Rune sword & Auto mind block

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Rune sword & Auto mind block

Unread post by St. Evil »

Has anyone had to deal w/ a mindmage w/ a rune sword? How does the rune sword talk to the MM if he has auto mind block, and chooses to use it?
tuvermage
Wanderer

Re: Rune sword & Auto mind block

Unread post by tuvermage »

The Person with Mind block Auto-Defense must focus and actively lower his defense in order to hear it. so he wouldn't be able to talk to the sword in combat or while performing any skills.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The rune sword communicates through a bond, it could bybass the mind block as long as he's holding it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The rune sword communicates through a bond, it could bybass the mind block as long as he's holding it.

Agreed. It's a different version of communiction. How does a mind mage use two-way telepathy with mind block auto-defence?
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The rune sword communicates through a bond, it could bybass the mind block as long as he's holding it.

Greetings and Salutations. That's not true (at least not by the book, though house rules are fine if stated as such). I'll quote PF2 (main book), page250 and RWB2: Atlantis, page 127 for you.

2. Communicate through limited telepathy.

Here, we have the clear wording of "telepathy" (not a "bond"). There's also no limitation to only being able to communicate with someone who they're bonded with. What we do have is another quote saying ...

6. Link themselves to their wielder/owner within six months of constant contact. Thus, both man and weapon can sense each other's presence within a four mile radius (6.4 km) if separated.

Keep in mind here that this talks about the bond, and again there is NO talk about the telepathy or forced communication. So from all we can see, the rune sword communicates through "limited" telepathy, and nothing more. Limited in this case probably means one way transmission (Telepathic Speak) and not able to read thoughts. I'd definitely be hesitant to rule it as MORE powerful.

*Note: That 6.4 km conversion is only 5.4 km in PF2, but otherwise the wording is the same.

Ice Dragon wrote:Agreed. It's a different version of communiction. How does a mind mage use two-way telepathy with mind block auto-defence?

To answer that question, we should look at the Mind Block Auto-Defense power. That's usually the best way to answer these types of questions after all. So, for that, I'll quote PF2 (main book) page 177 and R:UE page 180.

It also alerts the psychic to the fact that he or she is being probed or attacked by empathy or telepathy. The character must consciously and willingly lower the mind shield and open himself to the psi-probes in order to receive a telepathic or empathic message.

Here, we have it clearly spelled out. If the mind mage (or other psychic) with Mind Block Auto-Defense wants to receive a telepathic transmission then he/she must lmake a conscious decision to lower that defense. So it is possible, but in doing so the psychic has lower his/her automatic defenses and open to attack (until the psychic closes himself off again).

Now, with that out of the way ...

St. Evil wrote:Has anyone had to deal w/ a mindmage w/ a rune sword? How does the rune sword talk to the MM if he has auto mind block, and chooses to use it?

If the Mind Mage is insisting on keeping the Mind Block Auto-Defense up, then the rune sword won't be able to contact in words. Now, this does NOT mean the rune sword is powerless to communicate. Really it depends on how important (or petty) the rune sword thinks it is. There are various examples in the books (I can probably find some if necessary) where it states that all the powers are the rune swords to control.

That means if the Mind Mage is ignoring the rune sword and it gets ticked enough (or wants to make a point), the rune sword can stop the Mind Mage from using any of its power (except as a sword or other weapon). So the blade will still cut ... but that's all the rune sword is good for anymore, at least until the rune sword decides to let him. This can be excellent blackmail.

Mind Mage: "What's going on?! Why can't I use {such and such} any more?!" :eek:
Rune Sword: *Muffled objections that can't be heard behind the Mind Block.* :badbad:
Mind Mage: "What?" :?
Rune Sword: *More muffled comments.* :x
Mind Mage: *Lowers Mind Block Auto-Defense.* "Okay, now what were you saying?" :?:
Rune Sword: "Because you don't listen to my feelings any more and I hate you." :D

Just saying. Anyways, thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Unread post by St. Evil »

Ice Dragon wrote:

Agreed. It's a different version of communiction. How does a mind mage use two-way telepathy with mind block auto-defence?

The MM is paranoid and does not let anyone in his head for any reason, so two way telepathy does not happen.
I also play that when the Auto defense is up any power beyond self range is unworkable.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”