NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: NEW POWERS!

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

OmegaKnight Dog wrote:No WE want power that is only about CHAINSAWS coming out the back of the wrist like claws, but thxs anyway for that...

So you want "Weapons Limbs: Chainsaws"?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

taalismn wrote:Annoyance Factor(Minor)
“That’s cool, Captain Stupendous! Real cool! Can you show me more? I wanna see more! Say, can you do this? See what I can do! What do you think of this?! Tell me what you think! You’re real cool, Captain, you know that? You’re my favorite! What do you think are the coolest powers? Who do you think’s better than you? Who do you like more? What’s the best super-vehicle? Huh? Huh? Tell me more! I wanna see more! Moar! Moar!“(ad nauseum)
....snip.

The first though I had was that for those beings with an Awe Factor (and HF) would have a penalty to save vs this power. Maybe losing their 'factors' while annoyed.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
“That’s cool, Captain Stupendous! Real cool! Can you show me more? I wanna see more! Say, can you do this? See what I can do! What do you think of this?! Tell me what you think! You’re real cool, Captain, you know that? You’re my favorite! What do you think are the coolest powers? Who do you think’s better than you? Who do you like more? What’s the best super-vehicle? Huh? Huh? Tell me more! I wanna see more! Moar! Moar!“(ad nauseum)
....snip.

The first though I had was that for those beings with an Awe Factor (and HF) would have a penalty to save vs this power. Maybe losing their 'factors' while annoyed.
Good idea there. I'll have to add it as one of the penalties. :ok:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

OmegaKnight Dog wrote:Yes Weapons Limbs: Chainsaws that sounds nice yes...

Alter Limbs [corebook] I believe allows this.
Also, Techno-Form [Powers Unlimited 3?] could allow for this.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

OmegaKnight Dog wrote:No WE want power that is only about CHAINSAWS coming out the back of the wrist like claws, but thxs anyway for that...
*Sigh* I'll see what I can do. But I ain't promisin' nuthin'...
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
....snip.

*Sigh* You guys really love making me have to keep editing these powers in the wiki...
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
....snip.

*Sigh* You guys really love making me have to keep editing these powers in the wiki...

Sorry...Some of us frequently post to GET pointers and input on concepts, in case they need fine tuning, reality checks, and statements of the obvious("The Emporer's naked!", "That's not a miniature poodle, it's a RAT!", or "The tartan suit doesn't go with the dayglo windbreaker"). Some of us don't have captive test audiences sequestered away in isolation labs to run our ideas by first. :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

OmegaKnight Dog wrote:Hey if we have powers can I put them on this site and they make it to The Black Vault one day...

Anyone is free to post as they see fit. And if I have permission to post them to the wiki, I will. :D (Or you could actually sign up on the Black Vault Wiki and post them there yourself, saving me the work).

Taalismn wrote:Sorry...Some of us frequently post to GET pointers and input on concepts, in case they need fine tuning, reality checks, and statements of the obvious("The Emporer's naked!", "That's not a miniature poodle, it's a RAT!", or "The tartan suit doesn't go with the dayglo windbreaker"). Some of us don't have captive test audiences sequestered away in isolation labs to run our ideas by first.
I know, I just have been jumping the gun to get stuff posted. It comes with having limited online time since I have to get online at the library these days and only am online about three hours a day.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Scorpion_Freeman wrote:What is the name is there is one of the power that has to do with fur in the Black Vault?

Using the handy dandy search feature of The Black Vault, I got this.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[
I know, I just have been jumping the gun to get stuff posted. It comes with having limited online time since I have to get online at the library these days and only am online about three hours a day.[/quote]

Ah...if only you came to MY libraries; most of the patrons I deal with are gambling online, or Facebooking.... :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Ah...if only you came to MY libraries; most of the patrons I deal with are gambling online, or Facebooking.... :P

I spend a great deal of time on facebook when I have nothing better to do...
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:Ah...if only you came to MY libraries; most of the patrons I deal with are gambling online, or Facebooking.... :P

Does jamming my foot in my mouth up to the hip count as a Minor or a Major Power?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Does jamming my foot in my mouth up to the hip count as a Minor or a Major Power?

