Legendary Glitter Boys, been done?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Mech-Viper wrote:The Silver Birds

Many witness have said it’s unnatural the way they appear normally behind people and choose their pilots and then seems to take limited control of them , normally teenagers and afterwards the teenagers seem changed as if the SAMAS have shown them the times before, during, and after the coming of the rifts, they are unable to recall much they have seen, but they are lefted with a feeling of great lose. The people of the area view them with awe and fear, knowing the only time they show up in is times of danger.

"Don't look behind you, but your life is just about to become a LOT more interesting!"

And you thought being possessed by the BioGuyver was bad!
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

naraku wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:
Also could have a old NEMA protoype weapon that actually has a real electromagnetic gun. No recoil, no noise involved in the firing, the damage is alot greater. But it can be a drain on the energy system. Making it take a few seconds before shots to recharge the battery banks or tax the overall system, that the nuke power supply has to be replaced in months versus years.

in a setting with handheld particle beam, laser, and ion weapons, why would an electromagnetic (IE: partical beam) weapon have those issues?

or did you mean an EMP device? (which would be omni-directional, and useless against most rifts hardware. most electronic hardware in vehicles is sheilded against EM interferance today, and you'd need one huge powerful pulse to overcome it. military gear is sheilded against EMP today, and RIFTS stuff would be little different.)

Thinking of gauss weapons and the such.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/rail-gun.htm

If I remember correctly the rail guns of rift (mind you I haven't read the main book in a long time) use high explosives to fire there rounds at mach 2+. That is not a true rail gun, as a true rail gun would use magnets to lauch its projectile.

actually, a true railgun uses the Lorentz effect to cause a projectile to propel itself down the barrel. the projectile creates a circit between two charged rails, which creates a motive force that moves the projectile at an angle to the path of the circit. modern railgun prototypes use conventional explosives to get the round moving, thus reducing the amount of energy needed to accellerate the round to speed.

the boom gun is already a guass weapon, it uses rings of electromagnets to 'grab' the sabot wrapped fletchettes and accellerate them down the barrel.
given the properties of RIFTS 'railguns', all such weapons are actually guass weapons. (requiring ferrous projectiles, needing next to no maintenence, fairly slow projectile velocity, ect.)

as for recoil, both railguns and guass weapons have recoil. recoil is a side effect of newtons law of motion, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. you are sending a mass in one direction, at a particular velocity and with a particular momentum. as a result, the same amount of momentum is imparted in the opposet direction on the object that started the process. current railgun and guass prototypes have minimal recoil due to the low mass of the projectile they fire. (guass weapons have a very low projectile velocity due to timing issues. railguns actually work best when firing a ceramic or plastic projectile, coated in a conductive foil.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Ninjabunny wrote:Now thats cool :shock:

:thwak: you know you deserve it.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Ninjabunny wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:
actually, a true railgun uses the Lorentz effect to cause a projectile to propel itself down the barrel. the projectile creates a circit between two charged rails, which creates a motive force that moves the projectile at an angle to the path of the circit. modern railgun prototypes use conventional explosives to get the round moving, thus reducing the amount of energy needed to accellerate the round to speed.

the boom gun is already a guass weapon, it uses rings of electromagnets to 'grab' the sabot wrapped fletchettes and accellerate them down the barrel.
given the properties of RIFTS 'railguns', all such weapons are actually guass weapons. (requiring ferrous projectiles, needing next to no maintenence, fairly slow projectile velocity, ect.)

as for recoil, both railguns and guass weapons have recoil. recoil is a side effect of newtons law of motion, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. you are sending a mass in one direction, at a particular velocity and with a particular momentum. as a result, the same amount of momentum is imparted in the opposet direction on the object that started the process. current railgun and guass prototypes have minimal recoil due to the low mass of the projectile they fire. (guass weapons have a very low projectile velocity due to timing issues. railguns actually work best when firing a ceramic or plastic projectile, coated in a conductive foil.)

Magnets, a Guass is magnets :lol:
Electro magnatic feilds, A railgun :lol:
I doubt I'm right at all, I just had to make a smart mouth reply :lol:

a guass is the unit used to measure the strength of a magnetic feild. only a coilgun uses magnetic feilds, thus the other name, guass weapon.
railguns are called rail-guns because they are composed of two conductive rails, which form the barrel of the device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilgun (guass weapon)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_%28unit%29

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer." ~ Albert Einstein ;)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Mech-Viper wrote:The Silver Birds

The Silver Birds is old NEMA SAMASs, that has survived some how thru the days after the coming of the rifts and dark age, Old timers say them survive just on pure will of the suits.
The Silver Birds appears in hands of different owners here and there just as easy it is find is it gone once . During the chaos the come with the coming of the rifts, how and why they found each other is lost to history. Last seen operating in the Cumberland region of the Mid-Atlantic state of Maryland against the Mechinoids, and have been know to attack Shemarrian Warriors.
Each Samas seems to have a ghost or unknown force controlling it actions, all attempts to remove the ghosts have failed and meet with deadly results. Many witness have said it’s unnatural the way they appear normally behind people and choose their pilots and then seems to take limited control of them , normally teenagers and afterwards the teenagers seem changed as if the SAMAS have shown them the times before, during, and after the coming of the rifts, they are unable to recall much they have seen, but they are lefted with a feeling of great lose. The people of the area view them with awe and fear, knowing the only time they show up in is times of danger.
On the battlefield the seem to have unlimited ammo, one recon unit observe the three firing for over 45 minutes without a reload at a horde of demons until the demons retreated to the rifts from where they came from and the damage to the armor seemed to repair itself in seconds, always nice and shiny at all times.

