could one still use magic

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oger333
Explorer

could one still use magic

Unread post by oger333 »

i was wondering if a wizard or magic user would be able to still use it if they go Bionic or genetic work done . or even the host armor from splicer
Brayon
Explorer

Re: could one still use magic

Unread post by Brayon »

By canon rules once a Spellcaster, or Psion, hits at least Partial Borg Status, they loose their Magic capabilities. Typically, the more cybernetics/bionics you get, the less skill in magic you have.

However, there are some non-canon sources that do allow Magic/Psionic powers to continue with cybernetic use.
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

As for genetic work or 'host armor' (haven't read Splicers yet so dunno) that might be okay, kind of like how you can get bio-wizardry without it hurting your magic.

Though I'm not sure if that applies to full bio-borgs ala Splynn Dimensional Market.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
oger333
Explorer

Unread post by oger333 »

what about cloned body parts
Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

oger333 wrote:what about cloned body parts

Pretty much all the Magic O.C.C.s say this:

Cybernetics: Starts with none and will avoid getting any cybernetic or other forms of physical augmentation because it interferes with magic. However, cybernetic prosthetics will he considered should they become necessary.
(Bolding mine). But Cloned Body Parts are included.

If its replacing Internal Organs, due to Injury or Disease, and/or a missing hand or foot, then and only then would a Spellcaster of Psion consider getting cybernetics. Even then their Spellcasting and Psionic abilities are hampered.

Bio-Wizardry like Tor mention, is a completely different ballgame, and I recommend looking for a Copy of Rifts: Atlantis, or Atlantis 2.
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Not seeing how cloned parts would be included, since they're natural organic replacements of existing body parts. Just like we see nothing about getting organ transplants interfering with PPE or spell-casting because it wouldn't have an impact on things. The living bio-armor of Splicers since it isn't mechanical shouldn't be a problem either (just like the living bio-armor that Biomancers can give you don't cause any problems for spell-casters).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I agree, Nightmask. Cloned body parts wouldn't interfere with magic or psionics.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Brayon wrote:
oger333 wrote:what about cloned body parts

Pretty much all the Magic O.C.C.s say this:

Cybernetics: Starts with none and will avoid getting any cybernetic or other forms of physical augmentation because it interferes with magic. However, cybernetic prosthetics will he considered should they become necessary.
(Bolding mine). But Cloned Body Parts are included.

If its replacing Internal Organs, due to Injury or Disease, and/or a missing hand or foot, then and only then would a Spellcaster of Psion consider getting cybernetics. Even then their Spellcasting and Psionic abilities are hampered.

Bio-Wizardry like Tor mention, is a completely different ballgame, and I recommend looking for a Copy of Rifts: Atlantis, or Atlantis 2.

Doesn't the section on cybernetics and magic users go on to talk about biologic replacements (and I can't for the life of me think of the name) and how if the magic user needed a replacement limb they would strive to get those because they don't interfere with magic? I'll check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure if you keep reading, the rest of the text contradicts what you are saying here.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

oger333 wrote:i was wondering if a wizard or magic user would be able to still use it if they go Bionic or genetic work done . or even the host armor from splicer

Bionics: up to a point there would be penalties, then No magic.
Eugenic modifications: *shrugs* I do not know of any text that cover this. Therefor, GM choice
Splicer Host Armor: *shrugs* I do not know of any text that cover this. Therefor, GM choice

Cloned or bio-system replacement limbs do not interfere with magic.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

There are ways for a mage to have Bionics without losing his abilities, they are just very rare and not something you should expect to get your hands on.
Salkind, the Metal Mage in Coalition Wars: final Siege has Bionics which don't hamper his abilities due to being made of a combination of alien alloys and ceramics. Whatever that alloy is would be required.
In theory, Bionics made of Gantrium would also not inhibit magical abilities as it has that same property when forged into armor, it makes sense that Bionics would share the trait. Salkind's stuff could very well be made of Gantrium for all we know.
Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

I stand corrected on the cloned body parts. :-)

Thank you, I've learned something new as well.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

where is gantrium found in the palladium library?
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Slight001 wrote:where is gantrium found in the palladium library?

PF: Northern Hinterlands mostly.
There is a tiny bit more info in Three Galaxies and the first Siege of Tolkeen Book.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

plus TW or magical "bionic parts" would not interfere as well.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Rimmerdal wrote:plus TW or magical "bionic parts" would not interfere as well.