Jam foot into mouht to hip [Minor]
"iwgh wuunt du du dih ahs a muhnuhr"

The character can jam one of his feet into his mouth all the way to the hip, essentially becoming a one legged ball of human with a pair of arms and a back ache.
1) gastrointestinal tolerance: the character is immune to bacteria attached to his own feet and legs. No matter how much tinea he currently has, he suffers no discomfort from swallowing his own leg. On a related note, he is adept at swallowing objects shaped like a human legs and foot.
2) Inhuman flexibility: the character has a special triple action hip and knee, allwoing him to curve it through and down his intestinal tract. Pushing his foot down his throat requires only a single action.
3) inhuman balance (on one leg) the character enjoys a +30% (or +6) to all checks to maintain balance (or walk high wires). After all he is still able to stand while gagging on his own foot.
4)Spit-Kick: if the character has his foot in his mouth, he may disgorge it, onto a target. This does normal kick damage but the target is also pelted with gastrointestinal juices...which is just gross. Possibly a saving throw may be required.
5) other notes: Speaking is near impossible while the leg is shoved down the throat, but the character can mumble apologies and retractions coherantly. Spd is reduced by 50% with one leg down. and he looks funny.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

LOL: the most popular power ever
taalismn
Priest

Iczer wrote:[
Jam foot into mouht to hip [Minor]
"iwgh wuunt du du dih ahs a muhnuhr"

The character can jam one of his feet into his mouth all the way to the hip, essentially becoming a one legged ball of human with a pair of arms and a back ache.
1) gastrointestinal tolerance: the character is immune to bacteria attached to his own feet and legs. No matter how much tinea he currently has, he suffers no discomfort from swallowing his own leg. On a related note, he is adept at swallowing objects shaped like a human legs and foot.
2) Inhuman flexibility: the character has a special triple action hip and knee, allwoing him to curve it through and down his intestinal tract. Pushing his foot down his throat requires only a single action.
3) inhuman balance (on one leg) the character enjoys a +30% (or +6) to all checks to maintain balance (or walk high wires). After all he is still able to stand while gagging on his own foot.
4)Spit-Kick: if the character has his foot in his mouth, he may disgorge it, onto a target. This does normal kick damage but the target is also pelted with gastrointestinal juices...which is just gross. Possibly a saving throw may be required.
5) other notes: Speaking is near impossible while the leg is shoved down the throat, but the character can mumble apologies and retractions coherantly. Spd is reduced by 50% with one leg down. and he looks funny.

Batts

Thank you very much. So if I ever have to resort to -cannibalism-, I wouldn't have any trouble with drumsticks homo sap?

I would suggest a 'What The Hell...?' factor equiv. to the person's P.B. with regards to reaction to seeing somebody in that position. :-D :shock:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Absolutely the most common power in all of Washington DC :lol:
taalismn
Priest

AlanGunhouse wrote:Absolutely the most common power in all of Washington DC :lol:

The problem is, as a Character Class, Politicians automatically buy off the 'cannot speak coherently' part.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
AlanGunhouse
Champion

taalismn wrote:
AlanGunhouse wrote:Absolutely the most common power in all of Washington DC :lol:

The problem is, as a Character Class, Politicians automatically buy off the 'cannot speak coherently' part.

Here I thought they had it as a class limit already :wink:
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

OmegaKnight Dog wrote:
Is there a power somewhere that gives you the ability to pop out a pair of bio-organic CHAINSAWS (like claws) if yes where, if no can someone here please make one THXS...

No WE want power that is only about CHAINSAWS coming out the back of the wrist like claws, but thxs anyway for that...

This will do for starters, but if it is alright WE are going to changed it little ok cause We we're looking the super power form of the lead character of THE MAD WORLD VIDEO GAME for THE Wii...

P.S. That power is still hell-a good for someone who was not trying hard THXS again WE congratulate you...

See now that you are admitting that you are looking for a conversion, I am going to have to nix this power request and remove the posted power from the boards.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

OmegaKnight Dog wrote:Does that mean that the power is gone forever WE wanted to use it as a Minor version...

We were just going to add a few thing and make a Major version if that ok with Stone G, so please do not do away with the power forever...

P.S.: Can people read my posts here I was just thinking about that cause I'm getting alot of bad stuff said about me and I'm sorry my English is not that good and I will try harder to do better in the future ok...

NMI is the final say on what can be posted on the boards. Since it was removed, I cannot ask what changes you would have made, which I would have liked to, nor can I post the variations I was thinking up, nor my own Major version of the power. Way to harsh my buzz...
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

OmegaKnight Dog wrote:So should I lie here to keep powers on the boards, cause if so I can't do that...
Can you please PM me your chainsaw variations of this power please WE would like that alot ok...

