Faster way to hunt CS Samas ? (Magically or Technologically)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Faster way to hunt CS Samas ? (Magically or Technologically)

Unread post by Lenwen »

Forrested area.
Mage activly hunting Samas, in known CS territory. Has his own vehicle full with fusion Blocks.
Mage casts Fly to see which way the samas is going above the tree line.
Mage hears Samas approaching - Casts Telekinesis.
Mage uses telekinesis to levitate 4- 16lbs blocks of fusion ( 4d6x10 - 10ft area )
Mage casts Carpet of adhesion on each block.
Mage casts Teleport:Lesser on each block directly on top of the Samas head.
Timer goes off.
Boom.

4d6x10= 40 low to 240 MD directly to the head of the Samas. Downed in 1 round before it even know the mage was there.

Total PPE spent, 48 PPE Total damage done 40 - 240md to a 10ft area.
Dead Samas.

Anyone have a Faster way to destroy a samas?
Lenwen

Re: Faster way to hunt CS Samas ? (Magically or Technologically)

Unread post by Lenwen »

Sunu wrote:
Lenwen wrote:Forrested area.
Mage activly hunting Samas, in known CS territory. Has his own vehicle full with fusion Blocks.
Mage uses telekinesis to levitate 4- 16lbs blocks of fusion ( 4d6x10 - 10ft area )
Timer goes off.
Boom.

4d6x10= 40 low to 240 MD directly to the head of the Samas. Downed in 1 round before it even know the mage was there.

Dead Samas.

Carpet of adhesion does not work that way it is applied over a 200ft square area not on seperate Fusion blocks. I think it would also require a roll to strike also, plue when the mage goes above the treeline he is risking detection.

Carpet of adhesion can be applied to a specific target. Not JUST to a 200sq ft area.
Rue : pg# 129.
Second paragraph under the heading : ''techno-Wizardry Construction Rules"
Carpet of Adhesion : to give you more traction then tires could possibly afford. ( show me 1 tire where its sq ft is 200.)

Teleport : 100% success if you can see your destination. A Man sized object could be seen easily several miles away. (doubly so when thier using a JET engine to fly around with) Yet still 100% within the Teleport : Lesser's range. No roll to strike nessassary.

It is well within reason to think if the Mage stuck his head up an used a tree for a type of shield he could fly up to its max hight and peek around it to see the samas. Where as the Samas will not be able to see him back.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Sunu wrote:But you are not creating a techno wizard device so those rules don't apply.

I would still require a strike roll do to the fact it is a fast moving target. Teleport is ment to be used from one set spot in space to another set spot in space.

So because its NOT a Techno-Wizard device the Carpet of Adhesion would not work ?

:lol: :lol:

Yet .. on a Teleport ( again not a Techno-Wizard device) you WOULD . Require a roll to strike ..

:lol: :lol:

You just broken two rules one if favor of Its not a techno-wizard device , and the other your "Forcing" those same techno-wizard device "rolls" on a regularly casted Teleport spell ...

You dont see anything wrong with taking the effect away from 1 thing and forcing it on the other ?
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Teleport: Lesser isn't 100% automatic, it's 80%+2% per level.

Other flaws I see is that you have to:

1. Touch each item to be teleported, this would require multiple castings.
2. Must be under 50lbs- so while each fusion block is under that, you can't put them all together as one block (only 3 at best)
3. Each casting of Teleport:Lesser requires the use of two attacks since it's a 6th level spell.

On the Fly spell, assuming you mean the 5th level spell - you have to cast that onto something and then fly on it. The mage doesn't empower himself to fly. Could be problematic in trying to navigate amongst tree's. The 2nd level Levitate spell might be a better choice.

And Telekinesis has a range of just 60 feet, and must be visible to manipulate. So that could be problematic in the tree's.

Carpet of Adhesion would work fine on the fusion blocks - the RUE description specifically mentions you can adjust the area affected by the spell.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Sunu wrote:You are useing a rule under creating a Techno wizard device, casting Carpet of Adhesion on fusion block is not creating a techno wizard device. It takes the proper ritual and tools and matterals to create a techno wizard device.

Why do you like creating impossible situation under your idea the Samass would not have a snow balls chance in hell.

I my games there is always an out, so you need to roll to strike.

There is a chance he can get out of it . Its the Teleport:Lesser roll 82% +2% per lvl.

Lvl 1 LLW only has to roll a 82% or under for it to work. Anything over 82% an its a miss.

Reading over the Spell - Carpet of Adhesion. The spell flat out states you can cast this spell on a person even. Means a square block of Fusion would not be an issue.

The spell would work on a block of fusion according to its own spell descroption.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dustin Fireblade wrote: Teleport: Lesser isn't 100% automatic, it's 80%+2% per level.

Dustin Fireblade wrote:1. Touch each item to be teleported, this would require multiple castings.

Multiple castings not an issue if your not in actual combat yet. Means you could take your sweet time.

Dustin Fireblade wrote:2. Must be under 50lbs- so while each fusion block is under that, you can't put them all together as one block (only 3 at best)

1- Heavy Fusion block = 16lbs, and does 4d6x10 MD.
1 fusion block with Carpet of adhesion on it teleported to the helmut of a samas would do the trick 50% of the time. And when it does not kill the Samas Pilot it will take him outta the sky easily. 10ft Blast radius means both wings are gone.

Dustin Fireblade wrote:3. Each casting of Teleport:Lesser requires the use of two attacks since it's a 6th level spell.

Again not an issue since this would be a surprise attack.

Dustin Fireblade wrote:On the Fly spell, assuming you mean the 5th level spell - you have to cast that onto something and then fly on it. The mage doesn't empower himself to fly. Could be problematic in trying to navigate amongst tree's. The 2nd level Levitate spell might be a better choice.

And that something could be litterally anything like a small branch or even a smaller twig.

Dustin Fireblade wrote: And Telekinesis has a range of just 60 feet, and must be visible to manipulate. So that could be problematic in the tree's.

Growing up in North Dakota the majority of my life as a child I know the tree's do not normally get 60ft tall. Thier at BEST 30-50ft .

Dustin Fireblade wrote:Carpet of Adhesion would work fine on the fusion blocks - the RUE description specifically mentions you can adjust the area affected by the spell.