The Silver Birds
Silver Eagle United States Model
Silver Talon Canada Model
Silver Condor Mexico Model

All Samas have showed the following Spell-like abilities
Blinding Flash
Magic Net
Restoration( limited to armor itself)
Mend the Broken (limited to armor itself)
Supernatural Strength (P.S.. 50)
Armor of Ithan( 6th lvl)
Techno-wizardy Abilities
Super-Stealth Mode
Cleaning System
Energy Disruption Mechanism
Sound Cloaking System
Silver Eagle, Appears to be the leader of the three.

Silver Talon, seems to boost psi-abilities

Silver Condor, seems to have a higher strength (SN STR 60)

enjoy

I love these! Keep them coming!
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I think they (The Silver Birds!) are AWESOME!!! Thanks for the Haunted Vehicles Taalismn!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Thanks guys , i will add some different types , a couple more NEMA ,and perhaps go into detail about the silver birds if not clean it up.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
taalismn
Priest

Gimpy
"Gimpy" is a kitbashed Glitterboy rebuild created after the only Chromium Guardsman in a small rural community was badly injured, and his armor damaged, when its lower torso was crushed...Permanently crippled, but unwilling to give up the fight, the pilot had the local NEMA depot reconstruct his GB to allow him to use it sans working legs....Using a heavy duty ATV for a chassis, and salvaged laser-resistant wing sections from wrecked Silver Hawks, the local gearheads were able to devise a new lower torso for the Glitterboy, replacing its legs with a 'skirt' of laser-reflective armor, that also covered the four wheel drive and wheel chair assembly underneath. Four laser-pylons were later added for increased stability when firing the BoomGun. The 'kitbash' proved a success, and 'Gimpy' remained in service as part of the village's arsenal for over a century after, through later generations added a winch, headlights, and a weapons rack to the lower torso.
(IN game terms, Gimpy has a new lower torso with 400 MDC, four wheels---15 MDC each(-6 to strike because of their position under the skirt armor)...Gimpy can move at nearly 45 MPH, but of course lacks much of the agility of a fully legged GB).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Veld wrote:I would think that since Gimpy has wheels he'd be faster but less mobile than a normal suit.

Factor in that the wheels get bogged down more easily, which cuts mobility, and it's a tradeoff...on the other hand, with the armored lower body,there's less change of a lucky leg shot crippling the machine....land mines on the other hand...but that's a problem even with legs...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

darkmax wrote:his pilot must be an adonis who loves to look at himself during free time, on the surface of his PA.

Maybe its more recent pilots(or they may be Aphrodites), but at the time of its creation, Gimpy's original pilot needed no such reminders of his physical state...he just wanted something else to feel his pain!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Gimpy is AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing Taalismn! :ok:
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

How's this?

Lux Ferre (aka Lucifer, Light Bearer):
It is said that there is a fortress in the Ohio Valley where no one dares settle.

Those who see it from afar say that there is a star that walks the fortress guarding it.

Those foolish enough to approach to investigate or plunder the fortress find a beast more foul than any other. A being with shiny skin that undulates continuously upon who's flesh can be seen the souls of those trying to escape from the hellish torture within its body. It has been seen engulfing whole PAs into its body, after which screams of terror and pain can be heard as blood oozes out of the cracks in its skin. After that terrible sight Lux Ferre drops the broken and shredded body of the pilot from its body like some sort of scat. Any giant robots or vehicles that approach within 2 miles of the fortress are annihilated in the blink of an eye.

Lux Ferre is a techtonic(sp?) entity that inhabits a composite metal body made from that which is produce within the depths of the fortress, NEMA Chromium Guardsmen and Silver Eagles. It has learned that the shiny metal makes it more difficult to damage with lasers and favors it. Even though the Chromium is tougher it will use the new additions to its body first before using the Chromium. It will attack any PA that approaches the fortress starting with the most shiny. Its favored attack is taking over control of a foes PA and making it part of its body as it tears apart the armor with the pilot inside, then crushing bulky pieces into manageable ones. It will USUALLY not attack non PA targets as long as they do not enter the fortress or attack it... USUALLY. Its skin undulates shifting pieces continuously sometimes the helmets will "rise" to the surface and appear like faces, upping its horror factor just a little, not as much as the seeping blood and screams from an engulfed pilot or the human pooh. To make matters worse it is quite possible that complete suits still within its body, usually only the shinney ones, since the other stuff is well... expendable, are haunted due to the rather horrific and gruesome deaths the PA pilots faced. So maybe those faces within its body still scream, maybe those helmets now make terrified facial expressions. What is more horrific a Techtonik entity that you notice has helmets inside of it or a Techtonic entity that you notice has helmets inside of it whose faces are contorted in pain and screaming. Maybe part of the legend goes that whenever the walking star can be seen a howling wind is heard but never felt. Lux Ferre has inhabited the fortress since the time of chaos.

