
  • +10% to Speed.

Penalties:

• While sleeping or unconscious, the boneless body will lose all cohesion and slowly collapse into a fleshy puddle, giving away its strange nature.
  • The Flesh Body, due to a lack of rigidity, is twice as vulnerable to the effects of great pressure, high gravity and the weight increase power of Weight Manipulation. Any penalties incurred by exposure to such forces take effect twice as quickly, cause twice the normal damage and last for twice as long.

Vulnerabilities: The two separate bodies cannot survive without each other for long: they must rejoin within one hour per level of experience or both will start to weaken, losing 1D4 Hit Points per minute. This damage cannot be healed until the two halves of the hero reunite, irrespective of any regenerative powers the super being may possess. If one body is killed, the other will not immediately perish, but will lose 1D4 Hit Points per minute until death.

The two halves of the hero only have a basic sense of each other (location and general state of health) and must therefore use mundane means if they wish to communicate. While the Flesh Body can speak normally and the Skeleton can hear him, the Skeleton can only mime or write messages for his meaty counterpart. Once the two bodies go beyond the range of hearing, neither will know the details of what the other is experiencing, so prior planning is advisable.

Very NICE!

You should check out my "Lack-luster' minor super ability of Alter Physical Structure Molasses in the section Titled Spider Man in the Topic of Other Games. It was just for laughs.
G
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I like Flesh and Bone... Well done, Senator.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler

Kovoston wrote:Very NICE!

You should check out my "Lack-luster' minor super ability of Alter Physical Structure Molasses in the section Titled Spider Man in the Topic of Other Games. It was just for laughs.
G

Thanks! And APS: Molasses is cool! :-D It might have been for laughs, but it works as a power.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I like Flesh and Bone... Well done, Senator.

And thank you, too. :-D

Got a few more to share - have any of these been done before? I've checked the wiki and apparently not, but there's just so many powers on there now, it's hard to be sure... :-? :? Out of interest, does anyone have an idea just how many powers there are in the Vault?

Animal Abilities: Leech (Major)

By Senator Cybus

Abilities and Bonuses

1. Motion Detection. Same as the Motion Detection power on page 35 of Powers Unlimited One.

2. Bite Attack: the super being’s bite causes 2D6 damage and an anti-coagulant in his saliva will cause the wound to continue bleeding - the target will lose a further 1D4 S.D.C. every melee round for the next 2D4 rounds. Super beings with healing or regenerative powers are immune to the anti-coagulant.

If he chooses, the character can lock his jaws after successfully biting an opponent, allowing him to drink the blood released by the injury. This is effectively a hold (see HU main book, page 68) and if his victim cannot break free, the super being can drain 1D4 S.D.C. every melee round for up to three minutes, before becoming too full to continue. Note that the wound will keep bleeding even after the character releases his grip, as detailed above.

3. Can live on blood: one pint of blood will sustain the super being for a full 48 hours, replacing the need for food and water (though the hero can still eat and drink normally if he wishes).

4. Breathe underwater (and on land) indefinitely.

5. Natural swimmer with a 98% skill proficiency. Swimming speed is three times the character’s normal speed.

6. Add 1D4 P.P.

7. Add 1D4 P.E.

8. Can control 1D4x10 leeches +10 per level of experience.

Spare Tyre

By Senator Cybus

"Call me Michelin Ma - oh, er, my lawyer informs me that you should call me Generic Tyre Guy."

The super being can create rubber tyres from his own flesh, pulling them fully formed from his torso.

1. Create Tyre. The character can create a tyre suitable for any make of automobile or bike. He can perfectly replicate any type of tyre that he can see or has personally handled and can attempt to create a specific make of tyre from a description only, his chance of success being 40% + 4% per level of experience (if the hero has the skill of Automotive Mechanics, he receives a bonus of +15% to this roll).

Creating a tyre uses up just one attack/action and the character can make as many per hour as 9 +1 per level of experience. G.M.s may wish to treat particularly large tyres, such as those for a tractor or monster truck, as two or even three creations, and smaller/thinner ones, such as those for a bicycle, as one half of a creation. The tyres produced by the hero are as real, durable and long-lasting as those created through mundane means.

