For GM's: How do you stat out enemies?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grafsburg
D-Bee

For GM's: How do you stat out enemies?

Unread post by Grafsburg »

Basically, how do you stat out dime-a-dozen mooks that your players take on in bulk. The CS Grunts or Bandits who are basically villainous cannon fodder and all that? With the time it takes to stat out one full character, I'm looking for a quick and easy method to make a bunch of bad guys in one go.
"I think any culture that relies on transit through large stretches of wilderness would grow to hate deer."
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Re: For GM's: How do you stat out enemies?

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

i normally make up a number of typical villians and npcs and switch roles when it's needed
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

I have a number of word documents which have all the basic combat stats for squads of mooks ready to go. When I run a game, I just print out a dozen or so to have on hand for encounters. Basically, the sheets include things like the MDC of their armor, their weapon's damage, their to strike, to dodge, and to parry bonuses, HTH per melee, ground speed, and any special abilities they might have. Only major NPCs get a whole character sheet.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

If you looking for just stats use npcs from the books just change the names
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

For cannon fodder, I just do the most basic stats (H.P., S.D.C., combat bonuses and just what will be used).

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Shawn Merrow wrote:For cannon fodder, I just do the most basic stats (H.P., S.D.C., combat bonuses and just what will be used).

Same here...
They are just mooks what more do they need?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Just the basics scribbled on a 3x5 card (HP, armor, weapons and bonuses with said weapons).
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Lately I've been using just quick stats that contain just the basics (pretty much the way Shawn does it). I did slightly more detailed stats back in high school and college, about one-side of a page each per monster/red-shirt, and still have those notebooks filled with roll ups of a variety of monsters and one-shot villains. That's useful to have but not essential or even necessary.

My current looks something like this.

(Name) Level: Race: O.C.C.:
HP: SDC: ARMOR:
Attacks: Autos: Bonuses:
(Space for more bonuses)
Weapons/Damage:

Things like P.P.E., I.S.P., spells, etc. I add on to the stat block as needed. I add "autos" in as I like it to be there. It's really not necessary at all as most things will have auto-parry but not-auto-dodge (or any others).

~ Josh
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote: I add "autos" in as I like it to be there. It's really not necessary at all as most things will have auto-parry but not-auto-dodge (or any others).

~ Josh

actually, you'd be surprised at how many demonic (melee-based) creatures don't have hand-to-hand skills at all (and therefore no auto-parry) technically. of course, that's probably an oversight caused by not fully considering the implications of demons etc not having human trained combat skills, so i totally wouldn't argue the point if you ignored that technicality in your games :P
Voodoolaw
Wanderer

Unread post by Voodoolaw »

If you don't want to worry about individual skills, the old GM screen mentioned above has a cool entry that gives generic bonuses for "athletic" characters and maybe a few others. For example, the athletic entry mentioned gives something like +1 to strike and +2 to parry and dodge, maybe a bonus to roll or pull punch. No assigning athletics, boxing, etc. Just make them "athletic" and give 'em those bonuses. My specifics might be slightly off, but that was the concept.

Just be prepared for the most poorly edited monstrosity you have ever seen if you can find a screen. I think palladium believes it better lost and forgotten. But it did have some useful info.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

PS (for carrying capacity and damage bonuses, if any), PP (only when it is definitely going to be at least 16 or higher starting off), PE (for base HP and bonuses to saves, if any), Spd (so I know how fast they can move per action), HP and SDC, Attacks per Melee, Hand to Hand damages, combat bonuses (dodge, parry, roll with impact, etc.), gear (including armor and weapons).

I choose attributes one of three ways. Give it a roll of 10. If the OCC has an attribute requirement higher than that, then I set it at that. Or I set it at whatever cybernetics are installed. If the OCC Skills (the skills that all of that OCC always learn) include some physical skills, then I adjust the appropriate stats. For the skills that call for rolling of dice (most of them being bonuses to SDC with Running being the exception), I just use average dice rolls.