Generally admitting to wanting a conversion done is not a good idea. IF (and it is a very big IF) I do any variants, I will PM you with them.
This really annoys me, though. You have essentially made it so any and all chainsaw related powers have been effectively banned on the boards and in the Black Vault wiki for the foreseeable future.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Video Game View (Major)

"I am Captain N! Or maybe one of the Tron guys, I haven't decided yet..."

This ability allows the super being to become a character in a computer game - in his own head, at least. In truth, the hero is still in our reality and the only actual change is in his perception: he sees bystanders as video game characters and his surroundings as computer generated scenes that fade to pixelated shapes on the far horizon, and all of it overlaid with constantly updating graphics that feed him information on this ’virtual’ environment.

1. HUD. The Heads Up Display. The super being sees stylised images and lines of data superimposed over his view of the world, supplying the following information:

Health Counter. This graphic indicates the character‘s state of well being - this is vital, as the hero cannot feel pain while in Video Game View (see Bonuses below) and needs some way to gauge how badly he is being injured in combat.

In addition to letting the super being keep track of general damage, the health counter will also indicate if he is being affected by poison, disease, high levels of radiation, temperature extremes or magical curses. The health counter won’t indicate the source of such unusual effects or their exact nature (it can‘t identify a specific poison, for example), merely that they are harming the hero.

Mini Map. A basic map, that helps the hero navigate and keep track of important details.

In close-up mode, the super being sees an overhead schematic of the area within a radius of 30 feet (9 m), detailed enough to reveal the layouts of roads and buildings, complete with the location of any doors and windows. Allies will show up as dots on the map, as will most opponents - enemies that are unaware of the hero or that have made no effort to conceal themselves can be tracked in this way, even if behind a wall or other solid structure, preventing them from using sneak attacks. However, opponents who have deliberately hidden or disguised themselves (whether through conventional or magical/psionic/super-powered means) will not show up until they choose to reveal themselves, meaning that they can get the drop on the hero, though they can then be tracked normally.

In overland mode, the map shows an area within a radius of approximately two miles (3.2 km), but this is far less detailed, showing only basic terrain features (lakes, mountain ranges, etc) and the positions of nearby cities/large towns, though this is still accurate enough to grant a bonus of +20% to the Land Navigation skill. Furthermore, if the super being is trying to find a specific location, a directional arrow will appear on the overland map to point the way, increasing the bonus to the Land Navigation skill to a full +40%.

Targeting Sights. Cross-hairs are superimposed over the character’s vision, granting a bonus of +2 to strike with any ranged weapon, modern or ancient.

Ammo Counter. If the hero is using any firearm, the Ammo Counter will pop up, displaying the amount of ammunition currently in his gun and the total amount carried by the character.

Enemy Health Counter. Just as the Health Counter helps the super being keep track of his own injuries, this graphic allows the super being to monitor the vitality of his opponents. This gives him a general idea of how injured an adversary really is (either uninjured, slightly injured, badly injured, critically injured or dead). This means that a severely weakened opponent cannot bluff the hero by pretending to be at full power, nor can a healthy foe get the character to drop his guard by feigning weakness or playing dead.

Note: the super being can choose exactly how information is presented by the HUD. For example, his health counter may be in the form of a gradually decreasing bar in the corner of his vision, or depicted by a change in ambient colours when injured (a gradual fading of colour, the character’s ‘screen’ slowly turning to red, etc), or whatever he imagines.

2. Weapon Selection. The super being can equip or switch between any weapons he’s carrying in an instant, regardless of where on his person a chosen weapon is located, or how well it is secured or hidden. The desired weapon simply appears in the character’s hand, so fast that it doesn’t even count as a melee action. Modern firearms always appear fully loaded with the safety off, ready to fire.

Additionally, suggesting that this power is not purely psychological in nature, the super being is always equipped with a pair of brass knuckles (1D6 damage + P.S. bonus, if applicable). If no other weapon is available to him when combat begins, or if he just prefers to use the brass knuckles, they will instantly appear on the character’s hands. They can neither be taken or given away nor permanently destroyed, as they will just reappear on the hero’s person a moment later.

