The Small Kingdom Generator!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

Re: The Small Kingdom Generator!

Unread post by Mechanurgist »

That's pretty cool. Do you have it in a Word document or some other formatted text? Walls of text like that are kind of hard to read on forums.
New After the Bomb Adventure: Rendezvous in N'Yak
Old After the Bomb Adventure: Northern Lights
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

I read a little, good job. Please edit the wall of text. Its hard to read without proper spacing.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Agreed...looks very promising, but needs more space between sections to give the eyes a rest.
There's style and substance; if you can have both Style AND Substance, it's ALL good.... 8)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Thank you...consider it "borrowed" :D

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

I found this issue with the merc group creation rules as well - all it is is spending points in order to have a bunch of descriptive words. Words aren't good enough for play. If they were, nobody would have rules or roll dice, somehow the words would just be enough. But they aren't.

I think it's fairly absurd to say 'Hey, I'm not just saying they have X, Y & Z...I spent points on it! That's completely different!', as if having some points and spending them somehow osmotically makes the description good enough for play.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Taking your argument as some sort of empirical truth would lead one to state that All roll play material, every sourcebook, every idea and concept ever written is in fact worthless simply because it was written down.

Why does something being a horrible situation somehow count as evidence against it being the situation?

In terms of writing fan fiction, I think there's alot of use in all that stuff.
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

Unread post by Mechanurgist »

Noon wrote:
Taking your argument as some sort of empirical truth would lead one to state that All roll play material, every sourcebook, every idea and concept ever written is in fact worthless simply because it was written down.

Why does something being a horrible situation somehow count as evidence against it being the situation?

In terms of writing fan fiction, I think there's alot of use in all that stuff.

Why do people who have no answer to a question phrase their rebuttal as a generic question that is unanswerable?

The text is the beginning point for creating a structured system for creating kingdoms. Sure, it can be expanded with more technical rules if desired and most GMs would probably do so automatically, but what is presented here is still a good beginning.
New After the Bomb Adventure: Rendezvous in N'Yak
Old After the Bomb Adventure: Northern Lights
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Deleted by order of the King Harrold.
Last edited by abtex on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Deleted by order of the King Harrold.
Last edited by abtex on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

King Harrold wrote:A friend of mine wanted to play a king of a small kingdom somewhere out in the Midwest. That sounded like a great idea to me, trying to defend his hapless peasants from monsters who stuck them into buns and slathered them with mustard, CS urban renewal squads building mass graves all over the place and so on. The only problem i had with the plan was there was no rules on how exactly to go about making a small kingdom or what it should have.

The city creation rules are in the Rifts Adventure Guide. Since many kingdoms are just individual city-states, they should work fine.

(I didn't read your stuff, so not saying what you came up with is bad or wouldn't work.)
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

The posts have been deleted.
BY A TOTAL IDIOT.
Sorry.

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe people can show ther ideas for small kingdoms,but not as big as Kingsdale.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

King Harrold wrote:
abtex wrote:
King Harrold wrote:Part 2
[.

May be a little better to read now. :(

I already went through and edited it once. If you don't like it you don't have to go and act like it was totally illegible and re-edit it just so you could make me look like a complete idiot. thanks a lot...

so... what you're saying is...

"please don't improve my writing quality, it hurts my pride."

hey, you should go work in palladium's editing department (if it even has one).
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Shark_Force wrote:hey, you should go work in palladium's editing department (if it even has one).
Ouch!

They do have editing. If you think any Palladium product is "bad" for editing, you should realize that the issue of editing quality in the RPG industry has been persistent for decades.

The first printing of the first edition of Shadowrun was, to put it bluntly, a total editing disaster. In addition to typographical errors, scattered rules, and incorrect page references, it had little lovelies such as omitting the rule stating you could not take Essence below zero. You could take cyberwear until Essence reached into negative values as long as you could keep purchasing cyberwear. The magic rules were laid out in a way that made them difficult to understand. A starting mage could purchase a power focus so large (I took a Rating 12 power focus) as to absolutely break all game play.

The second edition of Fading Suns has character creation in chapter three. It is divided into two parts, a template-creation system for quick character generation, and a more detailed custom-creation system where the player had to make every decision. You cannot follow the rules in the template-creation system and obtain a finished character. If you use it, there would literally be unfinished characteristics left sitting there on the character sheet. Certain aspects, like base/starting characteristics, and the paired/oppositional spirit characteristics, were not explained. You had to read through the custom-creation system, which appeared in the second half of the chapter, to be able to use the the template-creation system that appeared in the first half of the chapter. The rules in the template-creation section fail to mention that you need to jump to the end of the chapter and read the custom-creation section first.

