So what's really going on with the Vampire Sourcebook??

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Re: So what's really going on with the Vampire Sourcebook??

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I am personally REALLY REALLY keen to see Black Market and I think pushing it forward was a good business move because it has setting information that sweeps across the entirety of Rifts Earth. That said, my understanding that the Vampire Source book is mostly complete but is on the back burner because they're prioritizing the Insider offers (again, rightfully so) so they have more of an immediate cash flow so they can put out more books more quickly through the year. Like the Vampire sourcebook which will likely not earn as much because a lot of it is reprinted or updated material.

So stick in there Lord! Youll see your book, just let Palladium hit their stride again! They're building speed! Can't ya tell? :D Pretty exciting right!
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Perhaps sales of Vampire Kingdoms Revised has not been as good as expected. So he moved onto low hanging fruit, NG and Black market have been prized for years. and are much needed for other titles.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Akashic Soldier wrote:I am personally REALLY REALLY keen to see Black Market and I think pushing it forward was a good business move because it has setting information that sweeps across the entirety of Rifts Earth. That said, my understanding that the Vampire Source book is mostly complete but is on the back burner because they're prioritizing the Insider offers (again, rightfully so) so they have more of an immediate cash flow so they can put out more books more quickly through the year. Like the Vampire sourcebook which will likely not earn as much because a lot of it is reprinted or updated material.

So stick in there Lord! Youll see your book, just let Palladium hit their stride again! They're building speed! Can't ya tell? :D Pretty exciting right!

Yeah. We'll see it along side of Japan 2, Australia 2, Australia 3, Land of the Damned 3, Tome Grotesque, Beyond Arcanum, and Megaverse in Flames.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Greyaxe wrote:Perhaps sales of Vampire Kingdoms Revised has not been as good as expected. So he moved onto low hanging fruit, NG and Black market have been prized for years. and are much needed for other titles.

My thoughts.

I also wanted to see BM and MiF as the next books as they are of the most interest to me.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
earthhawk

Unread post by earthhawk »

Lord Nikon wrote:I have been waiting since last year for this book. Originally Kevin made mention that it was his next book to focus on after Lemuria.

"Rifts® Vampires Sourcebook is next to be finished.

Dead Reign™ Sourcebook 3: Endless Dead will quickly follow the Vamps sourcebook"

Then all of a sudden Endless Dead was bumped ahead. :|
Then came Path of the Storm. :-(
Then Rifter 57, 58 and 59. :-x

Now it looks like Black Market is to be completed and released before the Vampire Sourcebook... :x

I'm just waiting for Northern Gun 1 & 2 to be bumped ahead and the Sourcebook pushed back again!

Maybe it's only me, but I have a limited amount of resources and can't make multiple purchases of books because the shipping charges kill me. There are now three other books I have put on hold buying because I am waiting for this book to be finished. PLEASe. If anyone that has the power reads this, no more delay's. I beg you!

After all, the writing seems to be continuing even though the writing was almost finished last fall...

Unfortunately this is par for the course, and has been a point of contention for Palladium Books since about the mid 1990s. Rifts: Lemuria is a prime example. I wish that I could give you some reassurance that your book will be coming out soon, but I can't. Most Palladium fans know that release dates really don't mean a thing, and they only way to know if your book is coming is to wait for the announcement on the main page. To be honest I wouldn't expect this book anytime soon as you have at least THREE books in front of it: Rifts Blackmarket, NGR 1 and NGR2. Both of the NGRs are Insider offers, so its important to get those books out as soon as possible. You can do like some have (including myself) and complain about, or you can do like others do and just wait it out (what I currently do now). Good luck!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Not trying to ruin anyone's day or anything but this one doesn't seem all that deep.

Why is it not out yet? He put out other books instead. No big huge thing with it. Kevin just put out other books. As to the why? Could be as simple as he was 'Feeling' the other books and the writing was flowing on them. Could be that we got Vamp revised so he figures we could wait on the others while he got us Lemuria, BM and such.

