Where is Excalibur?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crucible
Champion

Where is Excalibur?

Unread post by Crucible »

In Rifts England I was strongly miffed at the fact that Excalibur was left out and Calibur-X was the weapon for Arthur (Arthuu?) can't remember. Does anyone know if I overlooked something somewhere? Thanks.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Where is Excalibur?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

In a pocket dimension with the real lady of the lake.

I would guess that (in game terms) excalibur is ether a rune weapon as per the PF main book, or a minor rune weapon like the rune daishio from rifts japan, or an HU enchanted weapon of order, or the chinese weapons of power from mystic china.
I would write it up as ether a rune daishio like or a chinese weapon of power du to all the tails I've heard it did not have an intelligence of it;s own.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Crucible
Champion

This would have been awesome to have in game for so many reasons. That Calibur-X weapon was laughable.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Excalibur was an SDC sword?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

gaaahhhh wrote:Excalibur was an SDC sword?

Yes, the sword the stories are made up round only did ND, and would of been only SDC.

Even today I don't think we could make an MDC sword, even if we can make weapons that would do MD if there was MDC to do MD to.

The closest thing I can think of that would be MDC would be the US (or UK) main battle tank.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Shorty
D-Bee
Comment: Credo Quia Absurdum

Unread post by Shorty »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Yes, the sword the stories are made up round only did ND, and would of been only SDC.

Even today I don't think we could make an MDC sword, even if we can make weapons that would do MD if there was MDC to do MD to.

The closest thing I can think of that would be MDC would be the US (or UK) main battle tank.

Excalibur is a magic sword and was according to the legends a fairly powerful one. so in the Rifts setting it would be an MDC sword with magic properties.
Shorty,
"[A] wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."
--Thomas Jefferson
Crucible
Champion

BARQ wrote:GAHH UM HATE TO SAY THIS EXCALIBUR may be sdc in it's envoirment but
it will be mdc in a high pe enviorment if you go by the legends excalibur would be one of the most formidable weapons on the rifts earth. or any other, my two cents.
Would definately be MDC on Rifts Earth.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Shorty wrote:

Excalibur is a magic sword and was according to the legends a fairly powerful one. so in the Rifts setting it would be an MDC sword with magic properties.

Most magical sword in rifts are MDC, and do MD. yep

On Rifts earth, three out of the four types of magic swords I mentioned are MDC or indestructible and do MD, by their base definitions.
Crucible
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Shorty wrote:

Most magical sword in rifts are MDC, and do MD. yep

On Rifts earth, three out of the four types of magic swords I mentioned are MDC or indestructible and do MD, by their base definitions.

I had hopes that it would be in a different class than Rune Weapons or Simple Magic, maybe extradimensional or something like that. Mostly just an intro to the weapon itself.

Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

I saw Storm Shadow chop a tank in half with it once :lol:
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
Crucible
Champion

Pox wrote:I saw Storm Shadow chop a tank in half with it once :lol:
:badbad: WHERE IS MY EXCALIBUR!!??

LOL. J/K :lol:

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Crucible wrote:This would have been awesome to have in game for so many reasons. That Calibur-X weapon was laughable.

Agreed. Calibur X was lame.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

What i always thought intersting is that acording to some legends of Camelot is that it and Arther rose to true greatness AFTER Merlin went to sleep in the Crystal Caves. So Merlin wasn't around durring most of its Rise and all of its Fall. So this means Merlin had NOTHING to do with the legends of Arther being taken to Avalon to rest and heal till he was needed again, or with the true Excaliber being thrown back into a lake.

I always wanted to do a game where the original Arther returned, reclaimed Excaliber, and drove Myrrlyn out of Rifts Earth. But first a group of hearty adventurers would have to sneak into the Crystal Caverns and free the real Lady of the Lake where Myrrlyn has magialy held her captive since the return of magic to the world.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Might be able to write it up as a Holy Weapon could be another idea? And don't forget the scabbard also had magical abilities of it's own - said to prevent blood loss.

