Rifts Japan 2

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Re: Rifts Japan 2

Unread post by ZINO »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
ZINO wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Japanese Gods, magic, monsters, and demons. Thats the plan.

what No mech or robots that not japan ...........or is it????

There may be a Japan 3 which expands the Republic of Japan, but as for now, thats not in my outline. All of that may change though.

ok :( ... i hope there is
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

SDF River wrote:And now...Sailor Moon OCCs. Ugh.

No worries. Kevin made Brandon vow to keep his fanatical Sailor Moon obsession out of Japan 2.

~ Josh
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Young Freud wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:What do you mean by "tone down the Orientalism" ?

Imagine if the NGR book had robots built like Valkyries with folding metal wings, boobguns and monofilament braids. Or they had Glitter Boy built in the form of Prussian Junkers, with gold filagree epaulets, a vibro-saber, and a apple-cheeked and bearded facsimile of a human face (with a pre-cut Heidelberg dueling scar) like some sort of giant nutcracker.

G-gundam?.........

while those specific examples didn't show up, you had things like Neo-Hollands's Windmill gundam, Neo-norway's Viking gundam, neo-frances Napolean gundam, and neo-englands tower guard gundam..and those were just the conventional ones..

G-gundam was basically the ultimate example of "how not to build giant robots" and "how to loose your fanbase"
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

If Rifts Japan 2 doesn't have a chapter on freaky Japanese game shows, I'll be very disappointed.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
SDF River wrote:And now...Sailor Moon OCCs. Ugh.

No worries. Kevin made Brandon vow to keep his fanatical Sailor Moon obsession out of Japan 2.

~ Josh

There goes my plans to buy it. :cry:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Looonatic wrote:If Rifts Japan 2 doesn't have a chapter on freaky Japanese game shows, I'll be very disappointed.

Ninja Borg Warrior?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Worse:

Popeye, the Sailor Moon.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Shinitenshi wrote:
Young Freud wrote:

Imagine if the NGR book had robots built like Valkyries with folding metal wings, boobguns and monofilament braids. Or they had Glitter Boy built in the form of Prussian Junkers, with gold filagree epaulets, a vibro-saber, and a apple-cheeked and bearded facsimile of a human face (with a pre-cut Heidelberg dueling scar) like some sort of giant nutcracker.

That's what I mean by "toning it down".

Ninjabunny wrote:I can the dragon-borgs appearing easily on the world of rifts earth, I think cannon states they made them before the Republic shifted to rifts earth but I could see them designing them once reaching rifts earth as the dragon is a terrifying image.

Same, but I could see the dragon-borgs all being one-offs or custom jobs in the years prior to the Catacylsm. Really, any of them would be perfectly reasonable as scarcely available special designs or hand-crafted customs, especially with 'borgs.

Why would you tone it down? It's Japan, why would you want to make it something other than Japan? If you're talking about the dragon borg's I'm not sure why you think those are too oriental. There are dragon myths and legends all across the globe, dragons are creatures of fear, power and respect. I don't see anything wrong with keeping to a places culture.

Rifts stereotypes are borderline ridiculous and make the game campy. Thats why.

Juicers, Crazies, Glitter Boys, Shifters, Brodkil...these are all aspects about Rifts that rock and make it unique and cool.

Slapping the word "New" in front of every current geographic title and making MDC samurai for the sake of it being Japan is very campy. (New Navy, New West, New German Republic, New Empire...) There is no reason why western America would revert to six shooters and leather chaps, same for Japanese all of a sudden running around like traditional samurai. Its just...hokey.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Kagashi wrote:Rifts stereotypes are borderline ridiculous and make the game campy. Thats why.

Juicers, Crazies, Glitter Boys, Shifters, Brodkil...these are all aspects about Rifts that rock and make it unique and cool.

Slapping the word "New" in front of every current geographic title and making MDC samurai for the sake of it being Japan is very campy. (New Navy, New West, New German Republic, New Empire...) There is no reason why western America would revert to six shooters and leather chaps, same for Japanese all of a sudden running around like traditional samurai. Its just...hokey.

Slapping 'New' in front of things is a pretty long-standing way of naming things throughout history (New York used to be New Amsterdam after all), so nothing inherently bad or campy about it. Now the only problem I have with the 'true' Samurai is that the tradition is so forgotten save for a few individuals desperately trying to keep the skills and knowledge alive the odds are astronomically against any of those traditions surviving a global catastrophe like the coming of the Rifts. At best you probably would end up with something deemed campy or stereotypical because what records would remain would be far more the TV and Movie version than the historical version (same goes with the return to Wild West behavior, it's all a product of garbled history and going on classic movies and TV shows).

