Mysteries of Magic Question

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Amberjack
Explorer

Mysteries of Magic Question

Unread post by Amberjack »

While looking through my copy I noticed that Cloud of Slumber is listed as both a Second level and a Seventh level wizard spell, which is it or was one supposed to be something else.

Sorry if this has been addressed already.

Thanks all.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Mysteries of Magic Question

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

as the general rule is that an invocational equivilent of a warlock spell is always a higher level variant of the warlock spell, 7 is almost certaintly the correct level.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Yeah, usually when there are two spell levels listed, one is for a specific school of magic which gets the spell at a lower level and the higher level listed is to learn the spell as a general invocation.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

As a Elemental spell CoS is L2.
Following the TtGD spell variants rules, spells converted between specialty magic (like elemental and mirror magics along with others) and common magic (invocations like what a wizard (or LLW) use) adds +5 levels to the spell (along with raising the PPE cost by approximately +50%).
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Yeah but if its a seventh level spell for wizards, then why is it one of the commons spells that all
wizards apprentice are taught. Its a seventh level offensive spell? Can't learn the 6th level fireball
as a common spell, but a 7th level cloud of slumber :-? . Seems to me this an unnecessary rule
change for a spell that was "exclusive" to Palladium fantasy wizard. First addition rules list it as an elemental spells listed under the wizard section as spell magic that mimics certain elemental magic. Seems to me Kevin merely forgot to write this spell in PFRPG rule book, then includes in Mysteries of Magic then he and the editors for whatever reason never catch the spell is listed twice (page 82 as a first level and page 86 as a 7th, since all wizard start with decipher magic, sense magic, globe of daylight (first level) and tongues (6th level) it makes sense that cloud is supposed to be a first level one.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Because the PF main book is almost 20 years old. Before any of the spell creation rules were written. :roll:

As to why students are taught the CoS instead of a Fire Ball.....[speculation]Maybe cause the worst the student can do with a miscast CoS is that people/animals are made to sleep. Not 'Burn down the Tower/House/Castle with a miscast spell.[/speculation]
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Reagren Wright wrote:Yeah but if its a seventh level spell for wizards, then why is it one of the commons spells that all
wizards apprentice are taught. Its a seventh level offensive spell? Can't learn the 6th level fireball
as a common spell, but a 7th level cloud of slumber :-? . Seems to me this an unnecessary rule
change for a spell that was "exclusive" to Palladium fantasy wizard. First addition rules list it as an elemental spells listed under the wizard section as spell magic that mimics certain elemental magic. Seems to me Kevin merely forgot to write this spell in PFRPG rule book, then includes in Mysteries of Magic then he and the editors for whatever reason never catch the spell is listed twice (page 82 as a first level and page 86 as a 7th, since all wizard start with decipher magic, sense magic, globe of daylight (first level) and tongues (6th level) it makes sense that cloud is supposed to be a first level one.

I think that since 2nd ed suffered a few copy paste type errors, and given the power of cloud of slumber (its a basically your dead if you fail spell) i can easily imagine it being moved to 7th level and the first level version being accidently copy pasted in and not being caught on the editors table.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

kiralon wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:Yeah but if its a seventh level spell for wizards, then why is it one of the commons spells that all

I think that since 2nd ed suffered a few copy paste type errors, and given the power of cloud of slumber (its a basically your dead if you fail spell) i can easily imagine it being moved to 7th level and the first level version being accidently copy pasted in and not being caught on the editors table.

This.

Btw, I so thought this post was going to read "where are 2 & 3?"
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

The Dark Elf wrote:Btw, I so thought this post was going to read "where are 2 & 3?"
That does seem to be the most often asked question with regard to MofM.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:Btw, I so thought this post was going to read "where are 2 & 3?"

There have been Rifts books getting in the way of them.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

There have been Rifts books getting in the way of them.
That is usually the case. Though it was mentioned in the weekly update that there was a spike in sales of PFRPG books this week, they probably still won't realize there is a demand for books for THIS game/setting.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

I would say it was simply a bunch of shoddy work by the editor and writers.

Like seriously where was a perfect chance to clarify a bunch of the rules and what not and they failed. Lots of the spells in the section listed as "new" appear in the core book.

Here is my review: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=108345&hilit=Detailed+review+of
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

URLeader Hobbes wrote:I would say it was simply a bunch of shoddy work by the editor and writers.

Like seriously where was a perfect chance to clarify a bunch of the rules and what not and they failed. Lots of the spells in the section listed as "new" appear in the core book.

Here is my review: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=108345&hilit=Detailed+review+of

Yeah, and I still stand by J Lionheart's response.

Of course, I've read reviews of it that made yours seem downright loving.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

It's a bit too powerful for a lower level spell though. and the fact that it's 7th level is kind of irrelevent. Wizards can be taught any level of spell at any time. There's nothing stopping someone from teaching your first level wizard Restore Life and Dimensional Portal except the difficulty of finding someone willing to give such valuble knowlage to a novice.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

It's a bit too powerful for a lower level spell though. and the fact that it's 7th level is kind of irrelevent. Wizards can be taught any level of spell at any time. There's nothing stopping someone from teaching your first level wizard Restore Life and Dimensional Portal except the difficulty of finding someone willing to give such valuble knowlage to a novice.

Exactly. Remember, in PB games "spell level" is supposed to be nothing more than an indicator of how common a spell is, and the power level/ppe cost of the spell itself, not the mage casting it.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”