I'd give Excalibur the abilities of Damage Bonus, Monster Slayer (as found in Rifts Atlantis pg 128 for Holy Weapons), the ability to create a Globe of Daylight, and give the scabbard the equivalent to Healing Touch (again pg 128 Rifts Atlantis) - going by the book anyway.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:Might be able to write it up as a Holy Weapon could be another idea? And don't forget the scabbard also had magical abilities of it's own - said to prevent blood loss.

I'd give Excalibur the abilities of Damage Bonus, Monster Slayer (as found in Rifts Atlantis pg 128 for Holy Weapons), the ability to create a Globe of Daylight, and give the scabbard the equivalent to Healing Touch (again pg 128 Rifts Atlantis) - going by the book anyway.

:ok:
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Mallak's Place wrote:What i always thought intersting is that acording to some legends of Camelot is that it and Arther rose to true greatness AFTER Merlin went to sleep in the Crystal Caves. So Merlin wasn't around durring most of its Rise and all of its Fall. So this means Merlin had NOTHING to do with the legends of Arther being taken to Avalon to rest and heal till he was needed again, or with the true Excaliber being thrown back into a lake.

I always wanted to do a game where the original Arther returned, reclaimed Excaliber, and drove Myrrlyn out of Rifts Earth. But first a group of hearty adventurers would have to sneak into the Crystal Caverns and free the real Lady of the Lake where Myrrlyn has magialy held her captive since the return of magic to the world.

You know, thats pretty hard core.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Crucible
Champion

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:What i always thought intersting is that acording to some legends of Camelot is that it and Arther rose to true greatness AFTER Merlin went to sleep in the Crystal Caves. So Merlin wasn't around durring most of its Rise and all of its Fall. So this means Merlin had NOTHING to do with the legends of Arther being taken to Avalon to rest and heal till he was needed again, or with the true Excaliber being thrown back into a lake.

You know, thats pretty hard core.

Thats pretty much what I was going to say.

Another poster said to write it up as a Holy Weapon, then the Weapon Mage from Rifter 9-10.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I had not thought of holy weapons in my 1st post, but if "The Lady of the Lake" was a goddess it would fit.

There is also the artifact weapons in the NightLands book.

While I don't think Exy would be one, I would mention that there are the crystal weapons (psi) in "Island at the Edge of the World".

(off in right field)
If it is related to atlantians, it might of been a goddess' magic weapon tattoo. That the goddess was maintaining it while she loaned it out. So if you seek the sword you need to earn the goddess's trust or to be on a quest for that goddess.
Crucible
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I had not thought of holy weapons in my 1st post, but if "The Lady of the Lake" was a goddess it would fit.

While I don't think Exy would be one, I would mention that there are the crystal weapons (psi) in "Island at the Edge of the World".

(off in right field)
If it is related to atlantians, it might of been a goddess' magic weapon tattoo. That the goddess was maintaining it while she loaned it out. So if you seek the sword you need to earn the goddess's trust or to be on a quest for that goddess.

That last part makes sense, but ewww. I would hate that one. Where has it said that she's a goddess?

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Crucible wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I had not thought of holy weapons in my 1st post, but if "The Lady of the Lake" was a goddess it would fit.

(off in right field)

That last part makes sense, but ewww. I would hate that one. Where has it said that she's a goddess?

No where that I know of, that is why I used the word 'if'.

But as to how... the goddess activated the tattoo and then gives the resultent weapon to arthur. and then invested semi-perm PPE to keep it active.
Crucible
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Crucible wrote:

(off in right field)

But as to how... the goddess activated the tattoo and then gives the resultent weapon to arthur. and then invested semi-perm PPE to keep it active.

No I didn't question how. I assumed you knew what you were talking about and went with it. I don't challenge everything that I see, its pointless to do so. I just didn't know if I missed something about her being a goddess. Thanks.

I only wish that the real thing was IG.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Crucible wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Crucible wrote:That last part makes sense, but ewww. I would hate that one. Where has it said that she's a goddess?

But as to how... the goddess activated the tattoo and then gives the resultant weapon to arthur. and then invested semi-perm PPE to keep it active.