Look at the Mallworld stories for a comparison: those living in space swear by saint Betty Crocker and dream of being wealthy like on Earth and getting to guzzle gas like before the world's history was shattered. Rifts is much the same, with a lot more TV shows and Movie materials floating around than historical records you can expect people rebuilding to use what they do find as a pattern to work on while trying to restore 'the old ways', it just happens that the old ways that they're reviving are fictional creations.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
amodernheathen wrote:Magical girls! We need more magical girls!

*LOL did the anime fan*

Hmmm...hard suits,AD police,boomers, and Genom.Their all there just have to make the story.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

Kagashi wrote:
Looonatic wrote:If Rifts Japan 2 doesn't have a chapter on freaky Japanese game shows, I'll be very disappointed.

Ninja Borg Warrior?

Nice. :)
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Young Freud wrote:Imagine if the NGR book had robots built like Valkyries with folding metal wings, boobguns and monofilament braids. Or they had Glitter Boy built in the form of Prussian Junkers, with gold filagree epaulets, a vibro-saber, and a apple-cheeked and bearded facsimile of a human face (with a pre-cut Heidelberg dueling scar) like some sort of giant nutcracker.

Don't.:thwak:
Give. :thwak:
Them. :thwak:
Ideas. :thwak:

Those are awesome ideas!

Point of Order they build a 1:1 scale Gundum in Japan, and you having trouble believing they wouldn't come up with Dragon Borg configurations.

You lucky they don't have like School Girl styled Borgs.

GaredBattlespike wrote:I also would like to see more artwork! More hot ladies kicking evil's rear end and looking so fine doing so!!! Sorry, but IMHO, I find the hottest women come from two different islands: The fiery redheads of Ireland, and the raven haired hotties of Japan!

Good Gaming, GaredBattlespike

Thank the kami for that!

Kagashi wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:
Young Freud wrote:

Ninjabunny wrote:I can the dragon-borgs appearing easily on the world of rifts earth, I think cannon states they made them before the Republic shifted to rifts earth but I could see them designing them once reaching rifts earth as the dragon is a terrifying image.

Same, but I could see the dragon-borgs all being one-offs or custom jobs in the years prior to the Catacylsm. Really, any of them would be perfectly reasonable as scarcely available special designs or hand-crafted customs, especially with 'borgs.

Why would you tone it down? It's Japan, why would you want to make it something other than Japan? If you're talking about the dragon borg's I'm not sure why you think those are too oriental. There are dragon myths and legends all across the globe, dragons are creatures of fear, power and respect. I don't see anything wrong with keeping to a places culture.

actually the new west makes perfect sense, affectly it has become just as it once was. My own passion for Single action wheel guns is not strange. It really nothing different from that.
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Shinitenshi wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:
Young Freud wrote:

Why would you want a book about Japan that is nothing like Japan, why not just make it an entirely new place then? I don't want to read a Japan book that has nothing to do with Japan, that just doesn't make much sense to me. Some of them reverted back to the old ways because they believed it was their reliance on tech that got them where they are today.

I dont want a book about Japan. I want a book about Rifts Japan which is filled with stuff in the future. If I wanted traditional samurai, Id watch Tom Cruise make a mockery of the culture in his movie The Last Samurai. Sometimes folks just need to sit down and think, "why would a culture start doing *this* or *that*?" Palladium does not do that very often because they are not historians, they are sci-fi fans who think the concept is cool. Im just one of those guys who do not think its cool. Id rather see Rifts Japan have a hidden space program, or some sort of unique human augmentation than MDC Teenage Catholic School Girls.
Updated Aug 2015
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Kagashi wrote:I dont want a book about Japan. I want a book about Rifts Japan which is filled with stuff in the future. If I wanted traditional samurai, Id watch Tom Cruise make a mockery of the culture in his movie The Last Samurai. Sometimes folks just need to sit down and think, "why would a culture start doing *this* or *that*?" Palladium does not do that very often because they are not historians, they are sci-fi fans who think the concept is cool. Im just one of those guys who do not think its cool. Id rather see Rifts Japan have a hidden space program, or some sort of unique human augmentation than MDC Teenage Catholic School Girls.

on the other hand, someone recently linked me to a product that was basically mind-controlled wearable cat ears. go ahead. guess where they're made.