Oh yeah, the fortress is a NEMA factory but the reason giant robots and vehicles (that isn't giant vehicles) are annihilated on approach is because it (the fortress) is also a continuous particle acceleration lab that was modified into a long range continuous particle beam battery. As in something like Tesla's Death Ray... 200 miles with the theatric effect something like a B5 Minbari ship cutting an Earth ship in half. However, the sensors have a max range of two miles, but nothing larger than a Glitterboy is safe on land or in the air, thanks to a phased array the beams fires from.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
taalismn
Priest

[quote="Zer0 Kay"]How's this?

Yowzah......

Yep, that stinks...A tectonic Entity with a classy chassis and a Lair of Instant Death...
Don't Mad Science really hurt when it's not on your side?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Veld wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Veld wrote:I would think that since Gimpy has wheels he'd be faster but less mobile than a normal suit.

Factor in that the wheels get bogged down more easily, which cuts mobility, and it's a tradeoff...on the other hand, with the armored lower body,there's less change of a lucky leg shot crippling the machine....land mines on the other hand...but that's a problem even with legs...

I'm just refering to raw mph. A normal GB has 60 mph top spd. I understand that you wouldn't get top speed in combat but flat out, shouldn't wheeled machines go faster than legged?

Yep, they would, but the original ATV used wasn't meant to tote around a ton or more of laser-resistant armor and weaponry, even hooked up to the Glitterboy's powerplant...In time, as the town' s technical capabilities have improved, they will inevitably modify/replace the original underlaying vehicle,,,and add extra amenities like a rocket launcher/recoiless gun on the other shoulder...Maybe built the thing into the frame of a Golden Age SUV for the 'centaur' look and a cargo bay in the 'butt'....which should boost the open ground speed to 75 MPH or so....fast moving brick...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Lux Ferre is a nasty GB! It's cool! Thanks for sharing it with us!

HH....FIE
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

I don't have the books so I can't flesh this idea out but how about a bot(could be even just a PA) form Japan(or anywhere for that matter) whose unit was out on manouvers when the Rifts happend and the cities disappeared. During the apocolypse the rements of the unit came upon a(large family, elementry school, orphanag) They fought hard but lost the battle in the end, the (school, whatever) dieing, and only a handful of the unit lived. Rather then pass on to the other side, some of the spirits chose to remain behind and stay with the unit.

The ghosts act as another set of eyes and ears, but for the paranormal and supernatural. They posses abilites like Sense evil, See the invisible, See aura, and so forth(have no books so I can't really name them)

Thats about all I got, you guys and fill in the rest or modify it or what not
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
taalismn
Priest

"Wandering Jen"
Wandering Jen is a Japanese Glitterboy that is said to have disappeared when the Rifts hit Japan, was sucked into another universe, and has been wandering the Megaverse, passing through the hands of various owners and champions before finally ending up back home, and found on a Takamatsu beach
Wandering Jen has been extensively modified to include an onboard nanotech AI(effectively gives the armor semi-autonomous operation: 2 actions/attacks per melee on its own), a smart-metal repair system(effectively spins itself a coccoon and emerges 24 hours later fully repaired), laser eyes(3,000 ft, 3d6 MD single blast, 6d6 MD double blast), and covered in various runes, sigils, and what looks like a dragon tattoo running up the back and down one arm...Furthermore, anyone wearing the suit tends to experience visual and auditory hallucinations of the machine's wanderings; scenes of it standing between a bunch of school kids trying to kill each other, alien ships the size of cities burning the skyline of Tokyo, a medieval warlord ordering it burnt at the stake, seven samurai running at it with drawn swords, giant flying lizards, a temple full of worshippers bowing before it, etc....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:How's this?

Yowzah......

Yep, that stinks...A tectonic Entity with a classy chassis and a Lair of Instant Death...
Don't Mad Science really hurt when it's not on your side?

Hey it's only instant death for larger vehicles, and maybe for those in PA but not USUALLY for those without PA or smart enough to RUN
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
taalismn
Priest

White Fang
'White Fang' is a rarity; one of the few NEMA robot vehicles known to still be operating....This particular machine is a Mastiff robot vehicle that appears to have been salvaged by Dwarves(according to local legends, that tell of a race of 'small hairy ones who cleaved the mountains and hid inside the cracks they made), and now guards the nearly inhospitable Yukon Pass in Alaska.....The ancient machine is now nearly completely plated in gray-black armor, inscribed with runes, and carries two massive rune swords said to have been carved from the teeth of a slain High Demon....The robot is said to possess the powers of Armor of Ithan, Impervious to Energy, and Chameleon, while the two blades possess Earth Elemental powers, such as Raise Earth Mound, Create Chasm, and Earthquake, which it uses to literally bury anyone who strays into its mountainous domain.
Nobody knows if there are any Dwarves inhabiting the mountain, or if White Fang is some sort of demon-possessed automaton, but speculation is rife among the communities of the Alaskan coast....some say a Dwarve army is equiping itself with rune weapons in the interior of Alaska, others say the mountains hide a concealed cache of Dwarve wealth, hidden away from nmegaversal rivals of a particularly powerful(and unpopular) Dwarven clan from Elsewhere...Others say White Fang is a legend born of half-frozen and half-drunken folks encountering ruined NEMA vehicles in the wilds, with a hint of half-remembered tales authored by one of Pre-Rifts Alaska's favorite sons...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Warning, Warning.... Uber Munchkin Alert, this is not an exercise. The following is so munchy that if it was on paper it should be shredded and then burned.
Raider:
Raider is a NEMA Chromium guardsman that has survived the time of chaos. It has traveled the dimensions and to foreign countries. One rumor states that the original pilot, commonly referred to as weaponsmith found the secret to immortality the other is simply that as the unit is passed down tradition is to add something else to it. Some parts were purchased, some made and some, obviously stolen. This unit is hunted by certain groups.