Which the only examples of are in the headhunter variants in the Rifts Canada book & reprinted in the RBoM.

Giant2005 wrote:
Slight001 wrote:where is gantrium found in the palladium library?

PF: Northern Hinterlands mostly.
There is a tiny bit more info in Three Galaxies and the first Siege of Tolkeen Book.

And a tiny bit in the Rifter Monster Competition winners issue int eh text about the absorber's home planet.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Regarding getting genetic work done, I turned to Powers Unlimited 2, under the Eugenics power category, page 18

Powers Unlimited 2 wrote:Important Note: The acquisition of "human level" limbs and organs, cloned from the recipient's own body and used to replace lost and damaged parts has no negative effect on the recipient. Thus a spell caster, psychic or otherwise human hero can be healed and restored without complication.

Then it talks a but about superbeings and powers before it gets to this

Powers Unlimited 2 wrote:Even when the augmentation does work, the most genetic features a superhuman can receive is three. (Four or more causes super-powered, magical and psychic individuals to lose half of their attacks per melee round, and the range, damage, effects, and duration of all super abilities are also reduced by half.

It is the most I have seen on Genetic Engineering and its effects on Magic.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Nightmask
Palladin

13eowulf wrote:Regarding getting genetic work done, I turned to Powers Unlimited 2, under the Eugenics power category, page 18

Powers Unlimited 2 wrote:Important Note: The acquisition of "human level" limbs and organs, cloned from the recipient's own body and used to replace lost and damaged parts has no negative effect on the recipient. Thus a spell caster, psychic or otherwise human hero can be healed and restored without complication.

Powers Unlimited 2 wrote:Even when the augmentation does work, the most genetic features a superhuman can receive is three. (Four or more causes super-powered, magical and psychic individuals to lose half of their attacks per melee round, and the range, damage, effects, and duration of all super abilities are also reduced by half.

Hmmm, that last part really doesn't make any sense. There's no reason that genetic augmentation should cause such penalties especially such draconian ones.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Rimmerdal
Knight

Nightmask wrote:
13eowulf wrote:Regarding getting genetic work done, I turned to Powers Unlimited 2, under the Eugenics power category, page 18

Hmmm, that last part really doesn't make any sense. There's no reason that genetic augmentation should cause such penalties especially such draconian ones.

Unless there Cybernetic in some way...Nightmask is right. In rifts you can get genetically grown material and not have your Psionics or magic effected that bad.

Is that what Rifts will do in the long run or just the book writer taking liberties?
taalismn wrote:

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:

I never claimed it made sense, was just providing the only official word I was aware of regarding genetic manipulation and magic.

Then again I dont agree with the current Bionics rules as well.

That said I am on board with genetic enhancement/manipulation causing penalties for magic users, but I dont like the way they handled that here.
Last edited by 13eowulf on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rimmerdal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Unless there Cybernetic in some way...Nightmask is right. In rifts you can get genetically grown material and not have your Psionics or magic effected that bad.

Is that what Rifts will do in the long run or just the book writer taking liberties?

You can get cloned replacements without ill effect, it is if you get genetic manipulation/enhancement that the penalties kick in. Which, as a concept I can agree with. This implementation I don't necessarily agree with.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Nightmask
Palladin

13eowulf wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

You can get cloned replacements without ill effect, it is if you get genetic manipulation/enhancement that the penalties kick in. Which, as a concept I can agree with. This implementation I don't necessarily agree with.

Which, again, makes no sense. Super-powers at the least are often the result of genetic manipulation or mutation due to exposure to some mutagenic event so it hardly makes sense that further manipulation would cause massive penalties. Psionics are also something someone can get as a result of genetic manipulation so again it makes no sense that getting genetic augmentation via Eugenics would inflict massive penalties, and magic is a learned thing that again it shouldn't matter if you get genetic augmentation or mutated it shouldn't see any penalties. It's especially baffling that you'd get slower (as implied by cutting the number of attacks/melee in half) even if your augmentations were about speeding you up.

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Hmmm, that last part really doesn't make any sense. There's no reason that genetic augmentation should cause such penalties especially such draconian ones.

