Hypothetical Senario: Glitter Boy vs. Three SAMAS

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nomadic
Explorer

Re: Hypothetical Senario: Glitter Boy vs. Three SAMAS

Unread post by Nomadic »

Max™ wrote:I could kill four SAMAS with some luck and good positioning.

Put a GB in a tunnel with SAMAS that have to come into boomgun fire to reach him, he'll plug the thing with SAMAS debris before long.

Money Mouth.

You play the GB and I'll play the Samus. only 3 tho
popscythe
Adventurer
Comment: Mecha-sized flamethrowers, dudes! *woooooosh* :heart:

Unread post by popscythe »

Zer0 Kay wrote:In my game it is unless you want to loose initiative and 1d4 actions you'll make sure you fire from a secured possition.

Cool man, we'd better take that into account if we're running the test in your game.

Max™ wrote:The more 2 dimensional the battle ground becomes, the better the GB does.

I agree, keeping in mind that the more room the SAMs have to maneuver the harder they are to hit. Even if the GB is taking shots at them from far off, he's at a pretty high chance to hit, and the SAMs can burn all the actions they can't spend shooting dodging. For the GB the first few rounds would be like Space Invaders on NIGHTMARE. However, once the SAMs can fire back I've been thinking that they might be able to employ the draw fire technique flying in tight circles around the GB also, dodging like crazy while whoever isn't being tracked plinks the GB. Much riskier, I think, but maybe doable. Thoughts?
Zarathustra was extremely accurate. He was talking about you, man.
Whoops! Looks like I was wrong about where Mos Eisley's located.
Victorious on Final Jeopardy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilrszSXGiI
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Max™ wrote:The more 2 dimensional the battle ground becomes, the better the GB does.

I'd argue that the Samas also do better in a 2-dimensional battle ground, or flat, featureless plain, and therefore negates any bonuses the Glitter Boy might possibly gain.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

popscythe wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:In my game it is unless you want to loose initiative and 1d4 actions you'll make sure you fire from a secured possition.

Cool man, we'd better take that into account if we're running the test in your game.

Wow that was snobbish. So like we should take into account that Nekira is the Munchkin Fairy and would likely allow the jump and shoot with the detriment of being shot back to the ground somewhere. :wink: Or that the book does not say that the anchors have to be ENGAGED just DEPLOYED. :wink: So canonically and going STRICTLY by the book and the definition of words you can jump into the air pull the trigger and shoot. The pylons and claws will deploy but not find any purchase and the GB will fly backwards.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

While many of you would like to live in the world that is intended, the scenario resides in the world as written.

And the world as written is a dictatorship in how things are used.

Like the Glitterboys' pylons.

They deploy when the gun is fired.

Not deploy -> shoot -> sonic-boom.
It works as follows; shoot -> deploy -> sonic-boom.

The pulling of the trigger activates the pylons; it says so right in the description. "the plyons and recoil-compensation thrusters activate when the boomgun is fired". Meaning that the gun will go off whether the pylons are anchored or not.

And as for what was intended, the Glitterboy was a space-armor in the original concept. Still is too. As well, in previous editions the plyons were said to "punch through anything", and thanks to player-abuse they were reduced to instead having a listed damage because people were using them as an auto-kill weapon.

So what does this mean?
What was intended has no bearing on the conversation.
Only what is written does.

Just a friendly reminder people.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dog_O_War wrote:While many of you would like to live in the world that is intended, the scenario resides in the world as written.

The pulling of the trigger activates the pylons; it says so right in the description. "the plyons and recoil-compensation thrusters activate when the boomgun is fired". Meaning that the gun will go off whether the pylons are anchored or not.

And as for what was intended, the Glitterboy was a space-armor in the original concept. Still is too. As well, in previous editions the plyons were said to "punch through anything", and thanks to player-abuse they were reduced to instead having a listed damage because people were using them as an auto-kill weapon.

So what does this mean?

Funny page 222 in RMB states anchoring system deployed just before shooting. Now maybe you meant
trigger->deploy->shoot->sonic boom. I'm not shure, but that is the way the book states it. Um... the space GBs are made for space the one on Earth was developed for Earth.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
DvlsAdvc8
D-Bee

Unread post by DvlsAdvc8 »

Nevermind - delete
Last edited by DvlsAdvc8 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:While many of you would like to live in the world that is intended, the scenario resides in the world as written.