2. Hurl Tyre. The hero can use his tyres as projectiles, shooting them from his torso like giant, rubbery discuses.

Range: 50 feet (15 m) for a typical car tyre, 25 feet (7.5 m) for a tractor tyre or similar, 75 feet (23 m) for a small/thin tyre.
Damage: 2D4+3 for a car tyre, 3D4+4 for a tractor tyre, 1D4+2 for a smaller /thinner tyre.
Duration: Instant.
Attacks Per Melee: Creating and launching a tyre uses up just one attack/action.
Bonuses: +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 6, 10 and 14. As the tyres are launched from the character’s torso, he can still shoot normally if his hands are restrained.
Limitations: Tyres created for use as missile weapons still count towards the super being’s maximum allocation per hour, as detailed in the Create Tyre sub-ability above.

3. Tyre Armour. By forming a series of tyres around his torso, the super being can create a partial suit of hardened rubber armour, granting him a Natural A.R. of 8.

Creating or re-absorbing this armour takes just one melee attack/action. It can be maintained indefinitely, though while the armour is in place the number of tyres that the super being can create is halved. The character cannot produce a suit of armour if he has used up his maximum allocation of tyres, and must wait for at least one hour while his body replenishes itself. Note that the Tyre Armour is bulky and will be readily noticeable under normal clothing.

4. Bonuses:
Add 2D4+10 S.D.C.
+10 to Pilot: Automobile.

Penalties:
The character is somewhat podgy: - 2 P.B.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler

And one more...

Scent Manipulation

By Senator Cybus

"This is the smell of justice! And rotten eggs. Mostly rotten eggs."

Through mental manipulation of scent molecules, the super being can achieve a number of useful effects.

1. Hide Scent. The character can suppress his scent and the scent of anything on his person completely, making him impossible to track by smell alone.

Range: Self, initially; at the third level of experience, the super being learns to extend this protection to anyone/anything within a radius of 3 feet (0.9 m) plus one foot (0.3 m) per level of experience, allowing him to suppress the scents of entire groups, as long as they stay close by.
Duration: Indefinite. As long as the hero is conscious.
Attacks Per Melee: Activating this aspect of the power uses up only one attack/action; once done, the effect can be maintained with minimal concentration, requiring no sacrifice of attacks/actions.

2. Imitate Scent. The super being can alter his odour to imitate any other scent; expensive perfume, baking bread, gasoline, wet dog, etc. The hero can duplicate any common smell with ease.

Exactly imitating a specific scent is more difficult - the character must first sample it by touch before attempting to replicate it, and his scent copying skill is 40% plus 4% per level of experience.

Range: Self.
Duration: Indefinite. As long as the hero is conscious.
Attacks Per Melee: Analysing a scent by touch requires one full melee round. Changing to a new scent uses up one attack/action. The new smell can be maintained with minimal effort, requiring no sacrifice of attacks/actions. Note that the hero can only maintain one odour at any given time.
Bonus: By imitating the scent of fine cologne/perfume, the super being can gain a bonus of +5% to Seduction.

3. Imprint Scent. The character can manipulate the scent molecules clinging to other people and objects, temporarily changing their odours. Any smell that can be produced with the Scent Manipulation power can be applied to a target.

Range: Touch. In combat, a successful strike is required to use this ability on an opponent.
Duration: Four minutes per level of experience.
Attacks Per Melee: Imprinting a scent uses up one melee attack/action.
Saving Throw: Inanimate objects cannot resist this power. Living beings have to save vs. poison (14 or higher; P.E. bonuses are applicable) to avoid having their scent changed.

4. Stench. Similar to the minor super power of the same name, this is the ability to generate a pungent stink so overpowering that it can incapacitate an opponent.

Range: 10 foot (3 m) radius - anyone within this range, allies included, will be exposed to the smell.
Damage: No actual damage, but those affected by the Stench are -8 on initiative, -4 to strike, parry, dodge and all other combat manoeuvres, -40% to perform any skills and lose two melee attacks/actions per round due to projectile vomiting.
Duration: Indefinite, as long as the hero concentrates. Victims suffer the penalties listed above for as long as they remain in the Stench cloud and half of those penalties for another 1D4+1 melee rounds even after they leave the area, as the horrific smell will cling to their clothes and skin.
Attacks Per Melee: It takes two melee actions to generate the Stench and requires the sacrifice of two melee attacks/actions per round to sustain it, due to the concentration involved.
Saving Throw: 16 or higher (P.E. bonuses applicable).
Bonus: The hero is impervious to his own Stench and the Stench power of other super beings.