No I didn't question how. I assumed you knew what you were talking about and went with it. I don't challenge everything that I see, its pointless to do so. I just didn't know if I missed something about her being a goddess. Thanks.

I guess I misunderstood your " ewwww."
Crucible
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Crucible wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Crucible wrote:That last part makes sense, but ewww. I would hate that one. Where has it said that she's a goddess?

But as to how... the goddess activated the tattoo and then gives the resultant weapon to arthur. and then invested semi-perm PPE to keep it active.

I guess I misunderstood your " ewwww."

They have these smileys over here and sometimes I neglect to use them.

Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Excalibur should be made as follows:

Excalibur: This Weapon is considered a Greatest Rune Weapon and contains the soul of none other than King Arthur. It has a Scrupulous Good alignment and any attempt to turn to evil while wielding it will be met with an immediate deadly blast of righteous energy from the hilt of the weapon. (2d6x10 MD, usually instantly killing the holder.) Excalibur deals 2d4x10 MD, double that to supernatural beings and creatures of supernatural evil, including vampires. The weapon has an IQ of 15 and an ME of 22. Arthur was smart but not brilliant, yet he was one of the most stubborn men the Megaverse has ever seen.

The Rune Weapon can cast the following spells twice a day: Charismatic Aura, Targeted Deflection, Beat Impossible Odds, and Armorbane. The Sword will cast Armorbane on any opponent that the wielder considers a significant threat. Spell Strength is 16.

None of these abilities function if the wielder is not worthy to be the true King of England. None of these abilities will function if the person is not of English descent and tries to become King of England.

However...

Excalibur is not nearly as powerful, some believe, as this magical item.

Excalibur's Scabbard: This magical item does only one thing. It casts Armor of Ithan on it's user over and over again. As soon as the armor is depleted, the scabbard renews it. The Armor of Ithan functions at the 10th level of experience. This ability does not function if the wielder is not worthy to be the true King of England. This ability will not function if the person is not of English Descent and tries to become King of England.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

I would say "Never being able to be killed by most effects" would count as being worth ten of a single weapon.
Crucible
Champion

Balabanto wrote:Excalibur should be made as follows:

Excalibur: This Weapon is considered a Greatest Rune Weapon and contains the soul of none other than King Arthur. It has a Scrupulous Good alignment and any attempt to turn to evil while wielding it will be met with an immediate deadly blast of righteous energy from the hilt of the weapon. (2d6x10 MD, usually instantly killing the holder.) Excalibur deals 2d4x10 MD, double that to supernatural beings and creatures of supernatural evil, including vampires. The weapon has an IQ of 15 and an ME of 22. Arthur was smart but not brilliant, yet he was one of the most stubborn men the Megaverse has ever seen.

The Rune Weapon can cast the following spells twice a day: Charismatic Aura, Targeted Deflection, Beat Impossible Odds, and Armorbane. The Sword will cast Armorbane on any opponent that the wielder considers a significant threat. Spell Strength is 16.

None of these abilities function if the wielder is not worthy to be the true King of England. None of these abilities will function if the person is not of English descent and tries to become King of England.

However...

Excalibur is not nearly as powerful, some believe, as this magical item.

Excalibur's Scabbard: This magical item does only one thing. It casts Armor of Ithan on it's user over and over again. As soon as the armor is depleted, the scabbard renews it. The Armor of Ithan functions at the 10th level of experience. This ability does not function if the wielder is not worthy to be the true King of England. This ability will not function if the person is not of English Descent and tries to become King of England.

I do not like Runes for this particular weapon.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

you know, thinking back on it... i'm not sure i even particularly noticed most 'rune' weapons having runes...

hmmm... yeah... looking at the art... i'd say the average rune weapon is about as runic as i am, afaict :P

so there you go. i mean, just because it's called a rune weapon doesn't mean it has runes on it, or is in any way related to runes (apparently) :P
Crucible
Champion

Shark_Force wrote:you know, thinking back on it... i'm not sure i even particularly noticed most 'rune' weapons having runes...

hmmm... yeah... looking at the art... i'd say the average rune weapon is about as runic as i am, afaict :P

so there you go. i mean, just because it's called a rune weapon doesn't mean it has runes on it, or is in any way related to runes (apparently) :P

Which is why I do not like Rune weapons in Palladium.

gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

BARQ wrote:GAHH UM HATE TO SAY THIS EXCALIBUR may be sdc in it's envoirment but
it will be mdc in a high pe enviorment if you go by the legends excalibur would be one of the most formidable weapons on the rifts earth. or any other, my two cents.