Which, again, makes no sense. Super-powers at the least are often the result of genetic manipulation or mutation due to exposure to some mutagenic event so it hardly makes sense that further manipulation would cause massive penalties. Psionics are also something someone can get as a result of genetic manipulation so again it makes no sense that getting genetic augmentation via Eugenics would inflict massive penalties, and magic is a learned thing that again it shouldn't matter if you get genetic augmentation or mutated it shouldn't see any penalties. It's especially baffling that you'd get slower (as implied by cutting the number of attacks/melee in half) even if your augmentations were about speeding you up.

I am gonna be quite specific here to avoid thread derailment: As this thread is all about the use of magic I have restricted my comments to that subject. When I said I agree with the concept of penalties for genetic manipulation I was referring to penalties for spell casters only. Not Psionics. Not Superpowers. Magic Users.
Further I have stated that I dont agree with the way penalties were implemented.
What I was doing with posting the quotes from the book was providing the location, and text, of official 'rules' regarding Genetic Manipulation and the use of magic.

As for penalties for magic from genetic augmentation, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that large scale artificial manipulation on a genetic level will interfere with the flow and control of one's PPE reserve.

Keep in mind that you are allowed three augmentation features. That can be the equivalent of three major super powers if chosen correctly, before any penalties. That is not a small amount of manipulation.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Rimmerdal
Knight

13eowulf wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Hmmm, that last part really doesn't make any sense. There's no reason that genetic augmentation should cause such penalties especially such draconian ones.

I am gonna be quite specific here to avoid thread derailment: As this thread is all about the use of magic I have restricted my comments to that subject. When I said I agree with the concept of penalties for genetic manipulation I was referring to penalties for spell casters only. Not Psionics. Not Superpowers. Magic Users.
Further I have stated that I dont agree with the way penalties were implemented.
What I was doing with posting the quotes from the book was providing the location, and text, of official 'rules' regarding Genetic Manipulation and the use of magic.

As for penalties for magic from genetic augmentation, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that large scale artificial manipulation on a genetic level will interfere with the flow and control of one's PPE reserve.

Keep in mind that you are allowed three augmentation features. That can be the equivalent of three major super powers if chosen correctly, before any penalties. That is not a small amount of manipulation.

The flow of PPE via genetics would imply magic is a genetic feature...which according to Official rules is not the case. Though I agree it should be based on genetics...but officially it should have no influence on magic.

My initial thought is the writers were probably not in sync which does happen. Sounds like a question for Kevin.
taalismn wrote:

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rimmerdal wrote:
13eowulf wrote:I am gonna be quite specific here to avoid thread derailment: As this thread is all about the use of magic I have restricted my comments to that subject. When I said I agree with the concept of penalties for genetic manipulation I was referring to penalties for spell casters only. Not Psionics. Not Superpowers. Magic Users.

The flow of PPE via genetics would imply magic is a genetic feature...which according to Official rules is not the case. Though I agree it should be based on genetics...but officially it should have no influence on magic.

My initial thought is the writers were probably not in sync which does happen. Sounds like a question for Kevin.

Actually that is not what I said, nor meant, nor implied.
It has already been established that the presence of a significant or dominating amount artificial material in or around the spell caster, be it Plate Mail, or cybernetics/bionics, interferes with 'the flow of PPE'*. Further the amount inside the body needed to interfere with this is far less than the amount around our outside the body
To my mind artificial manipulation or enhancement of one's genetic material would similarly interfere with one's spell casting ability in a way that a natural mutation would not.

Genetic Manipulation/Engineering/Augmentation ≠ Natural Mutation.

* That particular phrase 'the flow of PPE' was a flavourful turn of phrase referring to someone's ability to cast spells, and nothing else.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Nightmask
Palladin

13eowulf wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:
13eowulf wrote:I am gonna be quite specific here to avoid thread derailment: As this thread is all about the use of magic I have restricted my comments to that subject. When I said I agree with the concept of penalties for genetic manipulation I was referring to penalties for spell casters only. Not Psionics. Not Superpowers. Magic Users.

It has already been established that the presence of a significant or dominating amount artificial material in or around the spell caster, be it Plate Mail, or cybernetics/bionics, interferes with 'the flow of PPE'*. Further the amount inside the body needed to interfere with this is far less than the amount around our outside the body
To my mind artificial manipulation or enhancement of one's genetic material would similarly interfere with one's spell casting ability in a way that a natural mutation would not.

* That particular phrase 'the flow of PPE' was a flavourful turn of phrase referring to someone's ability to cast spells, and nothing else.