The thing is, that vamp sourcebook is material meant for Vamp kingdoms that was just too big. It's not like there's going to be tons of extra writing on it. The material is there. It has to be put together in a coherient fashion, but most of it's probably done. Might have to punch out some stuff to padd it up but yeah. It's not like he wrote vamp kindoms and was just like "Ehhhh. I'll do the Rangers later" you know that stuff was done together, then the Rangers were lifted out to be the "Hook" of the sourcebook.

Palladium does have a bad habit with "projected books"

In --THIS-- case though? Naa. People freakin' for nothin'. They're almost done with BM. They're aiming to get it to printer monday... so it'll probably get there some time be tween monday and the end of the month. (( Where in there, noone knows.)) Then he's doing Vamp sourcebook. Says he wants it out by Gencon. Only way that happens is if he's like 90% done with it already. Remember Palladium has a 2 week turn around on printing books and Gencon is mid August. That means hee needs the book to the printer in the next week, week and half and technically Black Market isn't there yet. Could it happen? Yeah, if the book is mostly done and just needs some polish. Could look good at Gencon to say "Yeah we've got two books out in the last month!"

If you're asking my Opinion though? I don't think Vamp will be out before Gencon. I'll give it a month or two after Black market. And only that fast, because I think it's mostly done already. Gencon will take up Palladium's 'work hours" for a week+ before and they always come home like they've treked the amazon or walked the Sahara, so it takes um a week or so to 'recover'. That'll cut into the time to get Vamp Sourcebook out.

I hope I'm wrong! :)

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Akashic Soldier
Knight

The Beast wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:I am personally REALLY REALLY keen to see Black Market and I think pushing it forward was a good business move because it has setting information that sweeps across the entirety of Rifts Earth. That said, my understanding that the Vampire Source book is mostly complete but is on the back burner because they're prioritizing the Insider offers (again, rightfully so) so they have more of an immediate cash flow so they can put out more books more quickly through the year. Like the Vampire sourcebook which will likely not earn as much because a lot of it is reprinted or updated material.

Yeah. We'll see it along side of Japan 2, Australia 2, Australia 3, Land of the Damned 3, Tome Grotesque, Beyond Arcanum, and Megaverse in Flames.

Australia 2 & 3 were canceled because Australia 1 had such terrible sales. I can't speak for the others but I know Megaverse in Flames is still in production. Stop hating man.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Akashic Soldier wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Australia 2 & 3 were canceled because Australia 1 had such terrible sales. I can't speak for the others but I know Megaverse in Flames is still in production. Stop hating man.

As a side note.. the 'Reason' for Australia 2 and 3 being canceled, has been stated to have been other things. You know this Ak. We've spoken of it before. :)

But you're right. Aussie 2 and 3 were canceled. Other titles though were left to linger and just fell off the radar.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

I have it on good authority the primary reason was that Rifts: Australia is the lowest selling Palladium Book with the exception of coloring and art books.
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

Akashic Soldier wrote:I have it on good authority the primary reason was that Rifts: Australia is the lowest selling Palladium Book with the exception of coloring and art books.

Well, I hear they plan on remaking MAD MAXX so maybe thet will renew interest in the Land Down Under.

As for the Vampire Sourcebook I can't wait to see it. back when i first got the Rifts Main Book I picked up Sourcebook one and Vampire kingdoms at the same time (blew my bagboy paycheck.) It was just so COOL. it was my first taste of the Palladium gamming system and I was hooked. the First Rift games I GM'd were in Texas/Mexico.. I even moved Archie's base to Southern Texas so i could use Him against my Players. the Rangers were my first examples of what Rifts Characters should be.. I can't wait to see what they are like 20+ years later
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Akashic Soldier wrote:Australia 2 & 3 were canceled because Australia 1 had such terrible sales. I can't speak for the others but I know Megaverse in Flames is still in production. Stop hating man.

Who's hating? I'm pointing out their track record.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

The Beast wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:Australia 2 & 3 were canceled because Australia 1 had such terrible sales. I can't speak for the others but I know Megaverse in Flames is still in production. Stop hating man.

Who's hating? I'm pointing out their track record.

