Question...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Question...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Hello All,

Once again what are some of the documents, papers, charters, receipts, etc you may carry around?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Re: Question...

Unread post by Severus Snape »

As a player, a PC, an NPC, or the GM?
pblackcrow
Champion

Yes...ALL OF THE ABOVE.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Tax receipts, personal ID, guild ID, horse receipt, travel documents, charters, commissions, letters of references, etc?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Uh, any... :?
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eryk Stormbright »

that's actually a pretty good question, one i really hadn't given much thought of untill now. I would think that all of the. PCs ~Importent~ paperwork would be kept someplace very safe, i don't really see them halling the deed to their manor house in their packs. *g*
I am master of all I see.... and I see Everything.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

In a illiterate society such things are not very practical for the masses
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
pblackcrow
Champion

Eryk Stormbright wrote:that's actually a pretty good question, one i really hadn't given much thought of untill now. I would think that all of the. PCs ~Importent~ paperwork would be kept someplace very safe, i don't really see them halling the deed to their manor house in their packs. *g*

The deed to lands and holdings wouldn't. But they would have at least a COPY OF the deed to say a ship on board the vessel.
Last edited by pblackcrow on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In a illiterate society such things are not very practical for the masses

Wrong! Perfect example of this happens in the dark ages, when people were required to carry papers by the lord of the manor to travel. Papers for nobles, knights, merchant, and travelers to identify themselves. And also papers of nobility. For horses to breed you had to keep a log in certain areas of the world (middle east, Mongolia, Russia, and in some parts of Europe), ESPECIALLY WARHORSES. The lord of the manor also had to keep track of the wares your farm produced for the taxes records. Letters of reference were also in great demand, and where the term "pink slip" comes from. As were guild letters, etc.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Little. Traveling papers if the nation needs them, and rarer yet, weapon permits if a city requires them.

Mass forms of ID largely don't appear to exist. I'd imagine (and play as) guilds and groups more just having a mark then a real ID, a ring, amulet, patch, or other simple symbol that can be easily seen by even the illiterate.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

pblackcrow wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In a illiterate society such things are not very practical for the masses

Wrong! Perfect example of this happens in the dark ages, when people were required to carry papers by the lord of the manor to travel. Papers for nobles, knights, merchant, and travelers to identify themselves. And also papers of nobility. For horses to breed you had to keep a log in certain areas of the world (middle east, Mongolia, Russia, and in some parts of Europe), ESPECIALLY WARHORSES. The lord of the manor also had to keep track of the wares your farm produced for the taxes records. Letters of reference were also in great demand, and where the term "pink slip" comes from. As were guild letters, etc.

I note you are mentioning the lords of the dark ages. If you look at My comment I was not talking about the nobility.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
pblackcrow
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
pblackcrow wrote:

I note you are mentioning the lords of the dark ages. If you look at My comment I was not talking about the nobility.

Nor was I. Note: People (be they knight, serf, lords son, or whatever) were required to carry papers written, stamped, or signed by the lord of their domain to be able to travel to say a large city out side of said lords domain. And these papers were to be presented either to the gatekeeper or sheriff or someone to that extent upon entering said city. Also, I.D.'s were also issued for travelers in the form of a short physical description and any distinguishing features, stating where they are from, their occupation, simple things like that. The reason for it was in case they were killed on the road, they could notify what ever lord they needed to and return the body.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

And people who are not under a lord would have no such need for those papers, except maybe the city entry ID.

"FRREEEEEDOOOOMMMMM!!!"*while wearing a kilt*
pblackcrow
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:And people who are not under a lord would have no such need for those papers, except maybe the city entry ID.

"FRREEEEEDOOOOMMMMM!!!"*while wearing a kilt*

True.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”