So what does this mean?

Funny page 222 in RMB states anchoring system deployed just before shooting. Now maybe you meant
trigger->deploy->shoot->sonic boom. I'm not shure, but that is the way the book states it. Um... the space GBs are made for space the one on Earth was developed for Earth.

Why are you quoting me like I didn't just say that?

I'll bold the part where you quoted me saying exactly this.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
popscythe
Adventurer

Dog_O_War wrote:They deploy when the gun is fired.

When, not after. Pulling a trigger can and does activate certain weapon systems that are not ONLY the weapon firing. A trigger is not a toggle, on certain weapons, applying pressure to the trigger closes a circuit that say activates a laser, or etc, but additional pressure is required to fire the weapon. As the pylons are clearly not digging through rock faster than the speed of sound, it is clear that pulling the trigger deploys the pylons and activates the compensator boosters then the weapon fires.

I believe you were being quoted because the part just above the part you bolded is wrong, and you attempted to reverse-justify yourself into being correct just now with your bold text.
facepalm.jpg is rarely so appropriate as when following something you have posted.
Dog_O_War
Champion

popscythe wrote:

When, not after. Pulling a trigger can and does activate certain weapon systems that are not ONLY the weapon firing. A trigger is not a toggle, on certain weapons, applying pressure to the trigger closes a circuit that say activates a laser, or etc, but additional pressure is required to fire the weapon. As the pylons are clearly not digging through rock faster than the speed of sound, it is clear that pulling the trigger deploys the pylons and activates the compensator boosters then the weapon fires.

It says they deploy "instantly". However fast "instantly" actually is really doesn't matter. So they clearly are digging through rock faster than the speed of sound because they have to. Infact, they're doing it faster than 5 times the speed of sound - because they have to.
So in this case, "instantly" is atleast greater than 5 times the speed of sound.
As well, you have zero evidence that "additional pressure is required to fire the weapon".

popscythe wrote:I believe you were being quoted because the part just above the part you bolded is wrong, and you attempted to reverse-justify yourself into being correct just now with your bold text.

How is it wrong?
Is it wrong because it lists an action and then the two subsequient reactions in the order they occur?
Because that's what I posted.
And if I wanted to correct myself, I'd've edited the post stating that a correction was made.
Which I have not.
All I did was show that the shoot action (re: the pulling of the trigger) was what activates the pylons. Not that the pylons activate, and then you shoot. As in - you don't need to activate the pylons in order to fire the gun. Which is what you posted. Which was wrong, and blatantly so.

popscythe wrote:facepalm.jpg is rarely so appropriate as when following something you have posted.

You keep saying this, and yet you haven't been right on the appropriation even once. Which means it's still for you.

Really, you need a new "thing" as sarcasm, wit, and correct responses are not your strong suits. And if it's just something you're trying out, well it doesn't really fit you.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
popscythe
Adventurer

Dog_O_War wrote:How is it wrong?

It's wrong because you are deliberately interpreting the wording dishonestly to attempt to "prove" that the GB must be defying physics, when the intention of the piece as written is absolutely clear.

Why is it that in the vast majority of your discussions, you deliberately twist the rules at written to try to discredit the system in response to you being told that you are wrong?
It's the "slow juicer" all over again. You grab some wording, interpret it in the most illogical way possible, and then insist that if anything is wrong with your interpretation, it's the book's fault.
Why? We're trying to talk about a fight between things in the system as worded/intended. Is that discussion not good enough for you? If it isn't, you could definitely stand to stop posting in the thread.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dog_O_War wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

So what does this mean?

Why are you quoting me like I didn't just say that?

I'll bold the part where you quoted me saying exactly this.

Funny then how did you possibly get that it is shoot -> deploy -> boom. When page 222 clearly says deploys BEFORE, you know what before means right? Before shooting. So it is nice that we said that same line but you came out with the wrong results. Just because the trigger is pulled doesn't mean that the immediate effect is a shot. Apparently it isn't a mechanical trigger.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dog_O_War wrote:
popscythe wrote:

It says they deploy "instantly". However fast "instantly" actually is really doesn't matter. So they clearly are digging through rock faster than the speed of sound because they have to. Infact, they're doing it faster than 5 times the speed of sound - because they have to.
So in this case, "instantly" is atleast greater than 5 times the speed of sound.
As well, you have zero evidence that "additional pressure is required to fire the weapon".

popscythe wrote:I believe you were being quoted because the part just above the part you bolded is wrong, and you attempted to reverse-justify yourself into being correct just now with your bold text.