Excalibur just had some really good PR.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

*wonders how Arthur could use excalibur if his soul was in the sword...*
Crucible
Champion

Iron Manticore wrote:Rune Weapons do not have to have runes on them. :) If I recall correctly, in order to make a rune weapon, a being of some level of power (dragon, demon, etc.) must place its soul into the weapon either willingly or unwillingly.
What's the deal Crucible? You don't want it to be a rune weapon because you don't want runes all over it, but you say you don't like Palladium's rune weapons because they don't have runes on them?? I'm confused.

Is it just the term "rune" you don't like or is it more along your dislike of someone using the same term over and over again to describe an artifact, like your dislike of Alien Intelligences. I mean, it's just a word afterall. So it's a Rune sword. If it would make you happier, just replace the word rune with a word more to your liking and then make it a "insert word here" sword.

This is not a Rune Weapon and as for talking about something here, wouldn't I have to use canon terms for folks to understand the English that is typed? I love actual Runes, I do not like the Palladium version of "Rune" weapons. Its a bad idea like the Alien Intelligences. Wow, I actually dislike two concepts, I must be a real troll.

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Crucible wrote:
Iron Manticore wrote:Rune Weapons do not have to have runes on them. :) If I recall correctly, in order to make a rune weapon, a being of some level of power (dragon, demon, etc.) must place its soul into the weapon either willingly or unwillingly.
What's the deal Crucible? You don't want it to be a rune weapon because you don't want runes all over it, but you say you don't like Palladium's rune weapons because they don't have runes on them?? I'm confused.

Is it just the term "rune" you don't like or is it more along your dislike of someone using the same term over and over again to describe an artifact, like your dislike of Alien Intelligences. I mean, it's just a word afterall. So it's a Rune sword. If it would make you happier, just replace the word rune with a word more to your liking and then make it a "insert word here" sword.

This is not a Rune Weapon and as for talking about something here, wouldn't I have to use canon terms for folks to understand the English that is typed? I love actual Runes, I do not like the Palladium version of "Rune" weapons. Its a bad idea like the Alien Intelligences. Wow, I actually dislike two concepts, I must be a real troll.

Wait a minute, you dislike two concepts? I was willing to let you slide on disliking one thing palladium does, after all no ones perfect, but two? That is unforgivable.

Btw, sarcasm. Other boards complain that anyone who disagrees with palladium gets shot down by fans, who troll you and don't face consequences. I have yet to see this, but they can't all be wrong, so I thought I'd throw them a bone. Now they have an example if they take it out of context.

Anywho, I agree that it is not a rune item, just a very, very well enchanted item.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

yeah, i don't recall any hint of the legends saying that the sword was intelligent, per se. at least, not "telepathically speaks with the wielder" sort of intelligent.
Crucible
Champion

Iron Manticore wrote:Crucible, I don't think you're a troll, and you are free to dislike things...I just like to call you on them because I want you to elaborate why you don't like them. :lol: I like answers man, not one liners. You just throw out one-liners like I don't like rune weapons...why dude? They are very kewl items, the Impaler from Atlantis can crawl around and stab people. Then there's Deathkiss, a very kewl sword.

Were you saying "This is not a rune weapon" in regards to Excalibur or in regards to what you bolded, because I would have to say that you are incorrect in regards to what you bolded. Rune Weapons are indeed made that way, its detailed in Atlantis and maybe in other books. Rune Weapons require the soul of a powerful supernatural creature, which is why most "good" characters/gods would only weild one if the soul inside it was transfered willingly.

I just don't like the way that Rune weapons are in Palladium. Do I allow my players to have them? Sure. I just don't like them and in Celtic and Gaelic Lore this is NOT how Rune Working is. Now, sure its just a word, but words can cause confusion within the contexts of what the writer means. I'd prefer not to have everything that is Rune as something that was alive once.

