How Do You: Robotech's Wonderful World of What the Crap?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

How Do You: Robotech's Wonderful World of What the Crap?

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Okay, so a lot of discussion lately has been on the source material and how it interacts (or clearly doesn't) with Robotech itself.

My question to you all is, do you just make a million changes that make sense to you, do you try to stay true to the original material and convert it your own way, or do you run it strictly by book print?

Personally, when I played Robotech back when, we went by the book (or at least our understanding of it, we were pretty young and new to RPG's at the time). Now I'm not so sure what I would do, and oddly enough I'm considering a Robotech game for the first time in years.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Re: How Do You: Robotech's Wonderful World of What the Crap?

Unread post by mech798 »

What our group did, (wow, talk about long ago), was just assume that the OSM was really and truly a movie-- a historical docudrama put out long after teh events, and of varying degrees of realiability-- Macross was "the history channel" take really trying to focus on what happened, and the later two were done with less attention to detail. That allowed us to handwave some of the odder parts away as director fiat (IE: The SC had a lot of problems including an over aggressive leadership, but to keep the series on its time frame they simplified all that and made certain that the actor playing Leonard had the idiot ball at all times).
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Alrik Vas wrote:My question to you all is, do you just make a million changes that make sense to you, do you try to stay true to the original material and convert it your own way, or do you run it strictly by book print?

My habit, and indeed what got me into translating Japanese publications in the first place, is to correct the RPG's contents such that they're as true to the original source material as is possible with the Palladium system. I first did this for the old Macross II RPG which Palladium did back in the mid-90s, and have since been collaborating with jaymz to make Macross stats and Robotech errata for 2E.

To me, it was always pretty obvious that both Macross II's RPG and 1st Ed. Robotech were more a shot in the dark than an accurate reflection of the show's contents, and 2nd Ed. Robotech ain't much better, so when I start a review of a book, I tend to wade in with a copious supply of red ink pens and correct the hell out of them. In the end, I typically end up with something that accurately reflects the original show AND makes a decent amount of in-game sense. My changes usually end up increasing the utility and endurance of the mecha when applied to RT, which has a lot of pants-on-head stupidity and mistakes in its official specs as well.

Some of my edits have provoked some interesting discussion on their own...
Last edited by Seto Kaiba on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Considering the source material was not written with an eye towards decades of fan nitpicking and ironclad posterity, and is thus more full of holes than a block of Swiss Cheese, smoothing over the inconsistencies with a bit of commonsense to patch up the small ones and homebrewed fan-material to plug the larger becomes a necessity.
For the most part, though, players in my experience have wanted to focus on the here-and-now, and cinematic mecha combat, rather than long expository monologue about the respective military organization rank TOEs, policies, or whatever. Their attention was mainly on "Can we have that?" or "Can we blow that up?" :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

kaiba, I'm interested in the work you and Jaymz have been doing, if you're willing to discuss/share.

As far as adjustments to the RPG material, I've always been a fan of things blowing up easier than harder. I'll think about how i want to do it, i guess.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Alrik Vas wrote:My question to you all is, do you just make a million changes that make sense to you, do you try to stay true to the original material and convert it your own way, or do you run it strictly by book print?

I've added a realistic spin to my Robotech universe and toss out all the immature anime crap. With such a realistic appoach there have been a lot of changes.

This has apparently worked because my play by post robotech game has been running strong for over seven years now and despite some individuals claims (i.e I haven't seen any cold hard proof that someone else has ran a longer game) it is probably the longest running PBP Robotech game.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

I don't worry about the technical details. I worry about making the game fun and interesting for the players and myself. Heck half of my players only watched the show sporadically. They just like RPG's and mecha is a bonus.
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Alrik Vas wrote:kaiba, I'm interested in the work you and Jaymz have been doing, if you're willing to discuss/share.

As far as adjustments to the RPG material, I've always been a fan of things blowing up easier than harder. I'll think about how i want to do it, i guess.

I'll have to go digging for a link, since that's obviously not the sort of thing I can post here due to rules and all. I tend to go whole hog for accuracy to canon and anime, since my players are mostly die-hard fans and all.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”