This ability can be used in conjunction with the Imprint Scent effect, allowing for the creation of instant stink bombs or even direct application to an enemy, though a target is +2 to save vs. an imprinted Stench.

5. Heightened Sense of Smell. By concentrating scent molecules around himself, the super being can simulate the minor power of Heightened Sense of Smell (see HU main book, page 234, for the specifics), though this approximation of the ability is not quite as good as the real thing.

Range: 50 feet (15 m).
Duration: Indefinite, as long as the hero concentrates.
Attacks Per Melee: One attack/action to activate it and requires the sacrifice of one attack/action per melee round to sustain it.
Penalties: The hero is -10% to recognize/track scents and receives no bonus to dodge or initiative. This power cannot be used at the same time as any of the other sub-abilities, as the act of artificially generating or suppressing odours will taint any incoming scent molecules.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Senator Cybus wrote:Out of interest, does anyone have an idea just how many powers there are in the Vault?

I really have no clue. Iczer has well over 1200, and my list of powers is about half that. Are you still posting your powers over to the vault, Senator?
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I really have no clue. Iczer has well over 1200, and my list of powers is about half that.

:eek:
So, basically, there's enough powers and other content there to make Powers Unlimited 4-14? :-)

Stone Gargoyle wrote: Are you still posting your powers over to the vault, Senator?

Well, I've been a bit lazy recently, and some powers I've held back from posting there while I tweaked them or waited for more feedback, but yeah, officially, I'm still posting. :) Actually, I'll post the most recent ones up now, before I forget.

Any thoughts on my latest powers? Spare Tyre, I'll admit, is sort of a gag power, but still viable, I think...
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Senator Cybus wrote:Any thoughts on my latest powers? Spare Tyre, I'll admit, is sort of a gag power, but still viable, I think...

Well, if we're gonna do gag powers....

Curly Shuffle (minor)
Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk...

The character with this power has the ability to force opponents to do several oddball things in the style of The Three Stooges:

1. The character can make opponents perform slapstick routines to slap, punch, eye-poke, etc., each other, thereby distracting them from attacking the character. Targets are allowed a saving throw vs. mind control, at a target of 15. Failure means that the opponents are stuck in a slapstick routine, punching/hitting/kicking/eye-poking each other for the remainder of the melee round. Targets may, even failing a saving throw, continue to attack in the combat round, but they do so with -2 penalties to all combat actions. This requires the use of 1 melee action.

2. The character can cause opponents to lose control of their ability to speak properly, mispronouncing words and speaking much like Curly would. Popular phrases are "Coitainly!", "Hey Moe!", "Oh - wiseguy!", and "Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!". This can be a real pain against magic users and those with powers that require verbal activations, as this makes spellcasting impossible. Targets are allowed a saving throw vs. mind control at a target of 15, with failure meaning the target is stuck speaking in this way for 1d4 melee rounds. The character must spend 2 melee actions to perform this act.

3. The character can cause an opponent to perform a slapstick dance routine, characterized by running in place and slapping oneself repeatedly on the forehead. This is the actual "Curly Shuffle" dance that was popularized in the 80s (see: The Knuckleheads, The Curly Shuffle). Targets are again allowed a saving throw vs. mind control at a target of 15, with failure meaning the target is stuck doing this dance for 1d4 melee rounds, and all combat actions for the target are done at a penalty of -2 for the duration. This requires the use of 2 melee actions.

Range for this power is line of sight to 100 yards. Targets who make their saving throw are completely unaffected, and cannot be targeted by the portion this power that they saved against for 24 hours.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Senator Cybus wrote:So, basically, there's enough powers and other content there to make Powers Unlimited 4-14? :-)

Yup. There are enough powers to fill dozens of books.

Senator Cybus wrote:Well, I've been a bit lazy recently, and some powers I've held back from posting there while I tweaked them or waited for more feedback, but yeah, officially, I'm still posting. :) Actually, I'll post the most recent ones up now, before I forget.

Any thoughts on my latest powers? Spare Tyre, I'll admit, is sort of a gag power, but still viable, I think...

I like Spare Tyre quite a bit. I don't generally post a response to powers written unless criticizing them or I think one of the powers is exceptional, and even then I have not been saying much.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Severus Snape wrote:
Senator Cybus wrote:Any thoughts on my latest powers? Spare Tyre, I'll admit, is sort of a gag power, but still viable, I think...

Curly Shuffle (minor)
Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk...