How is it wrong?
Is it wrong because it lists an action and then the two subsequient reactions in the order they occur?
Because that's what I posted.
And if I wanted to correct myself, I'd've edited the post stating that a correction was made.
Which I have not.
All I did was show that the shoot action (re: the pulling of the trigger) was what activates the pylons. Not that the pylons activate, and then you shoot. As in - you don't need to activate the pylons in order to fire the gun. Which is what you posted. Which was wrong, and blatantly so.

popscythe wrote:facepalm.jpg is rarely so appropriate as when following something you have posted.

You keep saying this, and yet you haven't been right on the appropriation even once. Which means it's still for you.

Really, you need a new "thing" as sarcasm, wit, and correct responses are not your strong suits. And if it's just something you're trying out, well it doesn't really fit you.

1) Funny you have less than zero evidence that the gun fires and then deploys the pylons. Especially when it states that the pylon is deployed moments before the gun is fired. Moments is a vague reference and could and the word deployed could be used as either initial deployment in the past or completed the deployment in the past. So it can be read either as it just starts the anchor sequence just before it fires a shot or it could be read (and makes more sense) as It completes deployment moments before the shot is actually fired.
2) How is your series of actions correct? Where does it say pulling the trigger immediately fires the shot, you have no support in this while I have page 222 saying that it is pylon, shot, boom and something has to activate it so it must be trigger, pylon, shot, boom. Pulling a trigger does not equal shooting. You can go to a range without any rounds loaded and pull the trigger all you want and you won't be shooting. I don't recall him saying the pilot activates the anchoring system by flicking some toggle switch other than the trigger... which by the way deploys the pylon before it fires the round.
3)See your somewhat right here about pop being wrong as it isn't facepalm he need with you but we all need when dealing with you :frust: as a palm is far to soft for an example of your apparent lack of reading, decoding and interpretation skills go, your nonage is just far to thick ranking in MDC.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

popscythe wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:How is it wrong?

It's wrong because you are deliberately interpreting the wording dishonestly to attempt to "prove" that the GB must be defying physics, when the intention of the piece as written is absolutely clear.

Why is it that in the vast majority of your discussions, you deliberately twist the rules at written to try to discredit the system in response to you being told that you are wrong?
It's the "slow juicer" all over again. You grab some wording, interpret it in the most illogical way possible, and then insist that if anything is wrong with your interpretation, it's the book's fault.
Why? We're trying to talk about a fight between things in the system as worded/intended. Is that discussion not good enough for you? If it isn't, you could definitely stand to stop posting in the thread.

Good luck trying to get him to stop.

So anyway, where were we? Oh yeah so we're running the test in Nekira's game and she'd likely allow a freaking jump kick from a jet assisted leap deploying the pylon into your apponent, retracting it doing another jet assisted leap off of him and then firing the boom gun. Rolling PP and/or Gymnastics, while your fliping end over end and spinning (clockwise from above), in order to land in the classic Ninja Gaiden kneeling possition with one fist on the ground and the other arm stretched out behind you. Yeah I think that is flashy enough :)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Max™ wrote:*could totally see Nek trying to slide that past a GM, except she'd also toss in the specification that this GB was dual wielding boomguns, that fired rune flechettes*

:P

right now you are making me upset they don't have a ROFLMAO emote or a ROFLCOPTER or even a SPRAY MILK OUT NOSE emote. :) Shi... oot, rune flechettes. :nh: now she's gonna do that and of course because she fired both BGs it cancels out the spin and so she's just flipping which makes the landing easier or some crud like that :)
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

You guys are being retarded.

Have you never heard of something happening at the same time? Or Near it?

Trigger-->Pylons,Claws,Thrusters-->Boom All happens in a split sec.

If it didn't then the GB would never hit anything. If there was a major delay (half a sec or more) between pulling the trigger and the round going off it would be impossible to hit anything. Anyone who has fired at a moving target will know this.
popscythe
Adventurer

Nomadic wrote:If there was a major delay (half a sec or more) between pulling the trigger and the round going off it would be impossible to hit anything. Anyone who has fired at a moving target will know this.

