Help selecting some OCCs

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Necrite
Dungeon Crawler

Help selecting some OCCs

Unread post by Necrite »

I've got a couple NPCs I'm putting together that I'm having difficulty finding suitable OCCs for, and hopefully someone can help me find some good fits. Normally, I'd just pick the closest thing and fudge the parts that don't fit, but since this is for a potential rifter submission, I'd like to be as "by the book" as possible.

The first is meant to be a pretty basic thug type character. He's a big, strong, Mega Damage D-Bee that has spent much of his life as a bandit or caravan raider on the long stretches of road between settlements. My first thought was Vagabond, but that offers FAR more skill selections than would be appropriate. I then looked at Headhunters, but this character wouldn't get cybernetics/bionics, even if he were capable. I'd considered just dropping the bionics, but even then, he'd probably be too skilled. The best fit I can really find is the Splatterpunk from Systems Failure.
If I can't find anything that's a closer fit, would any of you consider it an odd fit to use a Systems Failure OCC for a native Rifts character?

The second, I had planned on creating as a Vagabond with psionic powers (a successful roll on Step 4 of character creation). The first problem I ran into is that randomly rolled psionics can't have Super Psionic powers, and I need at least one. I looked at Mind Melter, but that has way too much psi power. The other problem is that I don't have RUE, and I've heard that Vagabonds have been pretty heavily changed.
So for this one, two questions: What are the differences between RMB and RUE Vagabonds? And would you consider it "wrong" if an NPC in a published book had powers slightly above what should be permitted by rules as written?
Alternatively, are there any classes with Psionic powers roughly equal to those of the Mystic, but no Magic powers stacked on top?
"I have to applaud you for doing all that math :D" - Nekira Sudacne
Necrite
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Help selecting some OCCs

Unread post by Necrite »

I guess there would be a couple places I could have been more specific.

The big guy is a Grackle Tooth. But Grackles aren't really a complete RCC - they just have a few bonuses to stack on top of their OCC.
I'll look at the PFRPG OCCs you suggested, but that brings up the same question I asked about the Splatterpunk: Would it be appropriate to use a non-Rifts OCC for a Rifts-native character (ie, not from the same setting the OCC originates from)?

The second, as I said, is a perfect match for the Vagabond, except that I wanted her to have some psychic abilities, including one that lets her soak some MD attacks, if need be. The only appropriate power I can find is TK Force Field, which is in the Super category - not typically available to a non-psi OCC. I'd be willing to use a different OCC, provided it doesn't have an excess of psi powers (like the Mind Melter), nor add in extra abilities (like the Mystic).
I'm not sure about Psynetics. It's been ages since I've looked at those - I forgot those even existed. I'll have to take a look later.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

The Grackle Tooth could get the Bandit (Highwayman) from New West.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Pogtalian dragon slayers make for decent thugs. They're giants though.
Necrite
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Necrite »

Icefalcon wrote:The Grackle Tooth could get the Bandit (Highwayman) from New West.

I saw that one when I was browsing OCCs in the GM Guide, but I don't have that book, so I ignored it. I'll see if I can find a copy to borrow to look at the class.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Do you have CWC? if so you could look at the Vanguard Brawler's unique O.C.C. It might be what you're looking for with your Grackle Tooth and I don't recall any reason why it couldn't be applied to another race.

As for the psychic why not just do a split class? One level as a mind-melter and the rest as a vaga-bond? If you've got Psyscape you could also look at the implants at/near the end of the book... they might be able to help you out.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Necrite wrote:I've got a couple NPCs I'm putting together that I'm having difficulty finding suitable OCCs for, and hopefully someone can help me find some good fits. Normally, I'd just pick the closest thing and fudge the parts that don't fit, but since this is for a potential rifter submission, I'd like to be as "by the book" as possible.

The first is meant to be a pretty basic thug type character. He's a big, strong, Mega Damage D-Bee that has spent much of his life as a bandit or caravan raider on the long stretches of road between settlements. My first thought was Vagabond, but that offers FAR more skill selections than would be appropriate. I then looked at Headhunters, but this character wouldn't get cybernetics/bionics, even if he were capable. I'd considered just dropping the bionics, but even then, he'd probably be too skilled. The best fit I can really find is the Splatterpunk from Systems Failure.
If I can't find anything that's a closer fit, would any of you consider it an odd fit to use a Systems Failure OCC for a native Rifts character?

