Great Evils?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Great Evils?

Unread post by eliakon »

Ozeo wrote:Does anyone remember off where the long passage in the books are, for the great evils that are predicted by the psychics of the world? The one that describes the 5? I can't seem to find it for the life of me!

Thanks!

Rifts Mechanoids
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

And by and large almost never mentioned again in 20 years. Uggg... now I feel old. Rifts Mechanoids really DID come out in 1992?

I think the prophecy pops up.. maybe 4 times since then. Usually as "We thought _______ filled ______ part, but we're not so sure" type thing.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Eliakon has it right, the most comprehensive mention is in Rifts Mechanoids, and there is a callback to it in the Xiticix book. Those are the only 2 references I can think of offhand.

I remember that my personal interpretation was that there were actually 13 dangers. The 9(?) demons were all the different alien intelligences active on rifts earth (the horseman only counted as one as the main danger was that they would be able to merge into the 'Apocalypse demon'), and the 4 dangers were in actuality 4 independent 'devouring hordes'. (Mechanoids, Xitixic, Vampires, and ___?___).
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I am hoping Megaverse in Flames will continue the prophecy. I would like to add that there was mention of it in Psyscape under the entry for the Grey Seers.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Necrite
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Necrite »

I thought it was mentioned somewhere in the Siege on Tolkeen books, too. Probably book 2, because it was the Daemonix I remember seeing mentioned as one.
"I have to applaud you for doing all that math :D" - Nekira Sudacne
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Necrite's onto something. I recall there being an NPC in one of the SoT sourcebooks who is aware of these prophecies. If we could track every reference (including a proper title to go by) starting from SB2, this would be good.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

It's popped up a line here or there in a few books, but like I said when it does it's usually referenced in the sort of thing like "Well we thought the mechinoids were one of the swarms, but they were taken out by Hagan and a group of PC's so that's probably not it... is it the Xits? Is it the Demons? Bla bla bla" and then that's it. A sentence. Two or three maybe in an entire book. Then it doesn't pop up for 5 to 10 books. lol

It's kinda hard to believe that was 20 years ago.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Isn't there something about this in the Under Sea's book? I seem to recall a doom prophesy in that one... something about the Earth splitting open into one giant super rift... or something like that.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The prophecy in Underseas is I think only pertaining to how to defeat the Lord of the Deep.

I don't recall a giant super-rift, I think Atlantis mentioned that happened as a result of the True Atlanteans' experiments, and closing it is what eventually caused the continent to disappear.

Styphon can also make a giant super-rift :) I think there's also a Greatest Artifact weapon held by Foulseed (Nightlands) which can open one of those.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®”