Well... besides the fact that what I've quoted isn't true (you just get used to the delay) that's not what's being said here. By me, at least. The argument is about what happens in what order, which is really just sophistry to distract from the real argument. All I was saying is that taking up the trigger creep activates the pylons and the thrusters right before firing. That's the most logical assumption as to how the system works, just like some weapon lasers. (not to be confused with laser weapons) In reality, the whole issue was brought up because "PALLADIUM DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE AND IT SAYS IN THE BOOK THE PYLONS SHOOT YOU TO THE MOON AND THAT WOULD MEAN THAT GB IS INVISIBLE 12 HOURS AFTER SOLAR ECLIPSES AND SINCE THE GAME DOESN'T MAKE SENSE I WIN THE ARGUMENT" by some poster.

Not sure why, really.
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

popscythe wrote:
Nomadic wrote:If there was a major delay (half a sec or more) between pulling the trigger and the round going off it would be impossible to hit anything. Anyone who has fired at a moving target will know this.

Well... besides the fact that what I've quoted isn't true (you just get used to the delay) that's not what's being said here. By me, at least. The argument is about what happens in what order, which is really just sophistry to distract from the real argument. All I was saying is that taking up the trigger creep activates the pylons and the thrusters right before firing. That's the most logical assumption as to how the system works, just like some weapon lasers. (not to be confused with laser weapons) In reality, the whole issue was brought up because "PALLADIUM DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE AND IT SAYS IN THE BOOK THE PYLONS SHOOT YOU TO THE MOON AND THAT WOULD MEAN THAT GB IS INVISIBLE 12 HOURS AFTER SOLAR ECLIPSES AND SINCE THE GAME DOESN'T MAKE SENSE I WIN THE ARGUMENT" by some poster.

Not sure why, really.

It makes perfect sense if you add a little thought to it. Tho I would imagine that some of the players have a higher IQ than others :P
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nomadic wrote:You guys are being retarded.

If it didn't then the GB would never hit anything. If there was a major delay (half a sec or more) between pulling the trigger and the round going off it would be impossible to hit anything. Anyone who has fired at a moving target will know this.

:nh: Yeah because when you are firing at a moving target you have no time to aim and lead. While you are aiming and leading you could have already partially depressed the trigger deploying those pylons. The pylons can't instantly burrow through MDC material. So your saying... never stand on MDC material? No roads, no ship hulls in space, etc...
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

popscythe wrote:

Not sure why, really.

Not to be a nit pick... ok never mind, nit-picking. The thrusters would fire at the same time as the shot otherwise it isn't countering the recoil but anticipating it so the GB will still feel as much of the kick as without. It's like in JKD where your tought to smack the ground just as you hit to distribute the energy. It's like the difference between someone holding you while someone is punching you and someone pushing you into the punch. I guess the real difference is that if they activate before it fires it will be pushing you foward... there shouldn't be any where to go. If it fires at the same time the gun fires it seems TO ME that it is countering the backwards momentum of the upper torso. Maybe I'm just thinking it would be innefficient.

:shock: and that last part... yeah, you just confused me. :P
popscythe
Adventurer

Zer0 Kay wrote:The thrusters would fire at the same time as the shot

I agree, my example was flawed in that respect. It also says that the GB can thrust around underwater, so clearly it's not intended to be doing so with the pylons deployed. I wasn't really thinking that the GB pilot has the thrusters firing and pylons deployed and then waits to fire for any length of time, I was just saying that triggering the thrusters and pylons probably happens *very* briefly before the shot actually goes off, like in the space between a trigger being pulled part of the way, and the trigger being pulled the rest of the way. However, in my example I cited those handgun lasers, which work by the shooter holding the trigger at half depression. If the GB pilot did that and it caused the thrusters to go off at full power, he'd clearly get thrown forward except for his feet "ski boots" style.

I was being facetious with the whole GB to the moon thing. Just implying that I think it got brought up to distract from the real argument, not as a real point within the real argument.
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

:nh: Yeah because when you are firing at a moving target you have no time to aim and lead. While you are aiming and leading you could have already partially depressed the trigger deploying those pylons. The pylons can't instantly burrow through MDC material. So your saying... never stand on MDC material? No roads, no ship hulls in space, etc...

