Damage Rules

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cinos
Hero

Re: Damage Rules

Unread post by Cinos »

Your GM is correct by the books, SDC is a 'shield' that keeps your HP from getting hurt while it exists. Generally when you're out of SDC you're considered pretty near death, as it not only starts much lower, but it also advances much more slowly. This also makes those called shots / death blows very useful to attackers, as it can end fights almost instantly. A single hit with a sword can put someone into 'emergency mode', instantly losing a quarter of their HP (or more), since the average human has only 13~ HP out the gates, and even at 10th level, you're only looking at 40-50 HP, which is not that much, considering at that point 10 should be pretty average for incoming attack damaging (or 20-30 if gearing is allowed to progress to rune items, really depends on GM / play group at that point since 10th level is pretty high).

Also it cannot be unbalanced, because that rule works for enemies too, they get the same durability, it just means fights go much longer. Just keep in mind, what else would you expect a characters SDC to even do, if not stop damage?
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

kaizenmc wrote:I am new to GM - ing, but have been a player for a while.

The GM that ran our games had damage coming from SDC first, then HP - Regardless of attack (unless it was something like called shot to head / neck)

But that doesn't make sense to me. It seems to me that all attacks, unless they are with a stick or something, should go off of HP. It that's the case, your character with HP: 27 and SDC: of 42 can take up to 10+ (depending on rolls) 1D6 arrows before dying. Now, I know in the game we are the "heroes" and "above normal man" but that seems unbalanced to me.

I have looked through the core rule book and cannot find any clarification on this.

IMO anything slashing or piercing should go straight to HP. Anything that would "Club" would first go to SDC.

I'm looking for thoughts / clarifications on this before I start running my own campaigns. Thank you in advance!

I know what you mean, S.D.C. is kind of weird. Before S.D.C. was in PFRPG combat was certainly more dangerous to characters. If there is some cognitive dissonance, thought, consider just adding a character’s S.D.C. to the character’s Hit Points and not have to worry about it.
gdub411
Wanderer

Unread post by gdub411 »

Personally I am glad SDC was introduced. Some ordinary weapons do as much as 3d6 damage and PCs with 30+ HPS wasn't really cutting it. To heck with realism. This is fantasy and I dont want my PC to die too easily. Even with SDC the game is pretty deadly.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, Kaizenmc, I am with you. I feel like being stabbed with a sword or shot with an arrow is a really dangerous and should be avoided. Armor has SDC, that's there to protect you. SDC was originally for inanimate objects in 1st Ed and for some reason was applied to the characters in later games. I never used SDC. You are correct in how it's mentioned in the book. It's just extra HP the way it's written, almost like they started with Natasha's idea and worked backwards. In the games we played, we just never used it. If you want your character to stay alive, be smart about the fights you pick. I recommend just scrapping the SDC for all living beings and keeping it with the original spirit. It makes things really gritty.

Somewhere I remember seeing a picture of an ogre with arrows all over him, even one in his nose and there was a caption about him still having 30 HP. I looked for it but I don't know where it is.

-Vek
"If you get into a fair fight, that's your fault."
Gthomas41571
D-Bee

Unread post by Gthomas41571 »

Well I agree with the SDC rule, AR and the critical strk. I've never really had a problem, with the system not working.. its just luck of the dice.. :D
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I never had issues with it as written either. It's deadly enough as is. Being too deadly makes games just no fun to play. Ever play Dead Reign? IMO
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

kaizenmc wrote:I am new to GM - ing, but have been a player for a while.

The GM that ran our games had damage coming from SDC first, then HP - Regardless of attack (unless it was something like called shot to head / neck)

But that doesn't make sense to me. It seems to me that all attacks, unless they are with a stick or something, should go off of HP. It that's the case, your character with HP: 27 and SDC: of 42 can take up to 10+ (depending on rolls) 1D6 arrows before dying. Now, I know in the game we are the "heroes" and "above normal man" but that seems unbalanced to me.

I have looked through the core rule book and cannot find any clarification on this.

IMO anything slashing or piercing should go straight to HP. Anything that would "Club" would first go to SDC.

I'm looking for thoughts / clarifications on this before I start running my own campaigns. Thank you in advance!

There is method in your thinking. Ive thought the same.

The other posts have clarified though. Most things unless stated, damage SDC first. SDC is supposed to identify the "flesh wound" and hit points the "mortal wounds" (my own description there) so you know when its time to run!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

There is one other thing that most people don't seem to consider very often when it comes to the loads of SDC some characters can end up with and that's the Blood Loss rules in combat... the ones where you take one point of damage for every wound you've suffered, every round you don't treat said wounds, until either A> the wound gets treated or B> you drop dead from blood loss. I know it can slow a fight down calculating this, but it really whittles down SDC pretty quick.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

JuliusCreed wrote:There is one other thing that most people don't seem to consider very often when it comes to the loads of SDC some characters can end up with and that's the Blood Loss rules in combat... the ones where you take one point of damage for every wound you've suffered, every round you don't treat said wounds, until either A> the wound gets treated or B> you drop dead from blood loss. I know it can slow a fight down calculating this, but it really whittles down SDC pretty quick.

This. Unless we're playing fast and loose, I always use the blood loss rules. Makes a player think about what they're doing in combat..
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

We always use blood loss (PFRPG, not RUE rules).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

So just take damage off your HP then?

Even if none of the other players do it, if it's really fun for you, just let piercing weapons bypass your own characters SDC.

I'm guessing it wont be fun enough that you'll do that.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Noon wrote:So just take damage off your HP then?

Even if none of the other players do it, if it's really fun for you, just let piercing weapons bypass your own characters SDC.

I'm guessing it wont be fun enough that you'll do that.

Nobody said to do this.. It's damage to the SDC first, but also 1 HP per wound per melee to represent blood loss...
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”