100% agree.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

The way I view it is that the % to teleport is for the successful teleport and in order to attack the SAMAS with it, you would need to make an attack roll to strike. Since you are using telekinesis, there would be no bonus to strike and since you are aiming for the head it would be a called shot and since teleport lesser is a sixth level spell combining the two would require 4 attacks with a -5 to strike if the SAMAS is moving at least 200mph, -6 if taking evasive maneuvers. Not impossible, but very hard to do.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Anthar wrote:The way I view it is that the % to teleport is for the successful teleport and in order to attack the SAMAS with it, you would need to make an attack roll to strike. Since you are using telekinesis, there would be no bonus to strike and since you are aiming for the head it would be a called shot and since teleport lesser is a sixth level spell combining the two would require 4 attacks with a -5 to strike if the SAMAS is moving at least 200mph, -6 if taking evasive maneuvers. Not impossible, but very hard to do.

Teleport : Lesser
- 5 mile/lvl
- 50lbs
- Instantly : if its instant .. no need to roll for strike.
- Location - only needs to be known to him : See'ing the Samas puts this arguement to rest.

No roll to strike ( the success roll IS the roll to strike )

Telekinesis = The way to hold the 16lb fusion block in the air to cast the Carpet of adhesion on it. This does not mean to use telekinesis to throw the object at the samas. Teleport lesser is the mode of transportation in this case.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Sunu wrote:If the RUE says the Carpet of Adhesion can be adjusted that small then I will conceed that point. Now would the spell have to cast for each block or can it be done for all 4 at once?

The Book of Magic also stats this as well the size of the area effected can be anything from 1ftx1ft = 2ft area to a max of 10ft x 20ft = 200ft.

You would only need to cast the spell on one 16lb Heavy Fusion block ( heavy does 4d6x10 md GMG pg# 124)

If there were a squad of Samas you could rinse an repeat this stratagy so long as you have brought enough Fusion blocks and enough PPE to cast the spells needed.

Theoretically , One 1st lvl LLW could take out 10 Samas doing this exact strat to each member. Or until he had been spotted.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Sunu wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Sunu wrote:If the RUE says the Carpet of Adhesion can be adjusted that small then I will conceed that point. Now would the spell have to cast for each block or can it be done for all 4 at once?

The Book of Magic also stats this as well the size of the area effected can be anything from 1ftx1ft = 2ft area to a max of 10ft x 20ft = 200ft.

You would only need to cast the spell on one 16lb Heavy Fusion block ( heavy does 4d6x10 md GMG pg# 124)

If there were a squad of Samas you could rinse an repeat this stratagy so long as you have brought enough Fusion blocks and enough PPE to cast the spells needed.

Theoretically , One 1st lvl LLW could take out 10 Samas doing this exact strat to each member. Or until he had been spotted.

Now dont' you think that is way to powerful for one lvl 1 LLW to have a 80% chance to take out a whole squad for SAMAS, that is why I think there must be a roll to strike. I even if the spell is intant don't make the chance to hit 100%. You have to go through the whole human thought process, and during that time the target is moving at a high speed, thus the need for a strike roll in situations like this.

82% chance of success at lvl 1 for Teleport Lesser to work.

No I personally do not think its way to powerful for a lvl 1 LLW. I think the CS weapons an armors give them the edge in every battle or close to it.

So why should a lvl 1 LLW be punished ( by adding a roll to strike when there is already a roll to succeed in the teleport spell) ?
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Especially for showing good tactic's in a situation like that ?
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Well Lenwen I hope you don't need both hands free to cast that spell if you are holding onto a twig. :P It does say the ideal item is something you can sit on I believe.

Oh and those tree's in North Dakota - if you are at the top can you still see the ground clearly? It can be tough to do that here in Ohio. That was my main point on the Telekinesis - if you are up there can you still see your stuff on the ground? And if it's that open would this not increase the chance of detection?

Overall I don't see a major problem with this tactic - I would refine it a bit by using Levitation I think vs the Fly spell for example, but that's more a personal preference.

I would also cast some sort of "stealth" spell to help as much as it could - I've never known a player to not use his power armor optics extensively and I wouldn't award you any points just because you are hidden amongst some tree's.

I would also keep in mind that SAMAS are likely patrolling in pairs at the least.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Lenwen wrote:

Well I don't know about that...
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:Well Lenwen I hope you don't need both hands free to cast that spell if you are holding onto a twig. :P It does say the ideal item is something you can sit on I believe.

Oh and those tree's in North Dakota - if you are at the top can you still see the ground clearly? It can be tough to do that here in Ohio. That was my main point on the Telekinesis - if you are up there can you still see your stuff on the ground? And if it's that open would this not increase the chance of detection?

Overall I don't see a major problem with this tactic - I would refine it a bit by using Levitation I think vs the Fly spell for example, but that's more a personal preference.

I would also cast some sort of "stealth" spell to help as much as it could - I've never known a player to not use his power armor optics extensively and I wouldn't award you any points just because you are hidden amongst some tree's.

I would also keep in mind that SAMAS are likely patrolling in pairs at the least.

Ok fast refinement bro hehe.

LLW (lvl1) casts fly on a bedroll (flying carpet style) uses it to get to the top of the treeline carrying the 16lb fusion block along with him for now.
He then casts telekinesis on the fusion block, then casts carpet of adhesion on it. He then places 1 finger on the fusion block.
Looks around spots the samas then casts teleport lesser on the fusion block teleports the block directly on top of the engine of the Samas.
And watches in gleeful delight.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Lenwen wrote:

LLW (lvl1) casts fly on a bedroll (flying carpet style) uses it to get to the top of the treeline carrying the 16lb fusion block along with him for now.
He then casts telekinesis on the fusion block, then casts carpet of adhesion on it. He then places 1 finger on the fusion block.
Looks around spots the samas then casts teleport lesser on the fusion block teleports the block directly on top of the engine of the Samas.

Now that would work.

Unless the PA pilot is a Psi-Nullifier... :P
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Now that would work.

Unless the PA pilot is a Psi-Nullifier... :P

haha true, but then again The CS does not allow thier Psychic's to pilot Samas. Unless I missed it written some where.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I agree that a roll to strike is required. Just because you can teleport an object doesn't mean you can do it accurately, especially against a small target (which requires a call shot) flying a couple hundred miles per hour.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Lenwen wrote:
haha true, but then again The CS does not allow thier Psychic's to pilot Samas. Unless I missed it written some where.