And why would that matter? A gene changes why would it matter if it were natural or artificially changed? It's not like you can tell the difference.

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:

And why would that matter? A gene changes why would it matter if it were natural or artificially changed? It's not like you can tell the difference.

Aside from the obvious "Nature would know" and the fun & flavourful "Magic would know"; there is in fact a great deal of difference between artificial and natural... well, anything. The first and foremost being that one is artificial, and the other is natural.

Although to be honest if one is gonna sit there straight faced and imply that there is no difference between the artificial and the natural of anything, then anything else I say will be a waste of time, because it only makes sense if one understands that there is a difference between things (like natural genetics) that are naturally occurring, and things (like manipulated genes) that are artificial. And since I havent the time nor the energy to engage in what will undoubtedly (given a review of past threads) turn out to be a lengthy and tiresome back and forth with no end in sight I will end it here.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Nightmask
Palladin

13eowulf wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
13eowulf wrote:Actually that is not what I said, nor meant, nor implied.

Aside from the obvious "Nature would know" and the fun & flavourful "Magic would know"; there is in fact a great deal of difference between artificial and natural... well, anything. The first and foremost being that one is artificial, and the other is natural.

Although to be honest if one is gonna sit there straight faced and imply that there is no difference between the artificial and the natural of anything, then anything else I say will be a waste of time, because it only makes sense if one understands that there is a difference between things (like natural genetics) that are naturally occurring, and things (like manipulated genes) that are artificial. And since I havent the time nor the energy to engage in what will undoubtedly (given a review of past threads) turn out to be a lengthy and tiresome back and forth with no end in sight I will end it here.

I'm not implying anything I'm stating it outright because it's true. If you think a naturally occurring sugar molecule is somehow different than an artificially created one then you don't really understand molecules (or DNA for that matter), there is literally nothing different between the two. Nature obviously isn't going to know there's a difference because there is no difference to know, they're identical in all ways and there's certainly nothing about magic where it exists as a sentient force to know or care (particularly since we're told it doesn't care about some mods) how someone's genetics were modified.

Frankly I'm amazed that you seem to seriously think how a molecule was created or a DNA strand modified matters or that somehow you could tell H2O that was created from a naturally occurring source of hydrogen apart from H2O created in a lab because you can't. There's nothing any less natural about the lab process than the non-lab process and nothing about it that would leave some way of telling them apart on what was created/modified.

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I have taste tested (blind study) lab grown versions of many natural foods and successfully identified the natural and lab versions each time.
Your statement is a not a fact it is opinion.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

Damian Magecraft wrote:I have taste tested (blind study) lab grown versions of many natural foods and successfully identified the natural and lab versions each time.

Congratulations, you are a super-taster. Welcome to the 15%.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

torjones wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:I have taste tested (blind study) lab grown versions of many natural foods and successfully identified the natural and lab versions each time.

you think you are being facetious...
But anyone who has had a wide and varied diet will be able to do the same.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Nightmask
Palladin

So apparently you think you've the ability to taste the difference between two identical molecules based on being able to notice differences in taste between a complex mix of molecules in food items when even identical food items grown in nature can taste differently because of things like soil differences and the fact the seeds themselves aren't genetically identical? Epic fail there with that fallacy, not the least of which using the 'overgeneralizing from personal experience' fallacy and being confused regarding what your personal experience actually represents.

Sorry but you just don't know what a fact is here, and it's a fact you're not going to tell the difference between identical molecules because they're identical. They possess no traits to differentiate between them based on the process that created them. Just as you can't use DNA testing to tell identical twins apart because you can't, their DNA is identical, the only way you might tell them apart is based on individual scars or other features (like different trace elements in their bodies).

arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

It could be the difference is the "human factor", that humans haven't reached a point of being able to truly duplicate the human genome. I'm recalling those studies where they tried genetic manipulation on kids with a disease causing no immune system. The bulk of the kids gained something of an immune system...and leukemia. The genetic manipulation just wasn't good enough.

So maybe the books are saying that when someone's DNA is tinkered with, the doctors are just never good enough to do it in such a way as to not disrupt the flow of PPE.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Damian Magecraft wrote:
torjones wrote:

I know I was able to, and probably for the same reason.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Nightmask wrote:

So apparently you think you've the ability to taste the difference between two identical molecules based on being able to notice differences in taste between a complex mix of molecules in food items when even identical food items grown in nature can taste differently because of things like soil differences and the fact the seeds themselves aren't genetically identical? Epic fail there with that fallacy, not the least of which using the 'overgeneralizing from personal experience' fallacy and being confused regarding what your personal experience actually represents.

