Nitty gritty of Palladium Languages

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cinos
Hero

Nitty gritty of Palladium Languages

Unread post by Cinos »

So in my own interest, I'm trying to develop more accurate and true to form languages for Palladium, but since I know so little about languages (how they come into being, spread and alter over time), I'm checking around to see if anyone can point me in the right direction, as well as any Rifter articles, or important cannon material that might give me some guiding hands in the matter, looking at things like regional dialects how other race languages would interact with them (picking up words from Orc slaves in Timiro in derogatory sense, areas where elves have greater influance on humanity could affect some words from elven seeping into common speech among the more learned, and similar). Things like real names of the language would be nice too (while this basically boils down to the Palladium World vs Pallaida debate all over again, let that rest in piece, but it seems off for the Empire of Sin to refer to itself as the "Western Empire" and the Eastern Territorys as such (Granted the east is likely to identify themselves by territory / kingdom more then the whole)).

On a similar tangent, what do other races refer to themselves as? I.E Humans are Human-kind (Straight forward and spread to other races), Humanity (what? Elveanity?), for that matter, do Orcs even think of themselves as Orcs or some other word of their own making (their language after all is named by humans as Gobbly as far as I'm aware).

So, what's the Palladium Fantasy forum dwellers thoughts on this?
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
GMDijarian
Explorer

Re: Nitty gritty of Palladium Languages

Unread post by GMDijarian »

I found this a couple months ago, and found it interesting. Maybe it will help.

http://www.the-dungeon.de/rpg/frpg/f_ms ... guages.htm
Cinos
Hero

Re: Nitty gritty of Palladium Languages

Unread post by Cinos »

That was very much along the lines of what I'm looking for and some good ideas and thoughts in it to assimilate, thanks for the link GMDijarian.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”