South American Amazon psionics

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Pox
Dungeon Crawler

South American Amazon psionics

Unread post by Pox »

Just wondering how you all have handled the fact that they get the Psi-sword at 1st level.

Would you treat it like the Cyber-Knight's (lesser) Psi-sword or go by the psionic rules and disregard Carella's writings and hold it to 3rd level like the psi-power says?
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: South American Amazon psionics

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Pox wrote:Just wondering how you all have handled the fact that they get the Psi-sword at 1st level.

Would you treat it like the Cyber-Knight's (lesser) Psi-sword or go by the psionic rules and disregard Carella's writings and hold it to 3rd level like the psi-power says?

Its an exception to the rule...like the psi-slinger...and the Amaki dualist... :roll:
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Pox wrote:Just wondering how you all have handled the fact that they get the Psi-sword at 1st level.

There are so many races and OCC's that get psi-sword (full) at first level you can consider the blurb about it only being avaible at third level as effectively outdated. if not, then they get the full version at first level.

Honestly I don't mind, the fact that you have to wait a full melee round to make the psi-sword pretty much cripples it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The Galactus Kid

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

There are so many races and OCC's that get psi-sword (full) at first level you can consider the blurb about it only being avaible at third level as effectively outdated. if not, then they get the full version at first level.

Honestly I don't mind, the fact that you have to wait a full melee round to make the psi-sword pretty much cripples it.

If given time to prepare, someone with psisword, and Intuitive combat can be pretty deadly. If not given time to prepare, they are just 15 seconds away from getting shot to death.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

The Galactus Kid wrote:If given time to prepare, someone with psisword, and Intuitive combat can be pretty deadly. If not given time to prepare, they are just 15 seconds away from getting shot to death.

Unless I'm remembering the description wrong there's one problem with that, as per it's description you can't use any other psionic power while using intuitive combat. I guess you can say Psi-Sword wouldn't count if you summon the sword and then activate the power, but not sure how others would rule on that.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
The Galactus Kid

Daniel Stoker wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:If given time to prepare, someone with psisword, and Intuitive combat can be pretty deadly. If not given time to prepare, they are just 15 seconds away from getting shot to death.

Unless I'm remembering the description wrong there's one problem with that, as per it's description you can't use any other psionic power while using intuitive combat. I guess you can say Psi-Sword wouldn't count if you summon the sword and then activate the power, but not sure how others would rule on that.

Daniel Stoker

Actually, I think you're right.

runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Having a psi-sword early is no big deal since its low powered, very short duration and its melee weapon, plus your combat bonus are so low at that point. Carella's psychics are very cool and powerful, the only problem with them is the GM should have the player rely on their powers more and less on technology. In federation of Magic it says a mage is more likely to cast a spell to defend himself over using a gun, because he feels magic is better than technology. A psychic is going to have the same instincts to use his powers over technology since its like second nature to him. Psychic characters should wield some extra power, look what a mage can do with even a few T.W. items and how powerful a character is in a suit power armor or giant robot is compare to either. Mages gets tons of spells that increase with experience and lots of magic toys to play with. Psychic get such a limited selection of powers and theses power rarely increase with experience, the few range powers they have are so also limited to a few hundred feet or usually way less. What I really do find annoying is almost every psychic has sixth sense, I think it should cost two power selections to get it since its such a powerful ability that can really throw a wrench into the gm plans.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Runebo, here's a solution for sixth sense.

Be 95 feet away. Really. That's all you need to do. It has a range of 90 feet. Put a guy out there at 4000 feet with a JA-12, and unless the target is a juicer or crazy, chances are, he's getting hit. In order to dodge, you must be AWARE of the attack. Sixth Sense only works within 90 feet. It's a telepathic power.

If you want to be a supreme jerk, get a 12 shot man portable mini missile launcher and shoot them with that. Then it doesn't matter at all. Sure, he's got 6th sense, but he can't dodge it, and chances are, he won't survive it. :)
Wildfire
Adventurer

Unread post by Wildfire »

I have to agree that any power that has a duration can be turned on before Intuitive is used but can not be restarted once it is drained (body field) or expires.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

LOL! I'll remember that next time we play and bring it up. I mainly complaining because its so powerful, yet so many have it. Spider-man uses it a lot and that gets a little annoying, now imagine a team of 7 players and 4 of them have it, sure takes surprise out of some encounters. One other thing I was thinking was only S.D.C. creatures should be allowed to have it unless its in their description. An M.D.C. creature has the protection of a powerful body and S.D.C. creatures are squishy in such an environment and need to evolve this power to survive. This also why I don't mind the mutants in South America have extra power boost to their powers, that setting is ultra violent with such a mix of different nation who each specialty is either tech, magic or psionics warring against on another. I my self love psionic characters, but in Rifts I find that technology is where the power is!
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!

Return to “Rifts®”