Side project/game setting:A history of the Robotech universe

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Side project/game setting:A history of the Robotech universe

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Howdy all.
As we all know some people are prone to biting off more than they can Chew (or get they feeling when the finish it of thinking "Whats missing?") I'm at that point. I decided my Robotech universe needed a history..and certain races never really had any origins..so I tried my hand at that. Even did a pair of child stories you'd hear in that universe (they are works in progress)

So I had two questions:

1) is there any existing or planned effort to give a history and origin to the races of the robtech universe Prior to the Robtech masters?

2) has anyone attempted this feat? If so how far have you gone with it?

any constructive advice would be welcome.
Last edited by Rimmerdal on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: Side project/game setting:A history of the Robotech univ

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Rimmerdal wrote:1) is there any existing or planned effort to give a history and origin to the races of the robtech universe Prior to the Robtech masters?

Thus far, nothing official has been released on that front. Literally all we know is that, at some point in the distant past, the Haydonites made the Invid's first home world into the wasteland we saw in the Shadow Chronicles, which ultimately forced them to relocate to Optera... which they also ended up abandoning. There should be more forthcoming if the RTSC story arc is ever continued.

Rimmerdal wrote:2) has anyone attempted this feat? If so how far have you gone with it? [...]

A couple folks have, including the uRRG, but their lore is a bit out of date.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Rimmerdal
Knight

Hmmm I do have a habit stepping in the deep end. Guess I'll cross the "t"s and dot the "I"s on what have and keep at it. Surprised there have been no major efforts already.
taalismn wrote:

Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Rimmerdal wrote:Hmmm I do have a habit stepping in the deep end. Guess I'll cross the "t"s and dot the "I"s on what have and keep at it. Surprised there have been no major efforts already.

By all means... and I'm sure a lot of folks here would be very interested in your take on what happened in the Robotech universe's distant past.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

If you want some ideas check out the Robotech Novels by Jack McKinney(a pseudonym for Brian Daley and James Luceno). They were able to go into a lot more depth on the history of certain things and even places the show never did. They also did the Sentinels and some other books covering in between eras and their own conclusion to the saga.

Now none of that is in the current Harmony Gold "canon" but it is your game so make it what you want. ;)
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
Rimmerdal
Knight

Would be nice to see how Jack made the Perytons and managed to give the spherian and Karbaonarite a history. When I get the time I'll check them out too.
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

Okay I'll be brave...and truth is I've posted worse here so I have very little to lose....Try not to be unconstructive..this still a work in progress. ( I have not posted stats but some stuff does have stats.)

any opinions would be welcome.

During wars ages ago prior to the Robotech masters many now gone races (Dead or moved on no one is sure which) created weapons able to destroy entire worlds and even solar systems. One such weapon was the Blade of ages. Tales show a 'sword' that destroyed many worlds. So fearsome it was that the weapon was to be dismantled but in a string of odd events the weapon was lost and no records as to what it was were kept for fear it could be remade.

The standing theory is the weapon was a ship or large satellite. but no such vessel was found or even seen. The only real hints are found in Perytonian stories. a story which states "entire star systems and empires were left in ruin as it passed. the vast empire of the Drak'stral and the great Void lords were the first to fall to this weapon. Seeing it in use the Counsel of wizards ordered the weapons dismantling..." the rest is vague and highly dubious.

PC's are approached by there superiors/employers/Random NPC and offered a chance to find this 'Blade of ages' before remnants of the supposed Drak'stral empire does.

Ghost ship: The Boundless

A ship from an alien (now lost) culture roams the space lanes popping in and out of fold. Its origins are unknown and even the Masters and Invid have not been able to figure it out. More than a large number of Sentinel teams have been lost seeking it out. The reason is simple. The vessel is old one technology (or so believed) able to grant one power beyond imagination...wealth beyond counting....and secrets known to the oldest and most elder of the galaxy.

This vessel or the parts that still travels are a much sought after prize. those not seeking it tell tales of it or those seeking it.

Adventure hook:
PC's are in a station refueling and resting up. across from them a ship of unknown origin folds in and then as mysteriously as it appeared folds out. the station personnel and crews there are all a buzz. then over the stations comm a man speaks...

"Any who can find me that ship will be well rewarded. contact the frequency 1008.90 if interested."

No sooner than it airs 6 people in view the PC's are calling the frequency...