Limitations: The character must already be carrying weapons to use this ability, it does not magically create them (with the exception of the brass knuckles). Furthermore, it does not supply free bullets; the hero must have sufficient ammunition on his person for his guns to appear fully loaded.

3. Pause. When the ’game’ becomes too intense, the super being can pause the action for a few valuable moments to gather his thoughts. In reality, time has not actually stopped; instead, the character experiences an incredible acceleration of his mental processes for a fraction of a second, which from his perspective makes it seem as if the world has been put on hold.

The character cannot affect the situation around him in any way during this time, as the pause is just in his head, but he can use the brief respite to plan, reconsider a course of action or to study what’s happening in the local vicinity (though only right in front of him; his viewpoint is frozen for as long as the pause lasts).

Each pause can last for up to one (subjective) minute per level of experience, though the hero can resume the action at any time he chooses, and the ability can be used a number of times per game session equal to the character’s experience level.

4. Boss Fight. When facing a particularly powerful adversary (in game terms, anyone with a Power Category and an experience level exceeding the character’s own), the super being will experience a brief vision: he will witness a cinematic sequence inside his mind that dramatically introduces his opponent and provides a clue as to their abilities, weaknesses or immediate goals.

For example, an unknown mutant with Energy Expulsion: Electricity might appear with bolts of current crackling menacingly along their arms, or, if facing an invulnerable opponent, the hero may find his viewpoint changing, the camera of his mind’s eye pulling out to reveal a nearby deep lake/swamp/mine shaft, potentially providing a way to trap or disable his adversary.

The exact clue provided is at the discretion of the G.M. This ability will never be triggered by opponents equal to or lesser in power than the super being, even if in groups.

5. Bonuses.
+3 to save vs. Horror Factor.
While he has a rudimentary sense of touch when in Video Game View, the character feels no pain: he can exert himself for twice as long before fatiguing and suffers only half the normal penalties for disabling injuries.

6. Limitations & Vulnerabilities.
-4 M.A.; while in Video Game View, the hero will seem strange to outside observers, acting in a mechanical, unemotional way.
-50% to any skills involving a delicate sense of touch.
The super being’s alignment is one level ‘lower’ than normal while in Video Game View, due to a feeling of detachment from the real world. For example, a Scrupulous character would temporarily become Unprincipled and may therefore do things he will later regret.
Switching from a normal perspective to the Video Game View (or vice versa) takes one full melee round, during which time the hero is effectively blind: all he can see is blackness, over which is superimposed the single word ‘Loading…’.

Inverted Immunity (Major)

"Dude, don't bogart the chicken pox."

The super being has a strange adaptation to his immune system - more than just a protection against disease and poison, this ability lets the hero draw power from the contaminants in his body.

Any infection or toxin that the character is exposed to will have the opposite effect to what it should have: a head cold will improve his breathing and make him feel alert and energetic, excessive alcohol will make the hero more coordinated and rational, junk food will lower his cholesterol and so on. The duration of any contamination is unchanged, only the result. Note that the character never has to try to save against disease or poison of any kind; this odd immunity is automatic.

The effect is even more pronounced when the character is exposed to a particularly virulent contaminant - in game terms, anything that would normally result in damage or penalties. The toxin or sickness will restore (or, if the super being is already at full health, temporarily bestow) the amount of S.D.C. it should remove, and/or turn negative modifiers into positive ones. For example, if an opponent with the power of Pestilience (Powers Unlimited Three, page 86) tries to infect the hero with a fever, it will instead temporarily double his speed and initiative, grant two extra melee attacks/actions per round, double his combat bonuses and add a bonus of +30% to all skills.

Any disease or poison that should be instantly fatal will actually fully heal the super being, restoring all S.D.C./Hit Points immediately. Beneficial drugs will not have their reverse effect (so you can’t, for example, give the super being a headache by feeding him aspirin), rather they will have no effect at all - though with the hero’s incredible immune system, he hardly needs the help.

Bonuses:
+2 P.E.
+1 P.B.

Limitations: The character cannot draw strength from diseases or toxins he creates himself (like those produced by the powers of Pestilence or Venomous Attack); he can’t be harmed by them, but they don’t empower him.

Now this next one is best suited for an NPC, maybe even the guy who turns the player characters into super types in the first place, and was inspired by Misfits, arguably the best show on British t.v. right now...

Power Broker (Major)

"You wanna be a hero? No problem - twenty grand."