Hmm, well I could be wrong - I thought that it applied only to the Psi-Stalker and/or Dog Boys. The Psi-Net agent for example in CWC pg 195 says they have occasional access to PA and Robot vehicle's.

The Psi-Nullifier don't have any restrictions on their pilot choice's from what I see either.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Mack wrote:I agree that a roll to strike is required. Just because you can teleport an object doesn't mean you can do it accurately, especially against a small target (which requires a call shot) flying a couple hundred miles per hour.

If a GM did allow this the Samas pilot still get to roll vs impact and may survive. Still a nice idea to keep them on their toes.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Hmm, well I could be wrong - I thought that it applied only to the Psi-Stalker and/or Dog Boys. The Psi-Net agent for example in CWC pg 195 says they have occasional access to PA and Robot vehicle's.

The Psi-Nullifier don't have any restrictions on their pilot choice's from what I see either.

Notice your talking about the skill selections of the R.C.C. not the general CS military doctrine of thier RPA's .

I would not understand if they were developing thier skill in thier psionic powers they inherited, how then did they learn how to use RPA at an "Elite" lvl ?

Perhaps there is the question ?
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

runebeo wrote:
Mack wrote:I agree that a roll to strike is required. Just because you can teleport an object doesn't mean you can do it accurately, especially against a small target (which requires a call shot) flying a couple hundred miles per hour.

If a GM did allow this the Samas pilot still get to roll vs impact and may survive. Still a nice idea to keep them on their toes.

How could they roll with impact, if the impact was right on thier engines and right in back of thier heads ?
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Lenwen wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Notice your talking about the skill selections of the R.C.C. not the general CS military doctrine of thier RPA's .

I would not understand if they were developing thier skill in thier psionic powers they inherited, how then did they learn how to use RPA at an "Elite" lvl ?

Perhaps there is the question ?

Well if the guys in Psi-Net, which deploys only in the cities, can get it PA suits, then I'm pretty sure that the special forces of Psi-Division can get hold of a PA suit.

As to developing the skill - the CS starts training their psychics at a early age and I would submit that they have plenty of time then to develop both psi and skills.

Also I'd note that the Psi-Nullifier as described in Psyscape is what the CS uses. There's no "basic training skill package" that would apply. In fact CS trained Nullifier's get a +10% bonus to any Military skill they select.

And lastly I'd note that Psi-Division is also made up of CS Special Forces and other other OCC's that have psychic abilities as well - so I think it would be safe to say that issuing SAMAS to a psychic is a distinct possibility.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Lenwen wrote:
Sunu wrote:
Lenwen wrote:Forrested area.
Timer goes off.
Boom.

Dead Samas.

Carpet of adhesion does not work that way it is applied over a 200ft square area not on seperate Fusion blocks. I think it would also require a roll to strike also, plue when the mage goes above the treeline he is risking detection.

Carpet of adhesion can be applied to a specific target. Not JUST to a 200sq ft area.
Rue : pg# 129.
Second paragraph under the heading : ''techno-Wizardry Construction Rules"
Carpet of Adhesion : to give you more traction then tires could possibly afford. ( show me 1 tire where its sq ft is 200.)

Teleport : 100% success if you can see your destination. A Man sized object could be seen easily several miles away. (doubly so when thier using a JET engine to fly around with) Yet still 100% within the Teleport : Lesser's range. No roll to strike nessassary.

It is well within reason to think if the Mage stuck his head up an used a tree for a type of shield he could fly up to its max hight and peek around it to see the samas. Where as the Samas will not be able to see him back.

If you can get close enough put COA on the Samas instead.The Fusion blocks will still stick,and if he crashes and survives, he's still stuck.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Sunu wrote:Why do you like creating impossible situation under your idea the Samass would not have a snow balls chance in hell.

Because this is how munchkins play rifts.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
wildhood
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Pickup my 1st Palladium RPG Book back in 1990.

Unread post by wildhood »

Use a Flying Power Armor from Atlantis or Naruni Enterprises. Shot it with a WI-40M Fire & Forget Super-Heavy Missile Launcher. Use a Phase Sword kill the pilot not the PA & make some extra cash too. The one I like best is demo pilots barracks when they are asleep. (Gundam Wing) I can think up more but others need to post there ideas too.
Last edited by wildhood on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don t beleive I m using my XBOX One to post on here.
Undisiplined Veritech Pilots don t pilot Veritechs they pilot Verideck.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

100% True. Hence the teleport successful % roll.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

jedi078 wrote:
Sunu wrote:Why do you like creating impossible situation under your idea the Samass would not have a snow balls chance in hell.

Because this is how munchkins play rifts.

If by muchkins you mean showing real tactical abilities as they would play out in a real fight, ok then sure.

If by munchkins you mean hand wavium'ed script immunities, perhaps you pointing the stick at the wrong person ?
:lol:

I personally find it extreamly halarious when people say it wouldent work like this or like that when the spells are clearly cut and no spell that I used has any kind of a "roll to strike" scenario on it but yet, because of how easy it is to pull off with superior range and firepower, alotta people want to penalize the Mage with a "roll to strike" because its against the CS.

This is what it amounts to. From everything that I am reading on this thread.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Ajax wrote:Question, did anyone check out the teleport:lesser spell and notice the fact that under duration it states that it takes 30seconds and is not instanteous? Meaning it either takes 30seconds to cast or it takes 30seconds for the materials to move from point A to point B depending on GM inturreptation?

I'm pretty sure that it takes 30 seconds to cast (or for the spell to actually go off once it IS cast).
Also, notice that the range is "touch," meaning that you'd have to touch the fusion blocks.
(This shouldn't interfere with the teleportation, though.)