The character with this power has the ability to force opponents to do several oddball things in the style of The Three Stooges:

1. The character can make opponents perform slapstick routines to slap, punch, eye-poke, etc., each other, thereby distracting them from attacking the character. Targets are allowed a saving throw vs. mind control, at a target of 15. Failure means that the opponents are stuck in a slapstick routine, punching/hitting/kicking/eye-poking each other for the remainder of the melee round. Targets may, even failing a saving throw, continue to attack in the combat round, but they do so with -2 penalties to all combat actions. This requires the use of 1 melee action.

2. The character can cause opponents to lose control of their ability to speak properly, mispronouncing words and speaking much like Curly would. Popular phrases are "Coitainly!", "Hey Moe!", "Oh - wiseguy!", and "Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!". This can be a real pain against magic users and those with powers that require verbal activations, as this makes spellcasting impossible. Targets are allowed a saving throw vs. mind control at a target of 15, with failure meaning the target is stuck speaking in this way for 1d4 melee rounds. The character must spend 2 melee actions to perform this act.

3. The character can cause an opponent to perform a slapstick dance routine, characterized by running in place and slapping oneself repeatedly on the forehead. This is the actual "Curly Shuffle" dance that was popularized in the 80s (see: The Knuckleheads, The Curly Shuffle). Targets are again allowed a saving throw vs. mind control at a target of 15, with failure meaning the target is stuck doing this dance for 1d4 melee rounds, and all combat actions for the target are done at a penalty of -2 for the duration. This requires the use of 2 melee actions.

Range for this power is line of sight to 100 yards. Targets who make their saving throw are completely unaffected, and cannot be targeted by the portion this power that they saved against for 24 hours.

I think most of us have done our share of gag powers at one time or another. This power would be exceptionally annoying.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Severus Snape wrote:

Curly Shuffle (minor)
Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk...

I think most of us have done our share of gag powers at one time or another. This power would be exceptionally annoying.

That's what I was going for. There's all kinds of powers out there that mess with character and/or bad guys, and as I was listening to the song AND reading Spare Tyre, I thought this might make a great gag power. But after reading it, I think it has merit. Imagine: you're fighting against a spellcaster, and they are kicking your butt. You finally get them with the portion of the power that makes them mumble garbage for the rest of the round, rendering them useless.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Senator Cybus wrote:Out of interest, does anyone have an idea just how many powers there are in the Vault?

I really have no clue. Iczer has well over 1200, and my list of powers is about half that. Are you still posting your powers over to the vault, Senator?

There are a total of 3,470 "pages" over at the Black Vault.
Figure about 100-200 or so are non-power pages or "directory" pages.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
taalismn
Priest

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

There are a total of 3,470 "pages" over at the Black Vault.
Figure about 100-200 or so are non-power pages or "directory" pages.

Gives yah a real feeling of awe basking in all that 'power', no? :clown:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

The Black Vault has so many powers now, there is no way you could ever use them all.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

is it time for another post yet?

Batts
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Iczer wrote:is it time for another post yet?

Batts

I am up to date on posting all your powers over to the wiki, so we're good to go for more of your powers, if that is what you mean.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

cool. Give me a day or so.

Batts
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

iczer, I was looking at one of your powers,
Omni energy expulsion [Major] by Iczer

'Hmmm....flame resistant, energy resistant...let's try electricity'

The character has the ability to project rays and beams of energy. Unlike lesser energy expulsion abilities, the character can vary the energy so expelled, with more choices becoming avialablke at greater levels of experience, along with greater skill.

1) Energy blast. The character can fire blasts of raw, undifferentiated energy. this blast does 3D6 damage +1D6 per level of experience, and has a range of 300 feet, plus 100 feet per level.

The character selects another of the following energy types at levels 2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12 and 14. Fire/heat (selected twice becomes plasma) Electricity (selected twice becomes ionic), Laser (taken twice becomes particle beam), sonic, vibration and cold.

2) Energy Blast combat: The character has developed a unique form of ranged combat that augments his ability with the energy blast above.

.....snip....

Rapid shot: The character's attack is reduced to 1D6 per level, but the attack fires off like a submachine gun. the character fire these blasts in short, medium or long bursts.

The question I have does 'Rapid shot' do the same damage at any level of hero. Or I am reading it wrong.
"...this blast does 3D6 damage +1D6 per level of experience..."
"...character's attack is reduced to 1D6 per level..."