The character can turn super abilities into commodities, taking and granting powers as he chooses. The catch is that the super being cannot use the powers he deals in, but can give them to allies, henchmen or even paying customers.

1. Scan Powers. As the minor power of the same name (Powers Unlimited 3, page 19); this helps the super being to find potential new clients.

2. Extract Powers. The character can permanently strip other super beings of their powers, but only if they give their informed consent - powers cannot be forcibly removed. However, the super being is free to use any method he likes to persuade others to give up their special gifts: he can pay them, seduce them, use extortion, etc. Power Broker also allows for the removal of Mega-Hero status: the donor loses all benefits of being a Mega-Hero, including Supernatural Strength, special Mega-Powers and any attendant bonuses.

If the character removes all of a donor’s powers, they are then indistinguishable from normal humans (assuming they don’t have some unusual physical trait, like green skin or pointed ears), which can be useful if they wish to temporarily hide their superhuman nature.

After a power has been removed, the super being stores it within himself, being somehow able to capture and contain the essence of that ability. While the character can retain powers indefinitely, there is a limit to how many he can hold at any one time - up to a maximum of two minor powers or one major power per level of experience (Mega-Hero status counts as two major powers). For example, a tenth level character could hold ten major powers, twenty minor powers or any combination of the two. If the character has reached his limit and wishes to get rid of a power in favour of a new acquisition, he must first find someone to give the old power to (see Bestow Powers, below); he cannot simply discard or destroy it.

Power Broker cannot remove the Unusual Characteristics of mutants, experimental side effects, psionic abilities, magic, symbiotes, bionics/cybernetics or learned skills.

Range: Touch.
Damage: None, other than the loss of a power.
Duration: Permanent.
Attacks Per Melee: Removal of powers uses up one full melee round, during which the super being can do nothing else due to the intense concentration involved; if the character is distracted during this time, the attempt fails. The super being can remove either a single power, several powers or all of a donor’s powers in one go, though he must have their express permission to do this.
Saving Throw: None, but a power cannot be removed without the consent of its current owner.

3. Bestow Powers. The super being can grant any power in his inventory to anyone that he chooses. As with the Remove Powers sub-ability, this is permanent - unless the recipient decides to surrender the power at a later time, it is now an intrinsic part of them for the rest of their life.

The bestowed power functions exactly as it did for its original owner, even if they were of a higher level of experience than the recipient, though the power cannot develop further until the recipient catches up to that experience level. For example, a third level character is given a tenth level power with all of the accompanying bonuses and abilities, but those variables are then frozen until that character reaches the eleventh level of experience, at which point the power improves as it normally would.

However, the physiological strain caused by an artificially induced power will permanently reduce the recipient’s Hit Points. Accepting one minor power will reduce the recipient’s total Hit Points by 5%, while accepting a major power will lower their Hit Points by 10% (round fractions up). Multiple powers can be granted, but the Hit Point reduction is doubled for each additional power, e.g. a second minor power lowers the recipient’s total Hit Points by a further 10%, a third minor power lowers Hit Points by another 20% and so on. A power cannot be granted if the accumulated penalty would reduce the recipient’s Hit Points to zero or less (e.g. accepting a fifth major power would incur a penalty of 160% of the recipient‘s Hit Points), as this would represent a fatal overload of the character’s central nervous system. If a bestowed power grants extra Hit Points, these are first added to the character’s own and the percentage penalty is then deducted from the new, total amount.

The above penalties apply to normal humans (including those who fall into one of the non-super ability Power Categories, like Physical Training or Hardware) - beings who already have paranormal abilities (including psychics, bionic characters and aliens) can still be granted powers, but the above penalties are all doubled due to the additional stress placed on their already taxed bodies; e.g. one minor power reduces Hit Points by 10%, a major power reduces the total by 20% and so on.

If a bestowed power is later removed, the Hit Points that were lost are instantly restored. Super beings do not suffer any penalty for taking back a power that was originally theirs to begin with.

Damage: None.
Attacks Per Melee: Bestowing powers uses up one full melee round, during which the super being can do nothing else due to the intense concentration involved; if the character is distracted during this time, the attempt fails. The super being can bestow either a single power or multiple powers simultaneously, whichever he prefers, though he must have the intended recipient’s express permission to do this.
Saving Throw: None, but a power cannot be bestowed without the consent of the intended recipient.
Last edited by Senator Cybus on Thu May 19, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Coming Soon...

