Sooo then. Is Heroes of the Megaverse just HU in Rifts?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Sooo then. Is Heroes of the Megaverse just HU in Rifts?

Unread post by cyberdon »

... ...
wyrmraker
Hero

Re: Sooo then. Is Heroes of the Megaverse just HU in Rifts?

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Not quite. The individual powers in Heroes of the Megaverse don't quite stack up to their analagous powers in HU2. They are, however, the super-powered equivalent to the Cosmo-Knight, for the most part.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Basicly take the template of a Cosmo-kannigit, then give it a regieme of blood-doping and steroids, then throw in some powdered munchkin, and you pretty much have 'Heros of the Multi... -ahem- MEGAverse!' :roll:

Yeah... I kind left it to gather dust on the shelf at the only store in Toronto that sells PBooks stuff... saw it discounted not more than 2 months later at a 30% loss at same store (untouched and 2 months worth of dust on it).
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I'm seeing HotM is more....standing outside the established settings book and a part of them all book.

It is more a sourcebook for all the settings then one of them.

However, would not allow the item HotM to be used unless the campaign is world or dimension shaking in it's scope.

Otherwise, the random powers list would be fine is all the settings as alternate/optional powers for "Heros".
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I'm seeing HotM is more....standing outside the established settings book and a part of them all book.

It is more a sourcebook for all the settings then one of them.

However, would not allow the item HotM to be used unless the campaign is world or dimension shaking in it's scope.

Otherwise, the random powers list would be fine is all the settings as alternate/optional powers for "Heros".
OMFG! I actually agree with Drewkitty! It must be a sign of the coming apocalypse! :lol: :wink: Honestly I enjoy the hell out of it. But... To each their own.
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

It's like a sadder, weaker, kind of pathetic little brother to HU.

I thought it was a complete waste of money, but I suppose if you got your name in it, it was worth buying.
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by cyberdon »

Ever since watching The Avengers, I don't worry as much about balance anymore.

If I'm writing mine own adventures, I can make it work. :)
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Its a book about The Book of Heroes a cosmic artifact that flies through space (and time!) similar to the cosmic cube and grants fantastical abilities to the person who finds it (who is always a hero). It also, is an encyclopedia of all of the greatest heroes in the megaverse and you can read about every single hero in the book despite the fact that its only about the size of a paper back. You simply read until you've read enough, then close it and reopen while looking up another hero. The book itself has an amazing range of abilities and powers, including the ability to create a guardian for the one who carries it... so its sort of like... MIGHTY MAX in a lot of ways.

However, once the intrepid young hero has learned their lesson, vanquished their particular evil, or done what they need to do the book "leaves" under its own power (sometimes in a dramatic fashion, other times they just can't find it anymore). It RARELY (as in close to never) powers up "super tough guys" and tends to beef up people with super-heroic qualities who lack the physical abilities to match their values (a lot like Steve Rodgers, or again, Mighty Max in that regard). When the book leaves, they've learned their powers and remain great heroes, their name now forever recorded in the book so they might help/inspire the next guy.

Alternatively, despite being slammed as "crappier than HU" from what I've read (in my opinion) the write ups for the powers are much more well-written and balanced. Not weaker, just more well-thought out. More organized, and more clear. It is however, less extensive. For instance, I do not think it has ice powers in it, but it has all of the other tropes (and it even may have ice control).

There are 102 powers in the book, each marked with a percentile so if you want to use it to randomly roll superpowers for mutant humans or monsters than its a great resource too.

That said, in my opinion he who holds the book of heroes is more than a match for any Cosmo Knight, or at least he should be. It would kind of be like pitching Captain Marvel against Superman. I mean, Captain Marvel is my fanpick, but lets face it... its Superman... and the guy with the book of heroes, he's Palladium's Superman. He might not always be able to fly faster than the speed of light, but he can have a range of very diverse abilities that put him head and shoulders above a Cosmo Knight. Plus, the book picks the best there is and then makes them better. The Cosmic Forge picks appropriate candidates and removes aspects (memories, etc) that are not essential to their performance and duties.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I say we pit this book against that cool book of evil in the back of Shadows of Light.

I am also reminded of this game Makai Kingdom where the main character is an evil overlord who got transformed into a book. He was a boss I fought on my PSP port of Disgaea 2.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I have the book, and as i was reading this thread, i was skimming through the book......is it me, or does some of these powers seem borderline munchkin
The Dragon Has Spoken
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Powers can't be munchkin, they're just statistics. Munchkin doesn't even have a sensible definition, let's skip out on using it. Some things in Rifts are powerful.

Glitter Boys are the heart and soul of Rifts, Kev was originally going to name it "Boomers" after them, and they massively overpowered pretty much everything else from the get-go. Even worse if piloted by an MDC guy since they don't have the 'get'm while they're stretching' vulnerability to the same level.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

i use super powers a lot in rifts. hardly game unbalancing in a game with no game balance. most can be used as written others require a little modifying but overall super powers should have their place in rifts earth.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Snake Eyes wrote:I have the book, and as i was reading this thread, i was skimming through the book......is it me, or does some of these powers seem borderline munchkin

I agree with Tor but I also agree with you in essence of what you are saying. A lot of the powers in the Book of Heroes are excessively powerful. This is because Super Powers are excessively powerful and somwhat rare. Its also why supers are worth more on the Splynn Dimensional Slave Market than Godlings or Demigods. At least that is my understanding of it (as per Rifts: Atlantis). It's also the reason that as a general rule I do not allow super-powered characters into my game. I like my players to think and super-powers make it a little too easy for the players to knock things down. Yet almost ironically, I gave everyone in the game I'm currently running super powers, but they are designed as role-playing challenges more than "free powers" and not likely to be permanent.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Tor wrote:Snip....Powers can't be munchkin, they're just statistics. Munchkin doesn't even have a sensible definition, let's skip out on using it. Some things in Rifts are powerful.

I sometimes use 'munchkin' too loosely, but i agree its used too much.
The Dragon Has Spoken
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I can understand not wanting to use the term 'Munchkin' with any sort of lightness, but I have a flawless example from a previous party. Note that I was not the GM (who I maintain to this day was a complete moron).
One guy played a human Tundra Ranger, I played a light 'borg, the GM's pc/npc was a Shifter. The last guy saw what we were playing, and pulled out a Godling Gunfighter.
That is my definition of a munchkin.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

I'm sticking with my definition of a munchkin being an immature power gamer. A godling gunfighter would be a decent character in a game where the average pc power level was significantly higher. His immaturity was in trying to overshadow the other players.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi

Return to “Rifts®”