At level 3 you do 3D6 [base damage is 3D6 + 3D6 for level 3 - 3D6 for being level 3] and at level 10 [base damage is 3D6 + 10D6 for level 3 - 10D6 for being level 10], you would still be doing 3D6 in damage?
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Geo-siphon [Major]
'Excuse me..I have to ground myself'

The character can tap into the earth itself, and draw geo-thermal energy to the fore.
1) Plant self. Most of the sub abilities of this power rely on the character being in contact with the ground and drawing heat energy from the earth itself. when on open ground (that is, when touching natural stone, earth, rock or concrete and on gorund level) the character can 'root' himeslf to the earth. Planting himeslf in this manner requires an action to perform, and when done, he is immovable (as per the power..Immovability). a Force greater than a supernatural PS equal to the character's PE (plus 2 per level) is required to move him. unlike the immovability power, the character is required to be touching the earth (as described) and is required to expend an action per round maintaining the link. while touching the ground, he is unable to dodge effectively (-6) and is, of course, unable to move.
2) draw on heat: while planted as described above, the character can pull heat from the planet's core for a variety of effects.
* Can fire an energy (Heat) blast from his hands out to 90 feet (Plus 15 feet per level) inflicting 1D4x10 damage (+2 per level) with a +3 to strike.
* Can create a blazing 'hot zone' around himself. this hotzone extends for 12 feet in all directions (plus 3 feet per level) and has a temperature of around 200 degrees farenheight. Touching the character during this time will result in burns (3D6 damage) and most projectiles will be melted and scorched upon contact (half damage) maintaining the hot zone requires the character expend 1 extra action per melee round.
* The character can simply explode. by expending all actions for the round, the character can simply unleash a wave of force and heat. the explosion deals 2D4x10 damage (plus 5 per level) to all targets within 30 feet and a further 1D4x10 damage to a further 20 feet. The character is unharmed by this explosion, but is stunned for the following round (no appreciable actions for the round but can defend himself as per normal) and is no longer planted in the earth (mostly, the explosive force blows out the ground he's attached to.
3) other benefits: while planted the character enjoys 30 SDC, and extraordinary strength (+6) and has a natural AR of 10. he is immune to fire, heat, plasma and lasers while planted (Half damage normally) Poisonous fumes from lava and magma are as clean air to this character who can breathe them normally.
4) SDC bonus: 3D6+6 bonus SDC

Insomnia [Minor]
'You are feeeling very sleepy....soon anyway'

The character can muddle with a target's brain, altering subtly the balance of neurochemicals involved with, and connected to sleep.
Range: 60 feet, but target must be within line of sight, or a 20 foot radius.
Duration: Varies.
Actions: one target requires 1 action, while an area effect requires 2
Saving throw: 16+ PE bonuses apply.
Effect: when first affected by this power, targets become a little drowsy. and a little less alert. reduce initiative by 1, skill performance by 5% and perception by 3.
if they fail their saving throw, their brain chemistry unbalances a little further. they undergo the equivilant of 2D6 hours without sleep.
The first time this happens there will be little noticable effect. after three or four uses, the target begins to be 6-48 hours behind on his sleep.
The effects of sleep deprivation vary from person to person, and are covered with some comprehensiveness in the heroes unlimited GM's guide (Page 46-47).
In summary: 48 hours without sleep: reduce spd by 20% -15% to skills -2 init -1 dodge
72 hours without sleep: PB-2 MA-2 -1 attack -4 init -2 strike and parry -3 dodge reduce spd by 40%, and the character is constantly exhausted
4-7 days without sleep: halve PB and MA, limited to 2 attacks per melee, saving throws and combat bonuses are limited to +1. no initiative, reduce speed by 70%. extremely fatigued (resting for 10 minutes for every 5 minutes of exertion)
more than 7 days without sleep: one attack per melee speed is at 10% normal and skill performance is tanked (10% max) no combat bonuses. character hallucinates and will be forgetful.
9 days: character simply passes out and remains that way for 5D6+30 hours.
because this power tinkers directly with the brain chemistry, targets normally resistant to sleep deprivation are still affected normally. targets with alter metabolism can function normally through normal use of that power.
The character is immune to his own power, but needs a normal amount of sleep himself.

Newbody: [Major]
'I feel like a new man....'

