RMA & How would X Pre-Rifts General Do In Rifts Earth?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: RMA & How would X Pre-Rifts General Do In Rifts Earth?

Unread post by Shark_Force »

well, one of the biggest changes i think most 20th century generals would notice right off the bat: where the <censored> did my <censored censored censored> artillery go you <censored censored censored censored>. (actually, there may be a lot less swearing involved... but i still think they're going to be mad).

other than that, magic changes just about everything, potentially. the main problem is that it's not easily mass-produced, and that limits it's effect; if you have two dozen shifters with the right spells, you can teleport large numbers of troops all over the place. with the right spells you can create walls that will literally stop everything, no matter what it is. you can make your soldiers able to uproot trees with their bare hands, shrug off tank shells, mind control enemies, immobilise even the largest of opponents, and who knows what else.

the problem, of course, is that it's very hard to predict what your opponent has available, and what you have available, because the effectiveness and availability of magic is so variable. you might have a magician who can animate a hundred mummies per day, but then again, you might also have a magician who can't so much as animate a single corpse. you might have someone who can summon a dozen gargoyles and every time one dies they just go get a new one... and then again, you may have someone who can't even summon anything at all. you might have someone who can spend a few months bulding and bust out a machine that can raise the dead (or heck, it might take only a day or so, given how the rules are written), and you might not. and most of those magicians aren't necessarily going to be forthcoming with the entirety of their abilities, and certainly aren't likely to mention everything the spells they do know are capable of doing.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

the problem is that the general likely doesn't know what magic *he* has available, let alone what the enemy has available.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

As to a Revolution in Military Affairs, I am of the mind that there has either NOT been a Revolution of Military Affairs or I have to break it up into five areas with areas of "newness" pointed out:

Grand Strategy RMA: Industry, which allows for faster wars of attrition, weapons of mass destruction
Strategy RMA: Aircraft/helicopters enabling deep maneuvers far faster than traditional infiltration
Operational RMA: Ranged weapons, beyond line of sight artillery/CAS, computers (sort of, when used correctly), armored vehicles, chemical weapons/mines
Tactical: Body armor, night vision, rifles, automatic weapons
TTP's: Everything is "revolutionary" if you read the professional journals...hahaha.

BUT, in the end, a lot of people confuse HOW with WHAT. War is the same as it always has been, making someone do what you want them to...the tools have changed, but psychology, physiology and the reasons for war have not. The majority of items above don't do anything special, they just allow for things/effects to be done faster or further than previously capable.

The WHAT of war has not changed, the HOW of war has, but if a person was a good military leader, they were so because of a willingness to risk, charisma and an understanding of a great many things besides "attack" or "defend".

I think that old generals would do just fine in RIFTS if (a big IF) they could learn by experience in the new capabilities available without losing or there was some decent manuals about the "new gear" they would be unfamiliar with.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

For my 2cents worth, I'd say that power armour was a new innovation/technology initially, more recently(ala Rifts) Magic and Psionics do represent a major innovation in warfare, magic spells to make you invisible or help you hide in shadow could be a serious boon to a soldier, and psionics that boost your combat abilities i.e.; Intuitive combat, sixth sense, allow for major advantages in one person and are a bit more reliable than magic.
I believe any General (U.S. or otherwise) would quickly see the advantages to all sides of the various "tech" available and soon be equal to any current Rifts era general, maybe even better, in the use and application of said tech.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

CS Intelligence Officer: Sir, we have just discovered who their new commander is.

CS General: Spit it out I don't have all day.

CS Intelligence Officer: Sir, they have reserected Rommel and he is quoted as saying that we "Intelectual spawn of nazi Phylosophy must be stopped."

CS General: is that so?

(Sound of a MBT crashing through the side of the building and crushing anything in it's path.)

Frankly seeing the military skill of most CS Generals I'd have to say that any 20th century General would mop the floor with the CS if given half a chance.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Shark_Force wrote:the problem is that the general likely doesn't know what magic *he* has available, let alone what the enemy has available.

Any general would be very interested in elemental magic.Imagine being able to halt the enemy's advance by summoning torrential rains or tornadoes.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Rockwolf66 wrote:CS Intelligence Officer: Sir, we have just discovered who their new commander is.

CS General: Spit it out I don't have all day.

CS Intelligence Officer: Sir, they have reserected Rommel and he is quoted as saying that we "Intelectual spawn of nazi Phylosophy must be stopped."

CS General: is that so?

(Sound of a MBT crashing through the side of the building and crushing anything in it's path.)

Frankly seeing the military skill of most CS Generals I'd have to say that any 20th century General would mop the floor with the CS if given half a chance.

I tend to agree.The CS does not a better army;it just has a larger,better equipped one. And the CS does not have better tactics,everyone else has worse tactics.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Captain Shiva wrote: I tend to agree.The CS does not a better army;it just has a larger,better equipped one. And the CS does not have better tactics,everyone else has worse tactics.

You can have all the nifty tactics and strategy in the world, if your soldiers and NCO's are not trained to a high enough standard to accomplish the tasks, your generals are worthless...unless he is willing to play "the compensation game" which means you need a big army to pull your diamonds in the rough OR just wear the enemy out with attrition, which is a viable strategy, but not much need for "genius" in that game...

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg

Return to “Rifts®”