I did that with the CS Grunt (I haven't done anything else just yet), Starting with Green Recruits (level 1 characters), all the way up to Elite/Major (level 10). It gave me quick combat stats for 5 different power levels of the same type of character to throw at my players. My file that has the stats written out in it doesn't actually include the gear and those stats because they can be found in the books.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

I typically stat out the basic combat info, and physcial stats. This gives me a pretty good indication of what they are capable of . I only do more stats when it is an major villan or NPC. Then I create the character fully, including skills and such.
Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

That is the call of the deep doo-doo bird. I must fly!
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

I count up from zero. I'm not meticulous until I dole out loot. Most people aren't going to waste an action in combat using "Recognize Weapon Quality."
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

Generally I work up a relatively complete npc of whatever type I may need and use it as a template for any others. I have templates for various demons, random PF style bandits, NEMA NPCs, etc. Once I have a template to go off of I tend to make on the fly adjustments so there is some variety, a plus one or minus one here and there, a difference in number of attacks etc.
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

My 'Big Bads' are either characters from the books like Desmond Bradford or Thraxus, or characters that I create with the same TLC I show to my PCs. The cannon fodder are basic stats. I make quick characters for the in-between villains.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Grafsburg wrote:Basically, how do you stat out dime-a-dozen mooks that your players take on in bulk. The CS Grunts or Bandits who are basically villainous cannon fodder and all that? With the time it takes to stat out one full character, I'm looking for a quick and easy method to make a bunch of bad guys in one go.

On the last page of the original Rifts Main book you'll find a "typical" CS Grunt, SAMAS, and Headhunter. Of course, that info is a bit dated now, but it still serves as a quick reference.

(Kinda surprised that no one mentioned this already.)
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Grafsburg wrote:Basically, how do you stat out dime-a-dozen mooks that your players take on in bulk. The CS Grunts or Bandits who are basically villainous cannon fodder and all that? With the time it takes to stat out one full character, I'm looking for a quick and easy method to make a bunch of bad guys in one go.

stat out Mooks? :roll: :lol:
In the HUGMG they have some quick stats forms for different types of gangsters. This might give you a basis to make up your own 'quick stat forms'.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Mack wrote:

On the last page of the original Rifts Main book you'll find a "typical" CS Grunt, SAMAS, and Headhunter. Of course, that info is a bit dated now, but it still serves as a quick reference.

(Kinda surprised that no one mentioned this already.)

It was the last page of the RMB, of which I only have a digital copy. Granted I have that entire GM section printed out and in a special folder, I haven't ran a Rifts game in over a year, so haven't needed to look at that in ages, which is why I forgot about it.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Attributes rolls are assumed to be average so I dont even roll em. Combat data includes, Attack, Strike, parry, dodge, auto dodge, init, MDC, and primary weapon with number of shots. If a skill is in question, I only consider it if it is in the OCC Skills list, otherwise I assume the character doesnt have it. That list will also determine the combat bonuses as well to include the H2H type (for example, if the OCC gets boxing, i will incorporate it, if not, I dont consider the character having the boxing skill). RPA pilots will be assumed to be in their power armors/robots.

Finally, for spell slingers and psychics, I will pick an offensive, defensive, and "other" spell/ability that the character would have access to and a number next to it which is the number of times the character will be able to cast that spell. That way I dont dork around with ISP or PPE for hundreds of NPCs. For example, a third level LLW has about 130 PPE and its likely he would know firebolt, armor of ithan, and lets say magic net. So I would list "Firebolt (18); Armor of Ithan (13), Magic Net (18)"

The important thing is, you make these NPCs en mass. If you make them individually, you will spend a lot of time. Its easier to make 10 level 3 LLWs and adjust their various spells than it is to make a LLW for this adventure and stop there. If you dont use them this adventure, save the next 9 for the next adventure.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles

Return to “Rifts®”