How serious of a game do you run?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Snow Hawk
Explorer

How serious of a game do you run?

Unread post by Snow Hawk »

So on a scale from Star Wars to Spaceballs or Lord of the Rings to the Princess bride. How serious of a game do you all run? Do you try to be serious? Do your players derail you?

My games run kind of in the middle but on the Spaceballs side. That is mostly by design.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: How serious of a game do you run?

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Sin City with a splash of Highlander
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I guess it's fairly serious and gritty, character driven stories, but we break for frequent jokes and wise cracks (out of character, of course).
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I tend to run my campaigns like a TV series, most scenarios a somewhat to very seriously the occasional comic or light scenario to break it up. I like campaigns that develop their own mythos, think Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel or the Gargoyles animated series.

I have a hard time coming up with the comedy, ratcheting up the tension is comes pretty easy to me though.

Alrik Vas wrote:Sin City with a splash of Highlander

That is a cool combo, I have run a Highlander type but I don't think I could pull off the Sin City motif.
“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell”

- General Philip Henry Sheridan, U.S. Army 1865
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

For more on the serious side, with comedic asides. I think Firefly would be a good analog, though a little more serious. Though it varies game to game.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Mine are all written with deadly seriousness. However both myself and my group struggle not to joke if we see one.

I can usually (last night is a bad example) bring the elements back round to gaming proper however.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

The Dark Elf wrote:Mine are all written with deadly seriousness. However both myself and my group struggle not to joke if we see one.

I can usually (last night is a bad example) bring the elements back round to gaming proper however.

This tends to what happens in my group as well. I try to write all of my games as fairly (and quite deadly) serious but they somehow break down into a laugh fest somewhere.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

CS Special Forces wrote:A good game always has room for a little humor. :bandit:

I agree. My players tend to make their own humor so I very rarely write any into my campaigns.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Deadboy Dakka
Wanderer
Comment: I'll smite with my smiting stick!!!

Unread post by Deadboy Dakka »

I try to be serious, as does the mage. However the Larmac and Headhunter refuse to be, even in combat... Like picking fights with Shemarrians...
On the humor side, said fight did paint the forest a new color...
Uhh... Dragging of flesh and bone followed by a moan? Let's go examine the creepy sound.
With an automatic shotgun of course.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

I try to be as dark and grim as I can. I'm inspired by the Black Company series by Glen Cook along with a dose, or seven, of 40k...

Deadboy Dakka wrote:I try to be serious, as does the mage. However the Larmac and Headhunter refuse to be, even in combat... Like picking fights with Shemarrians...

Now you've got me wondering what color a Larmac's blood is...
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

I try to play the world straight but let some humor in. Other groups I've been in oscillate between epic quest and Monty Python.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Deadboy Dakka
Wanderer
Comment: I'll smite with my smiting stick!!!

Unread post by Deadboy Dakka »

Slight001 wrote:I try to be as dark and grim as I can. I'm inspired by the Black Company series by Glen Cook along with a dose, or seven, of 40k...

Deadboy Dakka wrote:I try to be serious, as does the mage. However the Larmac and Headhunter refuse to be, even in combat... Like picking fights with Shemarrians...

Now you've got me wondering what color a Larmac's blood is...

Nope, the headhunter got himself fragged, then the new Juicer got the whole party killed in the same session. The Larmac however got his arm blasted off and fixed by a medic using a cigarette and a KA-BAR...
Uhh... Dragging of flesh and bone followed by a moan? Let's go examine the creepy sound.
With an automatic shotgun of course.
McFacemelt
Wanderer
Comment: Now go away, or I will be forced to taunt you a second time.

Unread post by McFacemelt »

I try to be serious, but my PC's usually destroy any sense of seriousness a game of Rifts can have.

An example from my last session.

While driving in the middle of the night our PC's vehicle is randomly attacked by a herd of Tri Tops, eventually being run into and flipped off the road. After managing to survive the crash unscathed and climbing out of the vehicle all but one PC manages to take cover behind the vehicle and is met with another charging Tri Top only to opt out of his dodge and declares, "I punch the Tri Top."