you really seriously think that a hundred years of peace, prosperity, and likely all kinds of decadence isn't going to lead to japan developing the technology to make cyborg catgirls, or giant robots that look like schoolgirls?

the only reason japan doesn't have these things *now* (albeit they likely wouldn't be something that *everyone* would get) is that the technology does not currently exist.

on the other hand, limiting those things to japan only is also a bit silly... i'd be absolutely shocked if you were to go through any major city in the world today and not find someone who thinks that being turned into a cyborg catgirl (or kitsune, or werewolf, etc) would be a dream come true. make it cheap and available, and you would definitely see them start to become common.

actually, i think it would be somewhat amusing if certain "stock model" cybornetics/bionics built in pre-rifts factories came by default in something like that... also probably realistic. just imagine the look on the combat 'borg's face (the one they keep hidden underneath a demonic mask) when he finds that pair of bionic legs he's been dreaming of upgrading to... and then you mention that they look like pink furry anthropomorphic rabbit hind legs, complete with a rabbit's tail. bonus points if he goes to a cyber-doc after taking serious leg damage, and those are the only legs they have available.

but really. give it a hundred years for the tech to become cheap and available, and i guarantee you will see people that look like dragons and other fantasy/mythological/science fiction creatures/objects/etc.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Shark_Force wrote:
Kagashi wrote:I dont want a book about Japan. I want a book about Rifts Japan which is filled with stuff in the future. If I wanted traditional samurai, Id watch Tom Cruise make a mockery of the culture in his movie The Last Samurai. Sometimes folks just need to sit down and think, "why would a culture start doing *this* or *that*?" Palladium does not do that very often because they are not historians, they are sci-fi fans who think the concept is cool. Im just one of those guys who do not think its cool. Id rather see Rifts Japan have a hidden space program, or some sort of unique human augmentation than MDC Teenage Catholic School Girls.

on the other hand, someone recently linked me to a product that was basically mind-controlled wearable cat ears. go ahead. guess where they're made.

you really seriously think that a hundred years of peace, prosperity, and likely all kinds of decadence isn't going to lead to japan developing the technology to make cyborg catgirls, or giant robots that look like schoolgirls?

the only reason japan doesn't have these things *now* (albeit they likely wouldn't be something that *everyone* would get) is that the technology does not currently exist.

on the other hand, limiting those things to japan only is also a bit silly... i'd be absolutely shocked if you were to go through any major city in the world today and not find someone who thinks that being turned into a cyborg catgirl (or kitsune, or werewolf, etc) would be a dream come true. make it cheap and available, and you would definitely see them start to become common.

actually, i think it would be somewhat amusing if certain "stock model" cybornetics/bionics built in pre-rifts factories came by default in something like that... also probably realistic. just imagine the look on the combat 'borg's face (the one they keep hidden underneath a demonic mask) when he finds that pair of bionic legs he's been dreaming of upgrading to... and then you mention that they look like pink furry anthropomorphic rabbit hind legs, complete with a rabbit's tail. bonus points if he goes to a cyber-doc after taking serious leg damage, and those are the only legs they have available.

but really. give it a hundred years for the tech to become cheap and available, and i guarantee you will see people that look like dragons and other fantasy/mythological/science fiction creatures/objects/etc.

Some amusing and very accurate points. If anything it's conspicuous that you don't see cyborg catgirls and the like running around (after all it's a pre-Rifts city that was brought forward which would bring all of that forward too, no lost history to try and reconstruct). While I can see the need to avoid stuff that could be confused with existing characters like Nuku Nuku genetic creation rules and borg features for anime catgirls and other anime things really should be a must have.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I like to see more NPC,like the President of the Republic,the Military learders,the Empiror,the learders of oni.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I'd like to see what ever became of pre-rifts U.S. military forces stationed in Japan when the 3 cities returned.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

So far, the plans I have for japan 2 are limited to the Empire, but that doesn't mean that there won't be a sourcebook with some additional information on the Republic.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

I run a Japan PbC and would love any expanded info on the New Empire!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Grell wrote:I run a Japan PbC and would love any expanded info on the New Empire!

Then hopefully you will be pleased with what I'll be working on.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

My game takes place in the New Empire and the Zone, so any info is good at this point. I'd love to have additional canon to flesh out my own expanded notes! I like your work, so I'm pretty optimistic about it all.

Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Sounds like a good fight. Who won?

Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Awesome!

Return to “Rifts®”