The character has a number of 'alter egos' lying in wait, granting him access to a number of superior power sets.
At first level, the character posesses 3 alter ego's. Each alter ego has the character's mental attributes (but possibly different personalities) and a PB attribute of 3D6. All remaining attributes are a 12 for each alter ego. Each alter Ego has 30 SDC of its own, but all alter ego's share the character's HP.
Each alter ego has all the character's skills, but not the requisite physical development. Training in acrobatics for the character means that all alter egos would gain the bonus to roll with punch, and the ability to perform backflips, but not the PP bonus for instance. when the character gains new skills, he can learn new physical skills in his later ego form rather than his own.
In addition, each alter ego has one major or 3 minor powers, each determine drandomly, and a +2D4 to any one statistic. If the character is a mutant, he may have new, the same or no mutations for each alter ego. If an experiment, he may choose to have his alter ego be devoid of any side effects.

It takes 5 minutes of concentration to change from one alter ego to another. The change does not include clothing changes, and if body types are radically different, the clothing may become uncomfortable. By changing to an alter ego, the character gains a new saving throw to remove poisons, or undo the deletrious effects of other powers (new saving throw). the character can concentrate on the change even if posessed (as long as he is 'aware' during said posession) allowing a new saving throw vs posession with the new body.

at levels 3,6,9,12 and 15 the character gains a new, additional alter ego.

Spineless:
[Minor]
'You know...people keep saying i have no backbone like that's a bad thing'

The character posesses no spine, instead posessing flexible and powerfull muscles and organs that perform the same functions. The character is extremely flexible in the back and neck, even able to twist 200 degrees and bend completely in half. this grants the following abilities.
+4 to roll with punch/fall/impact
+2 PP
+10% to acrobatics, prowl, escape artist and gymnastics
+2 dodge
Cannot sustain a broken back or broken neck (the worst is a bad sprain)

Batts
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

abtex wrote:iczer, I was looking at one of your powers,
Omni energy expulsion [Major] by Iczer

'Hmmm....flame resistant, energy resistant...let's try electricity'

The character has the ability to project rays and beams of energy. Unlike lesser energy expulsion abilities, the character can vary the energy so expelled, with more choices becoming avialablke at greater levels of experience, along with greater skill.

1) Energy blast. The character can fire blasts of raw, undifferentiated energy. this blast does 3D6 damage +1D6 per level of experience, and has a range of 300 feet, plus 100 feet per level.

The character selects another of the following energy types at levels 2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12 and 14. Fire/heat (selected twice becomes plasma) Electricity (selected twice becomes ionic), Laser (taken twice becomes particle beam), sonic, vibration and cold.

2) Energy Blast combat: The character has developed a unique form of ranged combat that augments his ability with the energy blast above.

.....snip....

Rapid shot: The character's attack is reduced to 1D6 per level, but the attack fires off like a submachine gun. the character fire these blasts in short, medium or long bursts.

The question I have does 'Rapid shot' do the same damage at any level of hero. Or I am reading it wrong.
"...this blast does 3D6 damage +1D6 per level of experience..."
"...character's attack is reduced to 1D6 per level..."

At level 3 you do 3D6 [base damage is 3D6 + 3D6 for level 3 - 3D6 for being level 3] and at level 10 [base damage is 3D6 + 10D6 for level 3 - 10D6 for being level 10], you would still be doing 3D6 in damage?

Hmmmm....

summary:
Normal energy blast. Ted is a 3rd level mutant. his normal energy blast inflicts 6D6 damage. He decides he's going to unleash a burst fire attack (short burst). he now only inflicts 1D6 damage per level (so 3D6 damage). this rapid shot follows all normal burst fire rules (so x2 damage for a short burst. lower bonus to hit as a burst, can spray an area uses a different amount of attacks etc.

Were he 5th level, he'd be inflicting 8D6 damage normally or 5D6 using rapid shot. (1D6 per level) The key phrase is, as highlighted above '.....is reduced to 1D6 per level...' not reduced BY 1D6 per level.

That said..it seems more powerfull done like that. I may look into it.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Ok Just wondering. I misread it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Newbody seems a bit overly powerful, but I suppose it is balanced out somehow. I really liked Spineless, as it reminded me of some of the types of powers I was doing at one point. Maybe we can see a Major version of Spineless?
I REALLY need to get back in the swing of things and write some more powers myself...
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Newbody is balanced by the lengthy wait (5 minutes is labourious in a combat zone) and that the new body's aren't nearly as powerful as the original (lower attributes, very base SDC). having access to new powers is good and all, but your primary self loses a major power (and that's a major investment). True, the new bodies have their own powers, but they are usually less than another hero, and the powers are random (or..they should be)

It can lead to abuse of course, but what power can't really (refer if you will to the energy conversion thread)

Spineless, as a major, would be on par with stretching really, the other super flexible power, and the minor was derived from that.