Herding, Headcase, Power Nap, a pleasingly odd APS power and, if I can make it work, something weird/useful/icky/sly...
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

What are the powers in terms of majors and minors, Senator? You don't have anything listed for them.
PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

Senator Cybus wrote:Video Game View

Spoiler:
"I am Captain N! Or maybe one of the Tron guys, I haven't decided yet..."

This ability allows the super being to become a character in a computer game - in his own head, at least. In truth, the hero is still in our reality and the only actual change is in his perception: he sees bystanders as video game characters and his surroundings as computer generated scenes that fade to pixelated shapes on the far horizon, and all of it overlaid with constantly updating graphics that feed him information on this ’virtual’ environment.

1. HUD. The Heads Up Display. The super being sees stylised images and lines of data superimposed over his view of the world, supplying the following information:

Health Counter. This graphic indicates the character‘s state of well being - this is vital, as the hero cannot feel pain while in Video Game View (see Bonuses below) and needs some way to gauge how badly he is being injured in combat.

In addition to letting the super being keep track of general damage, the health counter will also indicate if he is being affected by poison, disease, high levels of radiation, temperature extremes or magical curses. The health counter won’t indicate the source of such unusual effects or their exact nature (it can‘t identify a specific poison, for example), merely that they are harming the hero.

Mini Map. A basic map, that helps the hero navigate and keep track of important details.

In close-up mode, the super being sees an overhead schematic of the area within a radius of 30 feet (9 m), detailed enough to reveal the layouts of roads and buildings, complete with the location of any doors and windows. Allies will show up as dots on the map, as will most opponents - enemies that are unaware of the hero or that have made no effort to conceal themselves can be tracked in this way, even if behind a wall or other solid structure, preventing them from using sneak attacks. However, opponents who have deliberately hidden or disguised themselves (whether through conventional or magical/psionic/super-powered means) will not show up until they choose to reveal themselves, meaning that they can get the drop on the hero, though they can then be tracked normally.

In overland mode, the map shows an area within a radius of approximately two miles (3.2 km), but this is far less detailed, showing only basic terrain features (lakes, mountain ranges, etc) and the positions of nearby cities/large towns, though this is still accurate enough to grant a bonus of +20% to the Land Navigation skill. Furthermore, if the super being is trying to find a specific location, a directional arrow will appear on the overland map to point the way, increasing the bonus to the Land Navigation skill to a full +40%.

Targeting Sights. Cross-hairs are superimposed over the character’s vision, granting a bonus of +2 to strike with any ranged weapon, modern or ancient.

Ammo Counter. If the hero is using any firearm, the Ammo Counter will pop up, displaying the amount of ammunition currently in his gun and the total amount carried by the character.

Enemy Health Counter. Just as the Health Counter helps the super being keep track of his own injuries, this graphic allows the super being to monitor the vitality of his opponents. This gives him a general idea of how injured an adversary really is (either uninjured, slightly injured, badly injured, critically injured or dead). This means that a severely weakened opponent cannot bluff the hero by pretending to be at full power, nor can a healthy foe get the character to drop his guard by feigning weakness or playing dead.

Note: the super being can choose exactly how information is presented by the HUD. For example, his health counter may be in the form of a gradually decreasing bar in the corner of his vision, or depicted by a change in ambient colours when injured (a gradual fading of colour, the character’s ‘screen’ slowly turning to red, etc), or whatever he imagines.

2. Weapon Selection. The super being can equip or switch between any weapons he’s carrying in an instant, regardless of where on his person a chosen weapon is located, or how well it is secured or hidden. The desired weapon simply appears in the character’s hand, so fast that it doesn’t even count as a melee action. Modern firearms always appear fully loaded with the safety off, ready to fire.

Additionally, suggesting that this power is not purely psychological in nature, the super being is always equipped with a pair of brass knuckles (1D6 damage + P.S. bonus, if applicable). If no other weapon is available to him when combat begins, or if he just prefers to use the brass knuckles, they will instantly appear on the character’s hands. They can neither be taken or given away nor permanently destroyed, as they will just reappear on the hero’s person a moment later.

Limitations: The character must already be carrying weapons to use this ability, it does not magically create them (with the exception of the brass knuckles). Furthermore, it does not supply free bullets; the hero must have sufficient ammunition on his person for his guns to appear fully loaded.