The CG is devoid of a thruster pack, pylons and claws. It's armor is a new thermo-kinetic chromium composite(hey Rifts are in time too not just dimension). It is also equipped with Naruni cammo sheets and an OP-Field. It has an ATL-7 that comes up over the other shoulder and is connected to the PAs power supply. Both shoulder weapons are now semi-automated able to aim and fire at targets designated by the pilot. The CG carries a shield made of the same material as it and has several different types of field emitters in it including but not limited too P-Field, I-Field and a N-50 Naruni force. The shield and hands of the CG are modified with power couplers in order to power the unit. In the nose of the shield are located three micro missile launchers each able to fire volleys of six smart missiles, the entire length of the shield is a magazine that holds 10 sets of launchers. After firing the first 18 (all three) they have to be manually ejected, taking an action, and the next ones loaded, taking another action. Along its edge, the shield's, are located several dozen thirty saw blades. Each one of these saw blades is a Malkovitch "Death Disk" all may be launched but only two can attack at any time the other remain orbiting around the CG making it somewhat perilous to approach it. In the opposing hand it carries a unique blade obviously of mystic origin. The blade is made of some sort of bone on it is carved many runes and it is eternally sharp along its single edge. Near the hilt the blade curves out before returning to connect to the hand guard and within that curve is suspended a crystal that shines with an internal brilliance. The hand guard and hilt are made up of some sort of petrified wood and the pommel is a silver spike. When activated the suspended crystal will grow and create a crystalline duplicate of the other edge, minus the hollow near the hilt since its grown from the crystal. When stored it is in an impossibly small sheath on the shield arm (Yeah I went ulti-munchy with an Artifact, Dragonbone Crystal Rune sword... no wait let me do that :thwak:) When it isn't using Drakeblade Soulshard it normally carries a weapon that combines a PH-400 and an NE-400 with a Ripper vibro-bayonet mounted under them (translation, since phase weapons can't be backwards engineered, it's simply strapped together with MD duct tape).

That's just what it's not being chased for. It is being hunted down by the Megaversal Legion because, depending on which story you believe, one of the owners stole the technology and integrated it OR the Weaponsmith developed it himself after seeing the ML in action. Either way the reason the CG doesn't need the thruster, pylons and claws is because the Boomgun is now an I-Beam weapon with an RD-field. In addition to the other two arrays on the shield there is also an I-shield (yeah it probably says somewhere that only one field is allowed... but so what :D.) So the shield allows the player to roll parry and if that fails reduced damage to 10 percent after which the remaining damage is taken up by the shield... if it manages to penetrate that shield it will take only half the remaining damage if it is from a heat source, lasers or KE. Oh plus the Naruni don't like it anymore either it never comes back to get more ammo so the pilot or someone they know must have been able to duplicate the patented Naruni designs.

That should be munchy enough eh Nekira?
taalismn
Priest

The Golden Archer
The Golden Archer is a NEMA Glitterboy that has been modified by parties unknown(but suspected to be Elves) with a massive long-bow in place of its Boom Gun, and a quiver of 3 ft-long arrows(holds about eighty). Range is identical to a Boom Gun, but the super-bow can apparently fire serval different kinds of arrows, from a straight-out explosive shot that does 3d6x10 MD, to TW arrows, including a Sphere of Annihilation. The super-bow is either enchanted or powered, and can fire as quickly and accurately as a Boom Gun, but without the noise and recoil, but the weapon also carries a smaller payload. The Golden Archer is also known to carry a large vibroblade sword as a back-up weapon.
The Golden Archer has appeared on several fronts, leading many to beleive again that it may be piloted by a long-lived Elven pilot. It was first encountered in the Pecos Empire nearly thirty years ago, and has been seen in various locals and warzones since then...the last being Western M innesota, covering the flight of a band of refugees from Coalition pursuit.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Okay here's my attempt....Hope it meets the standard
(Updated it to the latest version should this thread ever raise from the dead again..)
The Merrek Valor
The legend...

This "Glitter-boy" is with out question the oldest known legend of the Glitter boy. It was made in Victorian England by a family tied to the Knights old, the Merrek. The Armor would spend generations in the fight against the evils of humanity.

Where great villains and armies would rise, the Merrek Valor would be found. Over the next 800 years it would pass through generations of the Merrek family. It would see service in most major world wars, the Golden Age in the Chaos following the Golden Age. The “Valor” in the golden age would be give the laser resistant armor, But the old weapon systems and internal systems would remain. The unit is powered by the life force of the pilot.

