Another trailer for Robotech: Love, Live, Alive

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Another trailer for Robotech: Love, Live, Alive

Unread post by mech798 »

It's a pity they don't have the money, or skill to do something like transformers prime- CGI, especially once you finish the initial investment, might be a very good choice for a future robotech series, especially given the ongoing improvements in the technology.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

mech798 wrote:It's a pity they don't have the money, or skill to do something like transformers prime- CGI, especially once you finish the initial investment, might be a very good choice for a future robotech series, especially given the ongoing improvements in the technology.

Money is more a problem than skills. If you have money, you can simply hire somebody (or several somebodies) who have the skills you need. The problem is that Harmony Gold's senior management have no faith in Robotech as a brand, so they're disinclined to spend any more of their own money on it than they absolutely have to... or so their PR people say. They ended up with Tommy because 1. he was a fan, and therefore interested in the job despite its poor prospects, and 2. because their budget and reputation were insufficient to attract anyone better-qualified.

Based on Harmony Gold's past performance, I would have to say that going the CG route would be inadvisable at best. Their first attempt at an all-CG series was their worst-ever failure, and part of the reason given for the fanbase's comprehensively negative reaction to the trailer for Robotech 3000 was the abandonment of the classic animation stylings. Their use of extremely low-budget CG in Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles did nothing to improve the fanbase's opinion of using CGI for Robotech's animation. The other problem is that a future series is not going to happen, because of a chicken-and-the-egg dilemma among Harmony Gold's management... they won't develop a new series until they receive an episode commitment from a network, and networks won't approve a Robotech series without a well-developed series concept and pilot.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

So is there going to be version for those of us who already have The Shadow Chronicles?
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

SRoss wrote:So is there going to be version for those of us who already have The Shadow Chronicles?

Dunno... the only edition we've heard about thus far is the one that's bundled with RTSC.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by mech798 »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
mech798 wrote:It's a pity they don't have the money, or skill to do something like transformers prime- CGI, especially once you finish the initial investment, might be a very good choice for a future robotech series, especially given the ongoing improvements in the technology.

Money is more a problem than skills. If you have money, you can simply hire somebody (or several somebodies) who have the skills you need. The problem is that Harmony Gold's senior management have no faith in Robotech as a brand, so they're disinclined to spend any more of their own money on it than they absolutely have to... or so their PR people say. They ended up with Tommy because 1. he was a fan, and therefore interested in the job despite its poor prospects, and 2. because their budget and reputation were insufficient to attract anyone better-qualified.

Based on Harmony Gold's past performance, I would have to say that going the CG route would be inadvisable at best. Their first attempt at an all-CG series was their worst-ever failure, and part of the reason given for the fanbase's comprehensively negative reaction to the trailer for Robotech 3000 was the abandonment of the classic animation stylings. Their use of extremely low-budget CG in Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles did nothing to improve the fanbase's opinion of using CGI for Robotech's animation. The other problem is that a future series is not going to happen, because of a chicken-and-the-egg dilemma among Harmony Gold's management... they won't develop a new series until they receive an episode commitment from a network, and networks won't approve a Robotech series without a well-developed series concept and pilot.

I think that sums up the problem in a nutshell--HG is cheap. They won't spend the money it takes to produce a quality product, but to be honest, any potential partners have a large number of other properties they could look at (and with partners who are honestly easier to deal with than HG). But being cheap kills any potential of finding a partner, because to be honest, if you won't spend *your* money, why should he spend his money-- you pretty obviously have no faith in the product. And of course every bad product they bring out (and at SDCC, you couldn't find anyone who had anything good to say about LLA), drags what's left of the IP down further.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Don't waste your money on this "movie". 90% of it is a highlight reel from Invid Invasion. And the animation they used from the actual OVA was literally reused three times in a row during dialog. It is one of the most lazy attempts to make money I have ever seen.

About the only good points were the original animation of a Conbat in action, a Condor in action, and the 15th retreating from Earth during the Invid Invasion. However, its NOTHING you didnt already get from the comics, so no new "info", just animation...nice to see, but does not contribute to diddly squat.

Its also the first time we see a MAC III in animation, making it one more piece of Sentinels becoming canon under the Tommy Yune regime. You also see a twin cannon VHT in action (Tigers I think they are called).

Other than that, if you have watched New Gen, you have already seen this "movie". What a disappointment. And they delayed Shadow Rising for this? Rubbish.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

Kagashi wrote:Don't waste your money on this "movie". 90% of it is a highlight reel from Invid Invasion. And the animation they used from the actual OVA was literally reused three times in a row during dialog. It is one of the most lazy attempts to make money I have ever seen.

About the only good points were the original animation of a Conbat in action, a Condor in action, and the 15th retreating from Earth during the Invid Invasion. However, its NOTHING you didnt already get from the comics, so no new "info", just animation...nice to see, but does not contribute to diddly squat.

Its also the first time we see a MAC III in animation, making it one more piece of Sentinels becoming canon under the Tommy Yune regime. You also see a twin cannon VHT in action (Tigers I think they are called).

Other than that, if you have watched New Gen, you have already seen this "movie". What a disappointment. And they delayed Shadow Rising for this? Rubbish.

They did not delay Shadow Rising to do this. They did this since it was something they could do while they try to get funds to make Shadow Rising and/or hope the live action movie project takes off.
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Kagashi wrote: You also see a twin cannon VHT in action (Tigers I think they are called).

where is this shown? I've gone over it a few times, and only saw the mac3
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Seto Kaiba
Knight

mech798 wrote:I think that sums up the problem in a nutshell--HG is cheap. They won't spend the money it takes to produce a quality product, but to be honest, any potential partners have a large number of other properties they could look at (and with partners who are honestly easier to deal with than HG). [...] And of course every bad product they bring out (and at SDCC, you couldn't find anyone who had anything good to say about LLA), drags what's left of the IP down further.

Honestly, I think that last point is the most telling when it comes to Robotech's situation. Back before the reboot, if there was an overwhelmingly negative reaction to a title the way there's been to the Shadow Chronicles movie or its parasitic half-brother Love Live Alive, Harmony Gold would have canned the project immediately and started spinning tales about how it's everyone's fault but their own, the way they did with every previous Robotech failure. But now, they're plowing ahead with the release of Love Live Alive and the Voltron crossover despite all of the negativity about both titles from the fanbase... probably because they know most of the fans are so desperate for anything with the Robotech name on it that they'll buy anything, regardless of quality. There's no incentive for them to improve, when the few remaining fans will buy practically anything.

I think the other point, which I almost posted in the "is Robotech depressing?" thread, is that the hype that the fans raised over this latest "new" release is all wrong. Are they excited about a new Robotech title? No. Are they really enthused about the new animation or the epilogue to the New Generation? No. A handful are excited because there's an extremely brief acknowledgement of the Masters Saga, but virtually all of the noise about LLA is about a ridiculously tenuous and indirect link to Macross. That's right, even the Southern Cross fans have demonstrated that the only part of Robotech that matters a damn is Macross.

Kagashi wrote:Don't waste your money on this "movie". 90% of it is a highlight reel from Invid Invasion. And the animation they used from the actual OVA was literally reused three times in a row during dialog. It is one of the most lazy attempts to make money I have ever seen.

Why would anyone buy it anyway, when you can get the same show without the bad edits and with much better music for considerably less money? After all, it's been out for how many decades now?

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Kagashi wrote: You also see a twin cannon VHT in action (Tigers I think they are called).

where is this shown? I've gone over it a few times, and only saw the mac3

you are correct. I was remembering stills from the comics and subliminally wishing they were included.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”