Infiltration

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Infiltration

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

One of my all-time favorite types of games to play, a game about infiltrating a town, region or instillation is as easy or as tough as your GM wants it to be (as with most things, clearly). I've played in several of these and over the years i've seen a lot of different ways to get things done; from disabling electronic security to mundanely sneaking past sentries there are a lot of options.

So, taking magic and psionics out of the toolbox so to speak, how would you like to run these kinds of adventures?

As a player

As a GM

Do you find it to be easier as a group or a single PC?

When running/playing a game like this, how have you dealt with players getting caught?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Infiltration

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

it really depends more on the party level than the number of party members. if everyone is first level and only has 30% on their prowl skill...yea it's not likely to happen.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Pretty sure gear (like naruni stealth armor), skill bonuses (OCC and IQ) and environment (distance, cover of darkness) can all affect a Prowl roll and make it better than 30%.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Alrik Vas wrote:Pretty sure gear (like naruni stealth armor), skill bonuses (OCC and IQ) and environment (distance, cover of darkness) can all affect a Prowl roll and make it better than 30%.

They sure do. IF the enitre party takes those OCC's and has that gear. in my experiance, there's never been more than one PC in a group that does.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Alrik Vas
Knight

Well...it's a game revolving around the idea...if you've ever done it before you know you make characters who have a chance of pulling it off, right?

If the game style isn't interesting, that's one thing. Though if you agree to play, wouldn't you make a character that could pull it off?

flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Alrik Vas wrote:So, taking magic and psionics out of the toolbox so to speak, how would you like to run these kinds of adventures?

Well, without magic and psionics, there are really only two options:
1. be sneaky (use prowl or disguise or whatever else is appropriate)
2. cause a distraction and then be sneaky.

Once you allow magic and/or psionics, your options become greatly increased.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Alrik Vas wrote:Well...it's a game revolving around the idea...if you've ever done it before you know you make characters who have a chance of pulling it off, right?

If the game style isn't interesting, that's one thing. Though if you agree to play, wouldn't you make a character that could pull it off?

I would, sure, but i've known plenty of players who make whatever they feel like then expect the GM to make it work anyway :-| :frust:

Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I really hate those adventures - too dependent on dice rolls.
I played a N&SS game last week where I had to infiltrate a complex and regardless of how well we planned everything, the dice gods screwed us over. Virtually every skill check I attempted to make (which was over 30 skills that game) resulted in a roll of the high 90s. It made my character look like a chump and was more frustrating than fun.
sirkermittsg
Explorer

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

I love skill based games. so infiltration sounds fun. I try to taylor my character to the game and to fit with the group. I often create chars that are tech kind of guys as a result (a safe cracker would be up my alley). for some reason lots of folks pick mages or psionics....neither of which really appeals to me.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

note that inflitration doesn't have to mean prowl and such..

'roleplay', as in the characters pretending to be something innocuous like traders or refugees, or what have could also work. this could be as simple as just using false names to as complex building entire false backgrounds.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

I actually DISLIKE skill based games more than almost anything, because skill based games are actual skill-check based games, nearly entirely dependent on the roll, and considering 50% is a good skill percentage for most 'hard' skills in Palladium at early levels, it tends to just be a lot of unnecessary failure.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Eashamahel wrote:I actually DISLIKE skill based games more than almost anything, because skill based games are actual skill-check based games, nearly entirely dependent on the roll, and considering 50% is a good skill percentage for most 'hard' skills in Palladium at early levels, it tends to just be a lot of unnecessary failure.

It depends on how the GM plays it. Most GM's that I've played with would usually decide how successful you were by your description of what you were doing. No dice were involved. Of course, you had to have the required skill, otherwise you were very likely to fail. But the actual skill level almost never made a difference.

More often, skills would come into play like this:
GM: that's what you're going to do?
Player: yup.
GM: do you have skill X?
Player: yes, why?
GM: since you have skill X, you'd know that *something pertinent*. Do you still what to do it?
Player: oh. hmm...no I guess I'll do this instead...

Of course if you didn't have the pertinent skill, then you wouldn't get any warning from the GM if you were about to do something stupid.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Eashamahel wrote:I actually DISLIKE skill based games more than almost anything, because skill based games are actual skill-check based games, nearly entirely dependent on the roll, and considering 50% is a good skill percentage for most 'hard' skills in Palladium at early levels, it tends to just be a lot of unnecessary failure.

You don't actually have to roll the dice every time you use a skill.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Indeed, and I most often do not have people rolling their skill checks in simple situations (ie. I take the weekend and fix the truck), but I have certainly played with people in the past who just used the system, so roll for a skill whenever you want to use it.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Alrik Vas wrote:Well...it's a game revolving around the idea...if you've ever done it before you know you make characters who have a chance of pulling it off, right?

Not always. I have seen players make characters that have no stealth at all when the whole concept of the game is based around it. Sometimes it is because they think they can force the game into the direction they want rather than the GM's grand idea. Other times, they do it to specifically break the game.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

glitterboy2098 wrote:note that inflitration doesn't have to mean prowl and such..

'roleplay', as in the characters pretending to be something innocuous like traders or refugees, or what have could also work. this could be as simple as just using false names to as complex building entire false backgrounds.

This exactly. As they say, there is more than one way to accomplish a goal.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!

Return to “Rifts®”