Sorry but you just don't know what a fact is here, and it's a fact you're not going to tell the difference between identical molecules because they're identical. They possess no traits to differentiate between them based on the process that created them. Just as you can't use DNA testing to tell identical twins apart because you can't, their DNA is identical, the only way you might tell them apart is based on individual scars or other features (like different trace elements in their bodies).
Apparently neither do you.
you are making assumptions that lab created items are identical to nature created but then state that "contaminants" can effect the nature created.
wow, way to contradict your base argument and support my statement that it is opinion.
Rimmerdal
Knight

arouetta wrote:It could be the difference is the "human factor", that humans haven't reached a point of being able to truly duplicate the human genome. I'm recalling those studies where they tried genetic manipulation on kids with a disease causing no immune system. The bulk of the kids gained something of an immune system...and leukemia. The genetic manipulation just wasn't good enough.

So maybe the books are saying that when someone's DNA is tinkered with, the doctors are just never good enough to do it in such a way as to not disrupt the flow of PPE.

Tinkered or not its still organic. But on a personal note...I'll agree with you since I'm firm believer Genetics and magic should be more in line to better explain the rules they have governing magic.

Officially I think there just trying to keep the power level down or just not reading all of each others material. I know its a rule I will toss in regards to the genetic engineering part anyway and rule if its organic..if fine for mages. Only if they have mechanical parts will such a penalty come into play.

The only viable difference will how that cloned liver tastes..not function or material.

looks like a liver...tastes like Tofu...:P (Genetics lab Ad)
taalismn wrote:

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Hrm perhaps the reason that genetics impair magic IS the same as cybernetics...you have changed the beings essential nature from what it WAS to what it is NOW. and that magic is intimately involved with stuff like that.....it could have an effect.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

oger333 wrote:i was wondering if a wizard or magic user would be able to still use it if they go Bionic or genetic work done . or even the host armor from splicer
How I run it (not necessarily canon)
Bionic - no (artificial/inorganics)
genetic replacements - yes (organics)
genetic manipulations - maybe (depends on the party power level, over all theme of the game, what the manipulations are, etc...)
Host armor - not just no but **** no. (host armor is powerful enough on its own it doesn't need the "boost")
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
torjones wrote:

Um, no. Actually, I'm not being facetious. It's medically documented that some people are capable of tasting more finely than others. I am not one of them, unfortunately.
Yes, the sense of taste can be trained, but that training itself does not make one a super-taster. That training will allow one to improve that which you start with, but can't give you the greater number of fungiform papillae. For a limited introduction to the phenomenon, please do a wiki search for "Super Taster." You'll see what I'm on about.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
Rimmerdal
Knight

eliakon wrote:Hrm perhaps the reason that genetics impair magic IS the same as cybernetics...you have changed the beings essential nature from what it WAS to what it is NOW. and that magic is intimately involved with stuff like that.....it could have an effect.

The issue with magic is largely living tissue versus non-living. The sole exception being magical implants which are rare and don't seem to have a manufacturer on earth. But if that liver were made of inorganic material then yes it should be a an implant.

That said most made in a lab still use organic material. the only use I can see inorganic ones for would be hazardous environments or by the CS to cripple a mage. (Implant most of his internal organs with 'cybernertic' or inorganic Bioware..
taalismn wrote:

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rimmerdal wrote:
eliakon wrote:Hrm perhaps the reason that genetics impair magic IS the same as cybernetics...you have changed the beings essential nature from what it WAS to what it is NOW. and that magic is intimately involved with stuff like that.....it could have an effect.

The issue with magic is largely living tissue versus non-living. The sole exception being magical implants which are rare and don't seem to have a manufacturer on earth. But if that liver were made of inorganic material then yes it should be a an implant.

That said most made in a lab still use organic material. the only use I can see inorganic ones for would be hazardous environments or by the CS to cripple a mage. (Implant most of his internal organs with 'cybernertic' or inorganic Bioware..

Organic ≠ Natural

Organic: relating to or derived from living matter.
Natural: existing in nature; not made or caused by humankind.