Nightmaster
Hero

Unread post by Nightmaster »

Gryphon wrote:Actually there is nothing at all wrong with the current Arthur, Excalibur, Knights of the Round, Merlin, Lady, etc. They aren't supposed to represent the real thing, as it says, and as I assume all of you know. So the real fun is what happens if the current Arr'thur (or whatever) REALLY is the young king reborn, and happens to run into the real sword somewhere during his travels? How the heck does faux Merlin explain that one!

Even better, what if some common knight or one of the Rival Cavaliers happens to find the Excalibur, and he really is legitimately acceptable to the sword, even if only in teh interim? If gaining a worthy wielder is a criteria for Merlin the Real returning to the world, what does he do now? There is a pretender, a good man, a worthy man maybe, on the throne, being guided by a being that is significantly more powerful than he is. The "real", worthy wielder isn't even Arthur, or perhaps he is, but it is something like his middle name, or maybe his family name is Artorius or some similar. What is Merlin the Real to do now? He can't hope to win a confrontation with an alien intelligence, but he can hardly stand idly by and watch England's potentially golden future be wasted. And he has to keep some young punk knightling, or worse, the alien intelligence's pet king, from getting himself killed or even blowing the whistle. Now, toss a decent group of PCs into that mix, and watch history being made!

Except that in the Rifts Engalnd book its clearly said that the "Merlin" of the legend is Myrrlin the Alien Intelligence. Also if you remember the legend Excalibur was the sword Arthur father used, a sword given to him by Merlin, and that in its dead Arthur commanded one of his knights to thrown the sword into the lake three times, being the third time the last since he was dead when the knight returned.

The reason that Myrrlin dindt used Excalibur when he decided to run the show a second time can be anyone guess but my guess is that the original sword somehow wasnt were it was means to be.

The sword was created by Zazshan (Merlin) to be a powerful sword to be used by the one he choosed to be the main pawn into his schemes of domination. That man was Uther Pendragon. But Uther was killed and so Zazshan had to use Uther's son Arthur as a pawn. Zazshan plans however were destroyed by the interference of several individuals as Guinevere, Lancelot and Morgan Lefey that were not in his control at the time. That and the increased decline in ambient PPE of Earth make (as stated in the book) Zazshan to hibernate.

After that the story is already know and when dying, Arthur commanded one of his knights to thrown Excalibur back into the Ladys hand. The knight returned two times not being able to throw the sword. By the third time Arthur commanded him to do so and the legend says that so he did. The catch comes now (in a Palladium fashion).

Since the Lady of the Lake was a fragment of Zazshan and he was already sleeping, by the third time the knight returned to the lake the Lady didnt appear to get the sword since she like his master was gone to sleep too. The knight most probably returned again only to find that Arthur was already dead. He keep the sword to protect it from ambitious people and during generations the family of the Knight guarded the sword. But as with anything, eventually the sword was lost by the family during the centuries and his whereabouts are unknown. When the Coming of the Rifts striked, the sword was filled with so much PPE that it changed from a normal enchanted blade (as per the rules of alchemical weapons from Palladium Fantasy) to something much more powerful. The reason: belief.

In some cultures (like the japanese) there is the belief that objects have a life of their own and that sometimes an object can "awaken" if the right circunstances presente thenselves. Now Excalibur was for centuries a icon of hope and justice in the legends. A sword wielded by a king so noble and good that even the french wrote poems about him the the sword. Its said in legends that during England most dark hour both Arthur and Excalibur would come back to lead the people again and vanquish darkness. The Coming of the Rifts in 2098 was the begining of England darkest hour.

During those times, faced with horrors that appear to came from their very nightmares, the people of England most probably taked refuge into their legends and Excalibur was the icon of hope for many in those days. Its said that the belief of many can work wonders. Its also true that its the belief of mortals that empower the gods and give then the abilities to do what they do. Now what more than 1500 years of belief can do to a enchanted blade when imbued with so much energy as the Coming of the Rifts poored into the world? A miracle I guess...