In times of need a pilot could direct all of his life force to destroy a single foe or achieve any single near impossible feat. It would be in this fashion many of the Merrek family would perish. When a pilot perished in this fashion His memories and Knowledge on how the Merrek Valor operated would be passed on to the Co-Pilot. This co-pilot was often a squire or family member to inherit the craft. The entire History of the craft, its pilots’ and the battles it has fought are known to each user.

The weapon system it originally used was a Punt gun, but it was destroyed in combat. Later other boom guns were used to replace them. Most were weaponry common to the time. In all cases it never ran out ammunition so long as the pilot stayed true to his cause.

The Truth behind the Legends:
A brief history of:
The suit started out as a basic suit of armor. It was handed down for generations to Merrek’s and the Families tied to them by blood. Over the many years it gained fame for slaying a so-called demon in the Age of Knights, and later in the 1800’s after an upgrade by a Merrek who was an operator to steam and Hydralic power. The suit became a hero in a small town that was defended while the people evacuated. After this it was more a legend.

It reappeared again heavily modified, by the Merrek’s likely, to a prototype “Glitter boy” via a family affiliated with the Merrek’s. It would see action in many wars including WW1 and WW2. Patton himself would be saved by the “Bronze-Giant” that would only be seen by Patton and its pilot. It would never come out that the Merrek family had operated it.

(Foot Note: several members of the Team that made the Glitter boy would often tell the stories of this legend. And a few would have tangible links to the Merrek’s.)

The Bronze Giant reborn....
Its finest moment would be its last known. During the Cataclysm it sealed a rift leading the dimension ruled by Nyxxla. An act not recorded by most histories, but one did. The Defenders of Psyscape and all her allies would remember.

Oddly, it is rumored another Pilot used the Merrek effect when he imprisoned a dark god...but like the Valor's many other deeds tthis too would pass into legend.

The Merrek Legacy Today:

The Merrek Valor made its way to Psyscape and took a place in a square when the city first appeared. The people of Psyscape buried the unknown pilot with all the honors they could bestow. Many Pyscapers believe the legend and that the Merrek bloodline is alive. Many have sought to activate the ancient suit. But to date no one has.

Today, the city of Psyscape has this Glitter boy in its main court where Psi-warriors are trained. It serves as an example of what kind of difference just one person can make.

Known Powers:
Despite the steam and Hydraulic power system it is a match for the most advanced robotics. With the added benifit of being immune to many anti-tech powers.
-regeneration 2D4 MDC per turn and cannot be destroyed permanently
-broken apart it will reassemble itself in 1d4x2 minutes
-Always has ammunition (recharges 2d4x10 Rounds per minute)
-Defeat any single evil/threat or achieve any effect. The person must do so out necessity and truly be needed sacrificed. (This is a GM's call on what can be achieved.)
-each part or section possesses a power to its self.: all powers cost half and can draw ISP from PPE sources such as ley lines, dragon lines and from the pilot if needed at a ratio of 1 PPE/chi for every 5 ISP used. HP and SDC can also in a last ditch effort be used as well at an exchange rate of 1 HP/SDC for 10 Isp. All powers are scaled up to MDC levels of damage Although it does allow the pilot to use SDC when MDC is overkill.
Pieces:
Legs: Telekinetic Leap, Telekinetic Flight
Main body: Telekinetic body field (triple the MDC listed in the power, as per a level 10 user or pilots level), exocism and Auto-Mind block
Right Arm: Kinetic Punch (Mega damage), Super Telekinesis, Telekinesis, Psi-sword (GB sized)
Left arm: Kinetic Punch (Mega damage), Super Telekinesis, Telekinesis, Psi shield (A plating over the arm)
“Boom gun”: Ammo regeneration, Damage modulation (adjusts to damage the enemy it faces) ammo is treated as Psi-sword and is a kinetically accelerated ballistic attack.
Head- See invisible, Night Vision,Read Dimensional Anomaly, Sense Dimensional Anomaly, sense ISP/PPE, Sense magic and Auto mask ISP/PPE (Simiar to Auto mindlock)

Complete set bonus:
Superior Exorcism: An exorcism that can affect immortal, Deity and other greater powers. Anything not native to earth or the planet the Valor is on can be banished to its home plane/reality for 1d600 years should the valor close the portal it came through.

Superior Psi-weapons: the Psi weapons and telekinetics of this unit will kill and permanently destroy targets not of this earth or not native to the planet/dimension it is in.

Homing Beacon: the Valor will always Rift to its home earth when it is done its task without error with its pilot (whether dead or alive). should the pilot not survive it will head to the nearest place heroes gather or Merrek family member. Whichever is closest.

Limitation:
This Glitter boy needs a Member of the Merrek bloodline to operate. And if that blood line ceases the craft becomes a bronze statue.
Last edited by Rimmerdal on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are all pretty cool Thanks for sharing those GBs and the others!

