The Changeling

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AaronCE
D-Bee

The Changeling

Unread post by AaronCE »

SIAP.

Okay, so a Changeling has always been one of my favorite characters. Give me a healthy dose of paranoia, some psionics, and an aversion to salt any day. But the shape change has always seemed a bit incomplete/not fleshed out. From 3-10' tall, no additional limbs (save for a tail), nothing "un-natural." Okay, cool, we have the framework. But... Is this supernatural? Is there magic shapechange going on? Doesn't seem like it. Seems like a Changeling has a biological shapechange effect going on. So we'll go with mundane (non-supernatural/magic based) shapechange.

In one of the Rifter's (I forget the number, and yes, I know it's not Canon) there is a Changeling Metamorph character class. Loved this idea. Great fun. So building upon that.. I'm wondering, cross the Heroes Unlimited/Powers Unlimited 2 eugenics character with a Changeling metamorph. The Chimera effects might be out of the range of ability for a "humanoid" changeling, but the others definitely could/should be in the scope of things.

This brings up interesting possibilities. The intrinsic strength/prowess/speed are not changed by size/form differences. (at least in the quickie inital rules) But, if you morph to a frame/physiology with a much more developed musculature, or skeletal system, or bone plated dermis... It seems that there would be bonuses. From an AR to a SDC bonus to even a PS or PE bonus. Obviously temporary for that current form.

Also, if you go into the mental aspects. Adding IQ and ME and concentration. From the eugenics powers, to the defined talent aspects, to even the genetic medicine given in Aliens Unlimited (Galaxy Guide I believe).

The shapechange/metamorphosis is an awesome power. From changing races to sexes to impersonation. Such a significant advantage. But, you look at all the genetic tweaks, that can make a changeling character even more significant.

What do you all think?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: The Changeling

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Having a few years to think on it, I would probably allow a changeling to increase his PS by increasing his size, especially if he made both a Biology skill check and a Metamorphosis skill check.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”