I guess it depends on how you read it. I've never read that the pilot could control the pylons. I've always ran it as a insta burrow. Does it make perfect sense? No, but it is a hell of alot better then waiting an action to burrow. What do you make your players do? Wait an action then fire?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

popscythe wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:The thrusters would fire at the same time as the shot

I agree, my example was flawed in that respect. It also says that the GB can thrust around underwater, so clearly it's not intended to be doing so with the pylons deployed. I wasn't really thinking that the GB pilot has the thrusters firing and pylons deployed and then waits to fire for any length of time, I was just saying that triggering the thrusters and pylons probably happens *very* briefly before the shot actually goes off, like in the space between a trigger being pulled part of the way, and the trigger being pulled the rest of the way. However, in my example I cited those handgun lasers, which work by the shooter holding the trigger at half depression. If the GB pilot did that and it caused the thrusters to go off at full power, he'd clearly get thrown forward except for his feet "ski boots" style.

I was being facetious with the whole GB to the moon thing. Just implying that I think it got brought up to distract from the real argument, not as a real point within the real argument.

:lol: Ski boots style :)

Hey dave why is there this GB head shaped impression in front of you?

Shut up I don't want to talk about it.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nomadic wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

I guess it depends on how you read it. I've never read that the pilot could control the pylons. I've always ran it as a insta burrow. Does it make perfect sense? No, but it is a hell of alot better then waiting an action to burrow. What do you make your players do? Wait an action then fire?

Tell you the truth most of my players don't pick GB's but I would make it depend based on the surface. Maybe tell them that there are three little lights. When they pull the trigger a red, yellow or green light comes on the red happens if the material is super tough and lets the pilot know that if they fire they will likely be knocked back. Yellow means the surface was hard and the pylon has only deployed between half to 100% and there is the unlikely chance they will be knocked down and then there is green which is full deployment and unless they are deploying in sand or other soft materials or on top of a car they are sure to have a steady firing possition. I also don't think that the pylons return until the GB trys moving its feet, that way it doesn't have to redeploy and potentially make the anchor unsecure. So based on the material it could take up to three actions but as little as none.
popscythe
Adventurer

Nomadic wrote:Wait an action then fire?

Nobody said that, amigo, it all takes place in one action. It's the order it happens within that action that was unfortunately brought up for debate.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

popscythe wrote:
Nomadic wrote:Wait an action then fire?

Nobody said that, amigo, it all takes place in one action. It's the order it happens within that action that was unfortunately brought up for debate.

Correction... no one said it until I said that I'd give my players the option because the laser won't instantly burrow to full extension in all materials. Of corse the funny thing with actions is that it means that a higher level GB pilot can somehow make his pylons burrow faster than a noobs... maybe it is just experience and knowing how to always be on the lookout for fractures? Dunnoh, hope I never have to deal with a GB PC.
popscythe
Adventurer

I was pretty sure this discussion closed itself before I finished reading it, but it was actually that I read it and it contained very little in the last page. :o
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Max™ wrote:If you had a light in your house that turned on 200 milliseconds after you hit the switch, swapping to one with no delay would trick your brains sense of time into thinking it came on before you hit the switch.

If the GB software did the same thing, you would compensate your aim for the actual shot going off accordingly, but the pylons would fire before you thought you pulled the trigger.

As aiming is just drawing a triangle between your eyes/the weapon/the target, then maintaining the relationship if the target moves accordingly, you would compensate for the firing being off by a fraction of a second and claim it was instant.

If you were shown a signal indicating the pylons fired, in a little HUD window, without the same delay as your brain registers being "simultaneous" with the actual firing, you'd literally claim they went off before you pulled the trigger.

I think the aiming in PA's that have mounted guns is probably done through the gun's sensor and not aiming through the viewport across the barrel of the gun.

It doesn't really matter what the pilot thinks about when it goes off.
popscythe
Adventurer

What if he's thinking about tetris? If you were used to tetris and your light bulb switched off would you literally actually specifically importantly believe that the light bulb played tetris before it actually got to level 9?
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

I would like to add that MDC material is "super tough" and the GB pylons are stated as being able to deploy into Megacrete (an MDC material) just as fast as they do a non MDC material.
And Popscythe is correct it's trigger-> deploy-> fire->sonic boom.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Dog_O_War
Champion

keir451 wrote:I would like to add that MDC material is "super tough" and the GB pylons are stated as being able to deploy into Megacrete (an MDC material) just as fast as they do a non MDC material.

Actually, that's what I posted. Except that I didn't include the word "trigger". I used "shoot".

shoot -> deploy -> sonic-boom.

