Dealing with Death of Character

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GMDijarian
Explorer

Dealing with Death of Character

Unread post by GMDijarian »

So if anyone has read some of my other posts, you know one of my players' characters recently died (an earth warlock)

He is very interested in continuing play and is interested in a Paladin of Rurga ( a class I know he would kick major butt at playing).

The major question is, how do you guys handle this?

I told him he could take his earth warlock exp and apply it to the Paladin (actually it would be a lower 3rd level, as where his warlock was just about 4th). I believe the player earned these exp points and that it would be stealing from him, to make him start back over at 1st level. How do you all feel about this?
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Re: Dealing with Death of Character

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Players don't earn XP, characters do. This is why anything done out of character is generally worth 0 XP. The character is the driving force, and indeed, the only force that matters.

A player's experience shows through in competent play, good decision making, clever planning, and a growing ability to recognize aspects of the game as they develop around him. It shouldn't manifest itself as a better character being given from the start. Characters are the ones leaping out windows, slaying demons, jumping in front of fireballs, and generally endangering themselves. That's what XP represents. What a player gains can't be quantified like that, and it takes away the challenge to give them a higher power starting character just because they got their last one killed. That would set the precedent that any time they get bored and want to change classes, all they have to do is get killed, and come back as an equally powerful version of another class. The new, more experienced player should be able to re-level their inexperienced character with relative ease, as the player has now learned things that can be applied, without short-cutting character development.

This isn't to say I object to allowing a character to start higher level based upon re/joining an ongoing game, but that decision should be based on what is needed in the game context, rather than the XP of the dead character.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Given the varying XP charts of PF, I think giving his new character an equal amount of XP to his old character is a good idea. While the theory is that the characters, not the players, earn the XP, it's a good rule of thumb of how much XP a starting character should have, and makes those posthumous "Died while doing something exceptionally heroic" awards useful.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

I agree on what Mark is saying. I tend to keep my player groups fairly balanced and the campaigns they are in at an appropriate playing level.

So if I have a bunch of 5th levels players and one dies I am not about to bring him in at 1st level. I've done the 'transfer XP over' before. My rule is that the XP transfers (possibly with a bonus for a really heroic act that the dying character performed if there was any) only to determine the level of the new character. HOWEVER, this cannot put them at a higher level then before. Also the character starts at the entry XP of that level.

So if the character was 4th almost 5th level before and the new character class would be 5th level, they get bumped down to 4th level (say 16,000XP). If the character choose the same class for some reason, instead of maybe say 24,900xp and almost 5th level, they are at the start of 4th level.

I've relented and let players go straight to keeping all the XP like in your example of a paladin of Rurga since it would make the PC a level lower then their old character.

I don't want to reward my PCs by them dying, but at the same time I don't want to seriously handicap them. I have had players request to roll up 1st level characters after the one they were playing died because they came up with a fun story on how this wet behind the ears character joins the group.
-Matt
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

The first several levels are attained fairly quick. So there's no real reason not to start a new PC fresh unless the gap is really wide then starting at a higher level could be good for the game.
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

Start em off at first level.
DarkwingDuk
Wanderer

Unread post by DarkwingDuk »

In my group, death results in the loss of two levels XP, so if a 5th level ranger dies, the XP of a 3rd level ranger can be applied to the new OCC/RCC. It keeps the new character in line with the group, but nobody willingly throws away that much XP
“Illinois Nazis, I hate Illinois Nazis”
“Ummm boB isn’t that a Coalition squad?"
“Like I said, Illinois Nazi’s…….”
boB the Crazy
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:This isn't D&D where a player is dog meat if he is to many levels bihind the group. Make him start at fist level.

Depends on the character and the campaign. While a man at arms with good scores isn't too bad compared to a higher-level peer (especially if the higher-level individual doesn't have as good of scores), a low-level wizard is at a severe disadvantage.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

wow i usually have the players ready with a new character as back up at all times, though a nice rule of thumb would be to transfer exp if possible. A group of vets aren't like to take a slowdown like a noob character in the group without there being some kind of desire for the Character or ablilities. (even though the players havn't come across it too often)
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
GMDijarian
Explorer

So that's a big unequal set of opinions. The group right now consists of a 4th Level Scholar, 4th Level Merc, 4th Level Wizard, Previously 3rd level Warlock, and 1st Paladin.

The Warlock died saving a small child from a band of werewolves who were kidnapping him to hand him over to an evil witch. He gave his life to save the boy, and help the rest of the characters.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I would always have the new character start at level one.

In fantasy RPG's the game doesnt have to end for the charatcer just cos he's dead. (well not quite).

If his body is still around could he be resurrected? When my Players did Island at the edge of the world their priest was killed by a witch. They imediately sort to resurrect him and asked Sir Archie who in turn requested that they come with him to investigate some old runs in the valey of death.

If it is likely that they can defeat this witch and maybe resurrec him have him play some squire, peasant or hired merc so he can join in but is really waiting to get back into the game. Also Warlocks are the best to resurrect in 2nd ed (IMO) so maybe there is a warlock guild that would help...?
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
DiceCollector
Wanderer

Unread post by DiceCollector »

GMDijarian wrote:So that's a big unequal set of opinions. The group right now consists of a 4th Level Scholar, 4th Level Merc, 4th Level Wizard, Previously 3rd level Warlock, and 1st Paladin.

The Warlock died saving a small child from a band of werewolves who were kidnapping him to hand him over to an evil witch. He gave his life to save the boy, and help the rest of the characters.

I would let them start at second level. That is mid-way in the group, and the player did sacrifice his self for the good of the child and group. I give the player MAJOR BUMPS/HIGH FIVES!!! Way to GO!!
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was NO match fo me at kick boxing" -Emo Philips
DiceCollector
Wanderer

Unread post by DiceCollector »

Hey all....My group and I was playing last night (Nightbane) and I did not make it thru the FIRST FIGHT!! Grab the books and start rolling.....Better luck NEXT TIME...The GAME GOES ON!
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was NO match fo me at kick boxing" -Emo Philips
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Rather than giving his new character experience, you might want to consider opening up his OCC and species selection to include more high-power species or classes that bring a lot of capabilities to the group (A paladin is a pretty good selection, actually). You still start the new character at level 1, but he's strong for his experience level, and his progression will be slower, much like his more-experienced groupmates. If the OCC or species isn't enough, you could allow the new character to start with some higher-powered equipment, such as magic or dwarf/kobald-made weapons and armor.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
GMDijarian
Explorer

Hotrod wrote:Rather than giving his new character experience, you might want to consider opening up his OCC and species selection to include more high-power species or classes that bring a lot of capabilities to the group (A paladin is a pretty good selection, actually). You still start the new character at level 1, but he's strong for his experience level, and his progression will be slower, much like his more-experienced groupmates. If the OCC or species isn't enough, you could allow the new character to start with some higher-powered equipment, such as magic or dwarf/kobald-made weapons and armor.

Nice idea. Didnt think about that. Thanks HR!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

No problem!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”