Chaos War Ruins

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Chaos War Ruins

Unread post by MrMom »

How come we dont see more ruins from the Time of Chaos? Surely there would have been some magics which didnt destroy but kept things frozen in time.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Chaos War Ruins

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My speculation:

1) Decay. Not everything was preserved by magic, so a lot just fell down. Even things that WERE preserved by magic might have had those magics fail or been more actively destroyed.

2) Plunder. Things from the Age of Chaos would be valuable, both to scholars and to adventurers. A large number of sites may have simply been looted to death.

3) Millennium of Purification. Most things that would be surviving from the Chaos Wars would be associated, rightly or wrongly, with the Old Ones. That's not going to be something they keep around.

If you're going to find much about the Chaos wars, aside from the Land of the Damned, you're probably going to have to look at the Yin-Sloth, maybe some off-shore islands and the Northern Wilderness. Keep in mind we're talking about a hundred thousand years... in only a few thousand, there's not going to be any standing stone structures.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

100,000+ years is an incredibly long time. I wouldn't say there would no standing structures, but your only going to find a very few, such as large pyramids that might not have weathered completely away. There are a few ruins from the age of chaos left, Yin Sloth makes mention of the pyramid of Kirgi (adventure) which I believe is from then. Probably a few others, but you aren't likely to recognize something as coming from then or else it might be completely buried. Heck look at modern cities, they are built over the ruins of ancient ones. After 100,000 years there are probably at least a few cities that are buried dozens or hundreds of feet under newer cities. A lot of other stuff has weathered away, been destroyed or reused. Look at the collaseum, a lot of the damage done to it was people using stone from the building to build their own homes, churchs, etc of the centuries.
-Matt
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Most of the remaining ruins from the time of chaos would be in the "The Land of the Damned"
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

After that long, a lot the magics protecting those things would have simply ended. Most, not all granted, but most magic has a time limit.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”