More powers on the way

Batts
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

16 days without New Powers posting?
Are there only powers based on withdraw or panic attack?

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

It is not unusual for this thread to go a month without new posts. As for the powers question, I am not sure.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Neurovision; [Minor]
'I know how you think, and knowledge is power'

The character can see the neural energy inside a living being. Mostly, this is the brain, but it includes the network of nerves in a living body.
when looking at a living being within about 60 feet, the character can determine the individual's;
* IQ, ME and MA
* Presence of psionic powers
* general education level (and has a 30% +5% per level chance of identifying the highest skill a target has)
* Alignment
* awake or asleep (sometimes an important distinction)

In addition, the character can see these neurological patterns in pitch blackness and through smoke and mist, in short, able to see and defend himself against invisible and shrouded opponentns (though fog and smoke obfuscate these signals after 30 or so feet)

The character recognises the difference between human and non human nervous systems, and has a small chance (30% +5% per level) of recognising a familiar 'brain'

Speed of fear: [Minor]
"oh damn.. oh damn..ohdamn ohdamn ohdm ohdm odmodmodmodm'

The character gains heightened abilities wheil experiencing fear, anxiety or terror.
If the character fails a saving throw vs HF, or is subjected to a spell, psionic ability or superpower that invokes fear, his adrenal system overcompensates by accellerating his metabolism. In these instances, the character gains the following bonuses.
* Multiply Spd by 5. (If he posesses a speed superpower, then multiply that speed instead by 2)
* +6 initiative
* Auto dodge at +6
* +2 attacks per melee round, but the character will only use this in order to fend off an attacker that has otherwise cornered him.

These bonuses persist until the character overcomes his fear (an effect ends for instance, but also if removed from the fearfull circumstance).
The character can attempt to trigger the fear response himself. He must state a reasonable reason for being fearful and it must be justifiable (invulnerable characters are not frightened of guns for isntance). if so the character gains the listed bonuses, but must make a saving throw each round (14+ ME bonuses apply) or lose them (this heightened response is hard to maintain)

Borrow Aura: [Major]
'Excuse me General..I need your expertise and I don't have enough time to coerce you'

The character can photocopy a person's memory and personality and store the imprint for later, overlaying it over his own in order to gain access to their skills and reflexes.
1) absorb aura. all it takes is a touch and 2 actions. this can be parried as normal. the character can keep one 'aura' in memory per level, plus 1 for every 5 points of IQ. Aura's usually last about 6 months before degrading
2) Use aura: the character can grab a memorised aura and overlay it over his own. this process takes 1 melee round to perform.
when wearing the aura of another person, the character gains the target's HTH skills (at one level lower) and knows all the target's skills at -15%. He also has access to all the target's memories (though it's hard to filter all that information: it takes one melee round per specific 'fact' to uncover and the memories are foggy. only 75% accuracy, 30% if the target was unwilling to be copied)
3) Consult aura: the captured and copied aura can be 'consulted' for advice. this takes a minute to set up, and the character can then 'talk' to his copy. If the copy is hostile then it will simply refuse, but otherwise the copy will advise as it feels necessary

Mental accelleration: [Minor]
'I Need this....I need to be better'

The character can cause his brain to operate at a greatly accellerated pace, at the expense of his own health.
Duration: 10 minutes plus 5 minutes per level.
Actions: it takes one melee round to 'turn it on' but requires no actions.
Effects: add +10 to IQ +5 to ME and MA. The character also gains +2 to saving throws vs psionics, +1 attack per melee, +4 to perception, +2 to strike/parry/dodge and a flat +20% to all skills. His faster thought speed allows him to do purely mental actions at 5 times normal speed.
Drawbacks: when the effect ends the character crashes, and crashes hard. he loses the listed bonuses and immeadiately becomes tired (-1 attack, -1 to all combat actions) and suffers headaches that impair performance (-10% to all skills) and loses 1D4 HP.
While accellerated, the character also loses all mental illnesses (does not suffer the effects, is suddenly sane)
Other bonuses: +1D4 to IQ, ME and MA. Is naturally smart.