The sword was transformed from the simple enchanted blade of eons past into a new sword. Since it was for so many time the icon of justice and hope for so many people since the death of the original Arthur, Excalibur was imbued with the psychic echoes of those believers. When the Coming of the Rifts happened, those echoes mixed with the cries for help of the people dying during the cataclysm and the stagering amount of PPE in the ambient awakened the sword. Because of what she was for all those that believed into her existence, Excalibur became something similar to a Holy Weapon, however It would took some centuries before the sword could have become fully awake and thus only now by (insert the date you wish) it is fully awake and begins to call for its true owner, be it Arthuur of New Camelot of someone else. What is more important its that the sword remember who Merlin was and what were his plans and most probably it could identify its creator if the two meet again.

Now some druids have heard the sword calling into their dreams and right now are searching for her so that they could lead her to the one destined to wield her.

As the Rifts England clearly states, Zazshan in the post rifts world is not taking chances anymore and thus Giunevere and several other important around Arthuur are his pawns or fragment essences. What will be his surprise if by any chance the sword he created almost 2000 years ago reappear just to lay to ground his plans?

That is just my two cents
Crucible
Champion

Nightmaster wrote:
Gryphon wrote:Actually there is nothing at all wrong with the current Arthur, Excalibur, Knights of the Round, Merlin, Lady, etc. They aren't supposed to represent the real thing, as it says, and as I assume all of you know. So the real fun is what happens if the current Arr'thur (or whatever) REALLY is the young king reborn, and happens to run into the real sword somewhere during his travels? How the heck does faux Merlin explain that one!

Even better, what if some common knight or one of the Rival Cavaliers happens to find the Excalibur, and he really is legitimately acceptable to the sword, even if only in teh interim? If gaining a worthy wielder is a criteria for Merlin the Real returning to the world, what does he do now? There is a pretender, a good man, a worthy man maybe, on the throne, being guided by a being that is significantly more powerful than he is. The "real", worthy wielder isn't even Arthur, or perhaps he is, but it is something like his middle name, or maybe his family name is Artorius or some similar. What is Merlin the Real to do now? He can't hope to win a confrontation with an alien intelligence, but he can hardly stand idly by and watch England's potentially golden future be wasted. And he has to keep some young punk knightling, or worse, the alien intelligence's pet king, from getting himself killed or even blowing the whistle. Now, toss a decent group of PCs into that mix, and watch history being made!

Except that in the Rifts Engalnd book its clearly said that the "Merlin" of the legend is Myrrlin the Alien Intelligence. Also if you remember the legend Excalibur was the sword Arthur father used, a sword given to him by Merlin, and that in its dead Arthur commanded one of his knights to thrown the sword into the lake three times, being the third time the last since he was dead when the knight returned.

The reason that Myrrlin dindt used Excalibur when he decided to run the show a second time can be anyone guess but my guess is that the original sword somehow wasnt were it was means to be.

The sword was created by Zazshan (Merlin) to be a powerful sword to be used by the one he choosed to be the main pawn into his schemes of domination. That man was Uther Pendragon. But Uther was killed and so Zazshan had to use Uther's son Arthur as a pawn. Zazshan plans however were destroyed by the interference of several individuals as Guinevere, Lancelot and Morgan Lefey that were not in his control at the time. That and the increased decline in ambient PPE of Earth make (as stated in the book) Zazshan to hibernate.

After that the story is already know and when dying, Arthur commanded one of his knights to thrown Excalibur back into the Ladys hand. The knight returned two times not being able to throw the sword. By the third time Arthur commanded him to do so and the legend says that so he did. The catch comes now (in a Palladium fashion).

Since the Lady of the Lake was a fragment of Zazshan and he was already sleeping, by the third time the knight returned to the lake the Lady didnt appear to get the sword since she like his master was gone to sleep too. The knight most probably returned again only to find that Arthur was already dead. He keep the sword to protect it from ambitious people and during generations the family of the Knight guarded the sword. But as with anything, eventually the sword was lost by the family during the centuries and his whereabouts are unknown. When the Coming of the Rifts striked, the sword was filled with so much PPE that it changed from a normal enchanted blade (as per the rules of alchemical weapons from Palladium Fantasy) to something much more powerful. The reason: belief.

