Repairing MDC

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grafsburg
D-Bee

Repairing MDC

Unread post by Grafsburg »

This is probably a bit of a dumb question, but I still need to ask.

So I'm running a one-shot adventure where the party is a Coalition patrol that has ended up in Dinosaur Swamp, specifically Florida. The thing is, they're going to be effectively on their own for the duration of the adventure, with little to no support from the Coalition itself. So I'm wondering if there is any mention of how to handle repairing MDC equipment (armor, vehicles, etc.) in any of the books.

Like, I know what skills to use, but how do I determine how much MDC they manage to repair, and so on?
"I think any culture that relies on transit through large stretches of wilderness would grow to hate deer."
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Repairing MDC

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Field armorer for minor repairs. General repair and maintenance is also a good one.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

I'm not sure off hand but its in the thousands of credits. I'd say 1k per MDC give or take depending on supply and demand.
Grafsburg
D-Bee

Right, right. I know what skills to use, and how much repairs would cost. What I'm asking is how much MDC would be repaired if it's the player specifically doing the repairs, not them hiring someone to do it. Unless Blood Samel is referring to how much it would cost in raw materials to repair stuff.

My best guess would be that it would, say, repair 10 MDC and then an additional 10 for every 10 the player passed their skill check with, but that's just how I'd house rule it, not what I actually know.
"I think any culture that relies on transit through large stretches of wilderness would grow to hate deer."
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Grafsburg wrote:Right, right. I know what skills to use, and how much repairs would cost. What I'm asking is how much MDC would be repaired if it's the player specifically doing the repairs, not them hiring someone to do it. Unless Blood Samel is referring to how much it would cost in raw materials to repair stuff.

My best guess would be that it would, say, repair 10 MDC and then an additional 10 for every 10 the player passed their skill check with, but that's just how I'd house rule it, not what I actually know.

Each of those skills lists how much MDC can be repaired. If you go to a proper facility (which it sounds like the PCs won't have access to) then they can be fully repaired.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

You may want to have the Engineers have a repair pool, say 1k per 1 MDC worth of gear that is required to put stuff back together. I'd also say that if something has lost 50% of its MDC, it isn't getting repaired without a proper facility.

Also, there is the issue of time. How long does it take to repair lost MDC?

Of course, you can also take into account how the MDC was lost. Did a dino just smash it up? Or was the armor ablated by energy weaponry? This would add some "realism" to the repair process, but the book keeeping would be horrendous.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Grafsburg wrote:Right, right. I know what skills to use, and how much repairs would cost. What I'm asking is how much MDC would be repaired if it's the player specifically doing the repairs, not them hiring someone to do it. Unless Blood Samel is referring to how much it would cost in raw materials to repair stuff.

Each of those skills lists how much MDC can be repaired. If you go to a proper facility (which it sounds like the PCs won't have access to) then they can be fully repaired.

Yup.
It's not something that you can do again until the armor loses the last repairs you did on it, either.
And I don't think that both of those would stack either: the 1d6 from General Maintenance & Repair shouldn't be added on top of the 20 that the Field Armorer should be able to repair.
And you'd have to have MDC materials to work with, and some special equipment (laser or plasma torch at the least, maybe some special plastics or ceramics and the tools to work with them, maybe some special forms, etc. etc.).

Really, I tend to think that 20 MDC is overly generous, even with all that.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Grafsburg
D-Bee

Killer Cyborg wrote:Yup.
It's not something that you can do again until the armor loses the last repairs you did on it, either.
And I don't think that both of those would stack either: the 1d6 from General Maintenance & Repair shouldn't be added on top of the 20 that the Field Armorer should be able to repair.
And you'd have to have MDC materials to work with, and some special equipment (laser or plasma torch at the least, maybe some special plastics or ceramics and the tools to work with them, maybe some special forms, etc. etc.).

Really, I tend to think that 20 MDC is overly generous, even with all that.

Point taken :lol: . I guess my general advice for the party will be 'don't get hit', won't it? Then again, I might just have to throw a hub town down somewhere in Florida, maybe. A dinky little place that's friendly enough even to CS troops that just so happens to have a mechanic shop that can repair their equipment.

Or I could make them part of a larger group, maybe a company or something, with its own motor pool. I'll have to think on it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Grafsburg wrote: I guess my general advice for the party will be 'don't get hit', won't it?

That's pretty much the best advice you can give. :ok:

Then again, I might just have to throw a hub town down somewhere in Florida, maybe. A dinky little place that's friendly enough even to CS troops that just so happens to have a mechanic shop that can repair their equipment.

Or I could make them part of a larger group, maybe a company or something, with its own motor pool. I'll have to think on it.

If they're going to be out on their own, and they have the right equipment and skills, they could make new or additional armor from MDC hides as necessary. If nothing else, they could probably make some kind of bulky (penalties) ponchos from dino hide to wear over their normal armor.
And/or find out what the locals do to survive and do that.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Grafsburg
D-Bee

Killer Cyborg wrote:If they're going to be out on their own, and they have the right equipment and skills, they could make new or additional armor from MDC hides as necessary. If nothing else, they could probably make some kind of bulky (penalties) ponchos from dino hide to wear over their normal armor.
And/or find out what the locals do to survive and do that.

This is just about the best idea ever. Thanks!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

If you are asking about how long it takes to Repair a given amount of MDC. I don't think I've seen a figure like that in Rifts. I know under the 1E RT licence it was listed at 5MDC per hour.

Return to “Rifts®”