Physical training; can they pass stat cap?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dobergirl
Wanderer

Physical training; can they pass stat cap?

Unread post by Dobergirl »

I have to ask. Physical Training is about people pushing themselves past normal limits, right? However, Heroes state that SPD 30 is max for normal humans usually. Would physical training with speed focus be able to pass the 30 SPD cap though?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Physical training; can they pass stat cap?

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Unless officially noted someplace in the category description, 30 is the max. I don't have my book handy, so I am unaware if Physical Training makes an exception to the rule.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Physical Training heroes aren't normal humans, I don't see where that rule capping stats for normal humans applies to them. They already have other superhuman stats not available to normal humans to justify them not being subject to that rule.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

outside of the chart where does it state that there is a stat cap?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Necrite
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Necrite »

HU2, pp 15-16:
Attributes beyond 30
ME, IQ, MA, and PB are normally maxed out at 30 for mortals. Bonuses do not increase should the character have a number higher than thirty; the only exception might be a god and aliens.
PS: Some characters will acquire a PB attribute beyond the limits of the bonus chart. Occasionally,even normal, albeit exceptional, humans can also exceed a PS of 30. In these cases, the damage bonus for a PS beyond 30 continues to accumulate at a rate of +1 per each additional point.
PP: The bonuses to strike, parry, and dodge stop at 30. But for every four PP points beyond 30, the character gets a bonus on his initiative roll.
PE: The bonus to save vs poison and magic stops at 30, but the percentage to save vs coma continues at an increment of one point per each additional point beyond 30%.
Spd: Most ordinary humans never exceed 30, however, superhumans, cyborgs, aliens and others may acheive mind boggling running speeds.

While I recall seeing a cap of 30 elsewhere, nothing in HU indicates that a cap exists here. While bonuses don't accumulate for over 30 values in ME, IQ, MA and PB, they do for other stats, and nothing implies that the stats are capped - just that it's pointless to go higher (except maybe as a buffer againts stat loss).
Not only does it say stats can go over 30, at the very least it confirms that normal non-supers can exceed 30 in PS.

I would say that any character that can exceed 30 off base rolls, Skills, and bonuses from Power Category should be allowed that total.

In specific response to the OP: The book says MOST ordinary humans will not exceed 30. Which means some do. Even if Physical Training characters are ordinary, it's still OK, as long as more than 50% of the world's population remains at or below Spd 30.

One last edit:
Assuming average rolls on all dice, 3d6 Spd gives 10.5
Then a Physical Training character adds six physical skills. Assuming that Athletics and Running are picked, that adds another 3.5 and 10, respectively.
Then a focus on Agility and Speed gives a 3d6+10 bonus, so that's another 20.5.
Right there, you've got 44.5 Spd. Your minimum value would be 21, and that's assuming all ones. If you rolled max on every die, including the two bonus dice, you'd have 70.
With a range like that, I can't imagine that a cap of 30 was intended for this power category.
"I have to applaud you for doing all that math :D" - Nekira Sudacne
Dobergirl
Wanderer

Necrite wrote:HU2, pp 15-16:
Attributes beyond 30
ME, IQ, MA, and PB are normally maxed out at 30 for mortals. Bonuses do not increase should the character have a number higher than thirty; the only exception might be a god and aliens.
PS: Some characters will acquire a PB attribute beyond the limits of the bonus chart. Occasionally,even normal, albeit exceptional, humans can also exceed a PS of 30. In these cases, the damage bonus for a PS beyond 30 continues to accumulate at a rate of +1 per each additional point.
PP: The bonuses to strike, parry, and dodge stop at 30. But for every four PP points beyond 30, the character gets a bonus on his initiative roll.
PE: The bonus to save vs poison and magic stops at 30, but the percentage to save vs coma continues at an increment of one point per each additional point beyond 30%.
Spd: Most ordinary humans never exceed 30, however, superhumans, cyborgs, aliens and others may acheive mind boggling running speeds.

While I recall seeing a cap of 30 elsewhere, nothing in HU indicates that a cap exists here. While bonuses don't accumulate for over 30 values in ME, IQ, MA and PB, they do for other stats, and nothing implies that the stats are capped - just that it's pointless to go higher (except maybe as a buffer againts stat loss).
Not only does it say stats can go over 30, at the very least it confirms that normal non-supers can exceed 30 in PS.

I would say that any character that can exceed 30 off base rolls, Skills, and bonuses from Power Category should be allowed that total.

In specific response to the OP: The book says MOST ordinary humans will not exceed 30. Which means some do. Even if Physical Training characters are ordinary, it's still OK, as long as more than 50% of the world's population remains at or below Spd 30.

One last edit:
Assuming average rolls on all dice, 3d6 Spd gives 10.5
Then a Physical Training character adds six physical skills. Assuming that Athletics and Running are picked, that adds another 3.5 and 10, respectively.
Then a focus on Agility and Speed gives a 3d6+10 bonus, so that's another 20.5.
Right there, you've got 44.5 Spd. Your minimum value would be 21, and that's assuming all ones. If you rolled max on every die, including the two bonus dice, you'd have 70.
With a range like that, I can't imagine that a cap of 30 was intended for this power category.

Exactly my point Necrite, I got 17+5, then I had running too so that increased speed already to 30.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Physical trainers are "superhuman". They sure as heck are not "normal human".

This part here answers the topic starters original question:

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I think even normal humans should be able to have attributes past 30. "Most never exceed" doesn't mean "people can not exceed".

