Alternate Dimensions

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

THAT I hadn't heard of...by 'bomb', I assume aircraft, or sabotage? If the former, what would they have had as asets that would allow them to do that?! Pre-War FRance was lacking in adequate bombers and they'd have to base them from somewhere. Seaplanes?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

taalismn wrote:THAT I hadn't heard of...by 'bomb', I assume aircraft, or sabotage? If the former, what would they have had as asets that would allow them to do that?! Pre-War FRance was lacking in adequate bombers and they'd have to base them from somewhere. Seaplanes?

Massive air raids were planned - but the article I read admitted
that even if they were launched from French bases from the borderign
Middle Eastern colonies, they most likely would have failed.

But even if they succeded - this would have given the Reich
much more time to deal with France and Engand.

For you see, Hitler was convinced (frighteneng fact, but
resufacing evidence from slowly opening Soviet/Russian
achives indicate that he might have been right) that Stalin
plans a backstab.

Now, with that French raid, Stalin would have postponed this
backstab, so the operation Seadler probably would have knocked
out England form the war, so...

History is grim. The present is probably also, but information
about how grim it is... Well, it is usually not aviable for the
contemporary observer.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Holy cow KLM! I hadn't heard that one before! Here I am a history minor and I hadn't heard that one. Where did you find that one about France wanting to bomb the Russian oil fields? I'd love to know! I have heard and read things Taalismn on the "Rape of Nanking". :x I hate the attrocities man can carry out on another man! :nh: It should never happen again!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Aramanthus wrote:Holy cow KLM! I hadn't heard that one before! Here I am a history minor and I hadn't heard that one. Where did you find that one about France wanting to bomb the Russian oil fields? I'd love to know!

Some - IMO creditable - military/history magazine in Hungarian,
but unfortunately a few years ago and I did not bother checking
the sources...

What makes this point beleivable, is that the Soviet Union around
that time occupied the Baltic States, bullied Romania, attacked
Finnland and of course Poland, so by that time Stalin was wieved
as much as a threat as Hitler (it was later, when the "west" accepted
the Soviet Union as ally).

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

That does make sense KLM. I remember the other historical things you mentioned. Thank you for sharing that! :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Yep...and during the Korean War, American aircraft on two occasions accidentally strayed into Russian airspace and shot up Russian airbases(ironically equipped with old lend-lease American Airacobras) and even dog-fought with Russian fighters(the American crews were reprimanded, the Russian officers likely shot for their negligence)...Still, if the Russians had used it as an excuse to actively come in on the Chinese side in the Korean War....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

taalismn wrote:Yep...and during the Korean War, American aircraft on two occasions accidentally strayed into Russian airspace and shot up Russian airbases(ironically equipped with old lend-lease American Airacobras) and even dog-fought with Russian fighters(the American crews were reprimanded, the Russian officers likely shot for their negligence)...

Since it looks like there is solid evidence of Russian/Soviet
pilots flying over Korea (and Vietnam, and Egypt, and...),
those pilots were only punished if they were not able to
down at least one intruder.

Early warning officers however...

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Prior to WW1, France actually had a lead in submarine technology, investing in torpedo boat and submarine research as a cheaper means of competing with Britain's mighty fleet...

Suppose the French had not lost the race in U-Boat technology to the Germans and instead built a far-ranging submarine navy operating from their many colonial possessions?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

The slaughter of Carthage by the Romans caused a mini-Rift event raising global PPE levels to that of the Palladium world....THe Roman Empire is now the major global force standing between the Western world and a demon invasion as part of the Minion Wars....Elsewhere on the globe, as in China and Americas, similar incursions take place, pitting the major powers of the time against an influx of (thankfully SDC, but still damned tough) demons.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Those were some very interesting alternate universes. It's going to be awhile before I come out of this very deep depression! Sorry all. Once I'm out of it I'll add good material, I promise.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Take your time, we understand.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm still planning on being around alot of what I see helps bring a smile to me. Which is always a good thing.

HH....FIE
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I just read a story in Poul Anderson's "Dark Between the Stars" that posited that Alexander didn't die from his fever, but was able to consolidate his gains, take over the world (including the Romans).