Shoot being the operative word; shooting a gun requires the pulling of the trigger.

Popscythe posted the following;
"It says in the book that the boom gun can't fire if the pylons are not deployed."

Which is ludicrus because you have to fire the gun in order to deploy the pylons.

And where does this put us?

10+ posts of nothing but arguing over the order of operations I posted.
And why 10+ posts? Because some people can't see beyond their own egos to set aside personal feelings to acknowledge someone whom they think is perpetually wrong (for whatever reason). Two neutral parties later saying exactly what I did and now we have people finally in agreeance that the order of operations is infact;

shoot -> deploy -> sonic-boom. Just as it was said 10+ posts ago.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

popscythe wrote:What if he's thinking about tetris? If you were used to tetris and your light bulb switched off would you literally actually specifically importantly believe that the light bulb played tetris before it actually got to level 9?

:lol: :thwak: bad pop. :nh: :D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

keir451 wrote:I would like to add that MDC material is "super tough" and the GB pylons are stated as being able to deploy into Megacrete (an MDC material) just as fast as they do a non MDC material.

Oh careful your going to open up the old debate that you can then use them to breach hulls instantly or go through both sides of a person in power armor.

"Yeah, so I went and stripped this thing of an old GB and check out how easy it was to end that guy. Just put it up to his head and push the button, I put in so it thinks the GB pulled the trigger, and whammo."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dog_O_War wrote:

Actually, that's what I posted. Except that I didn't include the word "trigger". I used "shoot".

shoot -> deploy -> sonic-boom.

Shoot being the operative word; shooting a gun requires the pulling of the trigger.

Popscythe posted the following;
"It says in the book that the boom gun can't fire if the pylons are not deployed."

Which is ludicrus because you have to fire the gun in order to deploy the pylons.

And where does this put us?

10+ posts of nothing but arguing over the order of operations I posted.
And why 10+ posts? Because some people can't see beyond their own egos to set aside personal feelings to acknowledge someone whom they think is perpetually wrong (for whatever reason). Two neutral parties later saying exactly what I did and now we have people finally in agreeance that the order of operations is infact;

shoot -> deploy -> sonic-boom. Just as it was said 10+ posts ago.

Nope shoot equals a round coming out of the barrel. You don't pull the trigger of an unloaded pistol that you have up to someones head and say I shot him. You don't go to a shooting range just to pull a trigger. You don't depress a drigger when you shoot a rubber band. You are missusing shoot to mean the pulling of the trigger. The phrase I shoot the gun. Means that you fired a round out of the gun. You can't shoot an unloaded gun no matter how many times you pull the trigger. While even if the GB's BG is unloaded the pulling of the trigger will deploy the pylons. So shoot, deploy, sonic boom is as it was 10+ posts ago, incorrect. It is depress the trigger, deploy, shoot/fire/expel, sonic-boom. So if my definition of shoot and pops and almost everyone... no, everyone elses definition of shoot is wrong and yours is right you may want to contact merriam-webster and correct them as well as dictionary.com and Encarta and Wiktionary
ALL of them state that too shoot is to fire or discharge the weapon. Rifts states that the pylons deploy just before the weapon is fired.

How are you going to try to turn this around to make it look like your right? How are you going to try to make it look like we and every single dictionary are idiots? You going to try to find one instance where it says pull trigger (fyi:there isn't I already searched for trigger and anything relating to causing to fire rather than actually firing the weapon). Simply put the word shoot means you are firing the weapon and Rifts says pylons deploy first. The depressing/pulling/pushing (whatever you want to use) of the trigger, especially in a gun that is more circuits than moving parts, doesn't have to shoot the weapon first. It (the actuating of the trigger) could start a process in circuitry that will first deploy the pylons and claws and then shoot/fire/discharge/evacuate the round which upon leaving the barrel will have enough speed to create a sonic shockwave.
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

I think everone has gotten off track.

personaly I see it as one action. And the pylons pull up after a very short ammount of time. IE just after the shot, maybe .02secs to .5 secs as to not interfer with dodging.

The only time I say a GB can't dodge is with the person on the reciving end of the Shot does an attack to the GB.

Example.
GB Fires and the other person has decleared they are not dodging but using actions to fire back.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:Nope shoot equals a round coming out of the barrel. You don't pull the trigger of an unloaded pistol that you have up to someones head and say I shot him. You don't go to a shooting range just to pull a trigger. You don't depress a drigger when you shoot a rubber band. You are missusing shoot to mean the pulling of the trigger.