Also, as has been pointed out, this would take quite a few actions to get off, not to mention quite a bit of preparation.
Start with setting up the ambush in the first place. First, you have to find out where the samas patrol routes are. This could well be tricky, as they may stagger their routines precisely to avoid ambushes and such, or take other precautions.
Second, you have to avoid detection because you don't want to get shot before you get to start your ambush. Since they have the full range of optics, including telescoptic, as well as radars and such, this could be tricky. They only bit of luck there is that they don't have the Detect Ambush or Detect Concealment skills, so if you pick a good spot on the ground or in a tree, and can conceal yourself decently, you might not get spotted. Just make sure that you're at least 2000' away from where the SAMAS will be flying (unless things go wrong), so that you can't be picked up on thermal or infrared.
But say you spend a week and find the patrol paths, figuring out when they'll be where, set up your stake out, wait a while, and see a couple of Sams approach.
Standard cruising speed is 150 mph, probably about 250' up.
The GM would need to do some math here, to figure out when exactly you spot them (how far away they are), and how long your window of opportunity would be, because at 150 mph they're moving at something like a half-mile a melee round (somebody check the math).

Step 1: Mage casts Fly to see which way the samas is going above the tree line.
Here's where the radar may well nail you, and where you might get spotted with optics. If you're doing this during the day, all they'll need is to look the right way with their telescopic vision and roll a decent Perception check, unless you've got other tricks up your sleeve.
If you're trying to cast Fly in advance, then you're going to have to recast it a few times if you misjudge things (6 minutes per level, so it would depend on your level).
If you're casting Fly once you spot the SAMAS, then there goes your first action.
Flying into position is your second action.

Step 2: Mage hears Samas approaching - Casts Telekinesis.
That's your third action. How many does your mage have?
If he's low level, probably 4, meaning that the first melee round is almost up.

Step 3: Mage uses telekinesis to levitate 4- 16lbs blocks of fusion ( 4d6x10 - 10ft area )

4 16lb objects would be 64 lbs, which is over the weight limit for the spell.
Also, the spell description isn't clear how many objects you can pick up in one action.
The easiest way would be to do one block at a time.
So okay, that's your fourth action, which means that the SAM is probably a half-mile ahead of where you spotted him.

Step 4: Mage Sets the Timer on the Fusion Block.
He'll likely need the Demolitions skill for this, or at least an ally with the Demolitions skill who set things up where all the mage needs to do is to press a button.
But assuming that he did set things up in advance, that's still another action down for each block you use.

Step 5: Mage casts Carpet of adhesion on each block.
Again, this will need to be one at a time. We'll just repeat steps 3-7 for each block.
Another action down.
There's no minimum listed for the size of the carpet, so this should work pretty well.

Step 6: Mage casts Teleport:Lesser on each block directly on top of the Samas head.
For me, this is where the big problem comes in.
In order for the spell to work, the location has to be known to him. I think you'd need a REAL good look at that SAMAS' head in order for it to count. Vaguely making out the shape of a head from a distance isn't going to work, you'd have to see it in clear enough detail to know the exact spot that you wanted the block to appear on.
If you have telescopic vision of some sort, that will make it easier, but it would still be pretty tricky.
Also, what exactly a "location" IS as far as this spell goes is up for grabs. "On the Samas' head" might not qualify, in which case you'd have to time the SAM's flight speed and path, and teleport the block into the air in front of him where he'll smack into it and it'll stick, which would be incredibly difficult.
In any case, this takes 2 melee rounds, so the SAM will be about 1.75 miles ahead of where he started by the time you finish casting this spell once.
By the time you cast the spell a second time, he'll be about 3.25 miles ahead.
By the time you cast the spell a third time, he'll be about 4.75 miles ahead.
But the time you cast the spell a fourth time, he'll be about 6.25 miles ahead.
Depending on the duration of your window of opportunity, and what happens after that first block is sent, you might not have time to get all of those blocks sent before he's out of range.

Step 6: Timer goes off.
The minimum time is 30 seconds. The time it takes to use the Teleport Lesser spell is 30 seconds.
If you don't give them a bit more time than that, they'll go off immediately as you teleport them.
(this is a good reason to hope you don't get interrupted- if that spell doesn't go off, the bomb still does)

Step 7: Boom.
Yup.
When the first bomb goes off, one of a number of things might happen.
-The SAMAS pilot might lose control and crash.
-The Pilot might keep control, but maintain roughly the same pace.
-The pilot might keep control, and slow in order to look for the person who attacked him
-The pilot might speed up to escape the ambush.

I think the last is most likely in most cases, and that's the most important because it's likely to get him out of your spell range before you get all four blocks sent at him.

Not a bad plan, all in all.
It could work, if the GM makes a number of rules calls in your favor, and luck is on your side.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Not a bad plan, all in all.
It could work, if the GM makes a number of rules calls in your favor, and luck is on your side.

1) - the actions aspect matters not since this is a "Surprise" attack by the mage. All attacks really does not matter.

2) - It does not matter how many actions/attacks the Mage has. The Samas has no idea he is there and is therefor not in battle meaning he is not pressed for actions per melee .This is after all a "Surprise" attack.

3) - It is a SINGLE Fusion block ( not 4 like everyone seems to want it to be it is in fact 1 Fusion block as per the writeup in GMG pg# 124 , One 16lb fusion block does 4d6x10 md to a 10ft area ) You knew the timer default limit on the block yet diden't know it was a single block ?

5) - The Location is on top of the CS Samas head. Not In the flight path of the Samas. Two totally different "Locations". Something everyone that does not want the samas to get injured is totally ingoring. If the mage wanted to teleport it in front of the CS Samas, then I for one would think it would need a Roll to strike. However, the teleport is directly on top of the head of the Samas, Its moving yes but the fact of the matter is the location IS the top of the helmut.

6) - Each fusion block has a built in timer of 30 seconds as its default timer . And could be programmed to an even later timer then that. Either way the Timer will have been set prior to engaugment.

7) - Or Boom the Samas is downed no matter what. Shoulder wings have no more then 95MDC , 4d6x10 = on "average" is 120 mega damage to a 10ft area both wings would have been destroyed. Downing the Samas . And that is besides the fact that the Helmut has less then that as well meaning if the wings get blown off chances are the helmuts been blown off too killing the Pilot.

Lastly, What "rule calls" would a mage need from a GM to perform this incredibly simple set of "Castings" ?

The hardest part of this scenario is attaining the Fusion block .
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Lenwen wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Not a bad plan, all in all.

1) - the actions aspect matters not since this is a "Surprise" attack by the mage. All attacks really does not matter.

Of course it matters, for the reasons I point out.
If the Sam is out of range before your attack is finished, that matters quite a bit.