We could accurately say that "most humans never exceed IQ 11" and this would be statistically correct (doubting there are enough Super Sleuths or victims of the Gene Splicers in the world to falsify that)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

I think I saw somewhere that there is a stat cap for normal humans,in HU, but it is higher than 30. I could be mistaken though.

That said, a Physical Training Character gets the full super power Extraordinary (or even Superhuman) Physical Strength, complete with the stat bonuses. You can bet they are going to be able to have a PS higher than human limits.
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

Yes they can. At least for the physical abilities. Otherwise they are kind of wimpy.
Dobergirl
Wanderer

Okay thank you everyone, I have come to realize that yes, Physical Training should be able to pass the speed as they're not ordinary. I suppose by normal humans it would mean special training and hardware and such and the stat caps would make sense there, (why would hardware or super sleuth need super speedy running anyway?) but it'd probably depend on their style what power could pass what cap. Like, would it be possible for Natural Genius to get IQ more than 30, especially if rolled as a campaign villain?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

A Natural Genius would surpass the stat cap for IQ, I would think.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

I ask again where in the books does it give a hard cap to stats?
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Dobergirl
Wanderer

Damian Magecraft wrote:I ask again where in the books does it give a hard cap to stats?

On HU2 it's on the page 15, before the attribute bonus charts "Attributes beyond 30" tells caps for each stat and when it's relevant or not to pass them.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Dobergirl wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:I ask again where in the books does it give a hard cap to stats?

On HU2 it's on the page 15, before the attribute bonus charts "Attributes beyond 30" tells caps for each stat and when it's relevant or not to pass them.
With the exception of PP (and that; I think; is based on the concept that its not possible to generate a number higher than 50 [at least with data available at the time of the books printing]) there is no hard limit instituted. All the others are "soft" limits (limits that can be exceeded but do require certain parameters to be met first).
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Dobergirl wrote:On HU2 it's on the page 15, before the attribute bonus charts "Attributes beyond 30" tells caps for each stat and when it's relevant or not to pass them.
Doesn't HU2 still have that whole 'compatible with TMNT' statement? TMNT has extended attribute tables :D
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Dobergirl
Wanderer

Tor wrote:
Dobergirl wrote:On HU2 it's on the page 15, before the attribute bonus charts "Attributes beyond 30" tells caps for each stat and when it's relevant or not to pass them.
Doesn't HU2 still have that whole 'compatible with TMNT' statement? TMNT has extended attribute tables :D

TMNT has totally different rules in terms of what stats do too (SPD gives dodge bonuses for instance, ME doesn't save against insanity, etc.) and shouldn't probably be used in Heroes context unless you replace MANY things with TMNT stuff. (And I'd highly recommend against that)
Nightmask
Palladin

Dobergirl wrote:
Tor wrote:

TMNT has totally different rules in terms of what stats do too (SPD gives dodge bonuses for instance, ME doesn't save against insanity, etc.) and shouldn't probably be used in Heroes context unless you replace MANY things with TMNT stuff. (And I'd highly recommend against that)

I seem to remember that those dodge bonuses quickly exceeded the dodge bonuses of the super-powers that actually gave dodge bonuses as well. Not much reason for Extraordinary Speed if you're looking for dodge bonuses when you could pump up your Speed stat and have better.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Dobergirl
Wanderer

Nightmask wrote:
Dobergirl wrote:
Tor wrote:

I seem to remember that those dodge bonuses quickly exceeded the dodge bonuses of the super-powers that actually gave dodge bonuses as well. Not much reason for Extraordinary Speed if you're looking for dodge bonuses when you could pump up your Speed stat and have better.

Yes, if going by TMNT attributes, Dobergirl would have 11+ dodge already at level 1 and without any super powers of dodging or something. :shock:
Nightmask
Palladin

Dobergirl wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Dobergirl wrote:
Tor wrote:

Yes, if going by TMNT attributes, Dobergirl would have 11+ dodge already at level 1 and without any super powers of dodging or something. :shock:

Which is probably why that never made it into the other settings. Someone willing to do a lot of dodging using the TMNT rules and a high speed stat would be almost impossible to hit.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:

Compatible doesnt mean uses the same rules though. Palladium Fantasy is 'compatible' with Rifts.....but they have different magic systems....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

While I don't have HU with me at the moment I can only recall one instance of a 30 cap on attributes and that is the exploding dice rule but I don't know if that rule applies to HU.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Slight001 wrote:While I don't have HU with me at the moment I can only recall one instance of a 30 cap on attributes and that is the exploding dice rule but I don't know if that rule applies to HU.
it does.
HU2 pg 15
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Lost Seraph wrote:PF's 2nd Ed magic system is the same as Rifts. You spend PPE and your spell goes off. MDC spells convert to SDC 1 for 1, and you use the dominant game description for them (ie Fire Bolt works as per the Palladium Fantasy description when you play PF, or as per the Rifts description when you play Rifts).

Except that PF uses 'slow casting' and Rifts uses 'fast casting'......
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

eliakon wrote:
Lost Seraph wrote:PF's 2nd Ed magic system is the same as Rifts. You spend PPE and your spell goes off. MDC spells convert to SDC 1 for 1, and you use the dominant game description for them (ie Fire Bolt works as per the Palladium Fantasy description when you play PF, or as per the Rifts description when you play Rifts).

The RUE casting rules are offered up as official "optional" rules in MoM.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
eliakon wrote:

The RUE casting rules are offered up as official "optional" rules in MoM.

Yes, but that still points out that the systems are CLOSE not EXACT. Eg each line has its own unique changes to fit the game as written.....

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”