I would say that What "magic" objects to is the 'unnatural' even if it is organic. And that 'magical implants', being by their own existence infused with magical energies, get a pass.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Rimmerdal
Knight

13eowulf wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:

Organic ≠ Natural

I would say that What "magic" objects to is the 'unnatural' even if it is organic. And that 'magical implants', being by their own existence infused with magical energies, get a pass.

sorry dude, you just said Derived from living material...living material is natural. Now a metal or mechanical liver is not organic..while one grown in vat of a sample of a living one or even one based on the codes for a living one is organic and hence alive. Even if said grown liver is enhanced to peak efficiency. Only if super powers are possessed could be a problem..not be the liver its self. The super power might conflict depending on your GM and likely for balance issues in most cases.

If it is alive or its not...simple...A is A and regardless of source or what universe its in; has the properties of A. We will just need to agree to disagree on your definition of alive and natural.
taalismn wrote:

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rimmerdal wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:

Organic ≠ Natural

sorry dude, you just said Derived from living material...living material is natural. Now a metal or mechanical liver is not organic..while one grown in vat of a sample of a living one or even one based on the codes for a living one is organic and hence alive. Even if said grown liver is enhanced to peak efficiency. Only if super powers are possessed could be a problem..not be the liver its self. The super power might conflict depending on your GM and likely for balance issues in most cases.

If it is alive or its not...simple...A is A and regardless of source or what universe its in; has the properties of A. We will just need to agree to disagree on your definition of alive and natural.

Untrue, in the Palladium Megaverse, there are MANY examples of living organisms that were grown in a lab, or modified, by humankind. Their very existence is 'unnatural', even if they are Organic.

again Organic ≠ Natural

Just because it is alive does not mean i is natural. Just because it is Natural does not mean it is alive.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Rimmerdal
Knight

13eowulf wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:

Organic ≠ Natural

Untrue, in the Palladium Megaverse, there are MANY examples of living organisms that were grown in a lab, or modified, by humankind. Their very existence is 'unnatural', even if they are Organic.

again Organic ≠ Natural

Just because it is alive does not mean i is natural. Just because it is Natural does not mean it is alive.

A is A no matter what. if its cloned, derived from living material or natural born and organic...its alive and quite organic. That cloned and living life made in a lab still is organic and derived form organic life along the line somewhere. There may be some exception but as general rule.. If its organic it lives and is natural according to this rule.

do not confuse that with Sentient machines (as in mechanical or inorganic Biological machines made to look like life forms) with living life forms (Organic and non mechanical.)
taalismn wrote:

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rimmerdal wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:The issue with magic is largely living tissue versus non-living. The sole exception being magical implants which are rare and don't seem to have a manufacturer on earth. But if that liver were made of inorganic material then yes it should be a an implant.

Organic ≠ Natural

again Organic ≠ Natural

A is A no matter what. if its cloned, derived from living material or natural born and organic...its alive and quite organic. That cloned and living life made in a lab still is organic and derived form organic life along the line somewhere. There may be some exception but as general rule.. If its organic it lives and is natural according to this rule.

do not confuse that with Sentient machines (as in mechanical or inorganic Biological machines made to look like life forms) with living life forms (Organic and non mechanical.)

Is... is this a troll... or a joke? Are your REALLY trying to say that everything grown in a lab is actually Natural and not Man Made?

Let us further clarify the word Natural, so there is no confusion.:
-That exists and evolved with the confines of an ecosystem
-Of or relating to nature.
-Without artificial additives
-Without, or prior to, modification or adjustment.

Something can be organic WITHOUT being Natural. And many such forms of life exist in the Megaverse.

If humans (or other races) made it in a lab, or artificially changed it from it's original form, it is no longer Natural.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Rimmerdal
Knight

13eowulf wrote:Is... is this a troll... or a joke? Are your REALLY trying to say that everything grown in a lab is actually Natural and not Man Made?

Something can be organic WITHOUT being Natural. And many such forms of life exist in the Megaverse.

If humans (or other races) made it in a lab, or artificially changed it from it's original form, it is no longer Natural.

Organic implies it is alive at some point is based on living life form of some type. A lab does not change the fact it derived from a life form. As I said if the grown organ was a mechanical or a type of organ made non-organic matter that resembled a living organ (or those derived of living) its not organic. Natural or not Magic doesn't care..its where its alive and can Possess PPE..thats all that matters.

