naming a patriot type character

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

znbrtn
Hero

naming a patriot type character

Unread post by znbrtn »

i've been working on a concept for a character based on the idea of a standard bearer, but i'm having trouble thinking of a pleasing name for him, so i'd like to throw the idea out there, perhaps get some suggestions. the one that keeps coming back to me is Gold Standard, but i don't like the color reference.

i'm thinking he will be a long-ago injured military grunt that, through some deal with a spirit of freedom or protection or some such, was granted the ability to transform into a youthful, capable, powerful form(empowered double-amputee victim, physical transformation: demigod).

as part of his powers, he creates/wields a pole with his allied country's flag on it, which can extend lengths of flag-patterned fabric for varied uses(ectoplasmic webbing), as well as extend to surround a person, then become mostly indestructible(immobilization ray). i have further ideas(perhaps a mode of flight and a personal defensive ability like hyperdensity), but the previous two are the core of the idea.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: naming a patriot type character

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

You can always go with comic book character names from older comics, like Major Victory or Yankee, both which are public domain, btw. The Superpatriot name has been overly used, but it is another standard one. Others that come to mind are Captain Courage, War Veteran, Captain Freedom, Flagstaff, War Flag, War Ensign, and Emblem.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

i'm late for class, but these are great suggestions; i'll figure some out when i get back.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

What about............The Patriot?

Yeah, not very original.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Careful, now. You guys are getting off topic.:)
My suggestions:

Captain Glory
Union
National Man
Free Nation
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

I always liked the idea of a superpatriot having a public identity as a war hero. I don't see them as street level heroes needing to disguise themselves.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

after much deliberation, i think i'm gonna have to go with Union. it's simple, catchy, awesome.

the identity bit, i think i may go with. a hero that puts it all out there, giving himself entirely to his countrymen, really works well for me.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Smlawrence8 »

red. white, and blue baller.........lol
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Flagwaver
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Mephisto wrote:
Danger wrote:Flagwaver

Already a character in the SLJ

Your point?
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

Danger wrote:
Mephisto wrote:

Your point?

your face!
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

znbrtn wrote:
Danger wrote:
Mephisto wrote:

Your point?

your face!

Post count +1 for you.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

Danger wrote:
znbrtn wrote:
Danger wrote:
Mephisto wrote:

Your point?

your face!

Post count +1 for you.

post count +1 for your face! :P
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:you know, i could write a paragraph about how upset i am at you guys going off topic, and the irony and everything, but instead all i am allowed to say is "i like the name flagwaver" before I go too far off topic. so... I LIKE THE NAME FLAGWAVER!!!! :-D

Technically, since znbrtn is the OP of this thread, he is free to go off topic. Technically, he did already pick a name. :bandit:
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

How about a supervillain name for an archenemy?

Flagburner
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

gaaahhhh wrote:How about a supervillain name for an archenemy?

Flagburner

Or my favorite - Hateriot. :D
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

Danger wrote:

Flagburner

not sure why, but my gut tells me that i do love that name.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

znbrtn wrote:
Danger wrote:

Flagburner

It's right up there with Adolph Hateler.
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

znbrtn wrote:
Danger wrote:

Flagburner

So do I. I've been meaning to write him up, as part of a Mega-Villain duo: Hateriot and Singineer. :D
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Danger wrote:
znbrtn wrote:
Danger wrote:

Flagburner

So do I. I've been meaning to write him up, as part of a Mega-Villain duo: Hateriot and Singineer. :D

Maybe Flagburner has a little professional rivalry going with Hateriot to make things interesting?
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

znbrtn wrote:after much deliberation, i think i'm gonna have to go with Union. it's simple, catchy, awesome.

the identity bit, i think i may go with. a hero that puts it all out there, giving himself entirely to his countrymen, really works well for me.

Hmm, is he British, cuz it's flag is called "the Union Jack"(Though if it matters Union Jack is a marvel or DC character) and I was going to suggest naming him after the flag he carries(Old GLory for the US etc...)
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
znbrtn wrote:after much deliberation, i think i'm gonna have to go with Union. it's simple, catchy, awesome.

Hmm, is he British, cuz it's flag is called "the Union Jack"(Though if it matters Union Jack is a marvel or DC character) and I was going to suggest naming him after the flag he carries(Old GLory for the US etc...)

The name Union is not specific to nationality and means a union of states. Union Jack is a Marvel character who has appeared in Captain America and is currently a woman whereas the two previous Union Jacks were men.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

During the Civil War, the northern United States were also referred to as the Union.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

from the beginning, i have never mentioned the actual nationality of this character. truth is, i haven't decided what country he will be from, or even if said country will be a real country.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Gryphon Chick wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

The name Union is not specific to nationality and means a union of states. Union Jack is a Marvel character who has appeared in Captain America and is currently a woman whereas the two previous Union Jacks were men.

If I recall correctly (not being british), the Union Jack is what England's flag is called. Someone may want to correct me if I've heard wrong.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gaaahhhh wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

If I recall correctly (not being british), the Union Jack is what England's flag is called. Someone may want to correct me if I've heard wrong.

Correct. Union Jack is what the flag is called, meaning "national symbol". GC was referring to the British counterpart of Captain America, Union Jack.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

How about the National Guardian?
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

gaaahhhh wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

Ahem.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Sir_Spirit wrote:
gaaahhhh wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

Ahem.

Sorry. I guess it might help if I could read. :-(
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Olaris wrote:
gaaahhhh wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

that is its name at sea i belive

Thats right its Union Jack if its on a boat otherwise its called the Union Flag.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”