2) - It does not matter how many actions/attacks the Mage has.

Sure it does.
Because the number of attacks per melee affect how much he can accomplish before the SAMAS gets out of range.

3) - It is a SINGLE Fusion block ( not 4 like everyone seems to want it to be it is in fact 1 Fusion block as per the writeup in GMG pg# 124 , One 16lb fusion block does 4d6x10 md to a 10ft area ) You knew the timer default limit on the block yet diden't know it was a single block ?

No, because I was going off of what YOU said:
"levitate 4- 16lbs blocks of fusion."
If you didn't mean that, you shouldn't have said it, and you might want to edit it down.
I can look in the books to see that 1 type three fusion block weighs 16 lbs, but I can't look in the books to see that you mean "only one block" when you write "4- 16lbs blocks."

5) - The Location is on top of the CS Samas head. Not In the flight path of the Samas.

That "location" simply won't be acceptable to some GM's, and possibly not to the game creators (you'd have to ask them to know).
If that situation arises, and you won't accept the proposed back-up plan of trying to put it in their path, that's up to you.

Two totally different "Locations".

Which is why they were addressed separately.

6) - Each fusion block has a built in timer of 30 seconds as its default timer . And could be programmed to an even later timer then that. Either way the Timer will have been set prior to engaugment.

Which is what I said.

7) - Or Boom the Samas is downed no matter what. Shoulder wings have no more then 95MDC , 4d6x10 = on "average" is 120 mega damage to a 10ft area both wings would have been destroyed. Downing the Samas . And that is besides the fact that the Helmut has less then that as well meaning if the wings get blown off chances are the helmuts been blown off too killing the Pilot.

Unless you house-rule things, the damage would only be done to one section. Area affects hit each target in the area, but not each location on each target in the area.

Lastly, What "rule calls" would a mage need from a GM to perform this incredibly simple set of "Castings" ?

If you read my post, and take time to understand it, then you should find that I already described them in detail.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

KC,

1) - Actions matter not if the plan was a surprise attack . You will hear that Rocket Engine LONG .. before you see the Samas. Giving the mage more then enough time before the samas would come into view.

2) - The teleport spell dictates 5 miles per lvl, the location is known "the helmut" of the samas. Range is not an issue.

3) - Understood, that was my bad bro. The fact of the matter is I think the scenario was 1 caster and 1 samas. And even just a single type 3 Fusion block would blast (10ft area) be more then enough to blast both wings off. As well as the helmut.

4) - Two things here

A - The only house rules which I see are the ones everyone seems to be doing "against" the mage. Teleport does not dictate it needs a "roll to hit" yet everyone is house rulling in this situation that it does.

B - Samas = 5ft wide with wings down. Blast radius is 10 ft . Means the wings will be exposed by 2.5 feet on each side of the samas. Which in turn means they take just as much damage as everything else in the Blast radius. ( in this instance we will take the heaviest armored Samas the super samas.) The wings = 95 mdc each, the helmut =90 mdc. One single type 3 Fusion block = 4d6x10 mega damage. Average hit = 120 MD. Means both the helmut (and head of the pilot) as well as the wings of the Samas (Exposed on both sides by 2ft 6 inches to the 10ft Blast radius) are now gone.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Lenwen wrote:KC,

1) - Actions matter not if the plan was a surprise attack.

Addressed.

You will hear that Rocket Engine LONG .. before you see the Samas.

That depends on how loud the engine is, and how good your vision is, and what the angle you're trying to look at is.
And you need to SEE the SAMAS before you can try to teleport anything onto it.

Either way, it doesn't really affect what I said.

2) - The teleport spell dictates 5 miles per lvl, the location is known "the helmut" of the samas. Range is not an issue.

-The level of the caster is important, then.
-Already addressed that that "location" wouldn't be acceptable to many GMs, and that you'd still have to get a very good look at it in any case.
I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by repeating yourself here, other than getting me to repeat myself as well.
-Range may or may not be an issue, for the reasons I've already outlined.

3) - Understood, that was my bad bro. The fact of the matter is I think the scenario was 1 caster and 1 samas. And even just a single type 3 Fusion block would blast (10ft area) be more then enough to blast both wings off. As well as the helmut.

Already addressed; you've have to house-rule for the blast to hit more than one area.
But you could teleport it onto a wing as easily as the head.

4) - Two things here
A - The only house rules which I see are the ones everyone seems to be doing "against" the mage. Teleport does not dictate it needs a "roll to hit" yet everyone is house rulling in this situation that it does.

I haven't mentioned any such thing.

B - Samas = 5ft wide with wings down. Blast radius is 10 ft.

Already addressed.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Addressed.

That depends on how loud the engine is, and how good your vision is, and what the angle you're trying to look at is.

-Already addressed that that "location" wouldn't be acceptable to many GMs, and that you'd still have to get a very good look at it in any case.
I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by repeating yourself here, other than getting me to repeat myself as well.

Already addressed; you've have to house-rule for the blast to hit more than one area.

Already addressed.

1) - finally yes.

2) - its a JET engine, with zero sound suppression, means you WILL hear it before you see it . Regaurdless of what anyone thinks this is a fact.

The Teleport Lesser spell is not a "sight" based teleport spell. You only need to know the location, In this instance the location is the top of the Samas helmut. This is as clear and cut as it gets.

3) -The Samas is 5ft wide. The Blast area of the Fusion block is 10ft. This is not a "house rule" As seen by these taken from the books quotes ...

A- GMG pg 124 " Fusion Blocks :Heavy: 4d6x10 to a 10ft blast radius."
How is applying the "Blast Radius" to the "Blast Radius" a house rule in the least?
Means everything takes the rolled damage. This is not a house rule. It is infact a rule. And perhaps one that people do not use often it would appear.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Lenwen wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Addressed.

Already addressed.

1) - finally yes.

Addressed in my first post.

2) - its a JET engine, with zero sound suppression, means you WILL hear it before you see it . Regaurdless of what anyone thinks this is a fact.

Book, page, and passage that says there is zero sound suppression?
Also, your source on the loudness for a nuclear-powered jet engine that has no other fuel?
Also, since there are plenty of times where I can see a modern jet airplane before I hear it (in fact, this is the norm), I tend to dispute the "fact" you present here.