______________________________________________________________________________________

Drak'lith

Drak'lith are large creatures that are a cross between a spider/flea and a squid. Rumored to possess psychic powers and be virtually undetectable to sensors they have yet to be captured or photographed definitively. Most ships will hold to the belief that this beast is found in heavy gravity wells, asteroid fields and areas of space that are uninhabited.

Some stories attribute these are genetically made by some lost race as living weapons, others see them as a 'god-like power' and worship them but the most commonly known story is they are a species that survived the birth of the universe or it's from a part universe that is much harsher than this part. Curiously the creature is named after the Drak'skal a long lost race.

Space-lane traveling families often tell stories of these creatures to unruly children and around ships to new space travelers.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Drak'skal:
Ancient race

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare sieze the fire?

Tyger Tyger, William Blake

These creatures hail from the Time of the Infinite and are said to be extinct. Every now and then a hive or ship that is not of invid origin is found and claimed to be Drak'skal. Little is known aside from the stories told over fires or to unruly children at bed time. Ones involving large monstrous blood sucking spiders eating children who don't listen or stay up late.

What parents don't say is how there parents found these stories and there parents found these horrid tales. Most races among the sentinels know of them. Few know that many of these tales are from times long ago when the universe was smaller and much more dangerous. What little is known is most of them were destroyed by the Blade of ages according to the warrior-Wizards. Whether or not anything is true or they even exist..the Drak'skal are the true meaning of fear.

The praxians:
Calling them "Soul Stalkers" and believe they killed off the male population of there worlds. This forced them to resort Genetic engineering to give there race a chance to survive. Many praxians insist the loss of the males was not random. There was some sort of reason. One possibility was that the males praxia were said to possess certain potent Psychic prowess, Males were said to be Physically able to perform feats beyond normal praxians and wield weapons made of their soul. Today males born do not seem to possess any powers, but are genetically different enough that in a few generations may possess some level Psychic abilities and these males are not born on or among the younger blood of praxians. Only the old blood seem to have any hint of the male gene.

The Garudians:
the Garudians refer to them as "the darkest nightmares given life" or "Wraiths" In the beginning they were teachers, but some twist of events made the Garudians turn on them. Now they believe these "Wraiths" are gone and no longer a threat. None the less the stories persist to remind young Garudians that power is a privilege and should be properly wielded lest they become a 'Wraith'...a pale darker image of themselves.

Karbonarites:
and the Karbonarites claim they came to their world and killed off there mystics or Shaman as they called them. After a long string of attacks in some long lost legendary war these monsters left there world and never returned. Several artifacts and sites on there world have recently been unearthed showing some of there kind of painted images. the Images were odd symbols holding up a barrier or dome. around some bearlike figures with blue face paint.

Peryton
The Pertonyan name is Fel-marl or "Soul mage." there was little direct contact on the Home-world, but the Rogue Perytons did engage them in battle. Legend states the Drak'skal were defeated by a weapon of some other power. Many attribute this defeat to collective of races. this has some reasoning, most species lacking Psionics or magic have stories about them.
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

Also Added a few tales for the Zent and the children as well. Again they are not i there completed state....
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Volsung's Stand:
Historic location (Star system: Armada 1588 Core)
This is less a legend and more a tale of bravery for the Zentraedi. The great warrior and commander Volsung was the first clone soldier. He was alive and was largely responsible for the conquest of the Border space. this warrior also was responsible for the fall of many of the local worlds. Breetai and exdore both served under him and both recall his name fondly. Another that recalls his name is Dolza. Dolza was his greatest student and most promising replacement.

Volsung's stand is a planetary system a great and unknown vessel was about to destroy a planet under the empires protection. The ship a large odd vessel was a sun killer, and looked like a sun with planets around it. these planets were held in place with arms and all heavily armed.

The system at the time has Zor's ship and a part of his fleet in orbit. as the patrol fought the unknown invaders Zor and his fleet began to prepare to aid, but would arrive to late not having time to flee the great leader Volsung played every tactic and in the end managed to disable the enemy, but not before his escape was cut off.

Seeing no way out and not willing to allow this enemy to escape or threaten the empire; he guided his ship into the enemy warship sun and activated his fold system in overload...

The explosion was said to have been visible for light years..Today Volsung is revered by most Zentraedi as a hero and example of what it means to be zentraedi.

The Proud Warrior and the Soul Stalker
There was once A praxian warrior so skilled with weapons she could not be defeated. All her fellow warriors fell to her battle training. and yet her mentor would not bestow the proud warrior her place as warrior. The proud warrior asked why. and the mentor responded "you are not ready." Leaving her mentor she swore she to prove to him she was ready.