Its whether Cloned organs that are genetically altered will disrupt magic..and guess what? if there organic material..they don't. A mage is fine so long as the organ is organic whether or not its 'natural' according to your definition. Sorry I disagree with your definition of what constitutes as 'natural'.

The reason I see no reason to call genetic engineering unnatural. Nature already does Genetic engineering...its called evolution. this planet is one very big lab experiment gone wild. Much as we would all like to think we humans are the masters of genetics .....Man is not the first to tinker with genetics. We just do it faster than mother nature is all. And I did not say everything is natural...last I checked I was just talking about organs in the frame of this thread...so try and stay focused.

Oh and I'm not trolling. If I we're trolling I'd be calling you names and making fun of you and clearly I'm not. You don't like my response just agree to disagree with out hard feelings and let go...like the rest of us here. After all if we did agree on everything what point would there be to these forums? :P
taalismn wrote:

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If I we're trolling I'd be calling you names and making fun of you
Trolling does not require name-calling or personal attacks. I must assume you are describing how you would troll if you opted to troll and not some kind of all-inclusive definition.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Rimmerdal
Knight

Tor wrote:
If I we're trolling I'd be calling you names and making fun of you
Trolling does not require name-calling or personal attacks. I must assume you are describing how you would troll if you opted to troll and not some kind of all-inclusive definition.

It usually does come with it. so I tend to lump name calling with trolls. Trolls tend to be insult others. and you would be correct it is not required. Just most trolls I've seen tend to insult (directly or indirectly) and that experience is what I'm going off of. so out habit I view trolling that way.
taalismn wrote:

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Rimmerdal wrote:
13eowulf wrote:Is... is this a troll... or a joke? Are your REALLY trying to say that everything grown in a lab is actually Natural and not Man Made?

Organic implies it is alive at some point is based on living life form of some type. A lab does not change the fact it derived from a life form. As I said if the grown organ was a mechanical or a type of organ made non-organic matter that resembled a living organ (or those derived of living) its not organic. Natural or not Magic doesn't care..its where its alive and can Possess PPE..thats all that matters.

Its whether Cloned organs that are genetically altered will disrupt magic..and guess what? if there organic material..they don't. A mage is fine so long as the organ is organic whether or not its 'natural' according to your definition. Sorry I disagree with your definition of what constitutes as 'natural'.

The reason I see no reason to call genetic engineering unnatural. Nature already does Genetic engineering...its called evolution. this planet is one very big lab experiment gone wild. Much as we would all like to think we humans are the masters of genetics .....Man is not the first to tinker with genetics. We just do it faster than mother nature is all. And I did not say everything is natural...last I checked I was just talking about organs in the frame of this thread...so try and stay focused.

Oh and I'm not trolling. If I we're trolling I'd be calling you names and making fun of you and clearly I'm not. You don't like my response just agree to disagree with out hard feelings and let go...like the rest of us here. After all if we did agree on everything what point would there be to these forums? :P

Nooo. Plastic for instance is organic...but not alive, nor based on the living. It is also not Natural (ie found in nature) but Synthetic (ie synthesized by man). This is what the rest of us are talking about. Natural vs Sythentic not Organic vs Inorganic.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Rimmerdal
Knight

eliakon wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:

Nooo. Plastic for instance is organic...but not alive, nor based on the living. It is also not Natural (ie found in nature) but Synthetic (ie synthesized by man). This is what the rest of us are talking about. Natural vs Sythentic not Organic vs Inorganic.

I did say Alive and organic. I didn't say there weren't non-living Organic or Living inorganics stuff/life forms. Just said Cloned Organis organs counted as good for magic as naturally exsisting ones. As I'm never going to see eye-to-eye....no point in argueing and getting harsh feelings or Mods to shut us down.
taalismn wrote:

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Rimmerdal wrote:I tend to lump name calling with trolls. Trolls tend to be insult others.

Just most trolls I've seen tend to insult (directly or indirectly)

I would argue that most trolling involves INDIRECT insults, and namecalling is direct.

Being that it requires falsehood (presenting false opinions to enflame) trolling is inherently linked to misdirection, so direct insults are against the spirit of trolling.

The classic troll which should define the steretype is more of a 'I will convey a general opinion that upsets others' moreso than 'I will convey a specific insult that insults a particular person/group'.

A "perhaps x group should be locked up" rather than "you x groups are ADJECTIVE".

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”