The Teleport Lesser spell is not a "sight" based teleport spell. You only need to know the location, In this instance the location is the top of the Samas helmut. This is as clear and cut as it gets.

And you need to be able to SEE the location in order to "know" it.
To see it clearly, in fact.
I address this also in my first post.

3) -The Samas is 5ft wide. The Blast area of the Fusion block is 10ft. This is not a "house rule" As seen by these taken from the books quotes ...

How is applying the "Blast Radius" to the "Blast Radius" a house rule in the least?
Means everything takes the rolled damage. This is not a house rule. It is infact a rule. And perhaps one that people do not use often it would appear.

The house rule is that it would affect everything within the blast area.
Officially, it only affects each target in the blast area, not every part of every target in the blast area.
There have been entire threads on this subject, and you might want to look one or more of them up.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Lenwen wrote:2) - its a JET engine, with zero sound suppression, means you WILL hear it before you see it . Regaurdless of what anyone thinks this is a fact.

Killer Cyborg wrote: Book, page, and passage that says there is zero sound suppression?

I am saying there is NO sound suppression. Are you say there is?
CWC pg# 118 , Flying : The ROCKET propelsion system .
Rue pg#50 Bionic's : Amped hearing. 100 decibels - Jet Engines .

Lenwen wrote:The Teleport Lesser spell is not a "sight" based teleport spell. You only need to know the location, In this instance the location is the top of the Samas helmut. This is as clear and cut as it gets.

Killer Cyborg wrote:And you need to be able to SEE the location in order to "know" it.

Show me a book and pg# of Teleport Lesser, that says Target must be "Visible" to the Teleporter.

Lenwen wrote:3) -The Samas is 5ft wide. The Blast area of the Fusion block is 10ft. This is not a "house rule" As seen by these taken from the books quotes ...

Killer Cyborg wrote: The house rule is that it would affect everything within the blast area.
Officially, it only affects each target in the blast area, not every part of every target in the blast area.
There have been entire threads on this subject, and you might want to look one or more of them up.

According to Rue, the Blast radius is 10ft.. Not 1 object in 10ft, Everything in 10ft . Show me 1 single rule in any book that contradicts this Blast Radius ?

What would the point be of having a "Blast Radius" when the explosive CLEARLY states it has a Blast radius.

Thats like saying you have 2 people in a ten foot area, The fusion Block goes off in its regular ten ft blast area , and only 1 person is effected at all by the fusion block's explosion.

Sorry my friend, I'm not buying that.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

The house rule is that it would affect everything within the blast area.

Blast area = Everything takes that amount of Damage. Hence the "Blast Area". Anything other then this, is in fact a "House" rule.

In certain instances explosives have a listed blast area damage in which it does (X) amount of damage and outside of another amount of ft, it does (Y) damage. Till it reaches the point of zero damage.

Using ANYTHING, other then listed Damage for listed Blast area .. is in fact a house rule.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Lobo wrote:
Lenwen wrote:According to Rue, the Blast radius is 10ft.. Not 1 object in 10ft, Everything in 10ft . Show me 1 single rule in any book that contradicts this Blast Radius ?

What would the point be of having a "Blast Radius" when the explosive CLEARLY states it has a Blast radius.

Thats like saying you have 2 people in a ten foot area, The fusion Block goes off in its regular ten ft blast area , and only 1 person is effected at all by the fusion block's explosion.

Most GM's play it this way. The blast radius effects the main body of the target only, doesn't do damage to each area and every little thing on him. I know that's not realistic, but it's basically meant to speed up combat by not sitting there figuring out every little thing that was damaged or destroyed. Pretty sure I saw a KS answer to this somewhere too, I'll try and find it.

Thats kewl bro if Most GM's play that way. That is exactly what a House rule is. Going by set game mechanical rules however, thats never been the presented case.

According to the game rules, blast area's effect the total area of the blast. Not just this or that the entire blast area. And until its changed to play any other way is in fact a house rule.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

I see what your saying but the fact of the matter is that everything in the blast radius does take damage. Anything and I mean anything other then this is a "House" rule of one kind or another.

KC was trying to say that everything in the blast radius takes damage is the house rule. When in fact is is 100% completly opposite.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Lobo wrote:
Lenwen wrote:I see what your saying but the fact of the matter is that everything in the blast radius does take damage. Anything and I mean anything other then this is a "House" rule of one kind or another.

KC was trying to say that everything in the blast radius takes damage is the house rule. When in fact is is 100% completly opposite.

I found it. From the old question and answer section on the PB main board. Sorry it is a house rule to apply damage to each part and piece of equipment as it explicitly states you can modify the rules to do so. I do wish they would put these answers in future books but the writers are notorously lazy about copy and paste and letting the same questions get asked over and over for 20 years lol.

28. Missiles and mini-missiles all have a blast radius, and they all hit the main body. If the main body takes a sixty point hit do the other locations (like the head) take the thirty points from the blast area? And what about blow through? A 'boom gun' does 3D6x10 damage, to a suit of dead-boy armour this gives 10 to 130 points of wasted damage.
Answer: For missile combat, we have deliberately kept it simple so the answer is no only the main body takes damage. There is likewise no rules for blow through. If the GM wants to make it more realistic (and more complicated) for his individual campaign, he is free to modify the rules.

Then they just printed Coalition Navy sourcebook for nuthing ? How bout getting a link of the convo ?
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Considering the Fusion block was magically teleported onto the helmut of the Samas, then it and it alone is the single armor peice that takes damage ?

Is thats what that snippet is claiming ?
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Lobo wrote:
Lenwen wrote:Considering the Fusion block was magically teleported onto the helmut of the Samas, then it and it alone is the single armor peice that takes damage ?

No like I said it takes full damage while the main body of the samas takes half damage.

Then how does the wings not get damaged if thier within the Blast radius ?

This 100% completly defies the law's of physic's.

This seems like another handwaviumed answer to gaurd the script immune CS .. if ya ask me.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Lobo wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Lobo wrote:
Lenwen wrote:Considering the Fusion block was magically teleported onto the helmut of the Samas, then it and it alone is the single armor peice that takes damage ?

No like I said it takes full damage while the main body of the samas takes half damage.

This seems like another handwaviumed answer to gaurd the script immune CS .. if ya ask me.