Hard to be serious when MDC beings are involved.
I am and shall always be the GM who gives you what you want, only to make you wish you had wanted something else.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Yeah, Krull was pretty silly.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Our games are serious, but funny moments do happen.
Kind of like Leathal Weapon, Die Hard, Bad Boys etc.
We take the games serious, lots of action but there are those one liners that fit the situation perfectly.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Mine are serious campaigns, but humor always works its way in.
Kinda like 13th Warrior meets Beowulf meets Buckaroo Bonzai meets Your Highness!
Players tend to bring a lot of it in, but if things are running slow I'll throw something in as long as it helps the storyline or just makes everyone enjoy the game a little more.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

I plan serious storylines. My players make it comical. I've given up on epic storylines as it's always turning to one-liners and slapstick.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

It all depends on the the game and the players.
I have designed pure camp games that end up being played serious. (IE: I planned on it being Adam West and I got Christian Bale).
And I have designed pure gritty blood and guts horror (Think CoC) and gotten pure camp (Think Ghost Busters).
On the other hand I have also gotten exactly what I intended from games and players as well.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I shoot for Pulp Fiction, but often get Four Rooms. Lots of grim and gritty action with notes of black humor by intent, that ends up in slapstick and scatological jokes on accident.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I go for a mix of comedy and seriousness, just like real life. Think seriousness level of MASH. When characters are left to their own devices they can get a little zany, but when the mission is on, and people start getting hurt the fun's over.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Depends on both my mood as GM and characters that I'm running playing. Same with as player, but here lately I've been wanting to play in a bit more humorous game.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

Depends on the group. Sometimes I beat them down with no hope and it's not really fun for anyone, but it is an experience. Other times, it is so crazy that I'm surprised anything even gets done.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Grell wrote:I guess it's fairly serious and gritty, character driven stories, but we break for frequent jokes and wise cracks (out of character, of course).

Depends - sometimes a PC does something that really requires another PC to point out The Stupid.

Razzinold wrote:Our games are serious, but funny moments do happen.
Kind of like Leathal Weapon, Die Hard, Bad Boys etc.
We take the games serious, lots of action but there are those one liners that fit the situation perfectly.

Yup. Yeah, ours is middle-road as well, but if someone does something stuuuupid or can do a "cinematic/video game" maneuver, we'll cheese it.

If anything, we tend to take forever to get things 'done' b/c we do a fair bit of IC role-playing. We're serious during battle, but otherwise.. yeah - it can go anywhere except into campy or uber-dark/horror. We've had IC sexin's being written on the side (that was interesting watching one of the players get progressively redder), we've had lots of cinematic-moments (with various degrees of successful skill/combat checks), freaky stuff, yeah.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

Grell wrote:I guess it's fairly serious and gritty, character driven stories, but we break for frequent jokes and wise cracks (out of character, of course).

...ditto... 8-)
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

I have dismemberment, chainsaw enemas, rape, molestation, divorce, cheating lovers, etc. But of course I have NPCs who are just usually fun. One of them is a giant cyborg with enough strength to well destroy most characters in a hit. However he is a 20 something former military guy. he volunteered for a new cybernetic interface, soemthing went wrong and a once fairly bright young man is now reduced to mental retardation (IQ 5). He's fun and childlike but sometimes when certain things come up he remembers a bit of what he used to be, and he gets depressed. Honestly I just rolled really low for his IQ, and I knew he was going to be a cyborg so i took the stat and made it part of his story.
I also have a mutant hamster with an IQ stat of about 112 or so. Partial biped, no looks, partial hands, full speech size level 0. He is an angry genius who likes to ride the team cat in moments of frivolity that no one is supposed to see
Then I have his evil twin; mutant hamster but he has full looks, hands, biped but no speech and size level 0. So he looks like a 6" tall human with golden brown hair. I put all his points into psionics. he speaks through telepathy and messes with people's minds, driving them insane, mind trapping them in horrific situations,.. you know good times
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Hmmm Kentucky fried movie is my best answer.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
random_username
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.

Unread post by random_username »

All vaguely similar notions (via some old movies): Somewhere between Army of Darkness and Alien/Aliens with a dash of Ghostbusters tossed in (however avoid all contact with "Ghostbusters II" y'all have been warned - tends to seem like a waste of 2 hours afterwards). Though ultimately any humor tends to be spontaneous/improv whether amongst the players (possibly out of character) or semi-comical "oops" involving an NPC.
If something makes the RPG experience better that's great. If not don't use it.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>

Return to “G.M.s Forum”