Economics of Adventuring

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Re: Economics of Adventuring

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

I hadnt thought about it but thats a good point.

Land would be an excellent reward for services rendered. Most of N.A. was changed by the rifts and a lot of it is still wilderness. Soil plus the resources in it could be very valuable either for trading or exploiting yourself.

Damn, all this time I been playing and only now just realized it.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Re: Economics of Adventuring

Unread post by Colt47 »

kaid wrote:
flatline wrote:
nilgravity wrote:My phase world group had a metal man (whatever they are called) and he'd make mad money charging people's eclips. The GM asked KS via his wife and she said that it was a legit move

The prices for charging eclips make little sense for Rifts Earth. They make even less sense for the 3 galaxies.

--flatline

3 galaxies actually is WAY cheaper for eclips. Eclips brand new fully charged cost like 150 credits so they are MUCH less expensive than rifts prices and one has to assume the recharge costs follow a similar reduction in price.

One weird type adventure economics wise is a lemurian one. I have only done one where the bulk of the group was lemurian but it was kinda funny. Your character is more likely to die than their armor is because to fully destroy bio armor you have to keep hitting it after its MDC is depleted. Their weapons being magic items are all very very durable and repairable if you have a bio mancer with you. It wound up being one of the more oddly alturistic campaigns because the party really did not need anything. They didn't need to buy ammo, their armor healed itself over time, their mounts healed up fast and were also armored via barding. They thought tech items had cooties so even if they got some loot none of them wanted anything to do with most of what they got.

Most of the lemurian OCC's start with so much gear a player playing a biomancer asked a question I had never heard before in decades of roleplaying and that was do I actually need all this stuff and wound up just banking most of their starting equipment at their home city in case somehow they wound up needing it to replace combat losses over time.

I think in the campaign the total causalties were like two of the big warmounts which made the group sad but both of the people who lost them had 2 or 3 as starting equipment so when they went back to town they had their funeral and then bonded with one of their other allotted mounts.

Oh yeah, when I played a 3 galaxies / Phase World game the pricing was much better scaled. With Rifts, I think the idea was supposed to be set around MD weapons being used to take on rare threats, while SDC was still the king for most of everything else. The only issue is that due to the sheer proliferation of MD level technology in all the books the setting bends more towards being 100% mega-damage to the point that in the RUE it actually states a few times that Mega-damage level combat is more common.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:

Return to “Rifts®”