One day The Proud warrior was looking for a brave deed to prove herself to her mentor as she was exploring her world. She possessed the greatest martial skill among her class. None could match her and she felt she would need nothing else. To prove herself she would need a worthy foe or deed to accomplish to prove her readiness.

As she was traveling about the warrior spotted an ancient temple. Outside the temple sat an wounded Praxian and her grand daughter. The proud warrior stopped and asked why the two were sad and how the warrior was wounded so. The old Praxian Warrior explained to her that the youngest grandchild was taken by some sort of shadowy creature in the temple and she could do nothing to stop it.

The Proud warrior asked what kind and when the wounded warrior told her it was a Soul Stalker she laughed. there was no such things as those. They were defeated long ago in battle with her ancestors. The proud warrior would have told them...had the Soul Stalker not attempted to take the second Grand daughter.

Seeing the foul creature the warrior struck a mighty impact, but her weapon would not pierce its skin, her shield would not stun the Soul Stalker. For the creature was darkness itself, a living shadow unharmed by material weapons. The proud, distraught warrior fought with the beast for many hours..only when the sun rose did the Soul Stalker leave writhing in pain.

She asked the Wounded warrior if the creature always did that when the sun rose. The Wounded warrior said it did..but asked why that was important. The Soul stalker was too powerful to hold and their were no doors to lock it out..For even if it could be locked the creature could dig into the earth. The proud Warrior did not know what to do..and the Soul stalker saw this. looking out from the shadows it mocked the warrior..

"Are you afraid of the dark, Little Praxian? Am I too much for such a 'great' warrior as you?" and laughed. As he did the warrior by reflex held up her shield a sliver of light reflected off her shield and at the Soul stalker...sending it fleeing further in the temple.

This gave the proud warrior an idea. Covering the first shield she told her Wounded comrade to reveal it only when she said to. If the creature would flee from the light..she would bring the light to it. she gathered all the shields she could find an polished them so they would reflect the light of the sun. Going into the temple with the shields she placed each so they would reflect the light of the sun to the next. Finding the home of the Soul stalker was easy..the cries of help from the young praxian lead her there.

The Soul stalker lived deep with in the temple. It took many shields but the warrior found some from the fallen praxians in the temple. Thanking her sisters with a silent prayer and offering she took there shields and placed about so the room. Seeing the sleeping soul stalker she called out to it and challenged it..

""What are you? afraid of a 'little' praxian? Am I too great a warrior for you to face in battle?" the enraged soul stalker charged her and the proud warrior dodged..getting behind it. Blocking it from the only door out of the room. For the warrior had chosen her terrain carefully..leaving the soul stalker no escape from its fate..

She yelled to the Wounded warrior to unveil the first shield. The light bounced from shield to shield lighting the temple as bright as day..the Soul stalker having no where to run was destroyed by the light and the proud warrior learned it was not the ability to wield a weapon that was her greatest strength, but the ability to understand the world around her.

________________________________________________________________________________
Senda's Tale (or the story of how sentient life came to be)
Legendary being/event
This being was one the Universes oldest and wisest creatures. When the universe was born Senda was alone and no life had sprung up. After long and introspective explorations of the newly born universe she found life in many places. but none were like her, none aware..they were simple, non-sentient life.

Senda found more and more life..like the first she found none had awareness.These lifeforms were all different..each molded by their world and how they were formed.

While traveling she found a great rift..a spot that pulled objects in and she observed as life was consumed by it. this rift however was not with out will. she started sense a darkness within it. This nameless darkness had intended to feed and expand. Sensing the universe's demise she looked upon the creature and saw something familiar..something she knew Deep down. This rift was her loneliness given form she knew it was a part of her she did not wish to have..but it must be part of her lest it destroy all life.

instead of letting it consume she sealed the rift and sent her consciences to all the life she found..giving them sentience. and thus she would never be alone again.
taalismn wrote:

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

INteresting...

I myself have done a more in depth backstory but is more overarching than detailed. Also I tied mine into already existing properties. I have incorporated The Mechnoids, Manhunter, Macross II-verse and Macross Proper-verse into a overall line that goes well into the past and into the 22nd century
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

Actually, me too.

