is there a build a hero group template?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

is there a build a hero group template?

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

I have gone through the book and found templates in building a Merc unit, a Government agency, a Circus/traveling show. I haven't found one for creating a hero group, is there one somewhere?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: is there a build a hero group template?

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Not that I am aware of, I just quickly went through my Heroes books and didnt find one, although if there is one in a Rifter I may not be familiar with it.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

SpiritInterface wrote:I have gone through the book and found templates in building a Merc unit, a Government agency, a Circus/traveling show. I haven't found one for creating a hero group, is there one somewhere?

What 'Book'? Rifts? HU? In 1st edition HU series, Villains Unlimited had those rules, if by 'hero group' you mean super powered people, like in Heroes unlimited" I am not sure about 2nd ed HU. Your examples were Rifts based, yet you talk about heroes, so it causes confusion. BTS also has paranormal agency rules.
SpiritInterface
Hero

ZorValachan wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:I have gone through the book and found templates in building a Merc unit, a Government agency, a Circus/traveling show. I haven't found one for creating a hero group, is there one somewhere?

What 'Book'? Rifts? HU? In 1st edition HU series, Villains Unlimited had those rules, if by 'hero group' you mean super powered people, like in Heroes unlimited" I am not sure about 2nd ed HU. Your examples were Rifts based, yet you talk about heroes, so it causes confusion. BTS also has paranormal agency rules.

I have gone through Rifts, HU, HU revised, HU2, Century Station, BTS, Chaos Earth, Rifters and many others. What I am looking for is a template like what they have for creating a agency or building a Merc unit. Something to help create a hero group like the Avengers, or the Justice League. They used to have something like that in Champions.
Veni Vidi Vici
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

SpiritInterface wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:

I have gone through Rifts, HU, HU revised, HU2, Century Station, BTS, Chaos Earth, Rifters and many others. What I am looking for is a template like what they have for creating a agency or building a Merc unit. Something to help create a hero group like the Avengers, or the Justice League. They used to have something like that in Champions.

ZoValachan is correct, there is an 'Organizations' section in Villains Unlimited, however that always struck me more as making Agencies and not Super Teams, even though there is a section for Super Powered Operatives. (To reference some Comic Book examples Checkmate, SHIELD, AIM, Intergang, to name a few).

Note: This is not an attempt at conversion, nor it is solicitation for conversion. Merely an attempt to establish common ground for reference.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
SpiritInterface
Hero

13eowulf wrote:ZoValachan is correct, there is an 'Organizations' section in Villains Unlimited, however that always struck me more as making Agencies and not Super Teams, even though there is a section for Super Powered Operatives. (To reference some Comic Book examples Checkmate, SHIELD, AIM, Intergang, to name a few).

Note: This is not an attempt at conversion, nor it is solicitation for conversion. Merely an attempt to establish common ground for reference.

I looked at that one, it is as you said designed to building Agencies and not groups. I am looking for something that can be used to create groups from 3 heroes in a mobilehome to 100+ heroes in an orbiting space station. Something to help organize things like do they have a base, their resources, funding, a common costume, contacts, Government saction, law enforcement powers...

I am also looking for a template for building bases.
Veni Vidi Vici
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

SpiritInterface wrote:
13eowulf wrote:ZoValachan is correct, there is an 'Organizations' section in Villains Unlimited, however that always struck me more as making Agencies and not Super Teams, even though there is a section for Super Powered Operatives. (To reference some Comic Book examples Checkmate, SHIELD, AIM, Intergang, to name a few).

I looked at that one, it is as you said designed to building Agencies and not groups. I am looking for something that can be used to create groups from 3 heroes in a mobilehome to 100+ heroes in an orbiting space station. Something to help organize things like do they have a base, their resources, funding, a common costume, contacts, Government saction, law enforcement powers...

I am also looking for a template for building bases.

Hmmm, My group used it 3 or 4 times to make a super hero group. We never were affiliated with an 'agency', just us Player Characters. All the things you listed are options. Are you stuck because it is called 'organization' and not 'group'? :? I am not a huge super power comic book fan, so I actually did not even think of agencies and the like when using 'organizations'.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

SpiritInterface wrote:I am also looking for a template for building bases.

Rifter #37 has rules for this.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:Hero's of the Megaverse is a good book to start with.

I dont recall any tables in Heroes of the Megaverse that assist in creating a Headquarters/Secret Base or a Super Team Organization for Heroes Unlimited.

Could you elaborate?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

I think Ninjas and Superspies has something like that the organizations are based from small to high on page 60 Designing Player Group Agencies. The Mega Spy Agency might fit in with your needs.
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
A man's gotta know his limitations-Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, 1973
No good deed goes unpunished-Clare Booth Luce
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

The "agency" creation rules in N&S, VU, and Boxed Nightmares are basically the same thing, with slight variations for each setting (e.g. BN includes options for an occult library, VU includes options for robotics and bionics, etc.), but any of them can easily be used to create both player character groups and NPC superheroes/spies/investigators.

Using the rules in Villains Unlimited, an organization made up entirely of a single super team, with one HQ and little or no support staff would be equal to a private agency (type 1) or crime-busting agency (type 2). An organization which outwardly operates as a special school or laboratory for superbeings might be equal to a secret society (type 3). A major group of heroes who contend with nation- or world-spanning threats could be anything from type 4 up.

EDIT: I just remembered that there were also some rules for creating a team of mutants in the old TMNT main book. These rules didn't actually deal with organizational structure and resources, though; they seem to have been intended more as a way of streamlining the creation of a team of mutant animals of the same type and origin, like the TMNT themselves.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “G.M.s Forum”