Like I said before this rule completely goes against realism. It's one of those rules that sacrifices realism for ease of play. They do say you can house rule it to make your games "more realistic (and more complicated)."

Since the the CS is more likely to use missiles and grenades on everyone else this rule actually hurts them more than it protects them.

Then by these rules .. the Gargoyals would win in a flat out fight. As per the rules when a nuke is dropped in thier mist, it would effect only 1 single Gargoyal and even then just his main body. Everything else would have been wasted damage.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Lobo wrote: You get the gist? No damage was done to anyone's weapons, or their gear,or the Sama's wings, or the dog-boy's un-protected body parts. Realistic? No. Makes combat easier and faster to run? Yes.

I got the idea bout 7 posts ago. But since it has neither been stated in the books it is still therefor a "House" rule to rule it any other way then what is presented in the books.

How would you handle these scenarios ..

A- BWW's are blasted with an area effect missle of 30ft, by the PC's the slaver is hit and dies but the BWW's were in the barge in thier "Spots" on the barge. damage rolled is 200+ mega damage.

B- PC's are hit exactly the same none are in Full EBA armor and in fact some have exposed appendeges as well as heads .
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Lobo wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Lobo wrote: You get the gist? No damage was done to anyone's weapons, or their gear,or the Sama's wings, or the dog-boy's un-protected body parts. Realistic? No. Makes combat easier and faster to run? Yes.

I got the idea bout 7 posts ago. But since it has neither been stated in the books it is still therefor a "House" rule to rule it any other way then what is presented in the books.

How would you handle these scenarios ..

A- BWW's are blasted with an area effect missle of 30ft, by the PC's the slaver is hit and dies but the BWW's were in the barge in thier "Spots" on the barge. damage rolled is 200+ mega damage.

B- PC's are hit exactly the same none are in Full EBA armor and in fact some have exposed appendeges as well as heads .

A- if the slaver was the target of the missile strike then the BWW take half damage from the blast radius.

B- same as I described with the dog-boys. The main body is damaged only. head and appendages are not hit by the blast radius per the standard rules. You can always make a more realistic house rule if you want to hit these things. But by the standard rule they miraculously survive heh.

You can keep calling it a house rule if you want because it's not in an actual book however when PB puts errata on their official site I take those as changes or clarifications of book rules.

28. Missiles and mini-missiles all have a blast radius, and they all hit the main body. If the main body takes a sixty point hit do the other locations (like the head) take the thirty points from the blast area? And what about blow through? A 'boom gun' does 3D6x10 damage, to a suit of dead-boy armour this gives 10 to 130 points of wasted damage.
Answer: For missile combat, we have deliberately kept it simple so the answer is no only the main body takes damage. There is likewise no rules for blow through. If the GM wants to make it more realistic (and more complicated) for his individual campaign, he is free to modify the rules.

Fusion blocks are not missles .. are they then exempt ? Thier neither missles nor are they aerodynamic as per thier description. Or does this rule errata mean all explosives?

And does the New Rue books have this in them ?
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

Lenwan, I want to applaud you on your clever use of strategy. This kind of "outside the box" thinking is exactly what Ley Line Walkers should be doing, and it goes a long way to explain how dangerous they are.

That being said, as a GM, there are a couple of hiccups with your plan, the first being that a SAMAS helmet is an object, not a location. A location has a fixed XYZ coordinate in space, and does not move. The SAMAS is a fast moving object that will only be in one location for a split second. That means while you are almost 100% guaranteed to actually teleport the Fusion Block, you are not necessarily going to teleport it to the location you need it to be to hit the SAMAS' head. Luckily, the SAMAS isn't going to be expecting such an attack, and it can't see it coming, so it can't dodge or try to avoid it, but I'd still require you to make a roll to strike to pick the proper location.

The second problem is the 30 seconds between when you start casting the spell and when it takes effect. In my understanding, when you cast a spell, you have to select a target for the spell when you begin casting it and you cannot change it midway through. As a result, I don't know that there is any way you could accurately find the location the SAMAS' head was going to be at without precognition. I'm afraid that were I your GM, I wouldn't allow your strategy to work as you have planned it.

My suggestion would be to use more fusion blocks and cast invisibility on them, then use telekinesis to move them into the SAMAS' flight path. The SAMAS will not be able to detect them until they are already stuck to their armor with Carpet of Adhesion, and once they are there it's all over for the SAMAS when the timers go off.
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

I don't see anything wrong with Lenwan's proposal, other than the fact that he is bending the rules to make it effectively infallible, which shouldn't be the case. There is nothing really different about what Lenwan is proposing and a hidden 'borg making a called shot on the head with multiple mini-missiles, other than the fact that Lenwan seems to think it should automatically work every time. If Lenwan's character had some sort of precognition and could foresee where the SAMAS' head was going to be 30 seconds in the future, that would be one thing, but considering it is not an instantaneous transfer, and that he has no idea what point in space the head will be at in 30 seconds, then I'd have to say he'd need to make a "wild" roll to strike, at the very least, and I'd only allow that because the SAMAS pilot has no idea it's coming.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Lobo wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Step 4: Mage Sets the Timer on the Fusion Block.
He'll likely need the Demolitions skill for this, or at least an ally with the Demolitions skill who set things up where all the mage needs to do is to press a button.
But assuming that he did set things up in advance, that's still another action down for each block you use.

He wouldn't need demolitions skill to set the timer. It's pretty clear in the description of the fusion block how simple a device to arm it is. Anyone who's capable of setting the timer on a microwave can push the buttons to program say 35-40 seconds into the keypad on the block.

The blocks don't say anything about what it takes to arm them.
It's the GM's call, and I've seen them call both ways.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Lenwen wrote:
Lenwen wrote:2) - its a JET engine, with zero sound suppression, means you WILL hear it before you see it . Regaurdless of what anyone thinks this is a fact.

Killer Cyborg wrote: Book, page, and passage that says there is zero sound suppression?

I am saying there is NO sound suppression. Are you say there is?

I'm saying that the book never mention the sound or volume of the SAMAS's jets, so there's no way of knowing how away you could hear them.
Simple fact.

CWC pg# 118 , Flying : The ROCKET propelsion system

What about it?

Rue pg#50 Bionic's : Amped hearing. 100 decibels - Jet Engines .