You know well where I stand with that. For someone who does not like their track record you sure as hell like to bring it up every chance you have man. They have been producing books much faster than normal but that is constantly ignored for negativity and it just gets old. Thats all.
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

Akashic Soldier wrote:I have it on good authority the primary reason was that Rifts: Australia is the lowest selling Palladium Book with the exception of coloring and art books.

Really, because Shadows of Light is the only book they've produced that sold so abysmally as to have been stated flat out that it will never receive a second printing.
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Jedrious wrote:

Really, because Shadows of Light is the only book they've produced that sold so abysmally as to have been stated flat out that it will never receive a second printing.

Shadows of Light is selling from USD 80 to USD 863.10!!! http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all. It is the most expensive Palladium book that I have ever seen in Amazon!

RIFTS Australia: I don't like it but it is not a bad book.

I think their release schedule is: Black Market, NG1, NG2 and then VKS. Perhaps I am wrong...
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

ffranceschi wrote:
Jedrious wrote:

Shadows of Light is selling from USD 80 to USD 863.10!!! http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all. It is the most expensive Palladium book that I have ever seen in Amazon!

I think their release schedule is: Black Market, NG1, NG2 and then VKS. Perhaps I am wrong...

in the COLLECTOR'S market, it's selling, in the actual ROLEPLAYING market it did horrible, hence why it was CANCELLED.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

lol that's just because it sucked. It's not the "REASON" I've heard as to why 2 and 3 were canceled.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

ffranceschi wrote:
Jedrious wrote:

Actually as of right now the release schedule is 'Black Market, Vamp Sourcebook, (Robotech?), THEN NG1, NG2.

Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Mallak's Place wrote:

Well, I hear they plan on remaking MAD MAXX so maybe thet will renew interest in the Land Down Under.

As for the Vampire Sourcebook I can't wait to see it. back when i first got the Rifts Main Book I picked up Sourcebook one and Vampire kingdoms at the same time (blew my bagboy paycheck.) It was just so COOL. it was my first taste of the Palladium gamming system and I was hooked. the First Rift games I GM'd were in Texas/Mexico.. I even moved Archie's base to Southern Texas so i could use Him against my Players. the Rangers were my first examples of what Rifts Characters should be.. I can't wait to see what they are like 20+ years later

DO NOT LIE TO ME DUDE, seriously..... I LOVE that series.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Jedrious wrote:
ffranceschi wrote:
Jedrious wrote:

in the COLLECTOR'S market, it's selling, in the actual ROLEPLAYING market it did horrible, hence why it was CANCELLED.

And the reason it's doing well on the collector's market is because it won't ever get a second printing.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Still waiting for Rifts Speed Tribes by Timothy Bradstreet
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Greyaxe wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:

You really think you're a fan, but you are that far behind the news? Here's the best Mad Max fansite with all the latest news (and even a few photos).

;]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

lol that's just because it sucked. It's not the "REASON" I've heard as to why 2 and 3 were canceled.

I did not mind the rifts australia book but my biggest problem with it is every other page has stuff like this will be covered in australia 2 or australia 3 so it came off as terribly incomplete and not very satisfying.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

I think Pepsi pretty much covered it, but to reiterate based on what Kevin said in the last few murmurs, it seems like more or less what happened is he got more excited about Black Market. He was planning on working on both that and VK:SB1 concurrently, but he just felt the Black Market stuff more and got a bunch of contributions from other writers that he really, really liked, so he rolled with it. I'd also expect VK:SB1 to be turned around very quickly once Black Market is done.

Earlier on, VK:SB1 was "put aside" because of Lemuria in large part and whatever massive writters block/procrastination was going on with it over the months. VK:SB1, other than maybe very initially when the revised Vampire Kingdoms book was still being written, was not described as being an immediate release after VK. As soon as VK was out the door there were other products in the pipe first that were announced. Though lately it has gotten a bit delayed.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

CyCo wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:

You really think you're a fan, but you are that far behind the news? Here's the best Mad Max fansite with all the latest news (and even a few photos).

