Cosmo-Knight vs. Demon Knight

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

CK vs DK

Cosmo-Knight
90%
Demon Knight
10%

Total votes: 21

Ed-Zero
D-Bee
Comment: >>Hear noise in closet
>>Open door
>>Dead boy pops out
>>Nope.rar.exe!

Cosmo-Knight vs. Demon Knight

Unread post by Ed-Zero »

As the title says, a Cosmo-Knight (Phase World - Dimension Book 2) vs. a Demon Knight (Dimensional Outbreak - Dimension Book 12).

After comparing their abilities, the Demon Knight looks like it could give the CK a run for his money. With the ability to cast spells, he can make up for his lack of armor (max of 240 MDC with his demonic armor) compared to the CK's 500 and gains more flexibility due to his spell casting.

Sadly, he is not capable of FTL, but he can fly much faster than the CK in any atmosphere (outside of using FTL).

The DK's melee weapon does 1d4x10 (2d6x10 @ 10th) vs. 1d4x10 of the CK. The CK's Cosmic Blast does 1d6x10 vs the DK's 1d8x10 but the DK has half as much range compared to the CK (2,000 ft) which means the CK "could" stay out of the range of the DK. Also, every weapon at the DK's disposal is magic or comes from magic so as to bypass his resistances.

The DK regenerates much faster than the CK 4d6/round vs 1d4x10/min and I think that seems to make up for the lower MDC armor.

Looking forward to your thoughts on who would win in a 1v1...
I cheat to win and I win because I cheat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Cosmo-Knight vs. Demon Knight

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Cosmo Knights wins automatically in atmosphwere because the Demon Knights antimatter blast has nothing isolating it from atmosphere, and so it instantly blows up in his face without going anywhere.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

I don't see where the Demon Knight can fly in an atmosphere, my copy only gives stats for space flight only.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

And the Demon Knight's non existent Disintegrate Beam spell can really um...uh...do nothing!
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Can't say I looked at the DK's description while responding just now, nor am I familiar enough to make an informed decision but from what you just said, it sure sounds like a heavy advantage to the DK...
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Anthar wrote:I don't see where the Demon Knight can fly in an atmosphere, my copy only gives stats for space flight only.

There are many different flying spells.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I just looked into the DK and in a fair fight ie. No ambush, the DK doesn't have a hope. The CK has the range and speed advantage and that is plenty enough to win any battle - kiting is so cheap...
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

Which brings up a question about Cosmo-knights that's been bugging me ever since I read about the Demon Knight.

How fast can cosmo-knights fly in space when NOT using FTL? Is it the same as their in-atmosphere speed? Or is it faster?
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Top speed in a vacuum doesn't make sense. Palladium has gotten this wrong since the first robotech books.

--flatline
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

It says

"Demon Knights do possess enough flight power to escape the bonds of a planet's atmosphere when necessary."

So at least Mach 5.5 for an earth type planet and atmosphere. Could just half the Mach speed for atmosphere's that would be a logical solutions. Or its they magically go fast enough to get to space.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

GT wrote:It says

"Demon Knights do possess enough flight power to escape the bonds of a planet's atmosphere when necessary."

So at least Mach 5.5 for an earth type planet and atmosphere. Could just half the Mach speed for atmosphere's that would be a logical solutions. Or its they magically go fast enough to get to space.

No. You're thinking of ballistic escape velocity.

Any thrust greater than the acceleration due to gravity will eventually escape gravitational well.

--flatline
SAMASzero
Explorer

Unread post by SAMASzero »

Giant2005 wrote:Can't say I looked at the DK's description while responding just now, nor am I familiar enough to make an informed decision but from what you just said, it sure sounds like a heavy advantage to the DK...
One would think so, given that Demon Knights were made specifically to battle Cosmo-Knights.
wonderdog
D-Bee

Unread post by wonderdog »

i know its not in the flavor of the topic but i personally think its applicable that a ck will likely have a few friends who could probably hold their own at least a little, while the demon knight friends, well, they were only waiting to take his place in the heirarchy of hell anyway.
can hypothetical that its a one on one fight but i highly doubt it would ever go down that way.

but as i said, thats not really in the flavor of op's idea.

some things i saw that were slightly less than accurate.

u give dk stats for stuff when its higher lvl but no mention of ck options and higher lvl stuff. for instance, a cosmo-knight can have his weapon do 1D6X10, and tbh, iv never gm'd a ck that didnt use this option to power up his cosmic weapon. and his cosmic blast improves at higher lvls but no mention of that although you made sure to mention that the dk's weapon is 2D6x10 at lvl 10. also, unless they changed it or i am misremembering, the cosmo-knight flies at mach 1 per lvl in an atmosphere. so at higher lvls that ck is going to go very very fast in an atmosphere.

one last thing, this so called great weakness of ck's that is magic so the dk has a huge advantage there...those ck's that iv gm'd have a huge bonus to save vs. magic due to high P.E. doesnt make them invulnerable to it no matter how high it is, but it sure as hell aint a weakness any more than it is to anyone that can roll a 1.

so, i didnt answer the poll because i think the whole comparison is hugely hosed to favor the dk, who imo has no chance against a ck that uses his op effectively
winning isnt a some of the time thing. its an all the time thing. we dont win...once in a while.
we dont do the right thing...once in a while.
we do the right thing...all of the time.
winning is a habit.
unfortunately, so is losing

Return to “Rifts®”