The protagonist of the story was from that reality, and was visiting others. He wound up in one where Christianity and Islam were crushed early, and the "barbarians" wound up colonizing the Americas... and he gets chased out a Danish settlement for making a pass at one of the boys.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
taalismn
Priest

The Interdimensional Information Auditors catch up with one of their rogue employees...Kevin Siembda...trying to nap him under the guise of a fan cosplay at a Palladium Open House...Unfortunately, their dimensional transport gets 'jacked by a streetgang in a nearby street, the gang attempts to remove the funky-looking stereo, and accidentally shorts out the disguise function...in front of pursuing cops and a news chopper...

KS claims asylum, surrounded by Palladiumites who protect him from G-Men trying to whisk him to secret arrest, Palladium stock soars, as world nation intelligence services start buying up the RPG books looking for data on the other universes now revealed as truth...Guardians of Gaming immediately claims they too are dimensional renegades, TSR and SJG make the same claims, and several other companies declaim the whole thing as a publicity stunt, while hiring hitmen...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are great ones! I particularly like the one with KS! :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Mount Saint Helens starts a chain-reaction explosion of volcanic mountains in the North West...ash fall spreads over much of the northern states and short-term causes chaos and crop damage...much of Washington and Oregon is devastated, and the USA turns its attention to rebuilding the effected states, rather than on foreign policy.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

And if that happens imagine if Yellowstone joins it! And what if several other volcanos around the world go off at the same time! That would be very nasty!

I think yours is very good! I would hate to be in that world!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Get's worse if Hawaii gets blown into orbit...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

As long as the Battleship Missouri can be moved in time to prevent it from becoming Star Cruiser Missouri! :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Hmmm...would that change the definition of 'territorial waters'?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Might, unless the submarine bases are in place!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Chaos Earth Meets 'The Omega Man'

The Golden Age of Man has ended, not with a bang, but with a wheezing cough...A plague that has defied all attempts to cure and contain it has swept the Earth, killing over 95% of the human race....A few humans survive, but in deep bunkers, suspended animation, or huddled in hiding, fearing contact with other humans...The Orbitals are curiously silent, but apparently some sort of orbital quarantine has been set in place...the last anybody knows is that any attempt to leave the Earth's surface and escape into space is destroyed, no warnings given...
Across the globe, Artifical Intelligences are still active...and puzzled by the silence...was the virus a natural mutant? An engineered weapon? And if the latter, engineered by who? Or What? ARCHIE-3 has been placed in charge of keeping watch over a group of humans locked in stasis, but he dares not bring them out until he is certain the environment is safe for them, and to do that, he must find out the specifics of the plague...Other AIs have the same idea, and are doing what they can to both survive amidst a crumbling infrastructure, and find answers to the apparent extinction of their creators...The NORAD AI and Archie 3 have both decided to send scout robots to the LoneStar Complex...its genetic labs may yield answers...But NORAD has seen data of animal-like beings around the complex? Escapoed experimental animals? Or something else?
Some AIs have come to a different conclusion...the plague was created by one of their one,,,and that aberrant AI is still out there with its own agenda...
The Age of the Machines is here, but what are the Machines going to do?

(a setting for Robot PCs!)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very interesting ideas! That world would be a scary place to live. Good place for and evil GM! :D

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Yeah humanity would live most likely. But it would be a heck of a struggle. What if in that situation that all of the medical professionals died off due to their contact with the illness. So therefore no biologist specialized in viral or bacteria research.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Okay...9.9999% okay? Adjust accordinglyto produce empty streets and silent buildings...with the occasional mysterious scuttling noise or darting shadow...

Plus ARCHIE-3 doesn't have anybody to give him new ideas, so he's struggling for inspiration for his new robot probes...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

So only 9.9999% die off we'll be fine! That might give us some breathing room. :D

Or do you mean 99.9999%?

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

The latter...

Oops...

Ain't you glad now that you're a Transferred Intelligence? Not regreting that drunken night in the computer lab anymore?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL :lol: You got that right Taalismn! :lol: :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Just make sure you got offroad capability...roads are going to be a mess...

Come to think of it, and this could almost be another thread...if you were to be a Transferred Intelligence robot, what sort of body would you have?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Imagine getting stuck in a hybrid cyber donkey/ horse. Life would really bite!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Imagine getting stuck in a hybrid cyber donkey/ horse. Life would really bite!

Surefooted, lots of speed, heavy chassis...lack of hands would be a problem(unless you had retractable manipulators)..
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

And don't forget an inbred stuborness that can't be rivaled anywhere.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:And don't forget an inbred stuborness that can't be rivaled anywhere.