;]

The latest news was in March of 2009.
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 3-73 Cavalry. Leading the way! Airborne!!!
All hail CJ, Future Ruler of the Megavesre!

Unread post by PhellaOne »

CyCo wrote:You really think you're a fan, but you are that far behind the news? Here's the best Mad Max fansite with all the latest news (and even a few photos).

;]

Nice link. :ok:
All will bow to CJ, Future Ruler of the Megaverse!

"Storytellas Studios... that's how we imagined it!"
http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)
StorytellasStudios@groups.live.com for now.

Game on! Long live Palladium Books!!!
Xbox Live gamertag: xX PhellaOne Xx
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Lord Nikon wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:I think Pepsi pretty much covered it, but to reiterate based on what Kevin said in the last few murmurs, it seems like more or less what happened is he got more excited about Black Market. He was planning on working on both that and VK:SB1 concurrently, but he just felt the Black Market stuff more and got a bunch of contributions from other writers that he really, really liked, so he rolled with it. I'd also expect VK:SB1 to be turned around very quickly once Black Market is done.

Earlier on, VK:SB1 was "put aside" because of Lemuria in large part and whatever massive writters block/procrastination was going on with it over the months. VK:SB1, other than maybe very initially when the revised Vampire Kingdoms book was still being written, was not described as being an immediate release after VK. As soon as VK was out the door there were other products in the pipe first that were announced. Though lately it has gotten a bit delayed.

Ya... I know... You guys are right. And it's not that I don't want BM or the Northern Gun books... I do. I just have to watch my limited resources and have been biting at the bit for a while for both the Lemuria and VK - Sourcebook. I REALLY want them. But $40 in shipping is nuts! That's a whole other book...

I'll just hafta try and be patient. :-(

While I agree that palladium shipping is steep, I'll point out again Vamp Sourcebook is next on the release list. Not the NG books. And we possibly may get the Robotech book before the NG books too.

So.. hang in there a little longer. Black Market is "To go to the printer" Well was supposed to be Friday, then Monday.. so "Soon" and Vamp Source-book is on deck for 'Next'. a month or two and it could be out.

Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

Vampires Suck anyway..........getting tired of them *looks a bit occupied while following someone into a cab*
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Greyaxe wrote:
CyCo wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:

;]

The latest news was in March of 2009.

You mean the latest news you heard was back in 2009? Otherwise that link takes you to some other page and not the main page. According to that, as of this post the latest news was July 12 2012.
Eureka!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

PhellaOne wrote:
CyCo wrote:You really think you're a fan, but you are that far behind the news? Here's the best Mad Max fansite with all the latest news (and even a few photos).

;]

Nice link. :ok:

No problems! That has been in my bookmarks for years, maybe even a decade. Every now and then I pop in to see what news of the movies was out, or to see if anyone has done up a car as the Interceptor or other vehicle.
Eureka!
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Tome Grotesque & Beyond Arcanum are really late lol I think making them both with major conversion notes for Rifts and or Nightbane, HU, Palladium Fantasy, would help get interest up. Another option is jam these books together in one thick book. Third and my favorite idea stats on the Great Old Ones and their minions & since angels/spirits of Light & the old dragons got left out the revised conversion book throw them in revised as a bonus.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

As far as I have read VKS is next.

Robotech is if they get the manuscript from Irvin and approvals from HG quickly enough (not likely) so next would be NG 1 and 2.

As for waiting. I still want Megaverse in Flames. You know the last book in The Minion War series that was slated to be out a few years ago now and keeps getting pushed back for these books that weren't even on the horizon when it was supposed to have been done already?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 3-73 Cavalry. Leading the way! Airborne!!!
All hail CJ, Future Ruler of the Megavesre!

Unread post by PhellaOne »

jaymz wrote:As far as I have read VKS is next.

Robotech is if they get the manuscript from Irvin and approvals from HG quickly enough (not likely) so next would be NG 1 and 2.

As for waiting. I still want Megaverse in Flames. You know the last book in The Minion War series that was slated to be out a few years ago now and keeps getting pushed back for these books that weren't even on the horizon when it was supposed to have been done already?