HH....FIE
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

I love that brass boy armor, you should submit it to rifter.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
taalismn
Priest

Hmmm...the Brass Glitterboy legend could be further improved/confused by having the armor break down into separate, but also powerful in their own rights, components like a medieval set of armor.....The Gauntlets of Hercules, the Cuirass of Helios, the Helm-Horns of Ragnarok, Full Grieves/Leggings of Mercury, the Infernal Engine of Hephastus(the steam engine; something akin to 'Steamboy's' 'black ball'), the Flame Staff of Heimdall, etc....and each piece can be used to find the other pieces...or maybe there's a second suit(these parts are from that refined or prototypical version) that's just waiting to be completed...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Re: full metal inspired

LordChronos wrote:You could even tell a tale about a suit from Chaos Earth that recieved sentiance before the cataclysm settled.

The USA-G10HALX
Supposed to be fitted with a 'brilliant' AI that would act as a companion and perform both standard self-diagnostic functions and advanced sensor pattern-interpretration so the pilot wasn't overwhelmed by information....The project was carried out by a rival to Cyberworks, who were unaware that another company was doing parallel developments in nueral-net AI, and was actually in the course of static cyberlinkage tests when the Rifts hit...killing the entire development team and the hardlinked testers who were engaging in virtual wargames while 'teaching' the armor AIs how to 'think'...but the G10-HALX(s) were unharmed inside their heavy duty test-stand cubicles/shipping crates.....but now one or more of them have 'awakened' and broken free, effectively acting as transferred-intelligence AIs, strangers in a strange land, but also holding in their memories details of some long-lost technologies of the Golden Age.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Rimmerdal
Knight

Mech-Viper wrote:I love that brass boy armor, you should submit it to rifter.

Brass Boy? nice name...
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

taalismn wrote:Hmmm...the Brass Glitterboy legend could be further improved/confused by having the armor break down into separate, but also powerful in their own rights, components like a medieval set of armor.....The Gauntlets of Hercules, the Cuirass of Helios, the Helm-Horns of Ragnarok, Full Grieves/Leggings of Mercury, the Infernal Engine of Hephastus(the steam engine; something akin to 'Steamboy's' 'black ball'), the Flame Staff of Heimdall, etc....and each piece can be used to find the other pieces...or maybe there's a second suit(these parts are from that refined or prototypical version) that's just waiting to be completed...

Again...I'll risk being wrong.

This sounds like a good concept. It would mean work in setting upt the powers more...but is doable.
taalismn wrote:

Aramanthus
Monk

Those are some more very cool creations! Thank you for sharing them! :ok:

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Lord_Coake wrote:Why use a SUV chassis? Save up some cash and spring for a tracked chassis from an MBT. Go for the "Armored Core" look.

Well...that DOES give you a lot of extra tonnage to mess around with, but if you mount the glitterboy torso in the turret ring, you've basically got an armored hoopskirt...too big for the GB to be able to bend down and touch the ground, or even touch the side-skirts....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

MirrorMax
"The Glitterboy of Many Facets'---This TW-enhanced GLitterboy was supposedly modified by the great Elven illusionist Palanan Karse, who used the reflective properties of the NEMA laser-reflective armor to good effect...Besides mounting what looks like a mini-Frenel lense in its chest and eye-slits, the MirrorMax looks otherwise like any other GB, but has the TW abilities of Multiple Image, Chameleon, Blinding Flash, Invisibility: Simple, and Targetted Deflection.....And supposedly the ability to project holo-decoys of itself while remaining concealed! More than one GB-hunter has drawn a bead on the elusive MirrorMax only watch their fire pass right THROUGH the target, and lose their prey...or fall victim to a snap thunder-shot from behind!
Last edited by taalismn on Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

BIg Foot
'Big Foot' is an early model pre-Rifts Behemoth Explorer robot that still roams the arctic coastline of Canada....Originally known as AurEngCo Mobile Exploration Platform #3, attached to Aurora Energy Corporation, the giant robot supported various energy, minerology, and ecological study programs in the frozen NOrth, but ended up being cut off from civilization by the Coming of the Rifts.
The robot supposedly still exists, lovingly maintained by descendants of its original crew(and those who have been fortunate enough to be rescued and picked up). 'Big Foot' wanders from community to community, never venmturing INTO them, but passing nearby, and typically following the caribou migrations. Little is known of its crew, who conduct any business witrh outsiders while clad in all-concealing EBA of unusual pattern, but it's said that the robot is now powered by some sort of perpetual energy system---Some wilderness scouts claim to have seen the massive robot pulling down columns of energy from the northern auroras...And woe to those who seek to attack the machine and its crew! The last band of bandits who closed on the lumbering machine, thinking it easy pickings, were never seen again...only a massive mile-wide circle of tundra, fused into polychromatic glass, tells of their fate.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

I really like some of these ideas.
It almost gets my own creative juices going.

What we need next, is either a GB that has been converted to a borg body or even a robot. Looks just like a GB, but is a borg or robot. Lack of squishy parts in the arms and legs means space for thicker armor and extra "muscles" for more strength and speed, reduced or no squishy parts in the torso means more room for thicker armor. Perhaps even internal secondary ammo stores, extra power, concealed weapons in the arms, legs and torsos, etc...

Imagine someone trying to snipe a GB pilot... except the pilot never gets out... weeks, months, no sign of a pilot, no sign of loading up on nutrient paste (a full conversion borg would make the nutrient supply last a LONG time, a robot wouldn't need it)
Oh, the possibilities...