1. You should probably look at a D-Bee species that has its own, rather limited, RCC, and go with that.
2. OR you can go with Vagabond, but make the character more of a mutant human (RMB mutation tables) or mutant animal (TMNT or AtB), and go with the CB1 option where Vagabonds can have super powers, along with the option that a vagabond with super powers can have 3 minor, three major powers in exchange for giving up half of their Other skills.
3. OR you can use a home-brew OCC/RCC, or use one of the non-adventuring OCCs from this thread, such as Raider, Barbarian, Farmer, or Townie.

The second, I had planned on creating as a Vagabond with psionic powers (a successful roll on Step 4 of character creation). The first problem I ran into is that randomly rolled psionics can't have Super Psionic powers, and I need at least one.

Okay.... why do you need at least one Super psionic power?

I looked at Mind Melter, but that has way too much psi power. The other problem is that I don't have RUE, and I've heard that Vagabonds have been pretty heavily changed.
So for this one, two questions: What are the differences between RMB and RUE Vagabonds?

Nothing that would help you.
They have an OCC ability ("Eyeball a Fella"), some new/better skills, and Mega-Damage armor & weapons to start.

And would you consider it "wrong" if an NPC in a published book had powers slightly above what should be permitted by rules as written?

Not really, as long as you don't go overboard with it.
But you don't have to go that way. Instead of having an Uber-Vagabond with more powers than he should, you could just make an especially lame Mind Melter with far fewer powers than he should.

Alternatively, are there any classes with Psionic powers roughly equal to those of the Mystic, but no Magic powers stacked on top?

Nothing springs to mind. But if you give a better idea about what kind of Super Psionic power you need, that might help out.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Necrite wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:The Grackle Tooth could get the Bandit (Highwayman) from New West.

I saw that one when I was browsing OCCs in the GM Guide, but I don't have that book, so I ignored it. I'll see if I can find a copy to borrow to look at the class.

I was going to suggest Bandit from New West, but as it seems you don't have it... you might be able to use a Pirate/Privateer OCC instead. There are several of them in various books (CSN, SA1 or 2). Otherwise check some of the RCCs there might be an all-in-one package out there.

Necrite wrote:The second, I had planned on creating as a Vagabond with psionic powers (a successful roll on Step 4 of character creation). The first problem I ran into is that randomly rolled psionics can't have Super Psionic powers, and I need at least one. I looked at Mind Melter, but that has way too much psi power.

Several Options:
-Genetic Test Subject (Lone Star or Gene Splicer), Lone Star did create the Psi-X Aliens from humans and IINM Gene Splicers may be credited with at least one creation in NA (per DBoDA).
-Psionic Implants (Psycape or Mindwerks) might offer something, either as a straight take from the book or a custom one for the setting
-IINM Vegabonds can also get Super Powers. Are there any Super Powers that might fit the bill?
-Psymbiote (Psycape RCC), just have the creature hold back on the powers it uses. (Or a similar creature/Bio-Wizardry)
-Ley Line/Magic Energy Mutation. There are several examples of mutation because of Ley Line energy. This would be more customized (compared to the charts I've seen in the book)
Necrite
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Necrite »

Lots of interesting suggestions all around - Thanks all.

For the Grackle Tooth, the suggestion of a PFRPG Mercenary Warrior looks perfect. Survival and combat skills, but no High-tech skills, nor cybernetics or other forms of augmentation is exactly what I wanted.

enhancer wrote: If all you wanted was TK-Force Field, there are two Psynetics that might be just what the doctor ordered. There is TK-Force Field Auto-Defense, which works automatically(whether you want it or not), and provides 20 M.D.C per level.

I wrote up the background and basic abilities for the Vagabond character without referencing the books, then went to the books to find what I needed to make them. THIS is far closer to my intended ability than the regular TK Force Field.
I forgot to look up the psynetics when I got home yesterday, and I'm back at work now. I'll have to remember to check it out, because that may be just what I needed.
I hadn't wanted to use augmentation, but rather have it natural, inborn powers, but I can either tweak the background or fudge the ability a bit to make it work.

You could also just give the Vagabond the Force Field superpower via Rifts Conversion Book, but that is WAY more powerful, could be destabilizing depending on your game.

I knew I saw Superpowered Vagabonds somewhere, and I thought it was CB1, but I couldn't find them. I'll have to check again, I may be able to get the abilities I want as Super Powers instead.
Necrite
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Necrite »

enhancer wrote:Check out the CB1 page 43. It specifically talks about Vagabonds with superpowers in one part.

Yep, I did find that on my own eventually. I think I've got the basics figured out for these two. Thanks again to everyone!

Return to “Rifts®”