Transmogifier?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zaccheus
Explorer

Transmogifier?

Unread post by zaccheus »

I'm not sure if I even spelt it right but my sister in law wants to try roleplaying and she wants a wizard who is a transmogifier (I think that's what it's called and I'm sure it's not how it's spelled) which is a type of wizard from the Harry Potter series? (I've never read harry potter so I'm not really sure) who basically speciallizes in shape changing magic. The closest thing I've been able to think of is just a ley line walker with metamorphosis magic, but the metamorphosis spells are fairly expensive and I'm not even sure they fit what she is looking for. If anyone has any ideas of a rifts magic user that would fit the mold of a transmogifier better let me know.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: Transmogifier?

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

zaccheus wrote:I'm not sure if I even spelt it right but my sister in law wants to try roleplaying and she wants a wizard who is a transmogifier (I think that's what it's called and I'm sure it's not how it's spelled) which is a type of wizard from the Harry Potter series? (I've never read harry potter so I'm not really sure) who basically speciallizes in shape changing magic. The closest thing I've been able to think of is just a ley line walker with metamorphosis magic, but the metamorphosis spells are fairly expensive and I'm not even sure they fit what she is looking for. If anyone has any ideas of a rifts magic user that would fit the mold of a transmogifier better let me know.

Is she wanting to run an Ani-magus (The mag is able to shape shift into an animal form)?
or is she just wanting to specialize in Transfiguration (as they call it in the HP books)?
If an Ani-magus I would suggest you give the gypsy classes in Mystic Russia a gander.
As to a mage specializing in Metamorphic magic im at loss for a class like that at the moment.
Give me a couple of days to think on it and I will see what I can think of...

Heh... didnt even need a couple of days...
take a look at Bio Magic in the South America books that may be of some help for you as well.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Unread post by Khord - Lizard Mage »

Play a changeling LLW. Even better, play a dragon hatchling. That should give you all the metamorphosis you need. For added flavor, she could have some type of amnesia and not know she was really a dragon.
"It's not just a Race, it's an occupation." - Khord

"Fear the Evil Red D20" - R.I.P. Arne Karl Swenson
zaccheus
Explorer

Unread post by zaccheus »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:Play a changeling LLW. Even better, play a dragon hatchling. That should give you all the metamorphosis you need. For added flavor, she could have some type of amnesia and not know she was really a dragon.

Ya that is what I was planning initially (she's never played before so I"m pregenning the character) but I think, unless I totally misunderstood what these wizards can do in HP, is that she wants to be able to use shape changing spells on others, offensively. It just doesnt' seem too plausible in rifts so right now I'm just toying with making her a Ley line walker or level 1 Temporal wizard. My wife (her sister) opted to be a shifter and I'm trying to keep it from being something too similar, but for right now I plan on making her human.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

zaccheus wrote:
Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:Play a changeling LLW. Even better, play a dragon hatchling. That should give you all the metamorphosis you need. For added flavor, she could have some type of amnesia and not know she was really a dragon.

Ya that is what I was planning initially (she's never played before so I"m pregenning the character) but I think, unless I totally misunderstood what these wizards can do in HP, is that she wants to be able to use shape changing spells on others, offensively. It just doesnt' seem too plausible in rifts so right now I'm just toying with making her a Ley line walker or level 1 Temporal wizard. My wife (her sister) opted to be a shifter and I'm trying to keep it from being something too similar, but for right now I plan on making her human.

There is a spell that will change people into other things... Transformation.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

zaccheus wrote:I'm not sure if I even spelt it right but my sister in law wants to try roleplaying and she wants a wizard who is a transmogifier (I think that's what it's called and I'm sure it's not how it's spelled) which is a type of wizard from the Harry Potter series? (I've never read harry potter so I'm not really sure) who basically specializes in shape changing magic. The closest thing I've been able to think of is just a ley line walker with metamorphosis magic, but the metamorphosis spells are fairly expensive and I'm not even sure they fit what she is looking for. If anyone has any ideas of a rifts magic user that would fit the mold of a transmogifier better let me know.

Metamorphic magic would fit the bill nicely, but you are correct in saying most of the meta spells are high level and PPE expensive. Both of which would keep them out of reach of a low level char.

There are also no spells that effect stuff. They are all spells that change living beings.
Also there are no spells that have the effect of changing living beings into non-living stuff (that are not fan created.)

Mages that can change their shape into animals as a class power.....druids, ...... those are the only that I can think of off the top of my head.

If you want to go the race route for shape changer, a demigod (if they have it as one of their powers) change into an animal for a time.

If you want to take it another step towards HP, you can have the char need to have an object that they have to cast magic through. This is an optional magic proficiency, I don't off hand recall which Rifter it is in.

Kovoston wrote:There is a spell that will change people into other things... Transformation.

You left out where the spell is found. :thwak:

spelled
sister-in-law
pregen'ing
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
tuvermage
Wanderer

Unread post by tuvermage »

Truthfully I haven't seen much magic that would fit what she wants. I know Harry Potter well and understand what she wants. It would take some creative thinking because it would require a new type of wizard. you can look at the spell that turns someone into an insect as a base line, but it's an interesting idea. Based on the Harry Potter world the limits would not only be duration and save throw, but size and innate magically ability. So on top how having to know the spell to turn an object into a pin cushion the wizard would have to have a high enough level to be able to affect the object in question. something like 50lbs per level of experience; or since it's a new form of magic you could even make it where there a sub class where she has to get through level 5 of a newbie that is 5 lbs per level and after level 5 newbie she becomes level one Transmogifier. Giving you time to get used to the magic as well.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Try looking through he invented magic topic here in this forum. There might be stuff there. Otherwise you will have to make up the Meta- spells that would fill out the spell list of a transformer mage.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Depends on how broad she wants to be able to change into stuff or transform stuff (objects)

There are alot of spells which change stuff around. Stone to Flesh, Clay to Iron/steel, Clay to Stone, etc.. specially in the Warlock Spells. The Wizard Spells have Metamorph spells, which are expensive.

Changling RCC, Auto-G RCC, Dragon Hatchling RCC are RCCs which you could use for cheap metamorph ability. I'd use the Chiang-Ku Dragon for this. Unlimited timelimit on its metamorphs. The characetr could even know she is really a Dragon (child), but enjoy pretending to be a Wizard who can Shapeshift herself at will to others. No need for amnesia. Dragons like to hide what they are, specially Chiang-ku.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I had a idea, that you could base the Transformer Mage off the Conjurer mage in Fed.ofMagic. And have a different set of costs to change different things like the conjurer has for creating things.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I would allow making the majorty of invoations spells they use must deal in transforming them self and others.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”