Hardware Unlimited exists?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Hardware Unlimited exists?

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

I always thought Hardware Unlimited was pure vaporware... something never written or worked on in any way. But I recently read some old comments from Wayne B that seemed to reference an existing Hardware Unlimited manuscript, which contained things like alternate ranged combat rules, etc.

Does anyone know the story on this book? How come it never came out?
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Hardware Unlimited exists?

Wow, I didn't know that! But it makes perfect sense (at least, I can see it for Empowered and Super Invention. Maybe Imbued too.) Does anyone know why they split them off into the PU book, instead of publishing the original manuscript?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

There was a manuscript turned in. A couple of different ones if I recall, but they were deemed not up to par. [IIRC]
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Rappanui wrote:The articles from the hardware unlimited manuscript lead to half the new classes in PU2.
the rest is history.

WRONG!
The classes in PU2 were written by Carmen Bellaire who DID NOT write nor have access to the Hardware Unlimited manuscripts.
Please be accurate in your statements before posting them as facts!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Ah, I see. Oh well, I would love to see that book come out. Hell, I'd love to see any new HU book come out!
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Robots Unlimited? How about Oceans Unlimited (A peek at the world of Heroes under the sea).
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Rappanui wrote:The articles from the hardware unlimited manuscript lead to half the new classes in PU2.
the rest is history.

WRONG!
The classes in PU2 were written by Carmen Bellaire who DID NOT write nor have access to the Hardware Unlimited manuscripts.

Did anyone else hear this in Kevin Spacey's voice?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Traska wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
the rest is history.

WRONG!

I heard Bill O'reilly
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
stankind
D-Bee

Unread post by stankind »

It's a shame you guys got off topic...

Hardware Unlimited was always one of the titles that got me excited about Heroes Unlimited.
If I recall correctly this was supposed to be the next big thing for Heroes Unlimited.
Then, I believe that Century Station and its follow up books took over.

I was always looking for more rules and examples of what the Hardware characters could do.
I was also looking forward to other variants on the class.

I know there is a topic in this forum that covers "Hardware Unlimited".
Ot just never seemed to fit my ideas of what this book could have been.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I also like to see Hardware Unlimited to see New Verhicles and Weapons Not only for Hareware,s characters but for Special training characters too.

Rules on buliting Secert Bases,for Heroes and Villains.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

There are a couple of new books that are being worked on, but I don't think it has been publicly announced what they are. Hardware Unlimited and Robotics Unlimited books are desperately needed, and not just reworked versions of what is already in the Rifts books, but a comprehensive system which would allow you to build basically anything. And Rules for bases already exist, Gaby, it's the technology that is lacking.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

Actually one of the writers at the last open house made mention about the fact he had a hardware or Technologies unlimited in the works. Something about finishing it after he is done with N&SS 2. Hope it gets finished and it completes the construction rules for technologies. I have high hopes he is an Engineer in real life after all (from what I hear).
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

eoptap wrote:Actually one of the writers at the last open house made mention about the fact he had a hardware or Technologies unlimited in the works. Something about finishing it after he is done with N&SS 2. Hope it gets finished and it completes the construction rules for technologies. I have high hopes he is an Engineer in real life after all (from what I hear).

That writer is Greg Diaczyk. He was given the green light by Kevin to work on a Hardware Unlimited book. He is going off of his own fresh ideas and to my knowledge will not be referencing any previous manuscripts.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
eoptap wrote:Actually one of the writers at the last open house made mention about the fact he had a hardware or Technologies unlimited in the works. Something about finishing it after he is done with N&SS 2. Hope it gets finished and it completes the construction rules for technologies. I have high hopes he is an Engineer in real life after all (from what I hear).

That writer is Greg Diaczyk. He was given the green light by Kevin to work on a Hardware Unlimited book. He is going off of his own fresh ideas and to my knowledge will not be referencing any previous manuscripts.

Sweet! I am stoked for this book! I really feel like HU needs a good Hardware book, that updates the technological classes and their gear!
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Mediapig71 wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:

Sweet! I am stoked for this book! I really feel like HU needs a good Hardware book, that updates the technological classes and their gear!

Having checked out the Rifts thread, where Greg talks about Hardware Unlimited
as well, I am even more excited for this book!
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

NMI wrote:

Glad for the green light.
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

Any updates on the progress of Hardware Unlimited?
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Traska wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
the rest is history.

WRONG!

I heard Bill O'reilly

I heard Peewee Herman
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

NMI wrote:The classes in PU2 were written by Carmen Bellaire who DID NOT write nor have access to the Hardware Unlimited manuscripts. Please be accurate in your statements before posting them as facts!

Bellaire has mistakenly presenting old concepts as "original" ones (PU1pg81 "Reconstruction" is just a slight alteration Aaron Oliver made to TMNT super powers Erick Wujcik created) so it's an understandable assumption.

Also the retitling of book concepts seems to have happened in other systems too. Like how Nightbane mentioned there being a "Spook Squad" sourcebook which essentially got jammed into Between the Shadows.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”