Spell combinations...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dr. Avery
D-Bee

Re: Spell combinations...

Unread post by Dr. Avery »

I allow things like this on a case by case basis. I always reward my players for being innovative and creative. If nothing else, I may allow them to spontaneously create a new spell by combining spell functions. Players are imo rewarded and happy when they feel they have contributed to the overall big picture. Like being able to brag that their character created that spell when someone else learns it.
Never take a Paladin to do an Assasins job.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Cloud of Smoke + Stench of Hades = Sulfur Cloud. Burning tear-gas like cloud that's ready to explode.

Energy Field + AoE Damage Spell = Focused Detonation. Same spell as before, but damage focused in on a single target (Explosion Neutralizer works on a concept level too).

Wind Rush + Shards of Ice = hyper accelerated ice shards with enough force to both penetrate armor, but throw targets back.

Chasm + River of Lava = Need I explain?

Disharmonize + Firequake = Armageddon, disorganized soldiers fleeing and unable to take orders while they burn.

Just a few off the top of my head.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Dr. Avery
D-Bee

Unread post by Dr. Avery »

Area of Effect
Never take a Paladin to do an Assasins job.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

relicandcheese wrote:BTW, what is the AoE Damage Damage spell?

Sorry I tend to shorten a lot of game terms, as Dr. Avery pointed out Area of Effect is what it stands for, since it is the most commonly used short hand for terms, well past DoT for this game. But that's a discussion (or explanation) for another thread or PMs :P

And most of them are Elemental spells since they are just rife with potential for this line of thought. Firequake and Disharmonize are both from Federation of Magic and later (so Book of Magic perhaps RUE have them as well). When my brains not working at 3 AM after game night, I'll try to actually look at my books and figure some thing out a bit more, since I am prone to mistaking spells I've made with spells in the books if I don't cross-reference.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

relicandcheese wrote:
Rhomphaia wrote:It should be noted that Carpet of Adhesion is pretty much the go-to spell in combination with any AoE spell in the Palladium System. Keeping people in place and unable to escape while you hurt them is a giant duh.

You know, first you said this... then you said...
Rhomphaia wrote:
Carpet of Adhesion
Ignite Fire
wait a few hours
Create Bread and Milk

Presto, boar dinner for (number dependent on caster level)!

I agree CoA is a major hold'm and hurt'm spell that isn't too high in level, but you you shouldn't beat yourself up! :-( Hey if it works, go with it! :-D

Also, if Cloud of Smoke is thrown in the mix, we could have smoked pork! If we got priest with us, and we're not hungery yet, leave it's feet intact and bring on Animate/Control Dead, and our dinner can follow us until we're ready for it. Smoked pork to go!!! :lol:

Reminds me of a friend of mine a while back that played a Priest. Ordered a lobster dinner, used A/C Dead on it and accused them of not cooking his dinner to get his money back!
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”