In some cultures (like the japanese) there is the belief that objects have a life of their own and that sometimes an object can "awaken" if the right circunstances presente thenselves. Now Excalibur was for centuries a icon of hope and justice in the legends. A sword wielded by a king so noble and good that even the french wrote poems about him the the sword. Its said in legends that during England most dark hour both Arthur and Excalibur would come back to lead the people again and vanquish darkness. The Coming of the Rifts in 2098 was the begining of England darkest hour.

During those times, faced with horrors that appear to came from their very nightmares, the people of England most probably taked refuge into their legends and Excalibur was the icon of hope for many in those days. Its said that the belief of many can work wonders. Its also true that its the belief of mortals that empower the gods and give then the abilities to do what they do. Now what more than 1500 years of belief can do to a enchanted blade when imbued with so much energy as the Coming of the Rifts poored into the world? A miracle I guess...

The sword was transformed from the simple enchanted blade of eons past into a new sword. Since it was for so many time the icon of justice and hope for so many people since the death of the original Arthur, Excalibur was imbued with the psychic echoes of those believers. When the Coming of the Rifts happened, those echoes mixed with the cries for help of the people dying during the cataclysm and the stagering amount of PPE in the ambient awakened the sword. Because of what she was for all those that believed into her existence, Excalibur became something similar to a Holy Weapon, however It would took some centuries before the sword could have become fully awake and thus only now by (insert the date you wish) it is fully awake and begins to call for its true owner, be it Arthuur of New Camelot of someone else. What is more important its that the sword remember who Merlin was and what were his plans and most probably it could identify its creator if the two meet again.

Now some druids have heard the sword calling into their dreams and right now are searching for her so that they could lead her to the one destined to wield her.

As the Rifts England clearly states, Zazshan in the post rifts world is not taking chances anymore and thus Giunevere and several other important around Arthuur are his pawns or fragment essences. What will be his surprise if by any chance the sword he created almost 2000 years ago reappear just to lay to ground his plans?

That is just my two cents

No its not just two cents. Thats worth two full campaigns. Take a bow man. This is going as canon into my games. May I? I wish to copy/paste into my wordpad and airbrush it a little, but I want this scenario.

Nightmaster
Hero

Unread post by Nightmaster »

Use it to your heart contents :-D

I always like the Arthurian legends and one of the things that striked me when I first read Rifts England background was the absence of the sword as well.

I dont have a dislike for the caliber-X because it was the panacea Zazshan used this time to recreate the show in post rifts time. I guess that he could have created a real powerful runelike sword using the abundant ambient PPE at his disposal but that could be dangerous since once created there is nothing that could prevent it to be used against him. The Caliber-X is a lot more weak and fills the role quite well.

Anyway I am glad you liked :)
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I always wanted to change the England canon as well, instead of Zashan being the original basis for those myths, he was actually copying older myths himself.

I had devised a campaign where the players had to find the real Lady of the Lake (an elemental essence) who would help them to heal the god InDagda from his madness. He would then help them to awake the real Myrddin/Merlin and the original Arthur. They would then battle the Zashan with the player characters.

I would use this scenario so that Myrddin could train men and women to become True Druids (a new OCC) who actually had the powers described in the original Rifts book (where some village was being attacked by debees and the druid summoned a wall of stone and the creatures ran screaming, rather than the boring herbologists from Rifts England). They would be more like traditional spell casters but could only cast spells from a limited selection of normal spells and elemental spells.