Palladium's editing is better than some, and perhaps worse than others, but is never anywhere near the bottom of the industry. This issue has never been severe enough to keep me from purchasing any of their products.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:hey, you should go work in palladium's editing department (if it even has one).
Ouch!

They do have editing. If you think any Palladium product is "bad" for editing, you should realize that the issue of editing quality in the RPG industry has been persistent for decades.

[snip]

Palladium's editing is better than some, and perhaps worse than others, but is never anywhere near the bottom of the industry. This issue has never been severe enough to keep me from purchasing any of their products.

eh, 20+ years ago there might have been an excuse for lousy editing. these days, for a second or third or fourth printing of a book, it's quite likely that you will have had a number of fans do the editing for you, especially for a company with as many fans as palladium.

the fact that there are worse examples out there is no excuse to be bad at it yourself. palladium's editing is just bad. it may not be the absolute worst in the industry, but it should be better. entire *sentences* are left in place.

sure, i still buy their products. but i buy their products in *spite* of their faults, not because i think they are without them. you will almost never see a book published with no errors, but there are plenty of companies (including some very small ones) that routinely produce better-edited material than palladium. and those companies (including the small ones) tend to frequently update errata, correct spelling in later printings, etc.

if you care about having stuff proofread, it is very easy to get it done, especially for a company with as strong a fan base as palladium. they could probably get people to do it for nothing more than getting into the credit portion of the first few pages in the book, if they cared to.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Shark_Force wrote:the fact that there are worse examples out there is no excuse to be bad at it yourself. palladium's editing is just bad. it may not be the absolute worst in the industry, but it should be better. entire *sentences* are left in place.
I wasn't offering excuses, but rather comparative analysis.
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Stop now please.
I deleted the mess of his work, that I made. The problem is gone.

RainOfSteel
Champion

abtex wrote:Stop now please.
I deleted the mess of his work, that I made. The problem is gone.
Did you think I was talking about you? If so, I never saw your posts.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

RainOfSteel wrote:If so, I never saw your posts.

Check you message box. If anyone else wants to sent them PM me.
They WILL NOT be reposted in this topic.
If you ask for them do not REPOST them, thank you.

RainOfSteel
Champion

abtex wrote:Check you message box. If anyone else wants to sent them PM me.
They WILL NOT be reposted in this topic.
If you ask for them do not REPOST them, thank you.
I checked my PM box and found two messages from you, both of which had been recalled, and so I never saw them, either.

I was not asking to see your posts. I was not discussing/criticizing your posts or you. I was talking about something completely different.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Leaving topic.

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

WOW I am really impress with any more ideas man!!!???or updates ??
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Very nice. I plan on trying them out.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

I am so waiting if you add more stuff or send this to rifter simple and love it
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

This was his only topic. Has not been back to the forum. So what is here is all there is. Sorry.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Rhomphaia wrote:Looks nice. If I may make a suggestion though...

Look at the D&D 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide (we're gamers, if we don't own one, we know someone willing to lend their copy). There is a section in there that deals with the different kinds of governments, power centers, community sizes, militia and whatnot. It is a really good guide for making such settlements for gaming.

I know more gamers willing to burn one than loan or own one.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by llywelyn »

Noon wrote:I think it's fairly absurd to say 'Hey, I'm not just saying they have X, Y & Z...I spent points on it! That's completely different!', as if having some points and spending them somehow osmotically makes the description good enough for play.
Other than running it by the GM for balance, I don't get your hate of point-buy at all.

Admittedly, the version above breaks continuity in any number of places (i.e., Millennium Trees, while useful, show up all over the place, while tattoo magic is jealously guarded by the Splugs).

Still, the idea is not just good, but useful and needed. (We have gens for travelling circuses wandering the vampire lands and not this? It's nuts.)
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

llywelyn wrote:
Noon wrote:I think it's fairly absurd to say 'Hey, I'm not just saying they have X, Y & Z...I spent points on it! That's completely different!', as if having some points and spending them somehow osmotically makes the description good enough for play.
Other than running it by the GM for balance, I don't get your hate of point-buy at all.

Admittedly, the version above breaks continuity in any number of places (i.e., Millennium Trees, while useful, show up all over the place, while tattoo magic is jealously guarded by the Splugs).

Still, the idea is not just good, but useful and needed. (We have gens for travelling circuses wandering the vampire lands and not this? It's nuts.)

Agreed!
:)
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by llywelyn »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:The city creation rules are in the Rifts Adventure Guide. Since many kingdoms are just individual city-states, they should work fine.
I don't have that, but just saw that Australia has some guidelines on p. 40 for doing small independent towns.

Return to “Rifts®”