Hope Carl hasn't jumped ship...
All will bow to CJ, Future Ruler of the Megaverse!

"Storytellas Studios... that's how we imagined it!"
http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)
StorytellasStudios@groups.live.com for now.

Game on! Long live Palladium Books!!!
Xbox Live gamertag: xX PhellaOne Xx
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

PhellaOne wrote:
jaymz wrote:As far as I have read VKS is next.

Hope Carl hasn't jumped ship...

As far as I know, Kevin HAS the manuscript.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

LOL

Rifts Lemura was announced.. 14.. 16 years ago? And just came out this year. (Yes I know that after 10 years or so it was scrapped and then re-written. That's not the point))

The "Tolkeen war" Series was supposed to be a one year event. It went on much longer.

The "Minion War" Was again supposed to be a one year thing. The first book was out in Aug 2007. It's now Aug 2012, and we've got another book, that by all indications we won't be seeing till summer of next year. So that's 6 years on that. That's if they don't post a wrap up book and "Where the world is now" Like they did with Aftermath. (( Which personally is one of my fave books and I would love a new one))

So... yes. Books that are announced are bumped back in the orders for years and years.

Wanna see people get REALLY upset... Ask um about the BTS source books. But make sure you have a helmet and shield first.

Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Amanda-Cha'at wrote:Is Palladium Books really that bad?! That a book that has been announced is bumped back in the order of publish for years and years?

Unfortunately, yeah.

Palladium's problem with the release schedule is the major complaint among customers and critics. I do believe that Kev and company try their best, but sometimes it's a real labor of love being a Palladium fan waiting for a release.

Still, when the books do come out, I've only very rarely been disappointed in the quality. :)
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Mercdog wrote:
Amanda-Cha'at wrote:Is Palladium Books really that bad?! That a book that has been announced is bumped back in the order of publish for years and years?

Unfortunately, yeah.

Palladium's problem with the release schedule is the major complaint among customers and critics. I do believe that Kev and company try their best, but sometimes it's a real labor of love being a Palladium fan waiting for a release.

Still, when the books do come out, I've only very rarely been disappointed in the quality. :)

I saw the cover to Megaverse in Flames last year at GenCon 2011, it was going to be available "soon". GenCon 2012 is 9 days from now. :(

I have never written for a living but judging by his murmurs he comes and goes in spurts. I also think (purely conjecture on my part) up until the last few months with the insiders they were having trouble paying the bills (who isn't these days it seems).
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Folks... I just this morning recieved editorial notes on a short story I submitted to Games Workshop's Black Library back in March. Five months later... and BL, as a company, is FAR larger staff-wise than Palladium.

Sometimes, a manuscript simply has to wait in cue. Other times, one project gets bumped up, which in turn puts other things behind. It happens. It's just frustrating to those of us living in a digital, on-line world used to having everything instantly and on-demand.

I too want to see the Vampire Sourcebook, since my Rifts group is currently in the Mexico setting, and I did a fair ammount of work on the book's manuscript. But the rate at which it is published is entirely out of my hands... so, I simply have to wait expectantly. And so must all of you.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Braden Campbell wrote:Folks... I just this morning recieved editorial notes on a short story I submitted to Games Workshop's Black Library back in March. Five months later... and BL, as a company, is FAR larger staff-wise than Palladium.

Sometimes, a manuscript simply has to wait in cue. Other times, one project gets bumped up, which in turn puts other things behind. It happens. It's just frustrating to those of us living in a digital, on-line world used to having everything instantly and on-demand.

I too want to see the Vampire Sourcebook, since my Rifts group is currently in the Mexico setting, and I did a fair ammount of work on the book's manuscript. But the rate at which it is published is entirely out of my hands... so, I simply have to wait expectantly. And so must all of you.