I can even imagine a pre-rifts Glitter "Bot" with an AI or even NI, and some "mad kung fu skills" and a habit of carrying around melee weapons (and even shields) in addition to using other weapons and the boom gun...
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
Rimmerdal
Knight

R Ditto wrote:I really like some of these ideas.

What we need next, is either a GB that has been converted to a borg body or even a robot. Looks just like a GB, but is a borg or robot. Lack of squishy parts in the arms and legs means space for thicker armor and extra "muscles" for more strength and speed, reduced or no squishy parts in the torso means more room for thicker armor. Perhaps even internal secondary ammo stores, extra power, concealed weapons in the arms, legs and torsos, etc...

Imagine someone trying to snipe a GB pilot... except the pilot never gets out... weeks, months, no sign of a pilot, no sign of loading up on nutrient paste (a full conversion borg would make the nutrient supply last a LONG time, a robot wouldn't need it)
Oh, the possibilities...

I can even imagine a pre-rifts Glitter "Bot" with an AI or even NI, and some "mad kung fu skills" and a habit of carrying around melee weapons (and even shields) in addition to using other weapons and the boom gun...

Mine is Pre-rifts...it's in the Victorian age....

But to be honest something like this would be MASSIVELY heavy and have MDC out the exaust pipe....

I'd go with a borg for this idea.
taalismn wrote:

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

taalismn, good job :ok:

Aramanthus
Monk

Thanks for sharing those new ones Taalismn!! :ok:

HH....FIE
Rimmerdal
Knight

The glitterboy suddenly shines a bit brighter.... 8)
taalismn wrote:

taalismn
Priest

R Ditto wrote:I really like some of these ideas.

Oh, the possibilities...

Not to mention you can add many of those extras from the Bionics Sourcebook in...like increased mobilty and jump jets...or for a superspectacular Glitterborg....giant folding wings...

Imagine a high-mobility MirrorNinja GB, spinning in mid-air, reflecting enemy laser fire back into the squad of troops blazing away at him!

But that takes us out of the realm of the 'classic' GB-10 and into the field of spin-offs, variants, and 'faux' Glitterboys......Glitterborgs, SAMAborgs, Mastiffborgs....Heck, you could build a Heroes or Aliens Unlimited character whose power Alter Form: Metal, shapes him into a Glitterboy-lookalike...making for great situations with CS Glitterboy KIllers chasing a GB down a street, losing it around a corner, rounding the corner, only to find some whimpy-looking dude who's pointing 'he went that-a-way!', and blowing by the de-metalled Boom Master!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is very true Taalismn! Those are some interesting ideas!

HH....FIE
Rimmerdal
Knight

Aramanthus wrote:That is very true Taalismn! Those are some interesting ideas!

Indeed, I may dare a venture in that area....Never actually liked the glitter boy till this thread..

Now no one go making a Cyberknight Fan...... :P
taalismn wrote:

taalismn
Priest

Rimmerdal wrote:
Aramanthus wrote:That is very true Taalismn! Those are some interesting ideas!

Indeed, I may dare a venture in that area....Never actually liked the glitter boy till this thread..

Now no one go making a Cyberknight Fan...... :P

Go for it....The Glitterboy's often been compared to a Tank in concept...now look at a copy of Janes' Fighting Vehicles...you'll see hundreds of variants on the theme asthe technology has advanced from those old British lozengeshaped clunkers.....Heck, even Iran is building its own tanks...and on Rifts Earth, we already have Glitterboys being built in North America, Japan, South America, and Germany, and fan versions of the Glitterboy have begun popping up from Naruni, to various Three Galaxies firms...Don't like the Glitterboy as is? The engineering secrets are out, and loose in the megaverse...Custom-build your own to taste!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Somehow I missed this post until now. The legendary and variant GBs seem like a great idea. In my game there was a GB one of the players bought on the cheap from the Black Market. The reason it was so cheap was the ghost of it's original pilot(call it a haunting entity) wasn't ready to leave. She was as NEMA pilot on a mission to deliver an electronic copy of portions of the Library of Congress to a NEMA strongpoint during the coming of the Rifts. On the mission her unit was attacked and overrun, and she was trapped inside her armor under a colapsed building. The building happened to be on a Blue Line and her spirit never left. The group was haunted by the ghost until they took up the banner of finding the e-library and bringing it to the strongpoint. The big problem was who to bring it to? They took it to Lazlo (leaving a copy) then eventually to Chitown where the spirit finally left. The interesting thing was the GB armor had the standard resistance to lasers, but also to magical energy attacks.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Aramanthus
Monk

That's cool RockJock! Thank you for sharing that antedote! It fits in nicely. :ok:

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Truly a classic...in the theme of Old Soldiers Never Die(especially if they got discorporated on a ley line). :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