Oh and as far as Excalibur goes, yeah I think what everyone else has said here nails it. A Holy Weapon/Rune Sword- wikipedia lists an interesting power "when Excalibur was first drawn, Arthur's enemies were blinded by its blade, which was as bright as thirty torches." that would be cool. Also the scabbard should be of equal power, maybe making the wearer MDC (that would have made them impossible to cut and bleed in an SDC environment) and providing the wearer with half damage from sharp weapons but full damage from crushing ones.
Last edited by grandmaster z0b on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Wildfire
Adventurer

Unread post by Wildfire »

I like this idea.
An awakening sword that calls its owner.
I think I will use this in a game in England. However I put a little twist on it.
1. the sword is awkened and has been found by an elder angel who is dying while caring for it.
2. it will be a little more HU2 style magic weapon power catigory.
3. the sword has decided that it must fight against the evil that is Merlin.
4. one of my players will be the Arthur or can use the blade in its capacity until Arthur returns from Avalon.
5. the blade does double damage(1d6*10 normal damage) to Myrlin's essances and 1d6*50 to him.

on the Caliber-X thing, I love that weapon and have given them to a few Psi based PCs (minor and, major and masters) it is a cool device. 1 madwe it to an a new planet where there are psi worrior types and has be reverse engineered and it is now the main weapon for a group of warriors.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Shorty wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

What powers did the Excaliber have exactly anyways according to its myths an legends ?
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Actually, Excalibur lies somewhere in the Phantom's Skull Cave.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Crucible
Champion

Excalibur was eteranally sharp...super sharp. Try adamatium claws sharp...actually cut through adamatium claws sharp. That sharp. No other powers or abilities, just sharp as all get.

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Crucible wrote:Excalibur was eteranally sharp...super sharp. Try adamatium claws sharp...actually cut through adamatium claws sharp. That sharp. No other powers or abilities, just sharp as all get.

Also, its hilt pretty much protected you from all harm, and gave you superhuman healing to deal with the few magic things that could hurt you. iirc.

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:Excalibur was eteranally sharp...super sharp. Try adamatium claws sharp...actually cut through adamatium claws sharp. That sharp. No other powers or abilities, just sharp as all get.

Also, its hilt pretty much protected you from all harm, and gave you superhuman healing to deal with the few magic things that could hurt you. iirc.

I would say that the wielder gets HU2 abilities from the hilt ala Enchanted Object.

TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Excalibur would make a better NIGHTBANE ARTIFACT WEAPON.
The Lady of the Lake and excalibur is meantioned in the the NB book Through the Glass Darkly sourcebook. Much better material than the rifts england crap.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Crucible
Champion

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:Excalibur would make a better NIGHTBANE ARTIFACT WEAPON.
The Lady of the Lake and excalibur is meantioned in the the NB book Through the Glass Darkly sourcebook. Much better material than the rifts england crap.

I always liked Rifts England. Though over the years with all that's come afterward, Rifts England is really due for a re-write now.

More like a retcon overhaul.

Crucible
Champion

Crucible wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:Excalibur would make a better NIGHTBANE ARTIFACT WEAPON.

I always liked Rifts England. Though over the years with all that's come afterward, Rifts England is really due for a re-write now.

More like a retcon overhaul.

Though I against retconing in genral England would be my first victom if left up to me.

Not real sure what happened there man. I was expecting something else.

TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:I like the ley line map of Great Britian, and in general I like the over all theme of England, but that silly Camalot story line should be taken out. I like the druids and would like to see more on them.

The whole Alien Intelligence thing needs to thrown out to be honest.

If they keep a "Arthure" Court theme, do it better.
Arthure is the Actual King Arthur Pendragon. Maybe Arthur was really a KungKu Dragon (sp?) instead of Lancealot. Would work better, and give him a reason to come back. Then again, I'm all for this too :
King Arthur Pendragon was taken through a Mystic Portal to Avalon itself were the Celtic Gods healed his body and spirit. Embracing the Celtic Gods now as part of his destiny. Arthur is brought back to Modern RIFTS Earth to fullfill his destiny once again.
Arthur surrounds himself with Noble Warriors he encounters such as Cyber-knights, a roving Cyborg Giant from Russia, and others. (no play on names from Legends). Arthur himself is a Simple KNIGHT OCC. No Psychic Powers or Magics of his own. He does have Equipement. A Rune Armor, Sword, Shield combination (from PB D&G).
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

IIRC, that was the scabard that offered protection.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Yeah, no need for an AI or all the goofy spellings of the old names. It's just painful. I do like the Athurian themes though.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Return to “Rifts®”