3. Pause. When the ’game’ becomes too intense, the super being can pause the action for a few valuable moments to gather his thoughts. In reality, time has not actually stopped; instead, the character experiences an incredible acceleration of his mental processes for a fraction of a second, which from his perspective makes it seem as if the world has been put on hold.

The character cannot affect the situation around him in any way during this time, as the pause is just in his head, but he can use the brief respite to plan, reconsider a course of action or to study what’s happening in the local vicinity (though only right in front of him; his viewpoint is frozen for as long as the pause lasts).

Each pause can last for up to one (subjective) minute per level of experience, though the hero can resume the action at any time he chooses, and the ability can be used a number of times per game session equal to the character’s experience level.

4. Boss Fight. When facing a particularly powerful adversary (in game terms, anyone with a Power Category and an experience level exceeding the character’s own), the super being will experience a brief vision: he will witness a cinematic sequence inside his mind that dramatically introduces his opponent and provides a clue as to their abilities, weaknesses or immediate goals.

For example, an unknown mutant with Energy Expulsion: Electricity might appear with bolts of current crackling menacingly along their arms, or, if facing an invulnerable opponent, the hero may find his viewpoint changing, the camera of his mind’s eye pulling out to reveal a nearby deep lake/swamp/mine shaft, potentially providing a way to trap or disable his adversary.

The exact clue provided is at the discretion of the G.M. This ability will never be triggered by opponents equal to or lesser in power than the super being, even if in groups.

5. Bonuses.
+3 to save vs. Horror Factor.
While he has a rudimentary sense of touch when in Video Game View, the character feels no pain: he can exert himself for twice as long before fatiguing and suffers only half the normal penalties for disabling injuries.

6. Limitations & Vulnerabilities.
-4 M.A.; while in Video Game View, the hero will seem strange to outside observers, acting in a mechanical, unemotional way.
-50% to any skills involving a delicate sense of touch.
The super being’s alignment is one level ‘lower’ than normal while in Video Game View, due to a feeling of detachment from the real world. For example, a Scrupulous character would temporarily become Unprincipled and may therefore do things he will later regret.
Switching from a normal perspective to the Video Game View (or vice versa) takes one full melee round, during which time the hero is effectively blind: all he can see is blackness, over which is superimposed the single word ‘Loading…’.

Inverted Immunity

"Dude, don't bogart the chicken pox."

The super being has a strange adaptation to his immune system - more than just a protection against disease and poison, this ability lets the hero draw power from the contaminants in his body.

Any infection or toxin that the character is exposed to will have the opposite effect to what it should have: a head cold will improve his breathing and make him feel alert and energetic, excessive alcohol will make the hero more coordinated and rational, junk food will lower his cholesterol and so on. The duration of any contamination is unchanged, only the result. Note that the character never has to try to save against disease or poison of any kind; this odd immunity is automatic.

The effect is even more pronounced when the character is exposed to a particularly virulent contaminant - in game terms, anything that would normally result in damage or penalties. The toxin or sickness will restore (or, if the super being is already at full health, temporarily bestow) the amount of S.D.C. it should remove, and/or turn negative modifiers into positive ones. For example, if an opponent with the power of Pestilience (Powers Unlimited Three, page 86) tries to infect the hero with a fever, it will instead temporarily double his speed and initiative, grant two extra melee attacks/actions per round, double his combat bonuses and add a bonus of +30% to all skills.

Any disease or poison that should be instantly fatal will actually fully heal the super being, restoring all S.D.C./Hit Points immediately. Beneficial drugs will not have their reverse effect (so you can’t, for example, give the super being a headache by feeding him aspirin), rather they will have no effect at all - though with the hero’s incredible immune system, he hardly needs the help.

Bonuses:
+2 P.E.
+1 P.B.

Limitations: The character cannot draw strength from diseases or toxins he creates himself (like those produced by the powers of Pestilence or Venomous Attack); he can’t be harmed by them, but they don’t empower him.

Now this next one is best suited for an NPC, maybe even the guy who turns the player characters into super types in the first place, and was inspired by Misfits, arguably the best show on British t.v. right now...

Power Broker

"You wanna be a hero? No problem - twenty grand."

The character can turn super abilities into commodities, taking and granting powers as he chooses. The catch is that the super being cannot use the powers he deals in, but can give them to allies, henchmen or even paying customers.