No I'm not.
I'm using shoot because it's the appropriate action-word here. I don't "trigger my gun", I shoot it.

Zer0 Kay wrote:The phrase I shoot the gun. Means that you fired a round out of the gun.

Go back to school, learn the difference between past and present-tense. Then maybe we can have a proper conversation where you don't think everything I say is wrong simply because you're ignorant. And I mean that in a nice way, as advice because this - what we have here - is not working.

Zer0 Kay wrote:You can't shoot an unloaded gun no matter how many times you pull the trigger. While even if the GB's BG is unloaded the pulling of the trigger will deploy the pylons. So shoot, deploy, sonic boom is as it was 10+ posts ago, incorrect. It is depress the trigger, deploy, shoot/fire/expel, sonic-boom.

This is why we can't agree on anything; because you seemingly refuse to read the material you're talking about. It says right in the book that the pylons are deployed each time the boomgun is fired. "The pylons and jets fly into action the moment the Boom Gun is fired". This is found on page 72 of R:UE under the Weapon Systems heading, RG-14 Rapid Acceleration Electromagnetic Rail Gun, second paragraph, last sentence.
You also refuse to read the posts of other posters, because I said this already - 10+ posts ago. I literally said; "the pulling of the trigger is what activates the pylons". 10+ posts ago you tried to tell me I was "wrong", now you're repeating what I said nearly verbatum like I never said it.

Zer0 Kay wrote:So if my definition of shoot and pops and almost everyone... no, everyone elses definition of shoot is wrong and yours is right you may want to contact merriam-webster and correct them as well as dictionary.com and Encarta and Wiktionary

See, you're so caught-up here in attempting to prove that I used the word "shoot" wrong that you have no idea how I even used the word.
Here we have you listing four dictionaries all defining the word shoot very accurately. That doesn't really have any sway on your arguement though because I never used the word improperly. All I said was that shooting the gun is what activated the pylons. This is a fact; I've even listed book, page, heading, and paragraph as to where it says this.

Here, I'll post another definition from the very sites you've quoted;
This is shoot
Amazingly they have listed the following;
4.to discharge (a weapon): to shoot a gun.
Incredible how they'd put such a definition in there.

Gee, I wonder how a person would possibly discharge a gun? :roll:
Maybe it's the pulling of the trigger that does it? :roll:
I wonder what else the pulling of the trigger does when put in the context of the Glitterboys' Boomgun.....
Maybe it also deploys the pylons? :roll:

Zer0 Kay wrote:How are you going to try to turn this around to make it look like your right?

Turn it around?
Make it look like I'm right?
I don't need to. I was never wrong to begin with; you just have this amazing ability to completely misunderstand anything and everything I post.

Zer0 Kay wrote:How are you going to try to make it look like we and every single dictionary are idiots?

You say this like I'm quoting everyone here. I'm only quoting you and Popscythe because you're the only two that don't seem to "get it".
And my word-usage never parted from the dictionaries' definition, so it looks like I don't need to make the dictionary look like an idiot. :roll:

Zer0 Kay wrote:You going to try to find one instance where it says pull trigger (fyi:there isn't I already searched for trigger and anything relating to causing to fire rather than actually firing the weapon). Simply put the word shoot means you are firing the weapon and Rifts says pylons deploy first. The depressing/pulling/pushing (whatever you want to use) of the trigger, especially in a gun that is more circuits than moving parts, doesn't have to shoot the weapon first.

Or I could not and let the text of the action speak for itself.
Which I did, above.

Zer0 Kay wrote:It (the actuating of the trigger) could start a process in circuitry that will first deploy the pylons and claws and then shoot/fire/discharge/evacuate the round which upon leaving the barrel will have enough speed to create a sonic shockwave.

Yes, it could.
But it doesn't.
It deploys the pylons the moment the weapon is fired. Not before, but after. Hence the past-tense usage of the word "fire".
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Kalidor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kalidor »

Personally, I hate this topic and it pisses me off everytime I see it bumped.

What are you even talking about anymore?
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Kalidor wrote:Personally, I hate this topic and it pisses me off everytime I see it bumped.

What are you even talking about anymore?

If you hate it so, why did you even bother to both select it and post on it? :roll:

If you have no interest in the discussion, don't even look at it.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D

Return to “Rifts®”