Danzi Armor from Eastern Territories

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

Danzi Armor from Eastern Territories

Unread post by RockJock »

Ok, in Eastern Territories the Danzi have a special cloth with decent SDC, and an AR. The books gives an example of what I am assuming is straight cloth armor. I'm not going to list the stats of the cloth listed in the book, but here is what I am thinking for as the Padded/quilted version of a suit of armor: AR 12 SDC 35 with the ability to add another 20 SDC for the superior armor rules for light armor.

I see the Danzi using no metal, or magical armor such as Leather of Iron, and I see this cloth being the heaviest they would normally have access to. I see it being "standard" for the Danzi, but pretty much unknown, and unrepairable by by the greater world of Palladium.

What do you think? Too munchy?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Danzi Armor from Eastern Territories

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I am not seeing how you can justify an AR of 12 for padded armor when it is normally an 8 or 9.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
RockJock
Knight

Here is my thought process. Standard cloth goes from an AR of 5 to 8 when quilted. I started at an AR of 9 for the Danzi fiber and added 3 for the 12. Or, 5*1.6=8AR, 9*1.6=14.4, and I went down to 12AR. The end result is a cloth armor that fell in between hard and studded leather for protection.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

An AR of 9 would already have the armor being pretty thick and stiff. Would there be any movement penalties by raising it beyond that?
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Can you give us a page number on the cloth. I'm fairly lazy regarding looking that up.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
RockJock
Knight

Danzi Chuna-Cloth is located on page 220, toward the back of Eastern Territories.

The description has the basic cloth being waterproof, and very hard to rip, but can be used as fairly regular fabric for making everything from clothing to a tent out of. It is considered magical because as the Danzi make it some of their inborn magic aura is transferred to the fabric, but it isn't actively enchanted, or anything like that. From the description it is almost a PF version of Goretex, or even Kevlar.

I took the original version being the kind of protection a single thickness of cloth would provide, such as in a shirt and pants set, and would be similar to say denim or another heavy cotton fabric at the heavy end. Based on that I envisioned the quilted version having no movement penalty, just like quilted armor made of cotton, or linen is considered "light" armor and has no real penalty.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

On the surface I see no real problem with this. I've worked with Danzi characters quite a bit (one of my players has a Danzi ranger, so I know about the leather). I have no problem, personally, with them developing the skill to upgrade something that they themselves created in the first place! It seems like a logical progression.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The AR 12 SDC 35 does not seam to have any munchkin in it, and looks like the fairly strait forward from the cloth data, to an multi layer armor.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I don't find it that munchy. It's not like it's giving the character s huge advantage over the other characters that can buy a suit of studded leather and be better protected. I'd just worry, if I were the character, how I could affect repairs. He'd have to carry around a supply of the cloth to mend any rips or tears.

-Vek
"Hold me closer Tony Danzi"
RockJock
Knight

Actually this was going to be a hunting group of Danzi NPCs. The group is rescued by Danzi warriors. There might, and I mean might be a single suit given to a PC if his armor is toast, and he risks his life to save a Danzi. If that happens it would be a temporary set of armor, and once it was damaged it would be gone.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”