That's for passenger jets, where one engine is a big as a SAMAS.
It's the same table they use in HU and other SDC settings where they weren't describing SAMAS.

Lenwen wrote:The Teleport Lesser spell is not a "sight" based teleport spell. You only need to know the location, In this instance the location is the top of the Samas helmut. This is as clear and cut as it gets.

Killer Cyborg wrote:And you need to be able to SEE the location in order to "know" it.

Show me a book and pg# of Teleport Lesser, that says Target must be "Visible" to the Teleporter.

There is none.
Now show me the book and page# that says you can "know" a location by hearing a jet.
Or by vaguely seeing an outline.
There is none.
Which is why you have to see the location- in order to know it.
As I have said repeatedly since my first post.

Killer Cyborg wrote: The house rule is that it would affect everything within the blast area.

According to Rue, the Blast radius is 10ft.. Not 1 object in 10ft, Everything in 10ft . Show me 1 single rule in any book that contradicts this Blast Radius ? [/quote]

In addition to what Lobo has already posted:

RGMG, p. 40
To strike something other than the main body, the attacker must make an aimed, "Called Shot," or roll a natural 20.
It is as streamlined and simple as that.

viewtopic.php?p=861910#p861910
Grenades
I asked if the blast radius of grenades meant that limbs and weapons should take half blast damage.
He said that this depended on how deadly the GM wanted to make their games.

I specifically asked Kevin because of threads like this one:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37009

I think the answer is in the question.

You don't have to buy it, but it's still true.
The rules are set up where each person in the blast area takes damage, but only to their main body.
Why?
Probably because even though this doesn't make sense, the alternative doesn't make any sense either.

Say you have a CS Grunt, a SAMAS, and a hatchling Dragon standing 10' apart.
A grenade goes off halfway between them.
Realistically, the dragon should take more damage, because more of his surface area is exposed to the blast. The SAMAS should take the next most damage, because he has the next greatest amount of surface area. The Grunt should take the least.
In practice, going by the actual game rules, they both take the same amount of damage- half that of the actual explosion, since they're both in the radius, but neither is the actual target of the attack.

Under your rule, where damage is dealt to every listed location, then here's what happens:
Back before CWC, where they statted out deadboy armor by location:
-The grunt and the dragon would each take 1/2 the grenade damage.
-The SAMAS would take 1/2 of the grenade damage to each location.
So if the blast damage was 10 MD, then the Grunt would take 5 MD, and the dragon would take 5 MD, and the SAMAS would take 5 MD to his main body, his head, his forearm mini-missile launcher, his rail gun, his ammo drum, his lower maneuvering jets (2), his main rear jets (2), and his shoulder wings (2), for a total of 55 MD.
That's 11x the damage that the grunt or dragon took.

After CWC, the dragon would still take 5 MD.
The SAMAS would still take 55 MD.
The Grunt would take 30 MD.

Does that level of difference in damage make any sense to you?
It doesn't make sense to me, because one of the reasons why robots, armor, and other things have different areas statted out in the first place is to make them able to take MORE damage, not less.
But if you apply the blast damage to every body segment of every target in the blast area, then it has the opposite effect. Suddenly robots, power armor, and vehicles are pretty easy fodder for anybody with a missile launcher or grenade, but infantry are just as resistant against them as ever.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Lobo wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Lobo wrote:

Like I said before this rule completely goes against realism. It's one of those rules that sacrifices realism for ease of play. They do say you can house rule it to make your games "more realistic (and more complicated)."

Not just for ease of play, but for survivability.
Going with the house-rule where explosions hit every listed thing in the area, the game becomes a lot more deadly:
-Anybody (SDC) without EBA is subject to instant destruction, as part of their body will be exposed to the blast.
-Weapons and equipment will be destroyed regularly, as it's all in the blast area. That rifle you're holding has 30 or more MDC, and it's going to get whittled down by explosions. That pistol on your hip has about 12 MDC; it might get destroyed in a single blast. That vibro-knife on your leg has 12 MDC too, so it's also going to get damaged in any blast.
That battle harness holding your ammo and grenades? Gone, along with the ammo and grenades it was holding.
That backpack full of rations and gear? Gone.

Granted, that's a more realistic way to play things, but it's not how the rules work.
And while I have considered playing that way, for the reason you list below, it would make every battle not only more crunchy to play out, but also a lot more deadly.

Since the the CS is more likely to use missiles and grenades on everyone else this rule actually hurts them more than it protects them.

Unless they're going up against unarmed and unarmored supernatural creatures that only have MDC listed for their main body, because those guys are only going to take the blast radius damage once instead of 6+ times, and they don't have weapons to get destroyed.
But it would make fighting Xiticix and mages a LOT easier.
Mages too, since they don't have environmental armor, and because they often rely on gear.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Proseksword wrote:Lenwan, I want to applaud you on your clever use of strategy. This kind of "outside the box" thinking is exactly what Ley Line Walkers should be doing, and it goes a long way to explain how dangerous they are.

That being said, as a GM, there are a couple of hiccups with your plan, the first being that a SAMAS helmet is an object, not a location. A location has a fixed XYZ coordinate in space, and does not move. The SAMAS is a fast moving object that will only be in one location for a split second. That means while you are almost 100% guaranteed to actually teleport the Fusion Block, you are not necessarily going to teleport it to the location you need it to be to hit the SAMAS' head. Luckily, the SAMAS isn't going to be expecting such an attack, and it can't see it coming, so it can't dodge or try to avoid it, but I'd still require you to make a roll to strike to pick the proper location.

Then please explain the "hit location" tables for each and every single P.A. please. There is a "hit location" for every single Power Armor, robot, and vehicle in the game.

I still believe if its not in the book, its a house rule. Blast radius makes things deadlier yes. But that coin is flipped two ways. Its deadlier for everybody.

And since no one can find me a quote from a book to contradict me that its NOT a house rule, it is therefore the default rule, And anyone who plays the blast area differently then its presented in the books makes thier own "House" rules to superceed that of the books.

Aka, they make thier own house rules.

The Helmut is a Fixed position. The entire unit does move yes. The helmut is the known location for Teleport lesser.

(No KC go read the spell Teleport Lesser you do not need to "See" where you want to teleport an object if you believe this then find me 1 passage in the Teleport Lesser spell that backs you up on this.)

Return to “Rifts®”