That would be in-programmed, if you had a sub-AI inside the robot frame with you...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I've known some people that stuborn. I myself have been accused of being that stuborn once in awhile.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:I've known some people that stuborn. I myself have been accused of being that stuborn once in awhile.

Ah, but mule-like stubbornness aside, what sort of a robotic body would you wear for exploring a world bereft of humans?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

A spider like body qwith the ability to climb any surface would be a good one. Maybe it could have some little UAVs built in to look around at vast areas.

HH....FIE
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

if it could be any size?

most likely .. a hummingbird .. at the 'normal size' for one of them ... tiny and agile.
hover nodes instead of flapping the wings tho .. but hey, thats my choice
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Aramanthus
Monk

A UAV at the size you are talking about would almost be unnoticable. Great idea! And if you could have it's color be adjusted by computers. Say it could have it's back match the ground below it and the belly to resemble the sky. Therefore it would be camouflagued.

HH....FIE
Library Ogre

Probably already mentioned, but a dimension where the initial Atlantean accident never happened. Earth's magical energy flowed naturally for the next few millenia, and magic was never lost as a technology.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Aramanthus
Monk

Actually Mark that is new! Great one. That could use some serious fleshing out. It would make a great jumping off point for a campaign! Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
Library Ogre

It flowed from a basic idea I have about Palladium Fantasy... the reason technology is depressed there is because magic was necessary after the Age of Chaos... there was no technology that could stand up to the MDC monsters that were roaming the land. So, magic became where you went if you needed a solution.

All Palladium Articles
Aramanthus
Monk

It is very logical and makes a lot of sense!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

shiiv-a wrote:if it could be any size?

most likely .. a hummingbird .. at the 'normal size' for one of them ... tiny and agile.
hover nodes instead of flapping the wings tho .. but hey, thats my choice

And a nice choice it is....easily overlooked, but sneaky.... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Mark Hall wrote:Probably already mentioned, but a dimension where the initial Atlantean accident never happened. Earth's magical energy flowed naturally for the next few millenia, and magic was never lost as a technology.

What if the Atlantian disaster was shorter-lived than the Atlantians realized? Soon after the majority of them abandoned Earth/were cut off from it, the island-continent resurfaced/phased back in, to be re-discovered by the rest of Earth's (more primitive) peoples...Atlantis becomes disputed/raided by European and African tribes, and possibly Carribs, seeking the magic of the 'Wizards' Island'....Remaining Atlantians try to re-establish a foothold on the island while trying to find a way to get back in contact with their kinfolk, and avoiding the mainlanders and their superstitions...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

You have Atlantis...regreening, covered by ruins and potential treasure...Magic levels have died down...but there may be still a little PPE stored in various artifacts...technological items(playthings that Atlantian smiths were creating...the real work was done by magic...but still advanced by the rest of the world's standards) laying in the ruins...Maybe a few transplanted demonic beings who can only survive in the PPE-depleted terrestrial environment by drinking the lifeforce of unwary explorers....Phoenicians, Romans, later on Vikings, who come to dare the deep oceans and the fabled(but in this alternity very real) land of legends, start colonies along the coast, and send parties inland to explore and exploit the new land,,,and fight each other along the way...Surviving Atlanteans can be those trying to rebuild their lost home(or build communications devices or dimensional pyramids to sleep in until rescue arrives), keep ancient treasures out of the hands of the barbarians, or even try to bring civilization to the new peoples of Earth...some are genuine survivors, others are exiles banished to the mainlands before the great catastrophe for various crimes, many are quite insane...others see the fall of magic as eventually leading to the foreshortening of their long lifespans and race to find ways to lengthen their lives...others simply want to pass on the bitter lessons of Atlantean hubris on to the overlooked other peoples of Earth...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are both excellent ideas for an alternate universe! I think they are very cool!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Later on, of course, we can have the Spanish and English fight it out on the Channel using their hoarded Atlantean power crystals... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

It would be cool to see what sort of battle that would be like using their advanced Atlantean technology.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Or rather their misunderstood technology...and with magic on the wane, irreplaceable Atlantean magic-relics...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Yeah, that would be pretty cool too. Although if it's magic tech. Hopefully it's a rune weapon. That way they could eventually recover it after they regain their minds from the illconcieved war they were having when they lost the devices.

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”