We appreciate that things may take time, there are many hoops tp jump thru after all. The problem is Palladium's habit of announcing that "X" Book/s will be out "soon" and then the next thing we hear is the book is delayed, or suspended indefinitely. I, for one, have long taken the stance that said book doesn't exist until I see it on the shelves or read an actual post that it is available, and even then there have been cases when the book is said to be out so I go ahead and order it and then I'm told it's out of stock. As far as the new Vampire books is concerned, I'll beleive it IF and When I actually see it in SOMEONE ELSES hands, 'cause I have next to no interest in it. I've got the original VK book and that is LITERALLY all anyone needs.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I think it has something also to do with the vampire source book while it has new info also will contain a fair amount of info that was previously covered. So totally new books like black market are likely to have a stronger draw so if time constraints require prioritizing it makes sense to go for the new hotness over the revised book.

Braden Campbell wrote:Folks... I just this morning recieved editorial notes on a short story I submitted to Games Workshop's Black Library back in March. Five months later... and BL, as a company, is FAR larger staff-wise than Palladium.

Braden Campbell

Panomas wrote:Braden,

What about games have you written any supplements?

Let's see... for Paladium I'm responsible (in whole or in part) for:
* a three-part Wormwood addendum in the Rifter (this was sourcebook material initially, but there were fears that such a thing would sell poorly. Rather than just let it die , I pushed to have it in the monthly quarterly.)
* Fleets of the Three Galaxies
* Thundercloud Galaxy
* the Free World Council stuff in Rifter #50 (it's official)
* Tales of the Chi-Town 'Burbs (I spearheaded the creation following a talk with Kevin... that's why my stories bookend all the others.)
*some stuff in the aforementioned Vampire Sourcebook

Hmmmm. Quite a bit when I look at it.

The problem is Palladium's habit of announcing that "X" Book/s will be out "soon" and then the next thing we hear is the book is delayed, or suspended indefinitely...

I tend to agree, but as a non-editor/non-publisher there's not much I can do about it, sadly.
Braden, GMPhD

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Amanda-Cha'at wrote:OH, I am really happy that I did not pre-order the Vampire Sourcebook then. I almost did it, I had filled out the forms and got the OK from my father to use his credit card, but paying for something that I do not know if and when it will get published, would really want me to run to the US from Denmark (hopefully i will find a rift leading there near our western coast, otherwise i might need a scuba suit) and punch the owner of Palladium Books hard on the nose.

They should really issue a strong warning when you pre-order coming books that the books might not be published for years. Because if I had gone through with it, I would have felt really cheated if they were to take years to be published. do not know what the rules for such things are in US, but here in Denmark, it is illegal to demand pay for a product and then just postpone it ad infinitum.

I hear what you're saying. I love Palladium. Still, I follow a careful rule.

"Do not order till the book is at the printer" because untill then you do not have any clue when it'll come out. Kevin was "Finishing up" Lemuria for like 3 months. Final Edits on Black Market took better of 3 weeks after the book was finished.

We can eagerly await books. We can hear them talked about. We can even talk about them, but do not, ever, get your hopes up on GETTING The book, till it's off to printers.

Black Market is off to the printers now. I'll probably pre-order on Friday.

Don't pre order Vamp Sourcebook till it's at the printer. A month or three down the road.

(( As a side note. My wife is a little tweeked I've already PAID for the two northern gun books, and they won't arrive for months. lol ))

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

It's Ok Braden we forgive you the things you can't control. :D Besides you've other sins that you'll pay for eventually. (Yes he WILL pay!) :lol:
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Braden Campbell wrote:a three-part Wormwood addendum in the Rifter

When?! :eek:
Braden Campbell

Wooly wrote:

Oh, let's see...
Rifter
#42 (History and intro article)
#43 (a "swimsuit issue", but contains stats for the Queen of Worldgate ;) )
#44 (Ezud - a new human kingdom)
#46 (Worldgate)

This might also be a help. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=98491&hilit=+wormwood
Braden, GMPhD

Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Braden Campbell wrote:
Wooly wrote:

Oh, let's see...
Rifter
#42 (History and intro article)
#43 (a "swimsuit issue", but contains stats for the Queen of Worldgate ;) )
#44 (Ezud - a new human kingdom)
#46 (Worldgate)

This might also be a help. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=98491&hilit=+wormwood

MOAR!

Return to “Rifts®”