1. Scan Powers. As the minor power of the same name (Powers Unlimited 3, page 19); this helps the super being to find potential new clients.

2. Extract Powers. The character can permanently strip other super beings of their powers, but only if they give their informed consent - powers cannot be forcibly removed. However, the super being is free to use any method he likes to persuade others to give up their special gifts: he can pay them, seduce them, use extortion, etc. Power Broker also allows for the removal of Mega-Hero status: the donor loses all benefits of being a Mega-Hero, including Supernatural Strength, special Mega-Powers and any attendant bonuses.

If the character removes all of a donor’s powers, they are then indistinguishable from normal humans (assuming they don’t have some unusual physical trait, like green skin or pointed ears), which can be useful if they wish to temporarily hide their superhuman nature.

After a power has been removed, the super being stores it within himself, being somehow able to capture and contain the essence of that ability. While the character can retain powers indefinitely, there is a limit to how many he can hold at any one time - up to a maximum of two minor powers or one major power per level of experience (Mega-Hero status counts as two major powers). For example, a tenth level character could hold ten major powers, twenty minor powers or any combination of the two. If the character has reached his limit and wishes to get rid of a power in favour of a new acquisition, he must first find someone to give the old power to (see Bestow Powers, below); he cannot simply discard or destroy it.

Power Broker cannot remove the Unusual Characteristics of mutants, experimental side effects, psionic abilities, magic, symbiotes, bionics/cybernetics or learned skills.

Damage: None, other than the loss of a power.
Attacks Per Melee: Removal of powers uses up one full melee round, during which the super being can do nothing else due to the intense concentration involved; if the character is distracted during this time, the attempt fails. The super being can remove either a single power, several powers or all of a donor’s powers in one go, though he must have their express permission to do this.
Saving Throw: None, but a power cannot be removed without the consent of its current owner.

3. Bestow Powers. The super being can grant any power in his inventory to anyone that he chooses. As with the Remove Powers sub-ability, this is permanent - unless the recipient decides to surrender the power at a later time, it is now an intrinsic part of them for the rest of their life.

The bestowed power functions exactly as it did for its original owner, even if they were of a higher level of experience than the recipient, though the power cannot develop further until the recipient catches up to that experience level. For example, a third level character is given a tenth level power with all of the accompanying bonuses and abilities, but those variables are then frozen until that character reaches the eleventh level of experience, at which point the power improves as it normally would.

However, the physiological strain caused by an artificially induced power will permanently reduce the recipient’s Hit Points. Accepting one minor power will reduce the recipient’s total Hit Points by 5%, while accepting a major power will lower their Hit Points by 10% (round fractions up). Multiple powers can be granted, but the Hit Point reduction is doubled for each additional power, e.g. a second minor power lowers the recipient’s total Hit Points by a further 10%, a third minor power lowers Hit Points by another 20% and so on. A power cannot be granted if the accumulated penalty would reduce the recipient’s Hit Points to zero or less (e.g. accepting a fifth major power would incur a penalty of 160% of the recipient‘s Hit Points), as this would represent a fatal overload of the character’s central nervous system. If a bestowed power grants extra Hit Points, these are first added to the character’s own and the percentage penalty is then deducted from the new, total amount.

The above penalties apply to normal humans (including those who fall into one of the non-super ability Power Categories, like Physical Training or Hardware) - beings who already have paranormal abilities (including psychics, bionic characters and aliens) can still be granted powers, but the above penalties are all doubled due to the additional stress placed on their already taxed bodies; e.g. one minor power reduces Hit Points by 10%, a major power reduces the total by 20% and so on.

If a bestowed power is later removed, the Hit Points that were lost are instantly restored. Super beings do not suffer any penalty for taking back a power that was originally theirs to begin with.

Damage: None.
Attacks Per Melee: Bestowing powers uses up one full melee round, during which the super being can do nothing else due to the intense concentration involved; if the character is distracted during this time, the attempt fails. The super being can bestow either a single power or multiple powers simultaneously, whichever he prefers, though he must have the intended recipient’s express permission to do this.
Saving Throw: None, but a power cannot be bestowed without the consent of the intended recipient.

Love them all! Especially Videogame View.. I know my kids would have a field day with that one. I can already see the original Wolfenstein 3d hud in my head with BJ Blaskowicz looking back and forth with a bloody nose!
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/4728 ... in3d01.gif
Last edited by PapaMambo on Thu May 19, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous