Vampires and Psi-swords (and psionics in general)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Vampires and Psi-swords (and psionics in general)

Unread post by Mack »

Vampire Kingdom, p34, under the header Vampires Versus Psionics: "The psi-sword inflicts hit point damage to vampires rather than mega-damage, but cannot permanently destroy a vampire."
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Pizzamancer wrote:Yep. I came across that just now as well. Damage directly to HP and no M.D.C.. Just another question though, would you then add in your str damage bonus, or does that not count?

For example with a PS of 25, you would get a +10 to damage, but a psi-sword would only do the damage according to the level of the wielder in M.D.C. Level 6 would do 6D6 M.D.C. damage with a psi sword but 2D6 + 10 with a bokken.

Would the psi-sword do 6D6 + 10 damage to the HP if it isn't doing mega damage?

Its a energy type of attack I would not allow strength bonus.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Pizzamancer wrote:Would the psi-sword do 6D6 + 10 damage to the HP if it isn't doing mega damage?

RGMG, p. 32
PS bonuses do not apply to Psi-Swords.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

I say that a Psi=Sword is made up of solid mental energy,the same as a TK Force Field,just in the shape of a weapon,and is therfore solid,able to parry like a regular sword,and is effective against beings impervious to energy.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Physical Strength bonuses do not add to any standard MDC melee weapon.

You can parry with Psi-Swords.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Pizzamancer wrote:That is kind of the crux isn't it?

The question specifically refers to a circumstance when the psi-sword does not do MDC damage. As in the case of attacks on a vampire. We all know you don't add your PS bonus to your MDC attacks, but in the case of a non MDC attack, the rules get a bit murkier.

If the SDC damage bonus is added to a Psi-Sword vs vampire attack.what happens when a being with supernatural PS wields it? What kind of bonus gets added then? They swing a sword with infinitely more force.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Pizzamancer wrote:That is kind of the crux isn't it?

The question specifically refers to a circumstance when the psi-sword does not do MDC damage. As in the case of attacks on a vampire. We all know you don't add your PS bonus to your MDC attacks, but in the case of a non MDC attack, the rules get a bit murkier.

The weapon itself doesn't change, it just affects the creature (in this case, a vampire) differently than any other being.

Strength still does not add to any attack with a Psi-Sword. Physical strength has nothing to do with damage it is dealing.
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
Danger wrote:Strength still does not add to any attack with a Psi-Sword. Physical strength has nothing to do with damage it is dealing.

Including the Astral Plane?

Is this meant to be a serious question?
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Pizzamancer wrote:Do they damage them? I have searched RUE, Vampire Kingdoms, and Japan world book, but can't find a reference to psionics at all, other than the mind control/sleep immunity.

I was also curious about telekinetic accel attack. Would there difference between using silver chunks and bits of wood as the 'ammo'?

So far that I know with out checking the books .. No Psi-Swords can not harm a Vampire.

Only Running water, Wood, or Silver (and to a limited degree Supernatural PS) can harm a Vampire.

EDIT: An magic (again to a limited degree)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Lenwen wrote:
Pizzamancer wrote:Do they damage them? I have searched RUE, Vampire Kingdoms, and Japan world book, but can't find a reference to psionics at all, other than the mind control/sleep immunity.

I was also curious about telekinetic accel attack. Would there difference between using silver chunks and bits of wood as the 'ammo'?

So far that I know with out checking the books .. No Psi-Swords can not harm a Vampire.

Then you haven't read the VK section about vampires and psionics, where it clearly states that vampires are hurt by psi-swords.

Leave it to the pros, man.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Then you haven't read the VK section about vampires and psionics, where it clearly states that vampires are hurt by psi-swords.

KC .. notice .. the part where I said with out checking the books ..

haha ..

Prolly not .. you just wanted to try to sound all upity ..

Grats .. you are now .. THAT.. guy ..

Have fun matey ..
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

Gryphon wrote:If you add your PS damage bonus as +X SDC to an SDC weapon...

...and your Supernatural damage as +XD6 to an MDC weapon...

...and a Psi Sword is solid enough to parry physical attacks...

...why doesn't your natural, supernatural, or other wise strength effect your Psi-Swords damage?

More, if a Psi Sword is NOT a solid object, how come most depictions of Cyber Knights in battle with other Cyber Knights shows them parrying each other?!?!

And finally, if a Psi-Sword is NOT a physical object, then could you ad your Mental Endurance attribute modifier as damage to reflect your stronger will versus a potentially higher level character just receiving additional dice or damage from experience?

Strength bonuses do not add to ANY standard MDC melee weapons (I believe the Xic melee weapons are an exception to this, IIRC).
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Lenwen wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Not only not checking the books, but not even reading the thread, where I already gave the book and page number that has the answer.

It helps to do some basic checking before you post, unless you REALLY know your stuff- and you don't.

Hence- leave it to the pros.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Not only not checking the books, but not even reading the thread, where I already gave the book and page number that has the answer.

It helps to do some basic checking before you post, unless you REALLY know your stuff- and you don't.

Hence- leave it to the pros.

Hence me saying .. "with out checking the books" ..

Since I am now home an have the very book in question in hand ..

Could you tell me where pg# does it state that the Psionic Power in question can kill the Vampire .. ?

Considering you .. do call you're self a pro ?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Lenwen wrote:Hence me saying .. "with out checking the books" ..

The thing is, that's just shorthand for "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm going to jump in anyway...."

And there are a lot of threads where the actual answers are posted, but get lost in the shuffle of all the people chiming in who openly admit they don't know what they're talking about.
It just spams up the place, and makes those people look bad.

Since I am now home an have the very book in question in hand ..

Could you tell me where pg# does it state that the Psionic Power in question can kill the Vampire .. ?

Considering you .. do call you're self a pro ?

I'm a pro, not your little monkey- I don't dance on command.
;)

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

The thing is, that's just shorthand for "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm going to jump in anyway...."

Killer Cyborg wrote:I'm a pro, not your little monkey- I don't dance on command.
;)

The thing is, thats just shorthand for "I have no way to back up what you asked"

:wink:
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Lenwen wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Killer Cyborg wrote:I'm a pro, not your little monkey- I don't dance on command.
;)

The thing is, thats just shorthand for "I have no way to back up what you asked"

Actually, it means just what it says. ;)

Fact is, I don't know offhand if there is such a passage, and I don't feel like checking- therefore, I'm not going to post an answer to it.
Because that's how pros handle things- if they don't know, they don't just make up an answer.

But even if I did know off hand, or felt like checking, I still wouldn't answer here, because I don't like your tone.
:p

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

;)

So for YOU .. it means what it says ..

But for anyone else .. you put you're own foot in you're own mouth to try to imply something that is clearly not said ?

Gotcha ..

:ok:
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Lenwen wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
I'm a pro, not your little monkey- I don't dance on command.
;)

So for YOU .. it means what it says ..

But for anyone else ..

I don't really know- nobody else has really said that they're not my little monkey.
If was making pointless demands on them as part of some kind of attempted pissing contest, I'd have to admit they had a good point, though.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Lenwen wrote: So for YOU .. it means what it says ..

But for anyone else ..

I don't really know-

Actually you do know ..

You're the one with the "Pissing" game going on ..

As evidenced here .. when I stated ..

You're response ..

Killer Cyborg wrote:The thing is, that's just shorthand for "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm going to jump in anyway...."

That is a total Flame bait ..

And a total instigation to a "Pissing contest" ..

I guess you must surround you're self with people who actually believe what you say .. And never get called out on some stuff like this ..

Otherwise .. you would know what you were doing instead of feigning innocently .. like you do not have a clue .. as per you're own claim ..

Killer Cyborg wrote:I don't really know

Ok .. thats kewl tho ..

What ever floats you're boat ..

Putting words into something some one elses post ..

Then saying its not what you were trying to do when you are called out on it ?

Sure .. :lol:
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Lenwen wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Lenwen wrote: So for YOU .. it means what it says ..

But for anyone else ..

I don't really know-

Actually you do know ..

You're the one with the "Pissing" game going on ..

As evidenced here .. when I stated ..

You're response ..

Killer Cyborg wrote:The thing is, that's just shorthand for "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm going to jump in anyway...."

That is a total Flame bait ..

No, it's the simple truth.
You didn't look at the books.
You didn't read the thread- you were just randomly guessing, and you were wrong.
Admit it, move on with your life, and try to do better next time.

Everybody screws up now and then, the key is to learn from it... not to deny the screw-up and get mad at people who call you on it.

I said all I had to say there- you're the one keeping this side-track going.
But from now on, you'll be doing it alone; I'm done with this. ;)

(The rest of your post seems to be pretty incomprehensible, so I'm not going to try to decipher it)

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Topic Locked because a certain pair of posters don't know how to stay on topic without insulting each other.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”