Read genetics: [Minor]
'Hmmm you look like Cassandra, but your DNA reads you as an alien imposter!'

The character can 'taste' a target's DNA. By simply tasting a target, either them or their blood, the character can determine the target's;
* gender and species
* relationship to another 'tasted' DNA
* presence of genetic conditions

The character also posesses an enhanced sense of taste (as per the minor power)

Plant affinity: [Minor]
'You think you have me trapped in here. You are dead wrong'

The character can use the presence of plant life as a booster for his own senses. while in the presence of plantlife, the character posesses a full 360 degree sensory system for 90 feet (or until the limit of any plant life) plus 10 feet per level.
If surrounded by plant life, the character enjoys a +2 to dodge and parry, and has +4 initiative. furthermore he has a +20% to prowl in area's of abundant plant life.
The character can also borrow the senses of nearby plants. he can tell what the local soil conditions are like, the location of any water sources, the condition of local plant life and any plant related diseases. the character gains +20% to ID plants and fruits and botany.

Batts
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Thank you Iczer

Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

abtex wrote:Thank you Iczer

I'm not quite sure what for but....No problem.

Batts
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Iczer wrote:Borrow Aura: [Major]
'Excuse me General..I need your expertise and I don't have enough time to coerce you'

The character can photocopy a person's memory and personality and store the imprint for later, overlaying it over his own in order to gain access to their skills and reflexes.
1) absorb aura. all it takes is a touch and 2 actions. this can be parried as normal. the character can keep one 'aura' in memory per level, plus 1 for every 5 points of IQ. Aura's usually last about 6 months before degrading
2) Use aura: the character can grab a memorised aura and overlay it over his own. this process takes 1 melee round to perform.
when wearing the aura of another person, the character gains the target's HTH skills (at one level lower) and knows all the target's skills at -15%. He also has access to all the target's memories (though it's hard to filter all that information: it takes one melee round per specific 'fact' to uncover and the memories are foggy. only 75% accuracy, 30% if the target was unwilling to be copied)
3) Consult aura: the captured and copied aura can be 'consulted' for advice. this takes a minute to set up, and the character can then 'talk' to his copy. If the copy is hostile then it will simply refuse, but otherwise the copy will advise as it feels necessary.

Is there a duration to the aura's use? I understand he "remembers" it for about 6 months [I think that is too long IMHO], but when the PC activates the aura, how long will it last?
Is there a save to resist ones aura from being copied? Would psychics be more resistant to this?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Iczer wrote:Borrow Aura: [Major]

3) Consult aura: the captured and copied aura can be 'consulted' for advice. this takes a minute to set up, and the character can then 'talk' to his copy. If the copy is hostile then it will simply refuse, but otherwise the copy will advise as it feels necessary.

Is there a duration to the aura's use? I understand he "remembers" it for about 6 months [I think that is too long IMHO], but when the PC activates the aura, how long will it last?
Is there a save to resist ones aura from being copied? Would psychics be more resistant to this?

good questions, (and more proof I need to edit these things before I press 'submit')

Errata: Duration: an aura can be maintained only for a limited amount of time before the strain of multiple personalities becomes too much. The Character can maintain the power for one melee round per point of ME he posesses. after that the toll becomes too great. beyond the normal time frame, the strain of keeping his desires and the target's skills drains the character, causing him to lose 10% from all skill use and suffer -2 to all combat rolls (including damage) and -1 attack per melee. these penalties vanish if the aura is released, but recalling that aura within the next hour causes them to return. Judicious use of consult aura (#3) can arrange for the selected aura to behave more docile, and can extend this duration to one hour per level (as can the copied persoonality of a loved one or friend)
Errata: Saving throw: None originally (It's technically harmless) but it fails against targets that are heavilly electromagnetically shielded, and against targets with an active mind block.
The copied personality may express it's distaste at being copied and has it's own asaving throw. each copied aura has a saving throw bonus Vs posession equal to the same bonus as the original. Each time the aura is accessed, the copy may (if it is so inclined) make a saving throw vs Posession. if successful, the character still has normal access to the coppied aura's skills and memories, but the aura's duration is reduced by one month (with enough overuse, an aura may dissapear many months before it's time)

Batts
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

This additional errata does help flesh out the power. I guess I must have skimmed over the power when quickly adding it to the wiki to not have noticed the omission of such content. The errata has been added to the Borrow Aura wiki entry.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”