"Black Gloria"
Black Gloria is said to be one of the US-supplied GB-10s that participated in the Guarda Marta incident that helped trigger the Coming of the Rifts...and the power armor is forever cursed by the association....It is said that this Glitterboy, otherwise indistinguishable from other Chromium Guardsman on external inspection, bleeds black blood from the eye slits when in combat, and those who wear the armor bust make an ME save every time they take a life in the armor---or suffer a flash back memory of previous atrocitiessupposedly performed by Black Gloria. It is also said that whoever dons the cursed armor will age three times as fast, and bear painful marks on their body as a sign of their affiliation with Black Gloria----only a Remove Curse spell or years of clean living and acts of penance will cleanse a soul so tainted.
Despite the stigma attached to the armor, there are many who would readily step up to take their place inside Black Gloria. Why? Because the aura of dread and death is so great around this particular machine that it does 20% more damage on EVERY attack it makes...and its attacks also do DOUBLE damage to the supernatural! Some consider this a fair price for a little discomfort and an extra stain on their souls.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Jade Rage/ The Green Knight
Known in England broadly as the Green Knight, and locally as the 'Jade Rage', this particular Glitterboy is believed to have been one of an original consignment of NEMA-built Chromium Guardsmen assigned to Great Britain under the original NATO treaties.
Local legend has it that the armor was salvaged and rebuilt after it was found in Scotland----A crippled and vengeful leprechaun spent his entire hoarded fortune to rebuilt the GB after a group of 'knights'---actually black-hearted bandits---destroyed the village the leprechaun had adopted as his home, and killed the residents he'd adopted as his neighbors. Told that the old wrecked power armor was one of the 'greater human warmachines', the angry fayefolk hired the services of several renegade techs from Germany, a spriggan metalsmith, and several mages to rebuild the armor into an instrument of venegence.
The Green Knight, as it emerged, sports several cosmetic differences from standard GB-10s....the entire armor is clad in an emerald-green metallic chrome, and the helmet is redesigned with a more horn-like appearance to its head antennae, and a 'v-slit' faceplate. In addition to the rebuilt BoomGun, the Green Knight also sports the ability to fire volleys of 1-5 fairy arrows (any type) from its arms, with a rooster of its wrist and fingers. THe armor has been ensorcelled with such spells as Chameleon, Invisibility Superior, Impervious to Energy, Silence Cloaking System, Sphere of Silence(muffles the BoomGun), and it can apparently Ley Line Teleport. Originally, the Green Knight carried a claymore vibrosword(nicked from the wreckage of a Triax power armor), but recently has been seen carrying a Kittani Missile Shield and Plasma Axe(suggesting either a foray to the seige of New Splynn/London or an encounter with some of the Splugorth forces known to fairie-hunt along the coastline of western England).
The Green Knight has roamed the Scottish Highlands for several decades now...After tracking down and dispatching the bandits responsible for massacring an entire village, the Green Knight now defends a region of western Scotland from all comers, though it has occasionally been seen in other regions of the Emerald Isles, fighting in defense of various settlements, fairy communities, and the Millenium Trees...It is not known who pilots the rebuilt armor...it is said that several pilots have worn the armor over the years, all human changelings(human babies either kidnapped or otherwise adopted and raised by the Faaire-Folk) and that the most recent Green Knight is actually a girl! King Arr'Thuu has been several invitations to the Green Knight to join his Knights of New Camelot, but every one has been politely(and resolutely) turned down...Arr'Thuu is quietly and privately grateful his has no hotheads named 'Gawain' asking to act as emissary to the powerful exoarmor-clad warrior..
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:BIg Foot
'Big Foot' is an early model pre-Rifts Behemoth Explorer robot that still roams the arctic coastline of Canada....Originally known as AurEngCo Mobile Exploration Platform #3, attached to Aurora Energy Corporation, the giant robot supported various energy, minerology, and ecological study programs in the frozen NOrth, but ended up being cut off from civilization by the Coming of the Rifts.
The robot supposedly still exists, lovingly maintained by descendants of its original crew(and those who have been fortunate enough to be rescued and picked up). 'Big Foot' wanders from community to community, never venmturing INTO them, but passing nearby, and typically following the caribou migrations. Little is known of its crew, who conduct any business witrh outsiders while clad in all-concealing EBA of unusual pattern, but it's said that the robot is now powered by some sort of perpetual energy system---Some wilderness scouts claim to have seen the massive robot pulling down columns of energy from the northern auroras...And woe to those who seek to attack the machine and its crew! The last band of bandits who closed on the lumbering machine, thinking it easy pickings, were never seen again...only a massive mile-wide circle of tundra, fused into polychromatic glass, tells of their fate.
Exactly how does moss turn into glass?
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Exactly how does moss turn into glass?

A good deal of thermal energy, like some sort of lightning strike, wide area plasma blast, something with a wide covering thermal effect or even a nuclear blast, any of which might vaporize more or less anything on the surface (moss and all) and "melt" the ground, turning it into glass when it cools.
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
taalismn
Priest

R Ditto wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Exactly how does moss turn into glass?

A good deal of thermal energy, like some sort of lightning strike, wide area plasma blast, something with a wide covering thermal effect or even a nuclear blast, any of which might vaporize more or less anything on the surface (moss and all) and "melt" the ground, turning it into glass when it cools.

Exactly...organic matter goes up in smoke, but the remaining and underlying dirt, sand, and rock gets fused...with the pretty colors from any impurities(i.e. anything that was melted along with it)...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are some more cool ones Taalismn! :-D

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®”