Currently, I intend to merge & incorporate elements of Rifts Phaseworld books (3 Galaxies / Anvil Galaxy / Fleets of 3 Galaxies / Thundercloud Galaxy) into my tentative project ... Robotech: Galaxy which will include Tyrolian (pre-Robotech era) expansion & colonisation to deep space & subsequent rise of Robotech Imperium & subjugation of known civilisations in these galaxies by the Robotech Empire.

OTOH, I am using Mechanoids as the basis for Haydonite ancestors (tentatively named Robotech: Children of the Shadow) and juxtaposing with Macross OSM's Protoculture civilisation & backstory too as a template for pre Tyrolian ascendancy.

Once I completed the RT:CotS, then I am planning to include Gallforce (Eternal Story / Destruction / Stardust War) storyline that explained the conflict between Solnoid (ancestors of the Praxians) vs Paranoid (a distant Invid ancestor race that rejects FoL and ally of the Shadow) and dark forces that manipulated behind the scene events of the said conflict. Tentatively called Robotech: CotS series 1, Praxis: Rise & Fall of Solnoid Empire.

Then I will move on to Robotech: CotS - series 2, Peryton: Spacetime Destruction & Creation using the fantastical elements of SDC: Orguss as a major backstory for explaining the Perytonian "curse". Hint: the Mu (future robotic & mechanoid forces that rampaged the alternate Earth in SDC Orguss) will be explained as the far-future version descendant of Children of the Shadow.

As for Macross II, I will be bridging MII into Robotech-verse. In actuality, instead of using Mac DYRL as the main continuity to Macross II events, I'm using Robotech instead. Marduk will be reworked as a descendant from the long forgotten Disciple of Zor's faction.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

Art book 3 has some of the history for the sentinel races in it. When i work on my stuff that is the resource book i fall back on.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Rimmerdal
Knight

Protoculture wrote:Actually, me too.

Currently, I intend to merge & incorporate elements of Rifts Phaseworld books (3 Galaxies / Anvil Galaxy / Fleets of 3 Galaxies / Thundercloud Galaxy) into my tentative project ... Robotech: Galaxy which will include Tyrolian (pre-Robotech era) expansion & colonisation to deep space & subsequent rise of Robotech Imperium & subjugation of known civilisations in these galaxies by the Robotech Empire.

OTOH, I am using Mechanoids as the basis for Haydonite ancestors (tentatively named Robotech: Children of the Shadow) and juxtaposing with Macross OSM's Protoculture civilisation & backstory too as a template for pre Tyrolian ascendancy.

Once I completed the RT:CotS, then I am planning to include Gallforce (Eternal Story / Destruction / Stardust War) storyline that explained the conflict between Solnoid (ancestors of the Praxians) vs Paranoid (a distant Invid ancestor race that rejects FoL and ally of the Shadow) and dark forces that manipulated behind the scene events of the said conflict. Tentatively called Robotech: CotS series 1, Praxis: Rise & Fall of Solnoid Empire.

Then I will move on to Robotech: CotS - series 2, Peryton: Spacetime Destruction & Creation using the fantastical elements of SDC: Orguss as a major backstory for explaining the Perytonian "curse". Hint: the Mu (future robotic & mechanoid forces that rampaged the alternate Earth in SDC Orguss) will be explained as the far-future version descendant of Children of the Shadow.

As for Macross II, I will be bridging MII into Robotech-verse. In actuality, instead of using Mac DYRL as the main continuity to Macross II events, I'm using Robotech instead. Marduk will be reworked as a descendant from the long forgotten Disciple of Zor's faction.

I have plans to use the marduk as well. Thinking they will be a good basis for a number races that will branch out from them. That distant FoL regecting Invid though does spurn a few ideas. A rogue invid faction could be fun. and I have an idea....a good one I think.
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

Okay still slowly plugging at the project and a new story idea occurred. Now not sure who it should apply to or which race. was thinking it might one the ones that spans worlds. I'll post the premise and when I get it done in full I'll post here for opinion and the inevitable people to spot errors. :)

Premise:
A story that a warrior culture could use explain why there were stars in the sky. Each star is a dead warrior keeping the darkness away to protect those left they behind. the tale would be told around fires and to children who have lost family to war an other accidents.

Plan on a short 1-5 paragraph legnth.

Setting: the story takes place in a sentinel camp and is told by an old warrior near the end of his days. as he finishes the tale an Invid patrol will enter orbit and start an assault on the planet. The children will be sent off somewhere safe..leaving the fate of the old warrior to be untold.
taalismn wrote:

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”